members

online now

discussions

XG1v4 TV Box

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 201 of 277

Well,

I have a 4K OLED and I am waiting for someone to post some accurate and reliable information in regards to the XG1V4.

Speculation and quess work is poisoning this forum.

cldlhd wrote:

No it isn't ISF calibrated , I just did it myself with a Blu-Ray. It's only 1080p I'm thinking the box can tell whats connected and that's why it doesn't show 2160. I'm waiting for the 4k oleds to come down a little.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 202 of 277

Ummm ...ok. It's kind of funny because I didn't even know this box existed until I brought my old xg1 in for replacement and the store employee handed it to me. I can only post what I'm experiencing I'm sorry if my current TV doesn't make my situation helpful for you. I'll do my best in the future to only post if I know absolutely everything on the subject. I'm very sorry if I didn't take this forum seriously enough.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 203 of 277
Not your fault. Picture quality issues are a sensitive topic for me. This forum would be MUCH better if Comcast provided support for audio/video enthusiasts. However at this point there are forum members that know much more about X1 and how it interacts with high performance audio/video products than 99.9% of Comcast employees do.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 204 of 277

cldlhd wrote:

Ummm ...ok. It's kind of funny because I didn't even know this box existed until I brought my old xg1 in for replacement and the store employee handed it to me. I can only post what I'm experiencing I'm sorry if my current TV doesn't make my situation helpful for you. I'll do my best in the future to only post if I know absolutely everything on the subject. I'm very sorry if I didn't take this forum seriously enough.

I appreciate your posts fwiw. and thanks for the screen shot too. I use Netflix' own test patterns to set up sharpness, contrast, brightness (after turning off all the 'automated' features. Like you, I skipped the curved screen, the 3d (imo scam) stuff too. It appears that the next 'jump' will be directly to 8k but only time will tell. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 205 of 277

Thanks. I plan on getting a 4k oled some time in the next year or so but busy with a lot of home renovations and my current TV isn't that old. 

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 206 of 277

This is a placeholder for a post that was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 207 of 277

Rusty:

Why do you post incorrect information on equipment you do not own?

3D UHD curved televisions are not a "scam"!

The Samsung curved screen is layered and produces a "3D effect" in 4K programing without glasses. Read the specifications for the products. The Real 3D movies are excellent on my tv. I have 16 3D  movies at present.

The only thing Comcast has going for us with high end televisions since starting MPEG4 is our ability to convert the 720p MPEG 4 "2D" picture to "3D" picture. It worked fine for me last night watching the football game in 3D. The MPEG 4 convention works much better for 3D rendering of a 2D picture. It makes the 3D feature found on my television much more valuable to me since the conversion to MPEG4.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 208 of 277
Last night during the Vikings game I extensively compared the CBS/Comcast broadcast to the local over the air broadcast.

In my opinion the difference is substantial. It is just another glaring indicator of how far behind Comcast truly is with X1. I have been looking more closely at Dish Network and they appear to have X1 beat in all aspects of the game.

I flipped back and forth enough times to annoy my girlfriend but even she could see the difference.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 209 of 277
So you have an HD antenna to get the local broadcast? Where I'm at the game was only on ESPN.
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 210 of 277
I have always had antennas connected to my two main TV sets, mainly used as a back up in case Comcast went down. However with Comcast's recent picture quality downgrades, I find myself using the antenna much more often...simply because the picture quality is significantly better.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 211 of 277

The bluetooth is working really well with my Audio Technica headphones.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 212 of 277
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 213 of 277
In what ways?

Why would you make a comment like that but not support it...?
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 214 of 277
Ya in what ways? I've only had mine a little less than a week but I like it better than my xg1. It seems faster, admittedly I only have a 1080p TV but the picture is at least as good and the Netflix app is noticeably sharper to the point I haven't been streaming it on my PS4. Also the Bluetooth works great with my headphones.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 215 of 277

When I change between channels it takes longer. The color and sharpnes of picture is inferior to previous box. I went through all the resolutions multiple times and re set the box and get the same results. The 2160/60 resolution is inferior to the 1080P/60. It makes the picture washed out and the colors are actually sligtly different. Maybe others have different results from me ...

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 216 of 277

The only way I can support it is by looking at the picture quality and observing the time it takes to complete reqiured task as compared to my old box ...

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 217 of 277

hovado wrote:

When I change between channels it takes longer. The color and sharpnes of picture is inferior to previous box. I went through all the resolutions multiple times and re set the box and get the same results. The 2160/60 resolution is inferior to the 1080P/60. It makes the picture washed out and the colors are actually sligtly different. Maybe others have different results from me ...

if you try the 720p setting on the set top box does the TV do a better job at upscaling? (picture quality) than letting set top box upscale it?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 218 of 277
I'm observing the opposite. The box seems quicker and the picture is at least as good and mostly better
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 219 of 277

Running the box at 720 did not improve the quality of the picture. 1080P/60 produces the best results.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 220 of 277

That is what I was hoping for ...

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 221 of 277

RickGr4 wrote:
I have always had antennas connected to my two main TV sets, mainly used as a back up in case Comcast went down. However with Comcast's recent picture quality downgrades, I find myself using the antenna much more often...simply because the picture quality is significantly better.

I bought a Channel Master DVR+ for that very reason.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 222 of 277

Was there any official decision on whether to set the box to 2160 or let the TV upscale from a lower resolution?  I got a new Sony 75Z9D and it's supposed to have very good upscaling.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 223 of 277
Up to you to test it for yourself.
Highlighted
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 224 of 277

I'm impressed with the smooth operation of the XG1v4 so far.  Much quicker to receive remote commands, guide is very fast and DVR playback responds a whole-lot better.

It seems pretty unlikely that Comcast's mass-produced boxes would have better video processing that a Sony Z9.  They are both working with the same highly-compressed signal (usually 720p), but the Z9 has some advantages, I think:

(1) the external box is very clunky when switching between resolutions
(2) upscaling in the box to 2160 still requires further upscaling to 4K....the Z9D does it one step, which is probably better (even if only slightly noticeable)
(3) the Z9D offers many more processing options to mitigate compression artifacts when upscaling to 4K...these can be applied after-the fact, but again, keeping it one processor designed to do all of this seems like a better idea to me.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 225 of 277
2160 and 4K are one in the same.
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 226 of 277

Until you have watched real 4K programming over You Tube, Netflix, etc., on high-speed broadband, what you think is good up-scaling from Comcast is a far cry from the real thing.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 227 of 277

I know MNtundraRET, I have Roku Ultra which also handles HDR on Netflix etc.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 228 of 277

Rick, I misstated 2160 as 4K, I meant 1080 as Hovado had speculated.

Testing it myself has worked well for me over my entire career in broadcast television operations.

I was thinking someone had actually benched a measurement of the different resolutions this new XG1v4 offers.

Things don't change, thank you for your support.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 229 of 277

Will this XG1v4 play 4K native content through the Youtube app?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 230 of 277

Can anyone confirm what areas the box has been launched in?  When I contact Comcast, they tell me it’s available in my area 98030 in Washington state. But when I go to pick it up at the Comcast store, they say it’s not out yet. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 231 of 277

Eazydeazy wrote:

Can anyone confirm what areas the box has been launched in?  When I contact Comcast, they tell me it’s available in my area 98030 in Washington state. But when I go to pick it up at the Comcast store, they say it’s not out yet. 

the first post at top of page one of this thread states that currently the device is only available for new installs and that the tech has to install it (professional installation charge).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 232 of 277

Rustyben wrote:

Eazydeazy wrote:

the first post at top of page one of this thread states that currently the device is only available for new installs and that the tech has to install it (professional installation charge).

That's not my experience. I've been with comcast for over 20 years and I was handed one at the local store and did a self install. I live in the suburbs of Philly.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 233 of 277

SiegeX:

You are the one with the new 4K box. Go ahead and try it.

However; if Comcast was serious in testing this 4K and 1080p capable box they would have installed a version of the "Ultra HD Sampler" app which still has some 4K offerings. They could also have offered some Blu-Ray (1080p) movies for watching.

It seems to me that they are worried about this box even handling their current over compressed 720p output. The box should have gone to those of us with newest technology televisions who understand what a good signal would look like and could give good feedback about the boxe's shortcomings.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 234 of 277
Anyone in the metro Atlanta area able to swap at a local store and get one of these XG4’s ?
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 235 of 277

MNtundraRET wrote:

SiegeX:

You are the one with the new 4K box. Go ahead and try it.

Awesome, when did that happen?

For those of you that really do have the XG1v4, can you tell me if it natively plays 4K Youtube content?

Thanks

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 236 of 277

Not sure where the disconnect is here.

Comicast has no 4K content.

I will happily watch 4K using my Roku Ultra or Sony UHD 4K Blu-ray player while Comicast falls further behind.

SiegeX wrote:
“SiegeX:
You are the one with the new 4K box. Go ahead and try it.”

MNtundraRET:
Awesome, when did that happen?

For those of you that really do have the XG1v4, can you tell me if it natively plays 4K Youtube content?

Thanks

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 237 of 277

SiegeX:

Your reply is very confusing. If you got to the site, exactly what 4K did you get to watch?

You gave no specific information in your reply. I smell sarcasm here.   Smiley Wink

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 238 of 277

As said above, Comcast XG1v4 does not play anything (at this time) in 4K or HDR.  

Posted pictures below:

1) Sony Z9D YouTube app (close up of info) showing Codec VP9

2) Comcast YouTube app through v4 with the box set to 720p resolution.

Sony Z9D YouTube App b.JPGComcast YouTube App.JPG

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 239 of 277

^^^ pictures came out mashed, last one is Comcast.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 240 of 277

Actually the Comcast resolution is 426X240 at 60fps. That is very low and on my 1080p X1 boxes I get up to 1920 x 1080 at 60fps.   What you need to look at is current and optimal resolution.  The optimal resolution shows currently the maximum YouTube that the XG1v4 can process is 1929 x 1080 (1080p).

