Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

XG1v4 TV Box

Regular Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

"converting to interlace from progressive will ruin the data in the actual pictures that make up the video. converting 720p60 to 1080i then taking that 'computed' interlaced and changing it to progressive will cause massive noise and artifacts with any fast movement. There are many videos and articles on google using 'what is better 720p or 1080i' - do select the video"

I never wrote that I stated take 1080i content and have the STB convert it to 1080p (which is what a 1080p TV would do)  I also stated by setting the STB at 1080p it could easily convert 720p content without any loss.    If you have a 4K TV the TV woiuld then convert the 1080p signal from the STB to 4K. If as you stated converting 1080i content to 720p it would reduce the quality of the picture since detail would be lost.    

Service Expert

pgoldberg wrote:

"converting to interlace from progressive will ruin the data in the actual pictures that make up the video. converting 720p60 to 1080i then taking that 'computed' interlaced and changing it to progressive will cause massive noise and artifacts with any fast movement. There are many videos and articles on google using 'what is better 720p or 1080i' - do select the video"

I never wrote that I stated take 1080i content and have the STB convert it to 1080p (which is what a 1080p TV would do)  I also stated by setting the STB at 1080p it could easily convert 720p content without any loss.    If you have a 4K TV the TV woiuld then convert the 1080p signal from the STB to 4K. If as you stated converting 1080i content to 720p it would reduce the quality of the picture since detail would be lost.    

all digital resolutions are taken by the tV and converted to an internal proprietary format for their own flat panel (still images displayed one after the other). If the signal received is interlaced it 'de-interlaces' by estimating lines before and after the current line to make a facsimile image out of the interlaced signal (computer processing). For any channels still being played from Comcast in 1080i (since we don't have the option of pass through resolution) the set top box will (if set to 720p) do that de-interlace. Comcast is moving away from interlaced (CRT output) resolution as the future is progressive streaming IP. Indeed, they have already done that for any device (ipad/apple/roku) in the home playing any live channel or recordings or on-demand content. The TV probably has the best engineered circuitry to upconvert from the 720p60 as compared to the set top box.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

The set top box will also do the de-interlace of it is going form 1080i to 1080p without loosing any picture resolution which would happen on taking 1080i material and converting it to 720p.

Service Expert

pgoldberg wrote:

The set top box will also do the de-interlace of it is going form 1080i to 1080p without loosing any picture resolution which would happen on taking 1080i material and converting it to 720p.

the TV set doesn't convert 'to' anything other than the native format the chips that run the flat panel will process.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

pgoldberg wrote:

The set top box will also do the de-interlace of it going from 1080i to 1080p without loosing any picture resolution which would happen on taking 1080i material and converting it to 720p.

the TV set doesn't convert 'to' anything other than the native format the chips that run the flat panel will process.

You were writing about setting the STB to 720p which I disagree with since it would be detrimental to 1080i content and I was responding to your comment about setting the resolution of the STB, my response was not about the TV.  I do agree that the TV will always put all content into its native resolution.  Some TVs such as the Sony have better upscalers than others. 

Service Expert

pgoldberg wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

pgoldberg wrote:

The set top box will also do the de-interlace of it going from 1080i to 1080p without loosing any picture resolution which would happen on taking 1080i material and converting it to 720p.

You were writing about setting the STB to 720p which I disagree with since it would be detrimental to 1080i content and I was responding to your comment about setting the resolution of the STB, my response was not about the TV.  I do agree that the TV will always put all content into its native resolution.  Some TVs such as the Sony have better upscalers than others.  

de-interlacing (assembling a facsimile of an actual complete picture to display) is incredibly computational intensive to do the best job and one step is running the image through comb filters to remove as much of the noise as possible. The TV's comb filters and processing are very likely to be far and above the set top box's capabilities as the set top box is a bid product while the TV is a 'quality' product designed specifically for that TV's output panel and designed to give the best possible picture image. since pass-through is not available as an option on the set top box and since 1080i is pixel equivalent to around 1/2 of that (540p but with motion artifacts and computed 'pixels'), IMO the best alternative is to set the set top box to 720p and let the TV circuitry/processing upscale natural progressive that is actually passed through without processing, while accepting the 1080i to 720p of the set top box output to the TV. It is not a pretty alternative without the ability to select native output of the signal.  

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

As you stated the native resolution is best.  Until Comcast converts all its content to 720p (in my area this has not occurred) the 1080p option will produce the best results for 1080i content since the box does not have to reduce the number of pixels from 1080 to 720.  Also from numerous sources 1080i to 1080p conversion is the best way to go. With modern processors (such as the ones in the X1 box) de-interlacing has become an easy task. 

Regular Contributor

At least one current customer in NJ has been able to get an XG1v4.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31532255-

Gold Problem Solver

X2 on this.

I believe rusty's concerns about de-interlacing are at least a decade out of date and have been resolved for some time.

pgoldberg wrote:

As you stated the native resolution is best.  Until Comcast converts all its content to 720p (in my area this has not occurred) the 1080p option will produce the best results for 1080i content since the box does not have to reduce the number of pixels from 1080 to 720.  Also from numerous sources 1080i to 1080p conversion is the best way to go. With modern processors (such as the ones in the X1 box) de-interlacing has become an easy task. 

New Poster

Re: XG4 (XG1v4) Launched

The model number of the box is an AX014NC and is not listed in the link you sent over.  See pic no place for IR emitter

Regular Contributor

In order to initiate a pairing to the remote to the STB an IR signal from the remote needs to be sent to the STB. 

Service Expert

thanks for the image, based on the size, wonder if that has an SSD (solid state) storage instead of a standard hard drive.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XG1v4-TV-Box/m-p/2907630#M129152

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I got one yesterday in Pottstown, PA. Received a self-install kit and the box provided (not this model) was stuck in boot/Welcome loop; went to Comcast office and they exchanged for XG1V4. Took it home and it booted up in something like 20 seconds. Only issue so far is it won't play with my Harmony Hub; maybe because remote has voice?

Service Expert

Sunspear wrote:

I got one yesterday in Pottstown, PA. Received a self-install kit and the box provided (not this model) was stuck in boot/Welcome loop; went to Comcast office and they exchanged for XG1V4. Took it home and it booted up in something like 20 seconds. Only issue so far is it won't play with my Harmony Hub; maybe because remote has voice?

Voice shouldn't do that.  Others are using Hub with X1 DVR's and they all have Voice.  Do a reboot and see if you get a software/firmware update.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Sunspear wrote:

Only issue so far is it won't play with my Harmony Hub; maybe because remote has voice?

You'll probably have to add that box to your Harmony Hub.  It's a completely new piece of equipment, not just a replacement of an existing one.

CIAO!

Ed N.
New Poster

Can you connect multiple tvs to one device?

Official Employee

TaRonthapen wrote:

Can you connect multiple tvs to one device?

Sure, but they will all show the same channel.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Problem Solver

XG1v4 Arris TV-box (UHD tv testing)

Comcast is only giving this new HDR / UHD (4k) cable-box to new Comcast customers currently. I think it would have made more sense to use those of us with 4K televisions currently with Comcast and members of the forum.

It seems rather stupid to be offering a 4K cable-box when there is no 4K or HDR programming to be watched using the cable-box (linear cable or over high-speed broad-band) right now.

My question to Comcast people here on the forum. Is there a renamed version of the Ultra HD Sampler app designed for certain Samsung and LG UHD televisions now available for watching HDR / 4K programs (beta mode) over the broadband (IPV) on this cable-box? That would seem to make sense nothing new has been added to the Ultra HD Sampler app in the last few months.

I suppose Comcast considers us old customers on the forum as being biased against their cable-boxes, and new customers may give different complaints.  Smiley Wink

Service Expert

Re: XG1v4 Arris TV-box (UHD tv testing)

MNtundraRET wrote:

Comcast is only giving this new HDR / UHD (4k) cable-box to new Comcast customers currently. I think it would have made more sense to use those of us with 4K televisions currently with Comcast and members of the forum.

It seems rather stupid to be offering a 4K cable-box when there is no 4K or HDR programming to be watched using the cable-box (linear cable or over high-speed broad-band) right now.

My question to Comcast people here on the forum. Is there a renamed version of the Ultra HD Sampler app designed for certain Samsung and LG UHD televisions now available for watching HDR / 4K programs (beta mode) over the broadband (IPV) on this cable-box? That would seem to make sense nothing new has been added to the Ultra HD Sampler app in the last few months.

I suppose Comcast considers us old customers on the forum as being biased against their cable-boxes, and new customers may give different complaints.  Smiley Wink

the introduction of new equipment often follows the 'professional' installs only as they work out problems. As the 'new' boxes enter the supply chain they will be widely available. There is no 'new' content created but it is nice if you have the 4x HD option turned on for Netflix or the upcoming youtube interface so the available 4k content can be delivered to your TV via the X1 set top box. I would like to know from a user of the xg1v4 if the output can be set to passthrough (native).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

These are the resolution setting choices. Still learning the new box. Just got it yesterday. The tech set it on 2160P60HD originally, but I get a crisper picture using the 1080P60 setting on my LG4K tv.

20170802_174423[1].jpg
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

You will only need to set it to the 2160 when 4K content is available.  It's a shame that the box does not offer native resolution since from your observation your TV does a better job upscaling

Gold Problem Solver

Hank,

Try 2160p30.

Not all TVs can handle 2160p60.
Regular Contributor

All the 4K TVs that I am aware of can handle 4K at 60fps.  If his 4K TV could not handle 60FPS he would not get a picture.

Gold Problem Solver

All newer TVs can but many 4K TVs more than 3 years old can't. 2015 is when most TVs could support it.

