Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

XG1v4 Storage Capacity

ANSWERED
New Poster

XG1v4 Storage Capacity

I spoke with Comcast tech support a few weeks ago and was told the new 4K X1 DVR box included 2 TB of storage.  After I received it the amount of storage appears to be the same as my previous X1 box.  Did a little checking and have confirmed the 4K box is only 500 GB.  How can I get more storage with any option from Comcast.

Note I also have a Directv Genie Whole Home system with multiple DVRs.  My total storage right now is 2.5 TB between the Genie and my other DVRs.  I want to drop Directv and go with Comast, but will not be able to make the move if I cannot get the storage I need.  I cannot continue paying for two services so will need to drop one of them soon.  Please help.

Accepted Solution

Re: XG1v4 Storage Capacity

hab3 wrote:

I spoke with Comcast tech support a few weeks ago and was told the new 4K X1 DVR box included 2 TB of storage.  After I received it the amount of storage appears to be the same as my previous X1 box.  Did a little checking and have confirmed the 4K box is only 500 GB.  How can I get more storage with any option from Comcast.

Note I also have a Directv Genie Whole Home system with multiple DVRs.  My total storage right now is 2.5 TB between the Genie and my other DVRs.  I want to drop Directv and go with Comast, but will not be able to make the move if I cannot get the storage I need.  I cannot continue paying for two services so will need to drop one of them soon.  Please help.

At this time, adding additional X1 DVRs is the only option to add additional storage

View answer in context
Official Employee

hab3 wrote:

At this time, adding additional X1 DVRs is the only option to add additional storage

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

WHY does Comcast limit the storage capacity on their X1 DVR? There are outputs on the unit. This is 2018 for crying out loud. Why sell a unit that has such puny capability to store shows? I travel a great deal and their only option for me is to look elsewhere for real service. X1 is lousy
Problem Solver

You got Direct tv and comcast in the same house? how does that work?

Problem Solver

@davegriffiths wrote:
WHY does Comcast limit the storage capacity on their X1 DVR? There are outputs on the unit. This is 2018 for crying out loud. Why sell a unit that has such puny capability to store shows? I travel a great deal and their only option for me is to look elsewhere for real service. X1 is lousy

Since Comcast has down-graded to 720p maximum on cable, they are going after more customers watching tv on smaller devices: smart-phones,I-pads, etc. Since most channels for premium services are now only 480p SD picture, or stretched for widescreen, 500 Gb is plenty of room. If your 30 days are up with Comcast, it's going to cost you something to break the contract.

Service Expert

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@davegriffiths wrote:

Since Comcast has down-graded to 720p maximum on cable, they are going after more customers watching tv on smaller devices: smart-phones,I-pads, etc. Since most channels for premium services are now only 480p SD picture, or stretched for widescreen, 500 Gb is plenty of room. If your 30 days are up with Comcast, it's going to cost you something to break the contract.

actually with sd being in mpeg2 and HD being in 720p mpeg4 they take the same amount of room (approximately). next upgrade to HEVC (nick name mpeg5 or mpegG) the HD will take 1/2 same space of an SD in mpeg2. and search google for quality comparison of interlaced 1080i vs 720p (not a downgrade).

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@davegriffiths wrote:

actually with sd being in mpeg2 and HD being in 720p mpeg4 they take the same amount of room (approximately). next upgrade to HEVC (nick name mpeg5 or mpegG) the HD will take 1/2 same space of an SD in mpeg2. and search google for quality comparison of interlaced 1080i vs 720p (not a downgrade).

Rusty:

It's too bad you do not live near me. I could show the differences on my television.The latest version of 'You Tube" allow changing the output of videos. If the current broadband speed is too low at a current location at start of video might choose a lower resolution. Changing the choice can force output to higher resolution. When 4K videos are viewed you would see a 4K box up on the title line of buffer page. If you should see a HD box instead, by selecting Options, and then 4K, opens a menu. listing shows: 2160p (4K); 1440p (2K); 1080P (Blue-Ray 1K); and the 720p (0.45K). By choosing different choices you can watch the same video shown in actual 4K, 2K, Blue-Ray, and 720p. The television would be upscaling to 4K starting with 2K and lower resolutions.

Wikapedia claims that 50% of the population might not see the difference between 2K upscaled to 4K versus real 4K signal on a 65 inch screen. This same test I mentioned above could be done on "4K HDR" test patterns found on You Tube.

Service Expert

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@davegriffiths wrote:

Rusty:

It's too bad you do not live near me. I could show the differences on my television.The latest version of 'You Tube" allow changing the output of videos. If the current broadband speed is too low at a current location at start of video might choose a lower resolution. Changing the choice can force output to higher resolution. When 4K videos are viewed you would see a 4K box up on the title line of buffer page. If you should see a HD box instead, by selecting Options, and then 4K, opens a menu. listing shows: 2160p (4K); 1440p (2K); 1080P (Blue-Ray 1K); and the 720p (0.45K). By choosing different choices you can watch the same video shown in actual 4K, 2K, Blue-Ray, and 720p. The television would be upscaling to 4K starting with 2K and lower resolutions.

Wikapedia claims that 50% of the population might not see the difference between 2K upscaled to 4K versus real 4K signal on a 65 inch screen. This same test I mentioned above could be done on "4K HDR" test patterns found on You Tube.

I was commenting on the OP's post of amount of disk storage used for recordings. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation