Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

XG2

Contributor

XG2

All,

I just got an email from my local comcast representative that she has just received some Samsung XG2 boxes. I recently switched to X1 and have one of the Arris boxes which is working great. Should I be an early adopter of the new XG2 box or wait for them to work out the kinks. What are the new features? Anyone have hands on experience with this box?
Expert
Contributor

Re: XG2

Given people's early experience with the X1, that's probably not a good thing. I may go to the store on Saturday to check it out. Thanks!
Official Employee

Re: XG2

According to
http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/
You may be in a trial area
Looks close to an Xi3 but with composite and HDMI outputs and digital audio output
Problem Solver

Re: XG2

I believe this is the new model without a hard drive, so all recordings simply stream from the cloud. Also, I believe it has a wifi radio.

 

Sounds like the logical next step in STBs.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: XG2

This product appears to address the weak spots of the Xi3. It is BADLY needed...

Expert

Re: XG2


dwrexv1307 wrote:
All,

I just got an email from my local comcast representative that she has just received some Samsung XG2 boxes. I recently switched to X1 and have one of the Arris boxes which is working great. Should I be an early adopter of the new XG2 box or wait for them to work out the kinks. What are the new features? Anyone have hands on experience with this box?

Note that this is a companion with no DVR.  If your Arris is a DVR, I don't think you want to swap.  But if you have a need for a companion in addition to an Arris DVR, go for it.

Contributor

Re: XG2

Is this true that it's just a companion? I definitely need a DVR. My impression was that this is eventually going to replace the XG1s, just everything will be in the cloud.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: XG2

Yes Robert is right. This clearly appears to be a "Companion" box and as I just mentioned, an important step up from Xi3.

Every mention of this box I found mention IP based so it must not have any tuners just like Xi3. Comcast's own document says clearly says this box is a NON-DVR. However I just found a document that said the FCC tested this device with a CableCard which suggests it does have tuners.

It is very possible this box is BOTH a cloud only DVR AND a Companion box. But Comcast does not appear ready for a cloud only DVR. At this point in time and unless somebody from Comcast who would be in a position to know cares to fill is in, I would view the XG2 as only a Companion box at this time.

Expert

Re: XG2

I would swap out my RNG150's for the XG2, as long as it didn't use my X1 tuners.  No way to know whether this is accurate:

 

http://www.multichannel.com/blog/bauminator/pace-also-board-comcast-s-xg2/388496

 

"The FCC test documents, first spotted by The Donohue Report, reveal some details on a the coming hybrid (QAM/IP) gateway device (a schematic of the unit is pictured above), with tests run on two boxes – one equipped with a CableCARD module from Arris, and another with a security module from Cisco Systems.  As The Donohue Report notes, it’ll also come with integrated WiFi, Bluetooth and ZigBee radios. - See more at: http://www.multichannel.com/blog/bauminator/pace-also-board-comcast-s-xg2/388496#sthash.20gszzEt.dpu...

 

Comcast could choose to turn off any of those features, just like they have done with their current boxes.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: XG2

QAM/IP suggests it has tuners... Sure sounds like a cloud only DVR to me.

But is Comcast ready to launch this box as anything other than a Companion?

On another note, lets just say Comcast IS ready to test this box as a cloud only DVR in some markets. Quite honestly that would peeve me a great deal bit considering the Twin Cities market still has ZERO cloud DVR services!!!

I have already been paying for cloud DVR services for two years and not receiving them...



RobertWy wrote:

I would swap out my RNG150's for the XG2, as long as it didn't use my X1 tuners.  No way to know whether this is accurate:

 

http://www.multichannel.com/blog/bauminator/pace-also-board-comcast-s-xg2/388496

 

"The FCC test documents, first spotted by The Donohue Report, reveal some details on a the coming hybrid (QAM/IP) gateway device (a schematic of the unit is pictured above), with tests run on two boxes – one equipped with a CableCARD module from Arris, and another with a security module from Cisco Systems.  As The Donohue Report notes, it’ll also come with integrated WiFi, Bluetooth and ZigBee radios. - See more at: http://www.multichannel.com/blog/bauminator/pace-also-board-comcast-s-xg2/388496#sthash.20gszzEt.dpu...

 

Comcast could choose to turn off any of those features, just like they have done with their current boxes.


 

Expert

Re: XG2

Rick, I would hope they would have the smarts to turn on cloud in your area before rolling out the XG2.

 

But it's real hard to expect Comcast to do something smart. <G>

Problem Solver

Re: XG2

Yeah, this is the cloud-only gateway. It means that DVR and non-DVR customers get the same STB. I imagine this would initially be deployed in areas that have Cloud, but it could probably replace RNG150s in non-Cloud areas too.

The ZigBee functionality sounds very interesting--it could become a home automation hub.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: XG2

Not sure about the Zigbee sc. Zigbee is already being used in current boxes. That is the protocol the RF remotes use.

I suspect the current X1 boxes have already Zigbee, Bluetooth and WiFi. Comcast simply neutered the abilities.


scjohnson312 wrote:
Yeah, this is the cloud-only gateway. It means that DVR and non-DVR customers get the same STB. I imagine this would initially be deployed in areas that have Cloud, but it could probably replace RNG150s in non-Cloud areas too.

The ZigBee functionality sounds very interesting--it could become a home automation hub.




Expert

Re: XG2

I sure wish all my X1 boxes had wifi so that I could have better coverage in my home.

 

Didn't I read somewhere that Comcast was going to do something like that?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: XG2

We can speculate all we want about this new box. I suspect people from Comcast must get a chuckle out of all the speculation we do here in this forum.

I this sc is right. This is the new "cloud only DVR". However see below.

I think Robert is also right. Comcast can obviously activate or deactivate any of the features of this box they wish which means as sc suggested this box could easily serve as a Companion.

But I also think I am right as well. Based on the info provided here: http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/ I feel Comcast is initially launching this device as a Companion box...

Besides, I still have found nothing in regards to NUMBER OF TUNERS this device has. What if it is single tuner like RNG-150???



Problem Solver

Re: XG2

Forgot about the existing ZigBee support! Hopefully home automation features come to existing STBs as well then.

 

I can't seem to find anything about the number of tuners it has, but it has got to be a multiple tuner device to support Xi3s. That would be the only purpose for them, since cloud tuners handle recordings. Maybe someone with more RF knowledge can find out via the links below how many tuners this has.

 

However, Comcast's site does appear to be wrong about the component output. All of the FCC documents show that both the Pace and the Samsung XG2 do not have component.

 

For Pace XG2v2 graphics and info: https://fccid.io/NQ8PX022ANX

For Samsung XG2v2 photos and info: https://fccid.io/A3LSX022AN (includes internal photos as well)

Official Employee

Re: XG2

Where does it say it has component ?

Problem Solver

Re: XG2


ComcastAndrew wrote:

Where does it say it has component ?


http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/

 

In the grid at the bottom, next to Component, it should be Yes (RNG 150N only) under X1 non-DVR, as XG2 is lumped into that column

Gold Problem Solver

Re: XG2

sc,

I am concerned the document on the Comcast web site may have more inaccuracies. I could be wrong but I cannot believe that at this point in time, any manufacturer would build a product with component outputs (look up analog sunset). The lack of component outputs is totally understandable.

On a related note, I recently installed a new brand new Yamaha AV receiver for a good friend. He has tons of sources he wanted to connect so he needed a receiver that had composite, component and HDMI switching. I could not make the component input on the Yamaha work. After studying the Yamaha owners manual, it occurred to me that the component inputs could accept nothing past 480p. Once I set the source unit to 480p, it worked perfectly.

Ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, the AV companies are trying really hard to kill HD video over component. They can no longer adequately copy guard it.

My recommendation to be that anyone who reads this in the future please do not spend one single dime of money trying to be compatible with HD component video.

Sorry for the off topic rant...


scjohnson312 wrote:

Forgot about the existing ZigBee support! Hopefully home automation features come to existing STBs as well then.

 

I can't seem to find anything about the number of tuners it has, but it has got to be a multiple tuner device to support Xi3s. That would be the only purpose for them, since cloud tuners handle recordings. Maybe someone with more RF knowledge can find out via the links below how many tuners this has.

 

However, Comcast's site does appear to be wrong about the component output. All of the FCC documents show that both the Pace and the Samsung XG2 do not have component.

 

For Pace XG2v2 graphics and info: https://fccid.io/NQ8PX022ANX

For Samsung XG2v2 photos and info: https://fccid.io/A3LSX022AN (includes internal photos as well)





Official Employee

Re: XG2

ComcastAndrew wrote:
Where does it say it has component ?
http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/

In the grid at the bottom, next to Component, it should be Yes (RNG 150N only) under X1 non-DVR, as XG2 is lumped into that column
______________

I'll bet that part wasn't updated yet
Problem Solver

Re: XG2

I've been having an interesting conversation over here.. Maybe the XG2 really isn't the sign of full cloud DVR yet?

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30177321-XG2-trials-have-started

Gold Problem Solver

Re: XG2

I don't have any cloud DVR services here in MSP. I have absolutely NO interest in being a full cloud DVR guinea pig.

But if someone from Comcast wants to send me an XG2 to test as a Companion box I would be happy to try it out.


scjohnson312 wrote:

I've been having an interesting conversation over here.. Maybe the XG2 really isn't the sign of full cloud DVR yet?

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30177321-XG2-trials-have-started





Problem Solver

Re: XG2


RickGr4 wrote:

I don't have any cloud DVR services here in MSP. I have absolutely interest in being a full cloud DVR guinea pig.

But if someone from Comcast wants to send me an XG2 to test as a Companion box I would be happy to try it out.


scjohnson312 wrote:

I've been having an interesting conversation over here.. Maybe the XG2 really isn't the sign of full cloud DVR yet?

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30177321-XG2-trials-have-started


 


Ditto.. I would love to test this box in any environment.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: XG2

DWREXV,

Where do you live?


dwrexv1307 wrote:
All,

I just got an email from my local comcast representative that she has just received some Samsung XG2 boxes. I recently switched to X1 and have one of the Arris boxes which is working great. Should I be an early adopter of the new XG2 box or wait for them to work out the kinks. What are the new features? Anyone have hands on experience with this box?

 

Contributor

Re: XG2

I live just outside of Boston. This is what the representative emailed me yesterday:

These are new to us and we are just getting comfortable with the job aids we received. However, the XG2 does not have a hard drive and will eventually replace are existing X1DVR’s. It’s cloud base and allows you to support more than 3 AO’s that are connected to the main DVR. It does allow you to pause live TV. I know the big thing to you was the absence of the hard drive. It is made by Samsung.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: XG2

I know what I would do. I would want them to provide some sort of proof your market is ready to support full cloud DVR. Otherwise I would PASS on the XG2 as a main DVR.

You would truly be a guinea pig.

Nothing has been said about it here in this forum.

Problem Solver

Re: XG2

I would try it if you have been using cloud DVR and find it to be stable. You'll probably eventually get one regardless...

Gold Problem Solver

Re: XG2

sc ,

If it were me and I lived alone I would try it out. But my GF expects this entire thing to work constantly, consistantly and she wants it to be ultra easy. We are comfortably at that point right now.

Our ship is sailing very smoothly and I would be a fool to rock the boat. If Comcast sends me an XG2 that I can set up in a SECONDARY TV watching area for testing I would be all for it.


scjohnson312 wrote:

I would try it if you have been using cloud DVR and find it to be stable. You'll probably eventually get one regardless...





 

Problem Solver

Re: XG2


RickGr4 wrote:

sc ,

If it were me and I lived alone I would try it out. But my GF expects this entire thing to work constantly, consistantly and she wants it to be ultra easy. We are comfortably at that point right now.

Our ship is sailing very smoothly and I would be a fool to rock the boat. If Comcast sends me an XG2 that I can set up in a SECONDARY TV watching area for testing I would be all for it.


scjohnson312 wrote:

I would try it if you have been using cloud DVR and find it to be stable. You'll probably eventually get one regardless...





 


Good point, I get too used to the luxuries of living alone.. Lack of need for pants is my favorite Smiley Wink

Gold Problem Solver

Re: XG2

Love you man... LOL

Smiley Wink

Expert

Re: XG2

I would be happy to test it.  Any Comcast lurkers, please pay attention. <g>

 

Edit:  I realize I am not in the test market, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Official Employee

Re: XG2


RobertWy wrote:

I would be happy to test it.  Any Comcast lurkers, please pay attention. <g>

 

Edit:  I realize I am not in the test market, but it doesn't hurt to ask.


Duly noted. I don't know exactly how this process works. I'll ask and get back to you next week. 

Problem Solver

Re: XG2


ComcastNickM wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

I would be happy to test it.  Any Comcast lurkers, please pay attention. <g>

 

Edit:  I realize I am not in the test market, but it doesn't hurt to ask.


Duly noted. I don't know exactly how this process works. I'll ask and get back to you next week. 


Thanks for looking into this. I think there are a few of us who are interested, myself included Smiley Wink

Official Employee

Re: XG2


scjohnson312 wrote:

ComcastNickM wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

I would be happy to test it.  Any Comcast lurkers, please pay attention. <g>

 

Edit:  I realize I am not in the test market, but it doesn't hurt to ask.


Duly noted. I don't know exactly how this process works. I'll ask and get back to you next week. 


@ComcastNickM I think there are a few of us who are interested, myself included Smiley Wink


Yup! I just neglected to quote everyones post, my apologies. 

Contributor

Re: XG2

Our X1 works flawlessly, and my wife is also very hesitant to upset the apple cart. I may pass on this opportunity and watch for other guinea pigs on this forum! I may go to the Comcast store, though, just to check it out.

Contributor

Re: XG2

I asked about getting two XG2s to replace my RNGs but it seems only one is allowed/ household. I guess I'll get one XG2 and one Xi3.
Expert

Re: XG2

How did you "ask"?


Joanne_41 wrote:
I asked about getting two XG2s to replace my RNGs but it seems only one is allowed/ household. I guess I'll get one XG2 and one Xi3.

 

Contributor

Re: XG2

I confirmed with a few agents through the Internet department's online chat. I was also told the over the phone that service centers are not allowed to hand out any X1 equipment, not sure if this is old news.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: XG2

Depends upon the market. In most cases that is "old news" now...

I don't know if Comcast locations will "give" out X1 boxes as part of a new install, but it sounds like existing X1 customers have been able to pick up additional or replacement X1 boxes at Comcast locations.


Joanne_41 wrote:
I confirmed with a few agents through the Internet department's online chat. I was also told the over the phone that service centers are not allowed to hand out any X1 equipment, not sure if this is old news.

 

Problem Solver

Re: XG2


ComcastNickM wrote:

scjohnson312 wrote:

ComcastNickM wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

I would be happy to test it.  Any Comcast lurkers, please pay attention. <g>

 

Edit:  I realize I am not in the test market, but it doesn't hurt to ask.


Duly noted. I don't know exactly how this process works. I'll ask and get back to you next week. 


@ComcastNickM I think there are a few of us who are interested, myself included Smiley Wink


Yup! I just neglected to quote everyones post, my apologies. 


Hey Nick, have you heard anything additional about XG2?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: XG2


RickGr4 wrote:

Depends upon the market. In most cases that is "old news" now...

I don't know if Comcast locations will "give" out X1 boxes as part of a new install, but it sounds like existing X1 customers have been able to pick up additional or replacement X1 boxes at Comcast locations.

I went to the office to enquire about X1 the other, day walked out with it and an XB3 Arris TG1682G. (no charge to upgrade, or so they said).They had a few stacked up on the shelves wrapped in plastic, don't think they have put the Moca filter on the outside yet, but everything is up and running fine.

Expert

Re: XG2

Hmm.  I'm looking for an XG3 that has wireless ac.  The only one I've found is the DPC3941T.

 

What does this one have?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: XG2

Not to get off topic, but it's more or less the same, Dual Band AC not sure of the throughput. Has a dect button on the top, believe it can be used as a dect phone base....

Contributor

Re: XG2

I believe this is the "protocol" that techs and CSRs follow when installing an Xg2 box. Hope it's helpful to someone wondering if XG2 will work in their setup. "The XG2 v2 acts as the primary set-top box for non-X1 DVR customers and can be used as the fourth additional outlet (A/O) in any X1 household (X1 DVR or X1 Non-DVR) that also includes Xi3 devices. XG2 v2 devices can also be added by swapping out the first RNG150N on an RNG150N-only account. Additional RNG150N swaps in a home should be replaced with Xi3s if the customer has an HDMI TV.
For example, if a customer has two RNG150s, and you are swapping only one RNG150N, install an XG2. If you are swapping both RNG150Ns – install one XG2 and one Xi3 device."
Contributor

Re: XG2

Well I am in the Metrowest suburbs of Boston and I went into the local office three weeks ago and asked for Xi3 companion boxes to replace my Samsung RNG150s.  They said I was allowed up to 3 of such boxes and I took the three and swapped them for the RNG150s.  I just realized today (since one of the boxes has frozen three times in the last three weeks and I was looking for the SD card to remove and re-insert), that I actually got 3 XG2 boxes.  They are Samsung XG2V2-S (Samsung SX022ANM).  I was told that these did each take up one of the tuners on my main DVR box (the blue light Arris) which reduced the number of simlutaneous DVR recordings from the Arris box by one for each XG2 that was set to do a DVR recording.  As for DVR capabilities, I can confirm that each of the XG2 boxes seems capable of recording, lists and palys the recordings made from the main Arris box (and vice versa), is capable of rewinding live TV (maybe the SD card is internal), responds to voice controls from the XR11 (even though they refused to give me more than one XR11 remote), and is much more responsive to the remote than the RNG150.  I will post a picture of the back and bottom of my box to show that there is no component connection, only HDMI, optical audio and straight RCA (red/white) audio outputs once I fiugre out how to post pictures.

Problem Solver

Re: XG2


asmarks wrote:

Well I am in the Metrowest suburbs of Boston and I went into the local office three weeks ago and asked for Xi3 companion boxes to replace my Samsung RNG150s.  They said I was allowed up to 3 of such boxes and I took the three and swapped them for the RNG150s.  I just realized today (since one of the boxes has frozen three times in the last three weeks and I was looking for the SD card to remove and re-insert), that I actually got 3 XG2 boxes.  They are Samsung XG2V2-S (Samsung SX022ANM).  I was told that these did each take up one of the tuners on my main DVR box (the blue light Arris) which reduced the number of simlutaneous DVR recordings from the Arris box by one for each XG2 that was set to do a DVR recording.  As for DVR capabilities, I can confirm that each of the XG2 boxes seems capable of recording, lists and palys the recordings made from the main Arris box (and vice versa), is capable of rewinding live TV (maybe the SD card is internal), responds to voice controls from the XR11 (even though they refused to give me more than one XR11 remote), and is much more responsive to the remote than the RNG150.  I will post a picture of the back and bottom of my box to show that there is no component connection, only HDMI, optical audio and straight RCA (red/white) audio outputs once I fiugre out how to post pictures.


Interesting, thanks for the report!

 

However, because the XG2 has its own tuners, it shouldn't take up any tuners from the DVR for live TV, just for recordings.

Contributor

Re: XG2

Here are the picutres of the back and underside of one of my XG2v2-S boxes

01f47e054d3d71ae47d26bc8bb186a27e4e3d14fcc.jpg
013163db7739356aa4457f0406632432c1bf74442e.jpg
Contributor

Re: XG2

I have my doubts as to whether or not the people who provided the hardware in the Comcast office really know all of the ins and outs of its capabilities.  They never told me they were giving me XG2 boxes even though I specifically asked for Xi3 boxes.  They also said that the Xi3 boxes would not work with voice control (which may be true, but is not the case for the XG2 boxes they gave me.  So they could also be wrong about whether or not the XG2 boxes take up a tuner on the main Arris DVR box.  This really is not an issue for me because I never record more than two programs at once and even two at once is rare.  So it would never be a problem for me or something I would discover unless I purposely did an experiment to check.

Expert