discussions

XG1v4 TV Box

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 51 of 234

pcmichael wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

pcmichael wrote:

I'm in South Florida and have been having frequent drop outs with my current XG1v3, I'm currently sitting here watching on demand on my iPad because the box keeps dropping every few seconds despite me doing everything to fix it, I plan on visiting a service center tomorrow morning.. would the v4 be something I can request tomorrow? I'd like to get something new, that actually works. 

The box isn't your problem, you have wiring and signal issues that need attention first.

Wiring-the boxes moca levels( how your boxes communicate) is below spec

Signal issues- your dvr is out of spec (downstream too low and high ICFR)

Unrelated to the X1 platform, your modem is barely in spec.

It's been quite awhile since a tech was out, I would suggest that before swapping any equipment.

Good afternoon Andrew,

Can you please check what you checked last night again and tell me if everything looks fine on your end? A technician just left and had to run a temporary line to increase the signal coming into the house. They plan on coming back in two days to finalize everything, but before they do that I would like to make sure everything is up to spec on both the X1 platform and the modem.

Thank you,
Michael

There a 3-4 db improvement on your modem, I'm unable to see the DVR is it unplugged?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Contributor

Message 52 of 234
How disappointing! I literally drove an hour round trip out to the service center for the manager to tell me they don’t have a single v4 box and haven’t even had any yet. Swore up and down there is no way the 800 number would be able to tell what versions he has in inventory and proceeded to apologize and then replace my v3 box with a v1 box! Of course he told me he was just swapping it for the “same thing” so I had no idea till I got home that it was a v1. So now I’m down to 5 tuners and a DVR that is so dang loud it sounds like it’s about to launch into space! So dang frustrated. So now I’ll waste another hour tomorrow going back and getting the proper box.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 53 of 234

Well I just read about how to check the signal on the DVR and here's what I got.. see attachment. I could probably pick up some signal if I didn't have to have a splitter at the DVR wall outlet to accomadate the wireless gateway. Should I be chasing this down (it won't be easy as it's an exterior wall) or is my signal fine to support everything now and into the foreseeable future? Comcast reps keep saying the XG1v4 is only being done via professional install at the discretion of the technician (based on signal level essentially), does anyone know what sort of signal level would constitute a green light for the technician to think installing the v4 would be fine?

IMG_0736.JPG
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 54 of 234

pcmichael wrote:

Well I just read about how to check the signal on the DVR and here's what I got.. see attachment. I could probably pick up some signal if I didn't have to have a splitter at the DVR wall outlet to accomadate the wireless gateway. Should I be chasing this down (it won't be easy as it's an exterior wall) or is my signal fine to support everything now and into the foreseeable future? Comcast reps keep saying the XG1v4 is only being done via professional install at the discretion of the technician (based on signal level essentially), does anyone know what sort of signal level would constitute a green light for the technician to think installing the v4 would be fine?

Your DVR is well within spec. As posted in the very first post in this thread, that version is only for new customers (as of right now) in certain areas. As a tech myself, I can tell you swapping boxes does nothing to fix signal issues. Good luck, replacing this one. and sorry for the runaround but it's true there's no way that customer service would know the inventory levels in any one store at any time.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 55 of 234
Thanks again Andrew. I went back to the SC this morning and asked for a v3 and replaced an XiD with an XG2 for the extra tuners. Ironically I was “randomly” (or maybe not), given the same v3 I turned in yesterday. Like you said, there was probably never an issue with the box... I only swapped it yesterday so my drive wasn’t in vain. Oh well, here’s to hoping now that the signal is better that I’ll be issue free. I can always move the XB3 to a bedroom that doesn’t have a TV and therefore take the only splitter in use in the house out of the mix if need be, but it seems my levels are all within spec now, so I’ll leave that as an ace for a later day.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 56 of 234
Well, the technician came back this evening and pulled a new home run and bundled it up properly. RG11 from the tap to the external box on the side of the house and then RG6 from the box to lossless amp in the attic. Also got to switch back to a XG1v3. See the attachments to see where my signals on the DVR and XB3 ended up. The signals are of course a little better on the XG2s due to no splitters. All in all, I think everything is sorted out finally. Thanks guys.
IMG_2857.JPG
Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 57 of 234
It's out now. I'm in Big South (Specifically Atlanta) and have installed two this past week. They're pretty awesome.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 58 of 234
They're awesome. You wouldn't really need to replace any, but their 4K support is awesome and Bluetooth is prepping for another piece of equipment coming down the pipe.
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 59 of 234
"Their 4K support is awesome"???