How do you know what would display? Do you have the exact same combination of gear that Hank has?
Regular Contributor

Looking at the specs for the 2014 LG 4K TVs from the ones I viewed they also support 2160p60.  While I don't have the same combination as Hank I do know that if a TV cannot accept 2160p60 the picture will not look slightly worse. With a digital signal it will not display or be grossly distorted.  

Frequent Visitor

Just tried 1080P, 2160P30, and 2160P60 against each other on a new TV program. 2160P30 is the best of the 3 for me. I also purchased this TV last Christmas. It's a LG  webOS UH6090. The 4K content on netflix and youtube look awesome on it. Sure wish xfinity would hurry up and get the upgrade done to make better use of it. 

Regular Contributor

I am glad you got good results using 2160P30.  The only problem is when you upscale 720P60 content to 2160P30 you are loosing half of the content by elininating every other frame.  You may see this on fast moving content such as sports where things may look a bit blurry.

New Poster

Where is the IR window?  I'm having a lot of trouble getting the box to receive IR commands. I am aware that the XR11 remote works over RF, but I need to use IR. Please don't point me to the general thread for where the IR window is on boxes. This box is not yet listed on that thread. Currently, I'm only able to get IR to work if the IR emitter/remote is dead level directly in front of the box. Even a small misalignment and the box does not receive the signal. 

Service Expert

RandomPhilly wrote:

Where is the IR window?  I'm having a lot of trouble getting the box to receive IR commands. I am aware that the XR11 remote works over RF, but I need to use IR. Please don't point me to the general thread for where the IR window is on boxes. This box is not yet listed on that thread. Currently, I'm only able to get IR to work if the IR emitter/remote is dead level directly in front of the box. Even a small misalignment and the box does not receive the signal. 

if you connect wirelessly you will have aim anywhere and can even put the set top box out of sight.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Valued Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:
I saw that. Information is two years old. I was looking/hoping for more current information.

Cord hanging out of the remote would strongly suggest the pictured product is a prototype.

Remote doesn't seem like a prototype since it's featured in various sites looking exactly the same sans the cord. http://red-dot.de/pd/online-exhibition/work/?lang=en&code=41-05579-2017&y=2017&c=252&a=0

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/red-dot-award-recognizes-comcast-for-simple-elegant-prod...

http://www.multichannel.com/news/distribution/set-comcast-x1-products-net-design-awards/414098

New Poster

how do i hook up my sony surround sound to this box.

Regular Contributor

Older Xfinity DVR boxes had an optical output, but from the picture of this box, this box does not.   The ony way I can see to supply sound is through the HDMI cable which goes to to your set and the use the optical out or coax out on your TV to so your Sony surround sound box.  Hopefully this will give you the surround sound you previously had. 

Service Expert

cr15 wrote:

how do i hook up my sony surround sound to this box.

Your Sony user manual should have a diagram showing how to connect a set-top-box.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Re: xg4

it's not wireless although it is blue tooth capable (to pair to speakers and such)

New Poster

Re: xg4

It has a hard drive built in.

Frequent Visitor

Pretty ridiculous that HDMI is the only output.  Should at least have digital optical out. 

Hoping that there is a Samsung XG1v4 version.

Service Expert

comc25 wrote:

Pretty ridiculous that HDMI is the only output.  Should at least have digital optical out. 

Hoping that there is a Samsung XG1v4 version.

like other hardware technology, digital optical out is outmoded and the digital audio stream on HDMI is more advanced with more capability than optical. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Just swapped my old XG1 for an XG4 and it’s working great! Feels much snappier to me. Checked Netflix but no 4K content is popping up yet.
New Poster

I’m in Richmond, VA btw and they are available at the Xfinity Store.
Service Expert

Thanks for the report.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

yelvertonmark wrote:
Just swapped my old XG1 for an XG4 and it’s working great! Feels much snappier to me. Checked Netflix but no 4K content is popping up yet.

hi, did you mean to say Xg1v4 ?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

My local service center in Southern Maryland said they have them. Tried to make an appointment to swap mine but they said they were only giving them to new customer. Maybe if I stopped by a Comcast store I could swap mine out?

Service Expert

Chuck684 wrote:

My local service center in Southern Maryland said they have them. Tried to make an appointment to swap mine but they said they were only giving them to new customer. Maybe if I stopped by a Comcast store I could swap mine out?

is there a specific need filled by using the v4 at your location? do you have a rented modem/gateway from Comcast too with the latest version in the home?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

yelvertonmark wrote:

Snappier?

That would be great if it was really true but most likely just your imagination because it's new and new always seems better at least for a while Smiley Happy lol

New Poster

I also just swapped a older X1 box (fan was running very load) and got a XG1v4. I'll hook it up tonight and hopefully see an improvement. Box definitely looks nicer.

Contributor

Yesterday had one installed by tech nice box so far very sleek an moden so I may be the 2nd in nj to have it

Frequent Visitor

They didn't tell you it was install only? Xfinity Chat online told me there was an $80 fee for professional install'
Frequent Visitor

Did you specifically ask for it or was it offered?