Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

XR2 Remote and RF Mode

Frequent Visitor

XR2 Remote and RF Mode

I just had the X1 installed. In the doumentation that came with the XR2 Remote, there is a section titled "Installing your digital set-top box or DTA out of sight". I tried following the directions and could not get it to provide the 3 digit code so I could pair the remote to the set-top box. I called Comcast twice. The first time I was told that it was because of the menu that I have on my X1 and that a fix was coming. I called back again and was told that I needed the XR5 remote in order to accomplish what I wanted to do.

My questions are:

1) Which response is correct, if either?

2) What is the correct answer?

2) If the XR2 doesn't support this function, why is it in the XR2 Remote documentation?

Regular Contributor

Re: XR2 Remote and RF Mode

Hold the setup button down
The all power light will turn green
Hold down the xfinity button
Should get the 3 digit code
Valued Contributor

jimg57 wrote:

I just had the X1 installed. In the doumentation that came with the XR2 Remote, there is a section titled "Installing your digital set-top box or DTA out of sight". I tried following the directions and could not get it to provide the 3 digit code so I could pair the remote to the set-top box. I called Comcast twice. The first time I was told that it was because of the menu that I have on my X1 and that a fix was coming.  Not so!  I called back again and was told that I needed the XR5 remote in order to accomplish what I wanted to do.  Not so!  The XR5 is the same as the XR2 except that it includes excellent backlighting for 30 seconds triggered by a motion sensor, has larger buttons to accomodate the backlighting and is ruggedized.

My questions are:

1) Which response is correct, if either?  Neither!

2) What is the correct answer?

2) If the XR2 doesn't support this function, why is it in the XR2 Remote documentation?  It does support this function.

If the X1 box has already been paired with an XR2, there will be no response when you attempt pairing.  To determine if a remote is paired with the X1 box, simply push the top of the remote into your belly and see if the X1 box responds to commands.  If it does, it's paired.  If it doesn't, it's not.

My experience is that if one remote has been paired with an X1 box, you should be able to pair with another remote without first un-pairing the first remote.  As soon as you pair with a second remote, the first remote is no longer paired with the X1 box.

Bronze Problem Solver

jehill wrote:

My experience is that if one remote has been paired with an X1 box, you should be able to pair with another remote without first un-pairing the first remote.  As soon as you pair with a second remote, the first remote is no longer paired with the X1 box.

I have 3 X1 DVR's and two XR2 remotes paired to each of them.  No problems setting them up or using them.

Frequent Visitor

So this may be the catch... I am trying to do this with a satellite box, not a main DVR box. I've read that it doesn't work with the satellite boxes. Is this correct?

Second, related question. I have an IR extender that worked fine with my old, silver, pizza sized Comcast box. I can get that to work occassionally, but it is inconsistent. Does anyone know exactly where I need to stick the extension to on the face of the satellite box? I've gotten it to work intermittently in several different places.

Official Employee

Correct only the dvr can be paired

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

You plug the extender into the X1 Companion but you place the IR extender where you would most likely point the remote, such as on the TV. Do not place it on the front of the cable box...

jimg57 wrote:

So this may be the catch... I am trying to do this with a satellite box, not a main DVR box. I've read that it doesn't work with the satellite boxes. Is this correct?

Second, related question. I have an IR extender that worked fine with my old, silver, pizza sized Comcast box. I can get that to work occassionally, but it is inconsistent. Does anyone know exactly where I need to stick the extension to on the face of the satellite box? I've gotten it to work intermittently in several different places.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation