members

online now

discussions

XG1v4 TV Box

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 201 of 233

Well,

I have a 4K OLED and I am waiting for someone to post some accurate and reliable information in regards to the XG1V4.

Speculation and quess work is poisoning this forum.

cldlhd wrote:

No it isn't ISF calibrated , I just did it myself with a Blu-Ray. It's only 1080p I'm thinking the box can tell whats connected and that's why it doesn't show 2160. I'm waiting for the 4k oleds to come down a little.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 202 of 233

Ummm ...ok. It's kind of funny because I didn't even know this box existed until I brought my old xg1 in for replacement and the store employee handed it to me. I can only post what I'm experiencing I'm sorry if my current TV doesn't make my situation helpful for you. I'll do my best in the future to only post if I know absolutely everything on the subject. I'm very sorry if I didn't take this forum seriously enough.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 203 of 233
Not your fault. Picture quality issues are a sensitive topic for me. This forum would be MUCH better if Comcast provided support for audio/video enthusiasts. However at this point there are forum members that know much more about X1 and how it interacts with high performance audio/video products than 99.9% of Comcast employees do.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 204 of 233

cldlhd wrote:

Ummm ...ok. It's kind of funny because I didn't even know this box existed until I brought my old xg1 in for replacement and the store employee handed it to me. I can only post what I'm experiencing I'm sorry if my current TV doesn't make my situation helpful for you. I'll do my best in the future to only post if I know absolutely everything on the subject. I'm very sorry if I didn't take this forum seriously enough.

I appreciate your posts fwiw. and thanks for the screen shot too. I use Netflix' own test patterns to set up sharpness, contrast, brightness (after turning off all the 'automated' features. Like you, I skipped the curved screen, the 3d (imo scam) stuff too. It appears that the next 'jump' will be directly to 8k but only time will tell. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 205 of 233

Thanks. I plan on getting a 4k oled some time in the next year or so but busy with a lot of home renovations and my current TV isn't that old. 

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 206 of 233

This is a placeholder for a post that was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 207 of 233

Rusty:

Why do you post incorrect information on equipment you do not own?

3D UHD curved televisions are not a "scam"!

The Samsung curved screen is layered and produces a "3D effect" in 4K programing without glasses. Read the specifications for the products. The Real 3D movies are excellent on my tv. I have 16 3D  movies at present.

The only thing Comcast has going for us with high end televisions since starting MPEG4 is our ability to convert the 720p MPEG 4 "2D" picture to "3D" picture. It worked fine for me last night watching the football game in 3D. The MPEG 4 convention works much better for 3D rendering of a 2D picture. It makes the 3D feature found on my television much more valuable to me since the conversion to MPEG4.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 208 of 233
Last night during the Vikings game I extensively compared the CBS/Comcast broadcast to the local over the air broadcast.

In my opinion the difference is substantial. It is just another glaring indicator of how far behind Comcast truly is with X1. I have been looking more closely at Dish Network and they appear to have X1 beat in all aspects of the game.

I flipped back and forth enough times to annoy my girlfriend but even she could see the difference.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 209 of 233
So you have an HD antenna to get the local broadcast? Where I'm at the game was only on ESPN.
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 210 of 233
I have always had antennas connected to my two main TV sets, mainly used as a back up in case Comcast went down. However with Comcast's recent picture quality downgrades, I find myself using the antenna much more often...simply because the picture quality is significantly better.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 211 of 233

The bluetooth is working really well with my Audio Technica headphones.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 212 of 233
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 213 of 233
In what ways?

Why would you make a comment like that but not support it...?
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 214 of 233
Ya in what ways? I've only had mine a little less than a week but I like it better than my xg1. It seems faster, admittedly I only have a 1080p TV but the picture is at least as good and the Netflix app is noticeably sharper to the point I haven't been streaming it on my PS4. Also the Bluetooth works great with my headphones.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 215 of 233

When I change between channels it takes longer. The color and sharpnes of picture is inferior to previous box. I went through all the resolutions multiple times and re set the box and get the same results. The 2160/60 resolution is inferior to the 1080P/60. It makes the picture washed out and the colors are actually sligtly different. Maybe others have different results from me ...

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 216 of 233

The only way I can support it is by looking at the picture quality and observing the time it takes to complete reqiured task as compared to my old box ...

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 217 of 233

hovado wrote:

When I change between channels it takes longer. The color and sharpnes of picture is inferior to previous box. I went through all the resolutions multiple times and re set the box and get the same results. The 2160/60 resolution is inferior to the 1080P/60. It makes the picture washed out and the colors are actually sligtly different. Maybe others have different results from me ...

if you try the 720p setting on the set top box does the TV do a better job at upscaling? (picture quality) than letting set top box upscale it?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 218 of 233
I'm observing the opposite. The box seems quicker and the picture is at least as good and mostly better
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 219 of 233

Running the box at 720 did not improve the quality of the picture. 1080P/60 produces the best results.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 220 of 233

That is what I was hoping for ...

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 221 of 233

RickGr4 wrote:
I have always had antennas connected to my two main TV sets, mainly used as a back up in case Comcast went down. However with Comcast's recent picture quality downgrades, I find myself using the antenna much more often...simply because the picture quality is significantly better.

I bought a Channel Master DVR+ for that very reason.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 222 of 233

Was there any official decision on whether to set the box to 2160 or let the TV upscale from a lower resolution?  I got a new Sony 75Z9D and it's supposed to have very good upscaling.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 223 of 233
Up to you to test it for yourself.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 224 of 233

I'm impressed with the smooth operation of the XG1v4 so far.  Much quicker to receive remote commands, guide is very fast and DVR playback responds a whole-lot better.

It seems pretty unlikely that Comcast's mass-produced boxes would have better video processing that a Sony Z9.  They are both working with the same highly-compressed signal (usually 720p), but the Z9 has some advantages, I think:

(1) the external box is very clunky when switching between resolutions
(2) upscaling in the box to 2160 still requires further upscaling to 4K....the Z9D does it one step, which is probably better (even if only slightly noticeable)
(3) the Z9D offers many more processing options to mitigate compression artifacts when upscaling to 4K...these can be applied after-the fact, but again, keeping it one processor designed to do all of this seems like a better idea to me.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 225 of 233
2160 and 4K are one in the same.
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 226 of 233

Until you have watched real 4K programming over You Tube, Netflix, etc., on high-speed broadband, what you think is good up-scaling from Comcast is a far cry from the real thing.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 227 of 233

I know MNtundraRET, I have Roku Ultra which also handles HDR on Netflix etc.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 228 of 233

Rick, I misstated 2160 as 4K, I meant 1080 as Hovado had speculated.

Testing it myself has worked well for me over my entire career in broadcast television operations.

I was thinking someone had actually benched a measurement of the different resolutions this new XG1v4 offers.

Things don't change, thank you for your support.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 229 of 233

Will this XG1v4 play 4K native content through the Youtube app?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 230 of 233

Can anyone confirm what areas the box has been launched in?  When I contact Comcast, they tell me it’s available in my area 98030 in Washington state. But when I go to pick it up at the Comcast store, they say it’s not out yet. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 231 of 233

Eazydeazy wrote:

Can anyone confirm what areas the box has been launched in?  When I contact Comcast, they tell me it’s available in my area 98030 in Washington state. But when I go to pick it up at the Comcast store, they say it’s not out yet. 

the first post at top of page one of this thread states that currently the device is only available for new installs and that the tech has to install it (professional installation charge).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 232 of 233

Rustyben wrote:

Eazydeazy wrote:

the first post at top of page one of this thread states that currently the device is only available for new installs and that the tech has to install it (professional installation charge).

That's not my experience. I've been with comcast for over 20 years and I was handed one at the local store and did a self install. I live in the suburbs of Philly.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 233 of 233

SiegeX:

You are the one with the new 4K box. Go ahead and try it.

However; if Comcast was serious in testing this 4K and 1080p capable box they would have installed a version of the "Ultra HD Sampler" app which still has some 4K offerings. They could also have offered some Blu-Ray (1080p) movies for watching.

It seems to me that they are worried about this box even handling their current over compressed 720p output. The box should have gone to those of us with newest technology televisions who understand what a good signal would look like and could give good feedback about the boxe's shortcomings.