If you read the announcement at the beginning of this thread, Comcast Jessie tells us there won't be 4K content available until late in 2017.

You may have the box set to 4K output but that doesn't mean that you are actually watching native 4K content...
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 60 of 234

I had a lead technician do some work a month or so ago, and say these were going to be in my area on July 7th (Minneapolis, 55443).  Stopped in to my local Xfinity store on the 7th and they had no idea what was going on with them.

If these need field install, would it be better to call and try to get new boxes over the phone vs going into the store?  Or does anyone have any idea on these and xi5 box availability?

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 61 of 234
XG1V4 apparently doesn't exist in the Twin Cities market...
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 62 of 234

I'm just curious -- just what is available on the XG1v4?  It appears nothing at the beginning.  "4K content will not be available right at launch. This will come later on, first with according to a Comcast source on the Xfinity forums: “Netflix on X1 (Premium Plan), a XG1v4 and a 4K TV. Later phases of 4K will include select XFINITY On Demand, Live TV and DVR content.”"

There's nothing with that box that I can't just as easily get now elsewhere.  Maybe if they do eventually add some live TV, it'd be worth it.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 63 of 234
What the heck -- gotta keep up with technology, right? I'll be picking one up this afternoon (there are 39 available at my local service center).

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 64 of 234
This is gonna be interesting Ed considering we have been told many times that phone reps cannot see what service centers have in stock...
Posted by
Contributor

Message 65 of 234

RickGr4 wrote:
This is gonna be interesting Ed considering we have been told many times that phone reps cannot see what service centers have in stock...

100% correct, I wouldn't bother wasting a drive based on information provided over the phone. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 66 of 234
It's just a few blocks from my house, so not that big of a deal. I was told via both chat and via phone that they had 39 boxes in stock. Of course, they had none as they're still in employee trials here. Not a total loss though, as while there he told me that they were now allowing user equipment for the 1Gig internet service. I'm getting that installed Thursday afternoon.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 67 of 234

I just got home from an RV trip today.

I tried the old "Ultra HD Sampler" app and it did not function for any of the left-over 4K programs. That means Comcast has absolutely no 4K programing for either linear cable or internet high speed broad-band as of right now.

I hope they are just working on the app now which could cause the problem. I will check again later today.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 68 of 234

Hmmmmmm,

Roughly a week ago, I was able to watch an entire episode of Superstore. It loaded slowly but otherwise seemed fine.

I will check later today.

MNtundraRET wrote:

I tried the old "Ultra HD Sampler" app and it did not function for any of the left-over 4K programs. That means Comcast has absolutely no 4K programing for either linear cable or internet high speed broad-band as of right now.

I hope they are just working on the app now which could cause the problem. I will check again later today.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 69 of 234

This new 4K cable-box would be able to produce a better "up-scaled to 4K" picture for anyone with a 4K television of lower quality. Mainly because the box outputs 4K meaning the local 1080i channels still found on Comcast Cable along with many 1080i programs still being being output in 1080i on the ON DEMAND listings after the first broadcast seen on the original channels now only outputting a 720p version of the program.

There was an earlier post going over the merits of setting older cable-boxes to 1080p, 1080i, 720p, or 480p. The point being missed by the majority of repliers is that if the box is set to say "720p" will not output to total pixels of real signal (1080). 720p has only 45% as many real signal pixels.

A 4k television was designed to synthesize a 4K picture from 1080 (1K) by filling out surrounding pixels starting with 25% real signal. Using a 720p signal requires synthesizing a final picture starting with only 12% real signal pixels. A quality brand high end UHD television can handle the problem better if the owner understands how to use the special features of his set to offset for this problem.

The comparison of progressive versus interlace comes in to play much less for new televisions with faster frame rates. Setting a box to 1080i or 1080p is best for people with a 4K television. As my grandmother used to say: "You can't spin silk from a sows ear"

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 70 of 234

You are missing one very important point. There is a very good possibility that even a high end 4K TV set will produce a better picture when receiving 4K signal, regardless of what the native signal is.........

I hope to demonstrate this fairly soon.

MNtundraRET wrote:

This new 4K cable-box would be able to produce a better "up-scaled to 4K" picture for anyone with a 4K television of lower quality. Mainly because the box outputs 4K meaning the local 1080i channels still found on Comcast Cable along with many 1080i programs still being being output in 1080i on the ON DEMAND listings after the first broadcast seen on the original channels now only outputting a 720p version of the program.

There was an earlier post going over the merits of setting older cable-boxes to 1080p, 1080i, 720p, or 480p. The point being missed by the majority of repliers is that if the box is set to say "720p" will not output to total pixels of real signal (1080). 720p has only 45% as many real signal pixels.

A 4k television was designed to synthesize a 4K picture from 1080 (1K) by filling out surrounding pixels starting with 25% real signal. Using a 720p signal requires synthesizing a final picture starting with only 12% real signal pixels. A quality brand high end UHD television can handle the problem better if the owner understands how to use the special features of his set to offset for this problem.

The comparison of progressive versus interlace comes in to play much less for new televisions with faster frame rates. Setting a box to 1080i or 1080p is best for people with a 4K television. As my grandmother used to say: "You can't spin silk from a sows ear"

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 71 of 234

MNtundraRET wrote:

Comcast is converting to HVEC and taking that one progressive scan and creating all the others. the networks last I heard provide only progressive on-demand (HD). Comcast has signaled they are going to be all progressive and even hinted they are moving to all IPTV.

Real pixels don't exist for 1/2 of the lines in 108pi they are synthesized by computation and estimation from two different images creating a computed line that does indeed take up stream. the work of a deinterlacer makes a pretty poor estimation of what could have already been a progressive image. Then end of CRT is at hand as far as support so interlaced will finally be put out of its misery just as NTSC was ended.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 72 of 234
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 73 of 234

The labs do the side by side testing and certification of the advances in the mpeg codecs. Unless there is as good or better video and a specific measured reduction in bit rate (storage of equivalent or better video) then the codec is not proposed. the current step approved over mpeg-4 is mpeg-H commonly referred to as mpeg-5. It is very 'scientific' and measured. You will believe what you wish to believe.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 74 of 234

Another factor to consider is if the Comcast STBs are capable of handling a new video compression standard.  If Comcast has to replace tens of millions of STBs it may take a long time before a new compression standard is adopted.  One other factor to consider in the switch to 720p and Mpeg-4 is the amount of compression used.  I have viewed ESPN and FOX sports which are transmitted in 720p (along with FOX local programming) and they look great.  One advantage of 720p is the ability to compress it more efficiently than 1080i, however as with 1080i content if too much compression is used it can degrade the picture quality.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 75 of 234

pgoldberg wrote:

Another factor to consider is if the Comcast STBs are capable of handling a new video compression standard.  If Comcast has to replace tens of millions of STBs it may take a long time before a new compression standard is adopted.  One other factor to consider in the switch to 720p and Mpeg-4 is the amount of compression used.  I have viewed ESPN and FOX sports which are transmitted in 720p (along with FOX local programming) and they look great.  One advantage of 720p is the ability to compress it more efficiently than 1080i, however as with 1080i content if too much compression is used it can degrade the picture quality.

codecs depend more on available memory and processing power. the 'software' is easily updated in firmware. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 76 of 234

Yes and no,  Comcast had to replace all their STBs to go to Mpeg-4. When YouTube implemented HDR 4K only a limited number of devices had the SOC (processor and graphics ability) to display / decode this content.   

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 77 of 234

pgoldberg wrote:

Yes and no,  Comcast had to replace all their STBs to go to Mpeg-4. When YouTube implemented HDR 4K only a limited number of devices had the SOC (processor and graphics ability) to display / decode this content.   

the old xfinity TV boxes did not have hardware than can run the mpeg4 codecs. Now the push in technology appears to be streaming and in X1 that means IPTV is the future for us with Comcast.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 78 of 234

Rusty:

You appear to be saying that Comcast may be way off in getting 4K linear cable signals. Which of course is what Direct TV can do now.

I already have optical cable on my DSL for high-speed broadband internet (IPTV). My options are cheaper by going You Tube Red, You Tube, or Amazon Prime, for UHD or Blue Ray (1080p) for quality programing. My area still is on the old Legacy cable and you are just giving more reasons to dump cable after being on it since 1974.

I would hope Comcast could prove you wrong by my getting to test a 4K cable-box.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 79 of 234

Rustyben wrote:

The labs do the side by side testing and certification of the advances in the mpeg codecs. Unless there is as good or better video and a specific measured reduction in bit rate (storage of equivalent or better video) then the codec is not proposed. the current step approved over mpeg-4 is mpeg-H commonly referred to as mpeg-5. It is very 'scientific' and measured. You will believe what you wish to believe.

He didn't ask about Labs and CODECS and bit rate and so forth.  He asked about Rusty's eyes.

In the lab, they just make sure that things are within specs or tolerances.  That does not mean that differences that still fall within those tolerances can't be seen by the human eye

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 80 of 234

MNtundraRET wrote:

I tried the old "Ultra HD Sampler" app and it did not function for any of the left-over 4K programs.

Works fine for me, other than just Superstore, Power, and Outlander being the only programs available.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 81 of 234

MNtundraRET wrote:

Rusty:

You appear to be saying that Comcast may be way off in getting 4K linear cable signals. Which of course is what Direct TV can do now.

I already have optical cable on my DSL for high-speed broadband internet (IPTV). My options are cheaper by going You Tube Red, You Tube, or Amazon Prime, for UHD or Blue Ray (1080p) for quality programing. My area still is on the old Legacy cable and you are just giving more reasons to dump cable after being on it since 1974.

I would hope Comcast could prove you wrong by my getting to test a 4K cable-box.

Comcast might do 4k or just skip directly to IP delivered 8k (which would include 4k as a fallback). as they move off QAM delivery. I've noted that the 4k sampler is not getting more and more programming and the stated move to an IP delivery as an objective. I have no inside information. (ever). FWIW i'm not giving reasons to do anything. There is a lot of new glass being laid and much of the older glass laid is still dark. It would not take much effort in the cities to bring glass closer to the home (taps) and then transition to glass to the home. Time will tell (hopefully in my lifetime).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 82 of 234

I doubt Comcast would be doing 8K even over IP since almost no one has 8K TVs in the US..  Currently even 4K content is limited. The most visual difference will be the implementation of 4K HDR which will allow a much larger range of colors and brightness levels.  

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 83 of 234

pgoldberg wrote:

I doubt Comcast would be doing 8K even over IP since almost no one has 8K TVs in the US..  Currently even 4K content is limited. The most visual difference will be the implementation of 4K HDR which will allow a much larger range of colors and brightness levels.  

I realize now I should have said 8k capable. Who can imagine what is next besides video resolution. Mpeg4 allows for all the audio enhancements like ATMOS and beyond. Wish I could 'see' visual entertainment 100 years from now just to know 'where' it is going. I always thought television needed smell-o-vision but they already did that in a movie or two.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 84 of 234

I did check the UHD Sampler app this morning. It works but absolutely nothing new added.

Also; I am still watching Tour De France in 3D (2D converted to 3D) on my 2015 65 inch Samsung 3D UHD curved television. With MPEG 4 in use the 720P output converts well to 3D. This would be expected for those familiar with the MPEG4 convention. The channel watched is: " NBC SN " on linear cable (live or replayed).

Posted by
Contributor

Message 85 of 234

I am in the Atlanta area also. How were you able to get one of these XG4's ? Did you have a new install or were you able to swap out an old box for one at the Xfinity store ?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 86 of 234

Looking at replies here, no one who was not a new customer has managed to get the new 4k cable-box yet.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 87 of 234
I just emailed a sales person at my local Xfinity store and asked if they have any. Haven't heard back yet. I'll post a reply if I can get my hands on one.
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 88 of 234

Other's have been told this before. Unless you are a new customer no way are you going to get one right now.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 89 of 234

MNtundraRET wrote:

Other's have been told this before. Unless you are a new customer no way are you going to get one right now.

By the way, Thank you so much Comcast for supplying your brand new customers in my area with a STB capable of outputing a 4K signal.  I've only been a customer for, I don't know, 30 years or so, not like I wanted one of these once you had them........

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 90 of 234

jwmccnn wrote:

MNtundraRET wrote:

By the way, Thank you so much Comcast for supplying your brand new customers in my area with a STB capable of outputing a 4K signal.  I've only been a customer for, I don't know, 30 years or so, not like I wanted one of these once you had them........

you are not missing anything yet at all. The set top box max source resolution is 720p60 and 1080i (local channels) and mpeg4. There is no Comcast channel in 4k. Let the new installs do the beta and production testing so we get the improved versions. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 91 of 234

Rusty:

I believe you meant to say the box only needs to be set to 720p or 1080i since there is no 4k /HDR,  or Blu-ray 1080p, to watch. The box is a 4K/HDR cable-box but absolutely no reason to set it that way for now. Also; no reason for me to want one until the bugs are found and fixed, and Comcast has 4K or Blu-ray movies to watch. I can get the Netflix app, and other 4K apps anytime without Comcast.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 92 of 234

MNtundraRET wrote:

Rusty:

I believe you meant to say the box only needs to be set to 720p or 1080i since there is no 4k /HDR,  or Blu-ray 1080p, to watch. The box is a 4K/HDR cable-box but absolutely no reason to set it that way for now. Also; no reason for me to want one until the bugs are found and fixed, and Comcast has 4K or Blu-ray movies to watch. I can get the Netflix app, and other 4K apps anytime without Comcast.

I agree except I would not want to set to interlaced at all (1080p maybe)

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 93 of 234

Rustyben wrote:

MNtundraRET wrote:

Rusty:

I agree except I would not want to set to interlaced at all (1080p maybe)

My X1 boxes are set to 720p and my TV's upconvert the signal to 1080p (except for one, which is a 720p TV).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 94 of 234

Where is the IR window?  Is the box only capable of RF?
Thanks

Posted by
New Poster

Message 95 of 234

Hi - we just had X1 installed - how do I get the latest box? We have a 4K TV and would like to have the box. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 96 of 234

BKAV wrote:

Where is the IR window?  Is the box only capable of RF?
Thanks

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-Boxes-and-IR-Locations/m-p/2720333#M101085

It does both RF and IR.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 97 of 234

I just tried to check and see if this was available in my market and it seem most are still in the dark. No one had any idea about the XG1v4

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 98 of 234

macblue66 wrote:

Hi - we just had X1 installed - how do I get the latest box? We have a 4K TV and would like to have the box. 

Cable maximum resolutions are 720p60 and 1080i there is no 4K cable box programming. Your 4k TV probably has better upscaling circuitry and any input received is converted by the TV to its on progressive format. Probably easiest to set the cable box to 720p.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 99 of 234

Until 4K content is available I would set the box at 1080p.  1080i content would upscale much better to 1080p than reducing it to 720p and then upscaling it to 1080p.  Also 720p content would not suffer an degradation in being upscaled to 1080p.  

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 100 of 234

pgoldberg wrote:

Until 4K content is available I would set the box at 1080p.  1080i content would upscale much better to 1080p than reducing it to 720p and then upscaling it to 1080p.  Aslo 720p content would not suffer an degredation in being upscaled to 1080p.  

converting to interlace from progressive will ruin the data in the actual pictures that make up the video. converting 720p60 to 1080i then taking that 'computed' interlaced and changing it to progressive will cause massive noise and artifacts with any fast movement. There are many videos and articles on google using 'what is better 720p or 1080i' - do select the video option.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon