Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

XI3 set top box will not rewind or pause tv in second room

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 1 of 22

I have the X1 triple play system and the second set top box i have, an XI3 box, will not rewind or pause live tv.

The main X1 DVR box works relatively ok, besides randomly deciding the left or right button should be the 2 or 5 button, but the second set top box does not.

The XI3 box i have in my room is supposed to allow rewind and pause functionality. It takes away one of the lines from the X1 box so instead of having 4 lines to record on the main tv and live tv in the second room, it gives you 3 lines to record on the main tv and live tv with pause and rewind functionality on the secont box.

This worked perfectly until about a week ago. Ever since then, the rewind and pause functions do not work. The only way to get them to work is to unplug the XI3 box (since it does not have a power button) and plug it back in. They will work for about an hour until they stop working and i am told again by an onscreen prompt that rewind or pause are not available on this box.

I ask here if there is any resolution to this problem because calling customer service is a 40 minute waste of time and the online chat is basically the same. No one can resolve this and 90% of the time i am told that there is no set top box for the X1 system that allows rewind or pause, which is obviously not true. It takes me 40 minutes on the phone of constantly being told i am wrong and to please hold for just another minute as the employee waits for a supervisor or another employee to help them. Who ever Mario is, i have heard your name on three calls so far as the employee is begging you for help. Each time i have been told by the rep that i need to bring my box into a local xfinity store to have it swapped out. I was also told i couldnt activate any services until i returned my old boxes as the rep didnt know how to handle the situation. Each time i went to the store i was told by the Xfinity rep that the employee i spoke with did not know what they were talking about and flat out lied to be just to get me off the phone. So wonderful customer service on Xfinitys half. Basically straight inline with what everyone on the internet and consumer reports say.

The chat was no better. In between obvious copy and paste comment, or the need to tell me about additional services and faqs between every comment, they were not ableto resolve my issue. I just want to get the service i am paying for. Everything about this X1 service has been a nightmare since i got it. Nothing works as it should and unplugging my box every hour is not an answer to why i cant rewind my tv.

21 REPLIES
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 22

Pull out the SD card in the back and put it right back. Happened to me, and it's been going all day fine. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 3 of 22

Yea that just froze the box completely. Its saying its having errors showing live tv now or it just sits on the loading screen. If i have to do this every hour this is not worth it at all. The point of having this function available is me walking back into my room and seeing something and wanting to rewind it. If i have to walk into my room, see something i want to rewind, unplug the system or pop out the card to initate the rewind, what is the point?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 4 of 22

Turned my tv on after work and same problem. Unplugging the card is the same as unplugging the box and only is a temporary fix.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 5 of 22

Nope. That is not the case. Restarting does not work. Re-seating the SD card does not work. Just easier to sell the things by touting services Comcast has no intention of delivering on, I imagine.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 6 of 22

Comcast is aware of this bug and they are working on it. The issue has been discussed in other, similar threads.........

gdbloom wrote:

Nope. That is not the case. Restarting does not work. Re-seating the SD card does not work. Just easier to sell the things by touting services Comcast has no intention of delivering on, I imagine.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 7 of 22
Hawk and gdbloom, can each of you test your Xi3 ( without power cycling first) and see if it pauses or not. If it can't can you PM me your serial numbers of the Xi3 you have.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 8 of 22
It's been a few days since I reset the SD card and verified that rewind was working. I tried it this morning, and it worked. So, either my problem is intermittent, or something changed on the Comcast side.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 9 of 22

Just unboxed my Xi3. Pause/rewind not working (SD is seated, trying pulling and reseating). I get "This Set top box does not support it" error, like my old X1 remote box. Any ideas?  FWIW, Voice Search is also not working (on another thread) if they could be related in any way.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 10 of 22
Call in to make sure the proper ( up to date) firmware has been loaded, if not they will have to manually push it

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 11 of 22

I'm having this same issue as well, can't pause and rewind live tv. I just set up the xi3 box and the SD card is in fine. I've tried taking it out and putting it back in and tried power cycling it and still nothing. I spoke with a comcast rep today who said they never activated it for the "instant replay" feature. She said she activated it and it should be working. It still isn't. Her solution was to exchange it for another one. Is that really the problem or does an update just need to be sent to the box?

*******EDIT*******

I think i may have fixed it by taking the SD card out and doing the reboot with the SD card not inserted. Once i rebooted it I put the SD card back in and the system rebooted itself again and now it's working. Fingers crossed that it stays that way. 

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 12 of 22

minusblindfold wrote:

I'm having this same issue as well, can't pause and rewind live tv. I just set up the xi3 box and the SD card is in fine. I've tried taking it out and putting it back in and tried power cycling it and still nothing. I spoke with a comcast rep today who said they never activated it for the "instant replay" feature. She said she activated it and it should be working. It still isn't. Her solution was to exchange it for another one. Is that really the problem or does an update just need to be sent to the box?

*******EDIT*******

I think i may have fixed it by taking the SD card out and doing the reboot with the SD card not inserted. Once i rebooted it I put the SD card back in and the system rebooted itself again and now it's working. Fingers crossed that it stays that way. 

Please reboot your Xi3 Device, I was able to push the latest firmware to your box.   This should resolve your issues.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 13 of 22

I have the same issue.  Can you do the same for my box?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 14 of 22

My Xi3 is frustrating me to no end. Can you push a firmware update to me as well?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 15 of 22

Did you pop out the SD card and put it back in?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 16 of 22

I had the same issue after installing and setting up a new Xi3.  Tried the SD tricks and power down without any luck.  I called Xfinity tech support and the firmware / software update they pushed worked and it wasn't a long call to do so.  Hope this helps someone.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 17 of 22

I'm having the same problem.  How do I get the firmware update?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 18 of 22

MidnightDad wrote:

I'm having the same problem.  How do I get the firmware update?

"I called Xfinity tech support"

?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 19 of 22
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 20 of 22

MidnightDad wrote:

Is this the latest?

mine is same xre but STB firmware 2.3p9s2 with timestamp 5/19/2016

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 21 of 22
Thanks for the help it was just the SD card that came out all I had to do was push it back in
Posted by
Visitor

Message 22 of 22
I need the firmwear update. How can i get it?