New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

XG1v4 TV Box

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 251 of 282

Until all stations are in 720p I would recommend setting the X1 box at 1080p.  1080p will handle 1080i content much better without the loss of resolution in to 720p conversion.  Also 720p to 1080p would have minimal impact on picture quality. 

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 252 of 282

I have XG1V2 and it works fine.  I got a 75" JU7100 Samsung TV and get amazing Netflix and Youtube 4K through TV app.  Xfinity wants to charge me $60 for pro installation to swap out the box and test cable quality for compatibility.

Do you think it's worth it?

Or should I just change out current box and take chances on getting the V4.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 253 of 282

I don't think you should pay Comcast to test thier line to see if it works with their equipment.  Do you pay the electric company to see if their meter works on their lines serving your house?

Most, if not all, of those compatibility tests can be done remotely anyway.

Also, what happens to the $60 if it doesn't work?

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 254 of 282

X1 offers no 4K programming so swapping the boxes won't advance you in any way that we are aware of. Netflix, Amazon and YouTube will look better using your TVs Smart Hub.

In regards to XG1 V4 picture quality the jury is still out. Comcast is dreadfully behind in regards to 4k and as every second goes by they are falling further behind.

mrpickem wrote:

I have XG1V2 and it works fine.  I got a 75" JU7100 Samsung TV and get amazing Netflix and Youtube 4K through TV app.  Xfinity wants to charge me $60 for pro installation to swap out the box and test cable quality for compatibility.

Do you think it's worth it?

Or should I just change out current box and take chances on getting the V4.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 255 of 282

They said if lines weren't up to V4 standards, then I would not be charged the $60 and they would not leave the box.

Thanks for quick replies.

I will likely cancel Thurs appt for install.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 256 of 282
There is no difference in "line standards" no matter which dvr that you have. It's either in spec or not in spec.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 257 of 282
There is no difference in "line standards" between the V4 box and any other X1 box.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 258 of 282
The box is wired and compatible with other current x1 devices. Currently xg4 will only do 4k, which not available yet. However, the Bluetooth feature is sweet!
Posted by
New Poster

Message 259 of 282
The box is wired and compatible with other current x1 devices. 500Gb hard drive, which likes like Cloud intergration is better. Currently xg4 will only broadcast in 1080 p. 4K is not available yet. However, the Bluetooth feature is sweet!
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 260 of 282

Tech6:

I was not aware that Comcast was supplying "Blu-Ray" (1080p) programs over their new 4K box yet. Not linear cable or high-speed broadband on the Internet.

So where are you getting Blu-ray from?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 261 of 282

MNtundraRET wrote:

Tech6:

I was not aware that Comcast was supplying "Blu-Ray" (1080p) programs over their new 4K box yet. Not linear cable or high-speed broadband on the Internet.

So where are you getting Blu-ray from?

Blu-ray or bluetooth?  The XG4 has bluetooth.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 262 of 282

Robert:

I am talking about Blu-Ray. Since mid 2000's the only way to watch a 1080p signal was to use a Blu-Ray Player. I do not think the recent poster as actually viewing any 1080p programming through the new cable-box yet.

The new cable-box covers 4K and 1080p. Comcast has yet to send either version of programing on the new box. If Comcast get's the new box working they could supply either 4K or Blu-Ray programs to people without a special 4K broadband player, or those without a Blu-ray player and purchased Blu-ray movies, etc.

Any of us with a UHD smart television can get both Blu-Ray (1080p) and 4K HDR programing from You Tube and other providers.

Since I have DSL optical broadband, I have no need for Comcast any more if they do not get their act together for 4K (or 1080p).

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 263 of 282

MNtundraRET wrote:

Robert:

I am talking about Blu-Ray. Since mid 2000's the only way to watch a 1080p signal was to use a Blu-Ray Player. I do not think the recent poster as actually viewing any 1080p programming through the new cable-box yet.

The new cable-box covers 4K and 1080p. Comcast has yet to send either version of programing on the new box. If Comcast get's the new box working they could supply either 4K or Blu-Ray programs to people without a special 4K broadband player, or those without a Blu-ray player and purchased Blu-ray movies, etc.

Any of us with a UHD smart television can get both Blu-Ray (1080p) and 4K HDR programing from You Tube and other providers.

Since I have DSL optical broadband, I have no need for Comcast any more if they do not get their act together for 4K (or 1080p).

Ah:  Blu-Ray = 1080p.

My TV's upconvert the Comcast 720p to Blu-Ray(1080p).

Am I understanding you correctly?

And since I don't have a 4k TV, I assume the Comcast 720p from the XG4 is upconverted to 4k by anyone who has a 4k TV?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 264 of 282
Ive got the new box, had a tech bring it today. Had an issue with x1 audio, and the comcast store said that the techs had the xg4 box. Guy had no idea on anything we just switched connections. Goes up to 1080p60 , no 4k setting. No one has info haha. Maybe needs a firmware update inorder to set 4k resolution. I don't see any upscaling..I have a sony 65 x940
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 265 of 282

Robert:

What I am trying to point out is that watching at movie, or other program, that was produced in widescreen 1080p and sold on a Blu-Ray Disc is far better quality than watching the same program: OTA, Cable, or Satellite. The program needed to be transmitted 1080 interlace (2 frames) to view on your 1080p television. Anyone with a Blu-Ray player knows the Blu-Ray copy was better then when watched on the same tv by normal means. And watching the same movie in dvd quality (480p) has no comparison to the Blu-Ray copy.

