New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

XG1v4 TV Box

Gold Problem Solver

Re: MX011ANM Vs XG1v4-A

pgoldberg,

CNET appeals to and markets to mainstream consumer electronics customers. They are not a recognized authority on high quality, high end electronics. They support Vizio TV sets which is comical. Enough said.

For every source you can come up with that you feel supports your position, I can find one that supports mine.

I guess it's your loss....
Gold Problem Solver

ggibson,

Please make sure the firmware in your Sony TV is up to date. There has been many complaints in this forum about X1 boxes and Sony TVs not behaving predictably.
Gold Problem Solver

pgoldberg,

Adding to this, it is well known among audio enthusiasts that higher quality CD Players sound better over digital connections simply because they have better disc transport mechanisms which greatly reduces digital timing errors.

Sorry man but you simply don't have experience on the high end to fluently discuss this...
Regular Contributor

If you choose not to believe me It's your choice. You know nothing about my background so if my facts don't agree with your opinions just come back with facts not opinions.
Contributor

I’ll agree and disagree with you both. If you need shielding, buy a better insulated cable. If you want to reduce chances of failure, buy a better quality cable. If you want a chance to future proof your purchase, buy a tested and approved Premium Certified cable. If you want to waste your money, buy a Monster cable. By the way, Monoprice Premium Certified HDMI cables are on sale. Go buy a dozen for less than the price of one Monster cable. “If” it ever fails, you’ll have 11 more!!!
Gold Problem Solver

Exactly. Better shielding leads to less electromagnetic interference which leads to better picture quality. Not sure if you noticed but you may have just contradicted yourself.

This forum clearly needs more high end enthusiasts who have experience with high end electronics and high end connectivity.

Cydeweyz wrote:
I’ll agree and disagree with you both. If you need shielding, buy a better insulated cable. If you want to reduce chances of failure, buy a better quality cable. If you want a chance to future proof your purchase, buy a tested and approved Premium Certified cable. If you want to waste your money, buy a Monster cable. By the way, Monoprice Premium Certified HDMI cables are on sale. Go buy a dozen for less than the price of one Monster cable. “If” it ever fails, you’ll have 11 more!!!

Frequent Visitor

My 4 year old Monster HDMI cable had better performance than a brand new inexpensive Premium Certified 4K cable. The new Monster Black Diamond Cable is even better and has a lifetime guantee.  Why upgrade your cable box to 4K and run it to an expensive 4K TV with an inexpensive HDMI cable?

Contributor

By all means, show us how much better the XG1v4 is with a Monster cable vs a Monoprice Premium Certified cable. Please show us. Two 30 second clips should be awesome eye candy.
Regular Contributor
Gold Problem Solver

pgoldberg and cydeweyz,

Please provide the exact model numbers of the equipment you own (in particular your TV sets) and how everything is connected.

Lets see if either of you owns AV gear that qualifies you to even be able to participate in this conversation...

Frequent Visitor

I returned the inexpensive Premium Certified cable so I can not do a video clip comparison.  I have a Sony XBR 930D with Premium HDR.

Contributor

Why? This is an XG1v4 forum and I’m not trying to prove Monster cables are worth the cost. If you want to prove they are, show your facts on video with your equipment. If not, let’s get back on topic.
Frequent Visitor

I found a solution in another thread that if you go to Netflix Test Pattern it will give you resolution and speed information to verify your XG1V4-A is sending a 4K signal which mine was.

New Poster

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

Why do we need XG1v4 TV Box if netflix can deliver the HD stream directly to 4K TV ?

Gold Problem Solver

You want one because:

At some point Comcast will offer more than just Netflix in 4K

Netflix works with voice commands from the voice remote.

Many people don't like having to change sources to view Netflix.

Even when set to 1080p, the XG1V4 has the best picture quality I have seen so far from an X1 box.
Problem Solver

maximc:

You don't need the box right now. If you can get the apps you want on your 4K smart tv, that is the best way.

The 4K cable-box will come in handy if and when Comcast can deliver 4K programing over linear (standard) cable.

New Poster

Just curious, upgraded to this box 2 weeks ago.  Anyone else having audio sync problems when watching TV with the XG1v4?

Dialog and lip movements are out of sync quite a lot of the time.  This was not happening on my previous X1 box.

Problem Solver

jolthammer wrote:

Just curious, upgraded to this box 2 weeks ago.  Anyone else having audio sync problems when watching TV with the XG1v4?

Dialog and lip movements are out of sync quite a lot of the time.  This was not happening on my previous X1 box.

Are you using a 4K television? Do you have a 4K compliant HDMI cable?

An older HDMI cable might not sinc. both signals.

If you are using separate speaker system, is it connected directly to tv with HDMI, or a optical cable?

New Poster

I do have a 4K UHD Samsung.  I'm using the HDMI cable that came with the brand new XG1v4 box.  Looks quite capable.  (Assume they are sending 4K compatible HDMI cables with the boxes?)

I am using a digital optical cable to route sound back to my Receiver.  The old X1 boxes had digital out.  These new ones don't.  So I'm running HDMI to the Samsung 4K TV "One Connect" box.  I'm running digital out from the Samsung One Connect back to the Surround Sound Receiver.  Maybe it's just my set up. I'll try some tweaks with cables and Samsung settings.  Was just curious if it was just me.  

Service Expert

I assume the a/v receiver cannont be used to receive an HDMI cable from the UHD DVR?  I use my a/v receiver for my blu-ray player and my XG1 DVR.  What is the make and model of your receiver?  When I get the UHD DVR I plan to replace my a/v receiver with one that supports UHD.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

jolthammer

Sounds like your AV receiver does not have HDMI connectivity. You might want to consider upgrading. The reason is very simple. Not all TV pass Dolby Digital from the HDMI inputs to the optical digital output. They strip the signal down to stereo which means your AV receiver will not go into Dolby Digital. Only recently did Samsung TV sets start passing through the Dolby Digital signal.

This article is old but I suggest that you read it: https://www.cnet.com/news/20-tvs-tested-which-sets-can-pass-surround-sound-to-a-sound-bar/

Problem Solver

jolthammer wrote:

I do have a 4K UHD Samsung.  I'm using the HDMI cable that came with the brand new XG1v4 box.  Looks quite capable.  (Assume they are sending 4K compatible HDMI cables with the boxes?)

I am using a digital optical cable to route sound back to my Receiver.  The old X1 boxes had digital out.  These new ones don't.  So I'm running HDMI to the Samsung 4K TV "One Connect" box.  I'm running digital out from the Samsung One Connect back to the Surround Sound Receiver.  Maybe it's just my set up. I'll try some tweaks with cables and Samsung settings.  Was just curious if it was just me.

On my Samsung UHD tv the Sony S.S. System is connected to the hub on HDMI 4 port (correct port for speakers). Don't use the optical port.  

New Poster

Yeah, I have a nice Sony ES Receiver, but it's 5 years old now. It has plenty of HDMI inputs, but the receiver doesn't pass a 4K signal.  Figured I could still use the receiver via Digital Audio for surround sound. Guess not.  Must be my set up.

Thanks everyone.  

Gold Problem Solver

Unfortunately, any AV receiver over three years old is out of date with the current HDMI/HDCP specs. Even some two year old receivers are as well.

About a year, I decided to bite the bullet. I was tired of my previous AV receivers holding me back. I wanted full HDCP 2.2 compatibility. I wanted 4K, HDR and all the latest technologies to work flawlessly. I spent too much $$$ but I bought a top of the line Marantz AV receiver and I am glad I did. Everything I am trying to do just works.

jolthammer wrote:

Yeah, I have a nice Sony ES Receiver, but it's 5 years old now. It has plenty of HDMI inputs, but the receiver don't pass a 4K signal.  Figured I could still use the receiver via Digital Audio for surround sound. Guess not.  Must be my set up.

Thanks everyone.  

Problem Solver

jolthammer wrote:

Yeah, I have a nice Sony ES Receiver, but it's 5 years old now. It has plenty of HDMI inputs, but the receiver doesn't pass a 4K signal.  Figured I could still use the receiver via Digital Audio for surround sound. Guess not.  Must be my set up.

Thanks everyone.  

Until around 2015 the newest AV receivers (I have Sony) were placed first in line. Cable system coaxial went to the A/V box. Everything else was connected by HDMI cables: TV, Blu-Ray player, game box, etc.

With good 4K smart tv's the cable-box is connected to the TV first with the newest HDMI 4K compliant cables. Then other devices are connected from tv with HDMI cables. I should have mentioned that HDMI port 4 on our hub is ARC for Sony or other S.S. systems running 5.1 or 7.1 speakers on that convention.

Service Expert

MNtundraRET wrote:

jolthammer wrote:

Thanks everyone.  

Until around 2015 the newest AV receivers (I have Sony) were placed first in line. Cable system coaxial went to the A/V box. Everything else was connected by HDMI cables: TV, Blu-Ray player, game box, etc.

With good 4K smart tv's the cable-box is connected to the TV first with the newest HDMI 4K compliant cables. Then other devices are connected from tv with HDMI cables. I should have mentioned that HDMI port 4 on our hub is ARC for Sony or other S.S. systems running 5.1 or 7.1 speakers on that convention.

I will keep this in mind when I upgrade everything to 4k Ultra.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

I've been lurking a bit as I tend to mine information but note there is a bit of disinformation going on here.  I have a Yamaha RX-V779BT (which was released in 2015) running my system.  It is spec'd with 4k pass through and upscaling, using multiple HDCP 2.2 HDMI 3 in/2/out connections.  It has no issues running 4k pass through HDMI to a 4k (Sony XBR-900E) television.  Before you start telling folks their AV units which are 2 years old, maybe the real response is to check their specs.  

Gold Problem Solver

Yes checking your specs is a very good idea. However my post clearly says SOME two year old receivers.

Sorry that I did not word this to your satisfaction but I fail to see any "disinformation"...........

Z3papa wrote:

I've been lurking a bit as I tend to mine information but note there is a bit of disinformation going on here.  I have a Yamaha RX-V779BT (which was released in 2015) running my system.  It is spec'd with 4k pass through and upscaling, using multiple HDCP 2.2 HDMI 3 in/2/out connections.  It has no issues running 4k pass through HDMI to a 4k (Sony XBR-900E) television.  Before you start telling folks their AV units which are 2 years old, maybe the real response is to check their specs.  

Regular Visitor

Rick -- before I get off on the same foot path of bickering with you as you have with many others where you summarily dismiss their comments as having less credibility or without merit, I'll keep this straight forward.  There were a number of AV units put out in 2014 and 2015 including those Marantz, Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha, that had HDM formats 2.0 and 2.2.  The quote listed herein is not the only deceptive piece of advice, but its good you emphasized your clarification so others can understand.  

RickGr4 wrote:

Yes checking your specs is a very good idea. However my post clearly says SOME year old receivers.

Sorry that I did not word this to your satisfaction but I fail to see any "disinformation"...........

Z3papa wrote:

Gold Problem Solver

Agree to disagree.

Welcome to the X1 forum..........????

Z3papa wrote:
Rick -- before I get off on the same foot path of bickering with you as you have with many others where you summarily dismiss their comments as having less credibility or without merit, I'll keep this straight forward.  There were a number of AV units put out in 2014 and 2015 including those Marantz, Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha, that had HDM formats 2.0 and 2.2.  The quote listed herein is not the only deceptive piece of advice, but its good you emphasized your clarification so others can understand.  

RickGr4 wrote:

Yes checking your specs is a very good idea. However my post clearly says SOME year old receivers.

Z3papa wrote:

Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

pgoldberg and cydeweyz,

Please provide the exact model numbers of the equipment you own (in particular your TV sets) and how everything is connected.

Lets see if either of you owns AV gear that qualifies you to even be able to participate in this conversation...

Maybe you're right, maybe you're not. I lean towards if it's digital AND signal is getting thru without interference it's just the placebo effect you're seeing. Although I can be tempted into getting better cables just in case. Who knowa maybe my gear isn't good eough to comment- I own an LG oled65b7a, a Yamaha Aventage receiver, a Ps4 Pro and have a Xg1v4-a. I ran audioquest cables but used the heaper Pearl.

Regular Contributor

RobertWy wrote:

I assume the a/v receiver cannont be used to receive an HDMI cable from the UHD DVR?  I use my a/v receiver for my blu-ray player and my XG1 DVR.  What is the make and model of your receiver?  When I get the UHD DVR I plan to replace my a/v receiver with one that supports UHD.

My receiver is only a few years old and is 4k capable bt would only do 2160p/30 not 2160p/60 from the cable box and wouldn't do 4k from my ps4. So I ran the new hdmi cables directly to the tv and send the audio to the receiver thru ARC.

Contributor

cldlhd wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

pgoldberg and cydeweyz,

Maybe you're right, maybe you're not. I lean towards if it's digital AND signal is getting thru without interference it's just the placebo effect you're seeing. Although I can be tempted into getting better cables just in case. Who knowa maybe my gear isn't good eough to comment- I own an LG oled65b7a, a Yamaha Aventage receiver, a Ps4 Pro and have a Xg1v4-a. I ran audioquest cables but used the heaper Pearl.

Until he shows us video proof that Monster cables will produce a better picture than Monoprice Premium certified cables on an XG1v4 (or any HDR/Dolby Vision hardware of his choice if he chooses to go off-topic again), he's not right.

Regular Contributor

MNtundraRET wrote:

jolthammer wrote:

Thanks everyone.  

That's how I did it. Up until a couple of weeks ago I ran my hdmi cables to the receiver then had one hdmi going to the tv. Now the cable box and ps4 pro go right to the tv then use ARC over hdmi to the receiver.

Regular Contributor

Cydeweyz wrote:

cldlhd wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

pgoldberg and cydeweyz,

Until he shows us video proof that Monster cables will produce a better picture than Monoprice Premium certified cables on an XG1v4 (or any HDR/Dolby Vision hardware of his choice if he chooses to go off-topic again), he's not right.

I'd say you'd have to put him in a room and do a test swapping cables multiple times and see if he gets it right.

Gold Problem Solver

Sorry folks but I have been through controlled tests where the differences in HDMI cables could both be seen and heard. The AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI cables I currently use made some very noteworthy improvements over the Monoprice "premium" cables I used previously.

There are many variables here. But experience of the user and quality of the associated audio/video gear are probably the two biggest along with the quality of the setup of the gear. We are not born with the ability to "judge" differences in picture and sound quality. It is a learned trait. As I have said many times, some people are born with better eyes and ears, but judging the differences in audio/video gear is learned.

Someone watching an X1 box on a middle of the line 65" Samsung, Sony or LG TV set that does not understand how to adjust the settings in today's TV sets simply are not seeing what I see. I sit eight to nine feet away from a properly calibrated 65" LG OLED using high quality cables and power conditioning. I have three different 4K/HDR sources along with the XG1V4 box. This may come as a surprise to many but the XG1V4 set to 1080p actually has pretty good picture quality. Best I have seen coming from an X1 box.

I realize that some people in this forum don't like my "style". I don't care. I freely offer information and advice in this forum. Maybe people should consider learning from what I have to say and not disagreeing with me simply because they don't like my style... 

cldlhd wrote:

Cydeweyz wrote:

cldlhd wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

pgoldberg and cydeweyz,

I'd say you'd have to put him in a room and do a test swapping cables multiple times and see if he gets it right.

Service Expert

cldlhd wrote:

MNtundraRET wrote:

jolthammer wrote:

Thanks everyone.  

That's how I did it. Up until a couple of weeks ago I ran my hdmi cables to the receiver then had one hdmi going to the tv. Now the cable box and ps4 pro go right to the tv then use ARC over hdmi to the receiver.

No receiver in my mix; just UHD TV, PS/4 Pro, and an XG1v4.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

Sorry folks but I have been through controlled tests where the differences in HDMI cables could both be seen and heard. The AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI cables I currently use made some very noteworthy improvements over the Monoprice "premium" cables I used previously.

There are many variables here. But experience of the user and quality of the associated audio/video gear are probably the two biggest along with the quality of the setup of the gear. We are not born with the ability to "judge" differences in picture and sound quality. It is a learned trait. As I have said many times, some people are born with better eyes and ears, but judging the differences in audio/video gear is learned.

Someone watching an X1 box on a middle of the line 65" Samsung, Sony or LG TV set that does not understand how to adjust the settings in today's TV sets simply are not seeing what I see. I sit eight to nine feet away from a properly calibrated 65" LG OLED using high quality cables and power conditioning. I have three different 4K/HDR sources along with the XG1V4 box. This may come as a surprise to many but the XG1V4 set to 1080p actually has pretty good picture quality. Best I have seen coming from an X1 box.

I realize that some people in this forum don't like my "style". I don't care. I freely offer information and advice in this forum. Maybe people should consider learning from what I have to say and not disagreeing with me simply because they don't like my style... 

cldlhd wrote:

Cydeweyz wrote:

cldlhd wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

pgoldberg and cydeweyz,

I have a 65" LG Oled as well and power conditioning as well thru my APC. Who calibrated your TV? 

Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

cldlhd wrote:

Cydeweyz wrote:

cldlhd wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

pgoldberg and cydeweyz,

I never said you were right or wrong I just said I'd like to know your scientific method . I'm not going to just go by what you say automatically. To my mind you come off as another self declared expert.

Gold Problem Solver

Self declared??? Actually I have quite a few audio/video industry certifications (CEDIA Certified Project Manager and Outreach Instructor for two).and I have attended literally hundreds of manufacturer sponsored training classes...

My method is A-B comparisons and my own practical experience. As I stated, I noticed numerous significant improvements the instant I swapped my "premium Monoprice" cables to Audioquest cables. Even my significant other noticed some the differences.

cldlhd wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

cldlhd wrote:

Cydeweyz wrote:

cldlhd wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

pgoldberg and cydeweyz,

I never said you were right or wrong I just said I'd like to know your scientific method . I'm not going to just go by what you say automatically. To my mind you come off as another self declared expert.

Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

Self declared??? Actually I have quite a few audio/video industry certifications (CEDIA Certified Project Manager and Outreach Instructor for two).and I have attended literally hundreds of manufacturer sponsored training classes...

My method is A-B comparisons and my own practical experience. As I stated, I noticed numerous significant improvements the instant I swapped my "premium Monoprice" cables to Audioquest cables. Even my significant other noticed some the differences.

cldlhd wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

cldlhd wrote:

Cydeweyz wrote:

cldlhd wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

pgoldberg and cydeweyz,

"manufacturer sponsored training classes " is a sales event. I'm not saying you don't have qualifications just that most of us out here aren't aware of them. If you knew which cables were connected when it's not a scientific test. People see what they want , if someone switched the cables 20 times without you knowing which was connected and you got it right 75% of the time or more I'd buy it. Either way less condescension would be helpful. It's not a "style" it's a lack of style....

Official Employee

Degraded thread closed for now. Take it to the PMs if you need to.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.