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 241 of 277

I set the box to 2160 60p and the Youtube current and optimal are at 1920x1080 60p.  So, if set at 720p the tv will upscale to 4K, but Comcast apps remain at the lower resolution.  

IMG_2395.JPGIMG_2392.JPG

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 242 of 277

LeeSoFL wrote:

I set the box to 2160 60p and the Youtube current and optimal are at 1920x1080 60p.  So, if set at 720p the tv will upscale to 4K, but Comcast apps remain at the lower resolution.  

excellent testing and information.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 243 of 277

Rustyben wrote:

LeeSoFL wrote:

excellent testing and information.

Yes, thank you, appreciate the detailed info.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 244 of 277

LeeSoFL wrote:

I'm impressed with the smooth operation of the XG1v4 so far.  Much quicker to receive remote commands, guide is very fast and DVR playback responds a whole-lot better.

It seems pretty unlikely that Comcast's mass-produced boxes would have better video processing that a Sony Z9.  They are both working with the same highly-compressed signal (usually 720p), but the Z9 has some advantages, I think:

(1) the external box is very clunky when switching between resolutions
(2) upscaling in the box to 2160 still requires further upscaling to 4K....the Z9D does it one step, which is probably better (even if only slightly noticeable)
(3) the Z9D offers many more processing options to mitigate compression artifacts when upscaling to 4K...these can be applied after-the fact, but again, keeping it one processor designed to do all of this seems like a better idea to me.

Is the XG1v4-A really faster then the older X1 DVR box for when moving around the X1 UI? If so then I might as well try and get one Smiley Happy

Are most Comcast stores stocking them now?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 245 of 277

I got one, it is pretty fast, but I called in with another issue and just inquired about it.  I had a tech appointment anyway, being as I just signed up and they had to put some "filter" on the line, so I asked if the tech could just bring the XG1V4-A box with him and set it up then.  The lady at first had no idea what I was talking about, but she said let me look into this and she took a few minutes and said yeah we have the box and sure I can make that happen.  The tech came out and hooked up the box.  It kept failing after he left, I would try to turn to certain channels History, FYI, Nat Geo but they kept saying that they were unavailable, after much arguing with Xfinity I was able to get a tech out the next day to fix it, they reran lines from the pole to every room in my apartment, worked fine since then.  I personally find it better to set the resolution lower to 1080p, to me it just seems like a better picture.  When I set it to 2160 it seems to give motion blur and light colors are overbright, maybe it's just me IDK, but that is my experience.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 246 of 277

I had the MX011ANC which was switched for the AX014ANC.  A few weeks ago, they changed the line to RG11 from the pedestal in the front yard to the house.  It might have made the service more stable overall.  The XG1-v4 is smoother, the guide is blistering quick and updates immediately.  The guide on the old box would hang on the prior channel, very annoying.  (if the guide was on 399 and you changed the channel to 431, the guide would continue to show 399 - 403 until you refreshed in two or three times.)

I am not using the 2160 p60 device output setting on the box, as I really believe the TV has a far superior upscaling feature.  I've left the box at 720p (and would surely appreciate some official direction from Comcast folks "in the know.")

Hope you're able to get one, just remember, no clock,  Smiley Happy  I picked up one of these on Amazon.

Capture.PNG

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 247 of 277

This is a placeholder for a post that was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 248 of 277

Hi Rick-  As always, thank you for your detailed response.  The Z9 is new here, delivered two days before Hurricane Irma, which delayed the process of any detailed evaluation.  While I've found some very good settings (the picture is magnificent) I would still consider a pro calibration.  I'd never done that with prior Sony 4K televisions, and the 900A (their first model) had an excellent picture tuned by eye.  

I also consider which device has the newer technology regarding native resolution.  My prior box was designed (probably) last decade, and the Z9, in 2015.  As I understand it, the 75Z9 has among the best upscalling circuitry around.  Even when switching back and forth on high quality video with the new v4 box, I am seeing no difference between the highest setting (2160p) and one with a lower value (720p, 1080i/p.)  so that's why I thought someone in the a higher level of tech support could offer some specs or opinions.   

Thanks always,

Lee

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 249 of 277
Any news on when it’s going to be available in Denver
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 250 of 277

If you have a half-way decent 4K TV then my recommendation would be to set the X1 to output 720p to leave the signal as native as possible and do the upscaling in the TV.   The TV upscaler has intimate knowledge of the panel it will be upscaling to and is likley to result in a better overall outcome.   If you do the upscaling in the X1 you may be doing unnecessary conversions between YCbCr --> RGB and back again.  Each time you do a conversion you lose precsion and could wind up with banding issues.   

Of course at the end of the day the real discrimination is what looks better to your eye?  If you don't see a difference, which is quite possible depending on the size of the TV and distance to your viewing position, then I would default to having the TV upscale IMHO.