New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

XG1v4 TV Box

Administrator
Administrator

XG1v4 TV Box

The Arris XG1v4 is an HD DVR device that supports HDR10, 4K, and Bluetooth 4.2 capability. (Note: HDR10 4K and Bluetooth will not be supported until later in 2017.) It will be available via professional installation only for new X1 customers, and regions can expect to continue using a mix of XG1s for new X1 installations. It works with the XR2, XR5, and XR11 remotes. This device is currently limited in availability.

Here are some FAQ’s

How does Bluetooth on the XG1v4 work?

• XG1v4 devices are equipped with Bluetooth antennas, which allow you to connect a Bluetooth device to stream audio. This feature is currently in Comcast Labs.

What Bluetooth devices are eligible?

• Currently, only Bluetooth speakers and headphones can be paired with your TV Box.

How many Bluetooth devices can be stored on the XG1v4?

• You can pair one Bluetooth device; however, your Bluetooth device can be paired to other equipment. For example, the XG1v4 will pair to a speaker, that’s also connected to a laptop. But, if you’ve already paired one device to the XG1v4, you cannot pair another.

Why isn’t a clock included on the XG1v4?

• The XG1v4 is the next generation video gateway. It features an updated industrial design that aligns with new X1 devices, like the Xi5, as well as future X1 devices.

Do I have to have a 4K TV to receive a XG1v4?

• Regions can expect to continue using a mix of XG1s for deployment.

Will I receive 4K content if I have a XG1v4?

• 4K content will not be available at launch. Expected availability of 4K content is later in 2017 through Netflix, and it will require Netflix on X1 (Premium Plan), a XG1v4 and a 4K TV. Later phases of 4K will include select XFINITY On Demand, Live TV and DVR content.

What will devices be named once connected?

• Device names and device types vary by manufacturer. For example, Bose Comfort 35 headset will appear as "Bose QuietComfort 35".

Can I request a XG1v4?

• Initially, XG1v4 devices will only be available to new X1 customers, installed on a professional installation basis only.

Features:

• Bluetooth, 4.2
  • Supports HDR10, 4K (Note: HDR10 and 4K will not be supported until later in 2017.)
  • Input/Output: HMDI Out, Ethernet
  • No component, No composite
  • No power/front panel button
  • No clock
  • Six Tuners/DVR: 500 GB Hard Drive
  • Supports XR2, XR5, XR11 remotes

Device Specifications:

Manufacturer: Arris

Model Number: AX014ANM; AX014ANC

Device Type: Digital Video Recorder

Device Dimensions: 10.63 in W x 6.34 in D x 1.18 in H

FrontFrontRearRear

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Please post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Regular Contributor

xg4

Is the xg4 4k or just a wireless version of the xg1.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: xg4

Andrew,

There is a picture of the Arris XG4 on the equipment comparison page. There is not enough information provided to know if it is 4K or hard drive capacity (if any)...

Official Employee

That's new, never heard any info about it. I was looking at the forum page (not updated) as opposed to the actual web page. If I hear what the specs are, I will pass it on. Actually an XG1V4
https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Service Expert

Looks like this needs an update:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-TV-Box-Comparison-DVR-vs-Non-DVR/m-p/2860183#M122626

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Gold Problem Solver

There is a Comcast service center right on my way to work. I will stop by today and see if anyone there knows anything about XG4.
Service Expert

ComcastAndrew wrote:
That's new, never heard any info about it. I was looking at the forum page (not updated) as opposed to the actual web page. If I hear what the specs are, I will pass it on. Actually an XG1V4
https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/

sure it is an xg1? it is about the size of a deck of cards. New dimensions posted. wonder if the drive is SSD.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Based on the small size and reduced capacity of Trick Play, my guess is this is a wireless, cloud storage only X1 DVR...
Regular Contributor

Yep there is, better known XG1V4.Its on the X1 equipment comparison chart as a xg4.But i did find out thats its cable wired no 4k.

Regular Contributor

XG4 (XG1v4) Launched

Accoring to https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/, a new XG4 (XG1v4) box is available in select markets. It looks like it may be a 4K DVR but it's a little unclear right now. The page says DVR but the buffer time is only 25 minutes which would imply it has an SD card and not a hard drive. The page also doesn't mention 4K or HDR but the FCC filing at least mentions 4K (see below). And if it does do HDR, the FCC filling doesn't mention HEVC support which would be needed. Lots of questions to be answered still unfortuantely.

From the FCC filing:

The Arris XG1v4 is an IP Video Gateway (next-gen, set-top technology) with 4K video capability. It is a 4K set-top with multiple 1 GHz tuners that support
both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 AVC services. The all-digital XG1v4 includes the latest audio and video output interfaces, including 4K HDMI video, Awardwinning
Dolby Digital Plus audio and Dolby Volume Leveling. With the included MoCA home networking, the XG1v4 provides the flexibility to serve as a
multimedia client for accessing content from other compatible devices at home. An embedded DOCSIS 2.0+ cable modem provides support for DSG and
downstream channel bonding.

Regular Contributor

Re: XG4 (XG1v4) Launched

So, how do we find what the "select" markets are that it is available in??

Frequent Visitor

I spoke to a customer service rep at my local service center (Houston). He informed me that the timeframe for the launch of the XG4 (XG1v4) is August after xFi rolls out.
Contributor

I already have XFi. I also live in one of the select markets for the Xi5. Hopefully I can trial this.
Service Expert

ik2k16 wrote:
I spoke to a customer service rep at my local service center (Houston). He informed me that the timeframe for the launch of the XG4 (XG1v4) is August after xFi rolls out.

I have a gateway that supports xFi in Houston and I have activated it.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/xfinity-xfi-overview/

"xFi is available to XFINITY Internet service customers with a compatible XFINITY xFi Wireless Gateway (make and model number Arris 1682G, Cisco 3941T or Arris TG3482G). To determine the type of Gateway you have, check the make and model information located on the bottom of your device or sign in to My Account and select Devices to view the make and model."

I don't see any need to replace my three XG1's with XG4's.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Robert,

I don't think we know enough facts about the v4 for anyone to conclude they do or don't need one.

I do not need any wireless cable boxes but if the v4 is actually a 4K device I will want to try one as soon as possible.

FYI, a customer service rep in suburban St. Paul, MN knew absolutely nothing about the v4 when I stopped by late last week.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

New X1 customers only? Those of us who have been paying Comcast $200/month for decades can't get one?

Nice... Really nice...
Regular Contributor

Is there a list of markets where this is available and is the support page correct or incorrect about the 25 minute puase time instead of 60 minutes like a non-4K DVR?

Gold Problem Solver

XR 15 remote? Any more info available?

Frequent Visitor

RickGr4 wrote:
New X1 customers only? Those of us who have been paying Comcast $200/month for decades can't get one?

Nice... Really nice...

Agree completely - that is a joke.  So the only people this is available to are those that come from any of their competitors who already offer 4K service.  That makes no sense. 

Problem Solver

Maybe the jokes on Comcast.

Those of us with UHD smart televisions really don't need Comcast at all to watch Netflix, You Tube, etc. I have DSL for broadband and can get any app I want for 4K since January 2016 on my Samsung television. I do not need or want a VCR cable-box.

They mention IP delivery. I wonder when they plan to deliver 4K over linear cable? That is all I want from Comcast. Maybe by that time they will come to their senses.

Gold Problem Solver

I already have four different sources for 4K Netflix (two Rokus, Sony 4K Blu-ray and the app built into my 4K TV). Three of them can do Dolby Digital +.

I care about this new box two main reasons: I want live TV in 4K and I want live TV with Dolby Digital + audio...

MNtundraRET wrote:

Maybe the jokes on Comcast.

Those of us with UHD smart televisions really don't need Comcast at all to watch Netflix, You Tube, etc. I have DSL for broadband and can get any app I want for 4K since January 2016 on my Samsung television. I do not need or want a VCR cable-box.

They mention IP delivery. I wonder when they plan to deliver 4K over linear cable? That is all I want from Comcast. Maybe by that time they will come to their senses.

New Poster

RickGr4 wrote:

XR 15 remote? Any more info available?

https://fccid.io/document.php?id=3199054

Gold Problem Solver

I saw that. Information is two years old. I was looking/hoping for more current information.

Cord hanging out of the remote would strongly suggest the pictured product is a prototype.
Regular Contributor

What's unfortunate here, is that us loyal customers who have stayed with Comcast for years as 4K has been rolled out on DirecTV and others, can't get a STB that will output 4K.  It doesn't surprise me that Comcast has messed this up.  I have been a Comcast customer for several years and have been waiting for a 4K capable STB but now my neighbor who has had DirecTV and decides to switch to Comcast gets a 4K STB before I do???  That is not right!

The question here about this box isn't if you need Netflix in order to get 4K, the question should be does this box have a capability to output an upconverted 4K signal?  Can I select in the Video Settings, like I do now to get 1080p or 1080i or 720p, to output 4K? I've been able to get 4K for years, it seems, on Netflix, Vudu, Amazon and other sources.  What I want is to be able to watch my standard Comcast lineup in 4K.  Simple! 

This is what Comcast needs to make available to their current customers who have been waiting, not just new subscribers.

Gold Problem Solver

To anyone that is hungry for 4K, I just bought a Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-ray player for less than $300. It offers 4K streaming and of course 4K/HDR Blu-ray playback. 4K/HDR movies are the best picture quality you can find right now and my new Sony also handles the latest audio formats including Atmos and DTS NeuralX

Might be the best $300 I have ever spent on an AV product...
Contributor

So I assume once it's in full launch we can have it installed!

Problem Solver

Don't assume anything with Comcast. Nothing has been stated about "self install".

Regular Contributor

It appears the XG1v4 does not have an optical output, so I assume if you do not have a receiver that is compliant with 4k and HDR specifications it would not be usable.

Gold Problem Solver

Most HDMI equipped receivers would work. But with older ones would not be able to handle 4K and especially HDR. 4K capable receivers came out roughly five years ago and HDR capable receivers came out roughly two years ago.

My "spare" receiver is a Marantz 7007 which is a 2012 model that has 4K capability but not HDR.
New Poster

HDCP 2.2 receivers only came out in 2014 which is required for 4K protected video.  Anything before that would only display unprotected 4K from a PC/game console.  Optical outs are a dying breed as receivers from 2006-on can decode Dolby Digital over HDMI.

Regular Contributor

If you had an older receiver you could have directly connected the HDMI to the TV and the optical output to the receiver with no loss in sound quality.  Some 2015 receivers have HDCP 2.2 (needed for secure 4K).  Even in 2016 many receivers sold either had limited or no HDCP 2.2 support.  Unlike HDMI 2.0a (needed for HDR which could possibly be added through a firmware update) HDCP 2.2 is a hardware feature which needs to be built into the receiver.

Gold Problem Solver

Not exactly true. HDMI audio (PCM) has less compression than 5.1 audio (bitstream) over a TOSLINK connection.
Regular Contributor

PCM

PCM is an uncompressed audio format, which means it will theoretically have the best overall sound quality, as no information has been removed to facilitate transmitting the signal. PCM is sent unencoded by the source, meaning the full, unpacked ‘instructions’ for what sounds to play are sent directly from the source to receiver, and then on to the speakers.

Unfortunately, this makes for a signal that is more difficult to transmit. No TV seems to be able to pass a 5.1 PCM signal through to a sound system, so sending a PCM signal to or from a TV will downgrade the signal to 2.1 (two speakers + one subwoofer), thus eliminating the extra channels necessary for surround sound.

PCM 5.1 can work with a receiver that supports the format, so if you want uncompressed sound, you’ll need to forego passing the audio through your TV, and instead output the sound directly from the source (one that outputs PCM 5.1) to the receiver. Note that only HDMI can transmit a 5.1 PCM signal. Digital optical is only capable of transmitting a 2.1 or 2.0 PCM signal.

From:  http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:
To anyone that is hungry for 4K, I just bought a Sony UBP-X800

Rick, How does that Sony compare to Samsung's UBD‑K8500?

CIAO!

Ed N.
Gold Problem Solver

I have never been a fan of the Samsung 8500. It seems to be built poorly and it feels flimsy. The Sony seems like a much more "solid" product.

egnlsn wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:
To anyone that is hungry for 4K, I just bought a Sony UBP-X800

Rick, How does that Sony compare to Samsung's UBD‑K8500?

Regular Contributor

Thanks!

CIAO!

Ed N.
Frequent Visitor

This is typical of Comcast, your better of leaving every few months and come back so you can get the newer equipment. Why would a giant like Comcast reward there existing customers, which they never have and never will. I've complained about special promotions for long term customers but only the new customers get the best deals.
Contributor

I'm in South Florida and have been having frequent drop outs with my current XG1v3, I'm currently sitting here watching on demand on my iPad because the box keeps dropping every few seconds despite me doing everything to fix it, I plan on visiting a service center tomorrow morning.. would the v4 be something I can request tomorrow? I'd like to get something new, that actually works. 

Gold Problem Solver

This new X1 box would have absolutely nothing to do with solving your issues.

If your cable TV service and your internet service are "dropping out" that means you need to have Comcast send a tech out to investigate wiring/signal/connection related issues.

pcmichael wrote:

I'm in South Florida and have been having frequent drop outs with my current XG1v3, I'm currently sitting here watching on demand on my iPad because the box keeps dropping every few seconds despite me doing everything to fix it, I plan on visiting a service center tomorrow morning.. would the v4 be something I can request tomorrow? I'd like to get something new, that actually works. 

Official Employee

pcmichael wrote:

The box isn't your problem, you have wiring and signal issues that need attention first.

Wiring-the boxes moca levels( how your boxes communicate) is below spec

Signal issues- your dvr is out of spec (downstream too low and high ICFR)

Unrelated to the X1 platform, your modem is barely in spec.

It's been quite awhile since a tech was out, I would suggest that before swapping any equipment.

Community Icon

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

ComcastAndrew wrote:

pcmichael wrote:

The box isn't your problem, you have wiring and signal issues that need attention first.

It's been quite awhile since a tech was out, I would suggest that before swapping any equipment.

Admittedly, we don't watch much TV on the DVR connected TV and everything on the two other TVs has been fine. Also, our wireless network seems to be fine? Can you help me locate the issues you are highlighting in the relevant configuration pages so I can see first hand and understand what you are mentioning? Also, what's the easiest way to get a tech here the quickest? Thank you

Gold Problem Solver

Call Comcast and ask them to send a tech out...

pcmichael wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

pcmichael wrote:

Admittedly, we don't watch much TV on the DVR connected TV and everything on the two other TVs has been fine. Also, our wireless network seems to be fine? Can you help me locate the issues you are highlighting in the relevant configuration pages so I can see first hand and understand what you are mentioning? Also, what's the easiest way to get a tech here the quickest? Thank you

Contributor

I'm not quite that dense, I should have said without calling. Obviously I got more feedback (unsolicited even) on my xfinity situation in my home by simply making my first post on this forum.. you would think if such technical information is available to a Comcast employee who just happened to see my post, then maybe Comcast should have already sent a tech to my house to fix the problems that were just mentioned? Clearly, me simply calling isn't going to pull up all the technical information this gentleman just saw and my "request for a tech" isn't going to carry much weight despite whatever technical information this gentleman just saw clearly warranting a tech to be out here yesterday... I was hoping there was a more efficient and effective way to get someone out here quicker.

Gold Problem Solver

It does not work that way. This is a primarily a user to user forum and Comcast does not generate automatic service visits from this forum. Comcast employees participate in this forum but on a casual basis.

You need to contact Comcast to generate your service visit (which you clearly need)...

pcmichael wrote:

I'm not quite that dense, I should have said without calling. Obviously I got more feedback (unsolicited even) on my xfinity situation in my home by simply making my first post on this forum.. you would think if such technical information is available to a Comcast employee who just happened to see my post, then maybe Comcast should have already sent a tech to my house to fix the problems that were just mentioned? Clearly, me simply calling isn't going to pull up all the technical information this gentleman just saw and my "request for a tech" isn't going to carry much weight despite whatever technical information this gentleman just saw clearly warranting a tech to be out here yesterday... I was hoping there was a more efficient and effective way to get someone out here quicker.

Contributor

It’s worth mentioning that I did in fact call Comcast and the representative I spoke to insisted the issue was my HDMI cable and was pretty unwilling to schedule a technician visit until I explained that one of Comcast’s very own employees was the one who in fact told me I should have a technician come and look at everything. I literally had to explain my posting to this forum and the exact response I got in order to convince her to schedule the visit and she told me I’d likely be charged for the visit and that it was not necessary, that according to the information she was able to see my signal and box were “in the green” and the issue had to be my HDMI cable.

Pretty much what I expected when calling in, which was the reason I was asking if there was a better way to schedule a technician visit; something that wouldn’t require the normal phone call to the call center and having to go through what I just went through.
Contributor

ComcastAndrew wrote:

pcmichael wrote:

Good afternoon Andrew,

Can you please check what you checked last night again and tell me if everything looks fine on your end? A technician just left and had to run a temporary line to increase the signal coming into the house. They plan on coming back in two days to finalize everything, but before they do that I would like to make sure everything is up to spec on both the X1 platform and the modem.

Thank you,
Michael

Problem Solver

PCMichael:

As you should see by now that Rick and the Comcast employee were correct about the cable problems, which happened to be outside your house. It should not cost you anything. Most X1 type of cable-boxes need a cleaner signal than older cable-boxes not designed for broadband use.

This post you first replied on was for the new cable-box for people who have a UHD (4K) televisions. It would not help those with other televisions. I assume they set you up with a X1 cable-box for HD televisions, and things are getting resolved okay by now.

Contributor

You’re correct. I also fit into the same boat the thread was originally started for, so I’m kind of piggybacking. Honestly, I’ve just been so busy with work/life we haven’t taken advantage of our 4K TV and I haven’t kept up with the developments in terms of 4K cable boxes... until last night when I got so upset I couldn’t watch a recorded episode of “The Profit” due to the drop outs that I decided to come online and look at which X1 DVR was now the latest; that’s when I found out the v4 was the latest and just so happens to also support 4K so I figured I’d ask/mention about swapping my v3 to try and solve one issue and help me out in another way at the same time.<br><br>So it appears by Saturday my wiring and everything will be finalized and at that time I’m also ask the technician to swap out the v3 for a v4 and go on my way. Not going to lie though, kind of disappointed that in the two years we’ve lived in this house and through Comcast coming out 2 times to do various things that no one mentioned the signal coming into the house was always borderline. Also beating myself up about not having taken care of the drop outs earlier. Oh well, it’s all here and there... at least it’s getting fixed now.
Problem Solver

Lot's of luck on getting the 4K box. If you actually get one let us know.

The big complaint on this post is that it is only for new customers.  

Contributor

I was told there are 70 available at my service center and I could swap my box for one.