members

online now

discussions

XG1v4 TV Box

Posted by
Contributor

Message 151 of 282

yelvertonmark wrote:
Just swapped my old XG1 for an XG4 and it’s working great! Feels much snappier to me. Checked Netflix but no 4K content is popping up yet.

Are regular shows and TV any clearer? Say cnn, fox news, etc. etc. I have and X1 from about 2 years ago.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 152 of 282

I am new with Xfinity.  Everything was connected a week ago.  Had trouble with the internet, but now fixed.  So just started checking out the cable tv.  I do have the XG1v4 and a Xi3 for my bedroom box.  I am running the XG1v4 with a Samsung 55 inch 1080p tv.  I set the dvr to 16:9 1080p setting.  I immediately noticed that all of the faces had the appearance of the "beauty" setting when taking selfies on my samsung phone.  Very disappointing!  I had expected good detail and texture, but everything is quite smoothed out.  I had expected a crisper picture for HD.  I have played around with all sorts of settings...but nothing really improved the quality.  I also have an Arris SB8200 docsis 3.1 (3.1 down) was just actived a couple of days ago.  Has anyone else with the XG1v4 noticed this soft version of HD?  I learned on other threads that Xfinity has apparently "rezzed" down to 720pHD rather than 1080, apparently to allow them to push more channels through the bandwidth, and they have removed the 1080i native option for device settings on this new box.  I called yesterday and, of course, the customer service agent knew nothing of the 720p issue.  Just suggested a reboot and a tech visit.  Since I have nothing to compare my picture quality to except that when I stream movies and shows, I get crystal clear HD with great detail and texture.  So it is not my TV.  I have never used one of the earlier XG1 DVR models, so I even thought it might be issues with the newest box.   I do like the flexibility and other features, but picture quality is important.  We just bought a Samsung UN49MU8000 for the bedroom and were thinking about upgrading our living room tv to a larger, higher quality tv, but now am wondering what the point would be if xFinity is not transmitting the highest quality.  Does anyone know how they plan to deliver 4K....if depending on Netflix then it seems it will be streaming, so we should get a true 4K experience, correct?  At this point, I am wondering if it is worth it to pay additional fees for HD that doesn't seem much better than the SD I had with Directv.  

Has anyone compared the XG1v4 box with a tivo product?  or some other dvr workaround?  

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 153 of 282

Have you tried one of the other HDMI ports on the TV?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 154 of 282

I just found this explanation for the problem.  Am wondering if another DVR, maybe a Tivo would do a better job of upscaling than the Xfinity boxes?  Has anyone done a comparison?

Explanation regarding the HD quality that I found:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1962 View Post
When I hit the display button on my Sony tv is shows 1080P. Isnt this supposed to represent the signal that being inputed and not upscaled?

Yes I was surprised if it was a true 1080P signal.
The Sony TV is displaying the format of the signal it, the TV, is receiving.

At this time there are no broadcast or cable networks that provide a 1080p signal; rather, they are 1080i or 720p (or 480i for standard definition or 480p for extended definition). About 75% to 80% of HD cable and broadcast networks broadcast in 1080i, the other 20% to 25% of HD cable and broadcast networks are 720p; none are 1080p. (See List of Current American High-Definition Channels.) Now there may be some pay-per-view and video-on-demand content that is 1080p, but that is the exception, not the norm. (If I recall correctly, I had come across a few Encore video-on-demand movies that were 1080p24.)

With some of the Comcast non-X1 set-top boxes, one can set the box to output "NATIVE", that is the same video format as the box received from Comcast. For a while I had the HD DVR I am renting from Comcast doing that and none of the linear channels (broadcast or cable) were 1080p, but rather a mixture of 720p (ABC, Disney, ESPN, a smattering of others), 1080i (most of the other major networks), and 480i (multicast networks like MeTV, Get.TV, Antenna TV, as well as the SD-only feeds and the second video channel for our PBS affiliate). When I would press the "Info" button on the TV remote, I would see 1080i, 720p, or 480p (because I had the HD DVR configured to deinterlace 480i by telling it the TV does not understand 480i--a workaround for a bug in the TV). So those are the formats the DVR is receiving from the Comcast headend (where Comcast puts the signals on the fibers that feed the node on our block). Where I checked, the video format reported by the TV matched what the wikipedia page of "List of Current American High-Definition Channels" said how each network was formatting its video signal.

My HD DVR also has the option to set a specific output format, converting (if necessary) each incoming signal to that output format. I currently have the HD DVR outputting 1080p. Guess what the TV says it is receiving on HDMI port 1 no matter what channel the DVR is tuned to or recording it is playing? 1080p. In my case, it is the HD DVR that is upscaling or deinterlacing as necessary to generate the 1080p signal.

Now, with the HD DVR upscaling and/or deinterlacing, is it making the picture sharper? My 62-year-old eyes tell me "No". When I watch a Get.TV (480i) movie or a Svengoolie episode (MeTV, 480i), I can clearly see locks of hair, but it is a blonde, brown, or black blob. If I see similar content thing on Syfy, Encore, Starz (the HD feeds of these channels), I see structure in those "clumps" of a few strands thick, and on a close-up I can make out individual strands in a lock of hair. So upscaling is a way of filling in the missing pixels, but it cannot add the missing detail. And that is true, whether it is the cable box doing the rescaling, or the TV is rescaling the signal to its native resolution. (Modern LCD and plasma TVs have only so many pixels so any signal not matching those pixel locations have to be rescaled to map those pixels. So for a 1080p TV, one could either have the set-top box generate a 1080p signal, which means the set-top box is doing the rescaling and/or deinterlacing, and the TV can take that resulting signal as is; or the set-top box if set in NATIVE passes the received format to the TV, and then the TV has to rescale/deinterlace as needed to display that video image on the TV screen's 1920x1080 pixels.)

In the Comcast X1 world, one does not have "NATIVE", so one is feeding a 1080p TV one would generally pick 1080p for the output format so that one doesn't lose resolution for 1080i channels and one doesn't add motion blur to 720p channels, having the set-top box do the rescaling and deinterlacing, and leaving it to the TV to just present the signal to the TV screen in the same format that it received from the set-top box. The TV wouldn't know what massaging of the video format had taken place, just that it is now receiving a 1080p through the TV's HDMI (or component) port. But a human with good eyes not sitting back too far from the TV would likely be able to tell if the content was originally SD (480i) or HD (720p or 1080i) from the level of detail one could make out (hair, facial hair or facial stubble, blades of grass, individual stones of a gravel road are examples of where one is likely be able to tell the difference between SD and HD). The upscaling would have provided the additional pixels, but not the additional detail, in really simplistic terms the upscaling provides an interpolation of the missing pixel values from the pixel values it has, maybe providing a more complicated algorithm than a weighted average of neighboring pixels, but ultimately it cannot produce what just isn't in the video signal.

So, am I receiving a "true 1080p" signal of KATU 2.3 (Comet TV)? TV says it is, but KATU is broadcasting it as 480i, Comcast is sending a further compressed Comet TV signal to the HD DVR I am renting, and the HD DVR is decompressing the video signal, deinterlacing and upscaling that 480i image (approximately 704x480 pixels, interlaced scanning) to 1920x1080 (progressive scanning) pixels, and then the TV thinks it has received a 1080p signal, so pressing Info on the TV remote shows I am watching 1080p content. But the lack of fine detail in the picture reveals that it isn't high definition after all.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 155 of 282

My TV upconverts all X1 channels to 1080p, regardless of what the X1 STB sends to it.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 156 of 282

Comcast is in the process of converting all digital output for the programming it provides (does not affect your local broadcast channel format) to 720p removing 1080i (interlaced that is loosely equivalent to 540p with very bad interframe movement depiction). If the conversion has happened it is probably better to set teh cable box to output 720p and let your own TV upconvert the image for diaplay on its panel's native resolution. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 157 of 282

The XG1v4 is supposed to pair with Bluetooth headphone -- but, when you try, it asks for a 7-digit pairing key.

Any ideas?

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 158 of 282

I'm in Philly suburbs and I have one.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 159 of 282

Rusty:

You made a believer out of me in how Comcast is now handling 1080i channels left on cable.

After switching back and forth between the 1080i signal on CBS (PGA Gulf) over the air (my antenna) and the 1080i signal on CBS on Comcast cable I can now see the difference. I can see the short mowed grass on the greens and a better picture of players and clothes when in the shadows. The sub-standard picture from Comcast causes players in shadows to look dark with color loss in comparison.

Please see that Comcast discounts my monthly bill to compensates me for reduced quality of service.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 160 of 282

Nope...good suggestion will do that in a few minutes.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 161 of 282

I have an XG1v4 on the way in Houston...

The online people say it'll work with the other X1 DVR.  Will it?

Of course, they also said I could go to the local Comcast store and get an XG1v4 (the store said they couldn't do it) and that it'd be $9.95 or $10/month (two different online chats).

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 162 of 282

bhall139 wrote:

Of course, they also said I could go to the local Comcast store and get an XG1v4 (the store said they couldn't do it) and that it'd be $9.95 or $10/month (two different online chats).

yes once it connects to the 'required' special new Comcast rental modem

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 163 of 282

Rustyben wrote:

I haven't heard that one yet.  Is that the 802.11ac version of the Comcast modem/router?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 164 of 282
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 165 of 282

Rustyben wrote:

bhall139 wrote:

I didn't find a link for that information.  Do you have one?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 166 of 282
Rusty Ben is confusing this with an xi5, no gateway connection required.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 167 of 282

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Thanks.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 168 of 282

ComcastAndrew wrote:

thank you for the 'catch' - you are correct on my error.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 169 of 282
I asked for it the tech didn't even know about it until he brought it to my house he said it was the latest dvr box one he had
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 170 of 282

What is the make and model of the Bluetooth headphone you are trying to pair?

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 171 of 282

My new DVR box arrived today.  And, surprise, it isn't an XG1v4 as promised.  It's an Arris XG1a.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 172 of 282

Now I have two Arris XG1a boxes.  And no XG1v4.

Are the phone people any better than the chat people?  The chat people keep telling me I can get that box, and assure me I'll get the right one (that last one said he was permanently fixing the issue, and verified that it was an XG1v4), but that doesn't seem to translate to actually getting the right box.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 173 of 282

bhall139 wrote:

Are the phone people any better than the chat people?  The chat people keep telling me I can get that box, and assure me I'll get the right one (that last one said he was permanently fixing the issue, and verified that it was an XG1v4), but that doesn't seem to translate to actually getting the right box.

This says they are only for new installs.  Is yours a new install?

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XG1v4-TV-Box/m-p/2907630#M129152

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 174 of 282

I found out from a Comcast (high level, not support) employee that they aren't available (not sure about new or existing installs) in Houston.  The online people don't know that; the people in the store didn't either.  The onlline people (more than one) said they were available in the stores, but probably aren't.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 175 of 282

bhall139 wrote:

Are the phone people any better than the chat people?  

No

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 176 of 282

My co-worker who lives in Peabody, MA just got one of the new v4 boxes this weekend.  Now I want one.   His was in the repair guy's truck. He said it was a new box and only had one left.  Not a new install.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 177 of 282

I just had this box connected Monday.  It works great but I just noticed that the light in front which is white and seems to be the only light is flashing.   Even if i turn the TV off the light stays flashing.   It wasn't doing this when it was connected.

any ideas?

EDITED TO SAY I RE CYCLED THE BOX USING THE "a" AND THE LIGHT IS STEADY NOW AGAIN.

WOULD STILL LIKE TO KNOW WHY IT WAS FLASHING.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 178 of 282

Bunella wrote:

I just had this box connected Monday.  It works great but I just noticed that the light in front which is white and seems to be the only light is flashing.   Even if i turn the TV off the light stays flashing.   It wasn't doing this when it was connected.

any ideas?

I have asked for an Offficial Employee to look at your post. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 179 of 282

Bunella wrote:

any ideas?

Had the same problem with v4 last night into this morning. My box was non-responding but was outputing BLACK to TV.  I power-cycled the box this morning and all is well so far.  I did notice there was an STB update when the box rebooted.  May or may not have anything to do with the issue.    Anyone else with v4 and this issue.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 180 of 282

Ntsc358 wrote:

Bunella wrote:

any ideas?

Had the same problem with v4 last night into this morning. My box was non-responding but was outputing BLACK to TV.  I power-cycled the box this morning and all is well so far.  I did notice there was an STB update when the box rebooted.  May or may not have anything to do with the issue.    Anyone else with v4 and this issue.

The box is working great and having no problems with live TV or DVR shows.  Hesitate to power cycle and ruin a good thing.  I have no clue how to tell whether there was an update or not.  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 181 of 282

Rustyben wrote:

Bunella wrote:

any ideas?

I have asked for an Offficial Employee to look at your post. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee. 

Thanks so much.  Hate to have to power cycle every time it happens.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 182 of 282

Just to be clear, my box was dead AND the light was flashing, thus requiring the reboot.   If your box is working OK BUT has the flashing light that could be a totally different situation, perhaps a communication issue with the server.   Maybe someone from Comcast can let us know the significance of the flashing light on the V4.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 183 of 282

I am pretty sure it means loading or rebooting.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 184 of 282

Not in my case.  The light was flashing for more than 6 hours.

Posted by
Contributor
  • You have posted 10 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 185 of 282

Have anybody with a xg1v4 box tried the new youtube app that was launched last night?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 186 of 282

4fclubmf wrote:

Have anybody with a xg1v4 box tried the new youtube app that was launched last night?

I'm not a real youtube user but i did just check and it is working.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 187 of 282

i have gone to the service center and i pick up a sec DVR and i have got  the XG1v4 DVR i am in NJ it works very great and have very good pic every now and then my tv screen go off and come s back on real fast on HDMI couple times a day i dont know if anyone ease have same issue with there XG1v4 DVR Box i dont know if an softweare issue or needs an update for the HDMI on the the XG1v4 DVR Box that may be a bug that may need be fix with an update 

thank you 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 188 of 282

Glad u have secured a XG1v4 dvr box. Can u upload a pic? I’d like to see what the box and screen looks like.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 189 of 282

ik2k16 wrote:

Glad u have secured a XG1v4 dvr box. Can u upload a pic? I’d like to see what the box and screen looks like.

What screen?  The X1 screens are the same on all STB's.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XG1v4-TV-Box/m-p/2907630#M129152

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 190 of 282

After few years with Comcast I did just that leave Comcast, with the exception of the internet, after this past seasons end to College Basketball (April 2017) and went with just ROKU, Kodi and others.

Surprising (not really, sort of expected) after leaving Comcast, I started receiving calls and mail from them for deals. With basketball season approaching I went to local Xfinity office yesterday (North Haven, CT), wanting Double Play Pkg; Digital Preffered, HD, DVR and "no contract" ($10 more per month), reason for no contract come April, that's right cutting cord again.

Back at the office, I get handed this "small" XG4 box (must be short version for XG1v4), about half the size of previous box I turned in earlier this year. I have to say, I miss the clock. I am curios about the Ethernet port on back of this box, I will try connecting my ROKU to it and see if it's active.

EDIT: Does not appear the Ethernet port is enabled on this box. ROKU does not recognize it. (if someone out there know how to enable this port, if it can, please reply here. Thanks)

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 191 of 282

dmercurio1400 wrote:

After few years with Comcast I did just that leave Comcast, with the exception of the internet, after this past seasons end to College Basketball (April 2017) and went with just ROKU, Kodi and others.

Surprising (not really, sort of expected) after leaving Comcast, I started receiving calls and mail from them for deals. With basketball season approaching I went to local Xfinity office yesterday (North Haven, CT), wanting Double Play Pkg; Digital Preffered, HD, DVR and "no contract" ($10 more per month), reason for no contract come April, that's right cutting cord again.

Back at the office, I get handed this "small" XG4 box (must be short version for XG1v4), about half the size of previous box I turned in earlier this year. I have to say, I miss the clock. I am curios about the Ethernet port on back of this box, I will try connecting my ROKU to it and see if it's active.

EDIT: Does not appear the Ethernet port is enabled on this box. ROKU does not recognize it. (if someone out there know how to enable this port, if it can, please reply here. Thanks)

There is no way to activate the ethernet port.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 192 of 282

ethernet port for all X1 boxs are disabled there no way to turn it on 

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 193 of 282

@RobertWy and @dan9055 thanks much on info regarding Ethernet port.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 194 of 282

Just swapped my mx011anm  for a xg1v4-a today if I notice any big differences I'll post them

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 195 of 282

I just picked mine up today and it only shows up to 1080p as the highest option but I guess that's because I doon't have a 4k TV yet ( waiting for the oled 4k's to drop in price ) and the box can sense that?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 196 of 282

FWIW I also noticed it seems "snappier"

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 197 of 282

does it have passthrough resolution available?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 198 of 282

Nope, mine shows and my buffer is greater than 25 minutes

IMG_20170911_204750.jpg
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 199 of 282

cldlhd,

Exactly what TV do you have your XG1V4 connected to?

Is your TV ISF calibrated?

cldlhd wrote:

Just swapped my mx011anm  for a xg1v4-a today if I notice any big differences I'll post them

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 200 of 282

No it isn't ISF calibrated , I just did it myself with a Blu-Ray. It's only 1080p I'm thinking the box can tell whats connected and that's why it doesn't show 2160. I'm waiting for the 4k oleds to come down a little.