720p is nothing more than 480p (4:3 screen) with extra pixels added to fill (16:9 screen). The sharpness of the picture is the same. Blu-Ray 1080P has more the double the pixels and produces a better picture.

By the same token; converting any lower quality signal on a UHD (4K) television to 4K is nowhere near as good as the real 4K signal viewed over broadband from You Tube, etc.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 266 of 282

MNtundraRET wrote:

Robert:

What I am trying to point out is that watching at movie, or other program, that was produced in widescreen 1080p and sold on a Blu-Ray Disc is far better quality than watching the same program: OTA, Cable, or Satellite. The program needed to be transmitted 1080 interlace (2 frames) to view on your 1080p television. Anyone with a Blu-Ray player knows the Blu-Ray copy was better then when watched on the same tv by normal means. And watching the same movie in dvd quality (480p) has no comparison to the Blu-Ray copy.

720p is nothing more than 480p (4:3 screen) with extra pixels added to fill (16:9 screen). The sharpness of the picture is the same. Blu-Ray 1080P has more the double the pixels and produces a better picture.

By the same token; converting any lower quality signal on a UHD (4K) television to 4K is nowhere near as good as the real 4K signal viewed over broadband from You Tube, etc.

I bet you accidently mixed up the description. the 480/720/1080 is the count of the 'raw' number of vertical lines that make up the image. the old 4:3 interlaced was 525 lines (at 262 1/2 lines per offset field). the 4:16 HD 480 is 480 lines making up each individual 'image' (think of it like the 35 mm film as a still picture flashed on the screen, then the next image is flashed). no doubt the rest of your description is accurate too.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
N/A
Message 267 of 282

Arris XG1v4 box in my area

Posted by
Contributor

Message 268 of 282

Box is available in the Bradenton/Sarasota area. The old Pace014 box went weird (lightning probably). Took it back to retail store and they gave me an Arris XG1v4-A. I have a 4K TV (Vizio 2017). I noticed a couple of things:

1. Recorded TV shows did not transfer over — they disappeared. However, the "scheduler" recognized that and put the missing episodes back on the scheduled list to be recoded.

2. Picture quality is fine. I set the TV up with AVS709 HD. The 4K stuff on Netflix CAN look better if the production was done well. I selected the 2160 setting on the XG1.

3. The skip-ahead feature seems slower on the XG1, but only by a second or so.

4. Haven't been able to find a manual yet. 

5. For those using an alternate remote (IP control), there is an IR port on the front of the XG1.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 269 of 282

Drummerman,

There should be a 2160p setting in display options.  As discussed here, the TV will upscale because thats what the panel requires.  I have not seen any difference between 1080p and 2160p from the v4.

large.jpg

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 270 of 282

is it avalable in UT yet?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 271 of 282

Will it support Dolby Atmos surround sound?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 272 of 282

Artherious wrote:

Will it support Dolby Atmos surround sound?

Not at this time.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XG1v4-TV-Box/m-p/2907630#M129152

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 273 of 282
"720p is nothing more than 480p (4:3 screen) with extra pixels added to fill (16:9 screen). The sharpness of the picture is the same. Blu-Ray 1080P has more the double the pixels and produces a better picture."

This isn't even remotely true. 720 has over 80% greater pixel density than 480p.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 274 of 282

DKSac wrote:
"720p is nothing more than 480p (4:3 screen) with extra pixels added to fill (16:9 screen). The sharpness of the picture is the same. Blu-Ray 1080P has more the double the pixels and produces a better picture."

This isn't even remotely true. 720 has over 80% greater pixel density than 480p.

Actually a correction the PD of 720p is over 125% greater than 480p

Posted by
New Poster

Message 275 of 282

So is there anyway to specifically request the XG1v4 and Xi5 boxes during or prior to install? I'm a new customer looking to mount my cable boxes and these would fit into much smaller mounts.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 276 of 282
Not prior to but you can at install, if they're available in your market.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 277 of 282
Nope, no option for me, but I also have it running through my xbox one s..maybe thats the problem. But I installed box myself lol . thia is drummerman btw
Posted by
New Poster

Message 278 of 282
It is wireless and it is a 4K Box And has Bluetooth capabilities as the world if you were far to the top of the article a Comcast xfinity employee posted all the specs on the Box pretty much
Posted by
New Poster

Message 279 of 282
All the specs are there and makes philodhi Comcast Employee posted all the information about the Box It has a 500GB hard drive
Posted by
New Poster

Message 280 of 282
500GB hard drive and is 4K compatible Or upgrade With Netflix In the later part of this year if not in your area now by the end of 2017
Posted by
New Poster

Message 281 of 282
It is 4K compatible or upgrade aboard will be done by the end of 2017 if not in your area yet but only with a Netflix subscription
Posted by
New Poster

Message 282 of 282
I totally agree to know