Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

XG1v4 HDMI-CEC Input Selection on 2017 LG OLED TV

Frequent Visitor

XG1v4 HDMI-CEC Input Selection on 2017 LG OLED TV

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for taking the time to read and help.

I have an XG1v4 box connected via HDMI1 to an LG OLED65B7A TV, and use an XR11 remote.  HDMI-CEC and LG Simplink are both active on the TV and input.  Here's my issue: When I try the LG codes on the XR11 I can only use limited TV power and volume function, I have to press all power twice, then I have to manually switch the input to HDMI1.

I have an Apple TV 4K plugged into HDMI2 on the same TV, when I power it on or off it automatically switches the TV input from the XG1v4 HDMI 1 to the HDMI2 signal it drives. 

Has anyone experienced this or found a way to fix it using the XR11 remote?  

Edited for title clarity.

Service Expert

Re: XR11 Power and Automatic Input Selection on 2017 LG OLED TV

Try all the codes.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/remotes/

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I've tried all of the LG codes, that isn't the issue.  Plenty of them work fine for All Power, Volume, Input, etc.  I can manually change the input without problem.  What I'm asking about is a setting in the remote or box programming that sends an automated signal via the box/remote back to the TV via HDMI-CEC / Simplink to automatically select the HDMI input the XG1v4 uses.

Apple TV can do it, plenty of universal remote solutions can, I am hoping the factory optioned X1 kit can as well but I haven't been able to find out how after weeks of reading these forums, AVS, LG help, etc.

Service Expert

@E9003 wrote:

I've tried all of the LG codes, that isn't the issue.  Plenty of them work fine for All Power, Volume, Input, etc.  I can manually change the input without problem.  What I'm asking about is a setting in the remote or box programming that sends an automated signal via the box/remote back to the TV via HDMI-CEC / Simplink to automatically select the HDMI input the XG1v4 uses.

Apple TV can do it, plenty of universal remote solutions can, I am hoping the factory optioned X1 kit can as well but I haven't been able to find out how after weeks of reading these forums, AVS, LG help, etc.

Don't understand what you are asking for.  Are you looking for a TV input button?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-to-know-xr11-remote

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

@RobertWy

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-to-know-xr11-remote

Don't understand what you are asking for.  Are you looking for a TV input button?

No, I'm looking HDMI-CEC function from the XG1v4 to the LG TV that automatically selects the correct HDMI input when "All Power" is pressed.  HDMI-CEC allows devices connected to your TV through HDMI ports to communicate back and forth with your TV.  The devices can have some control over the TV, and the TV can have some control over the devices. This means the XG1v4 STB can automatically change my TV’s input to it's own connection when I power it on.  This works with Chromecast, Apple TV, AV receivers, etc. it should be possible with the X1 set top boxes, but it's not working.

Background reading if you're new to HDMI-CEC:

https://www.howtogeek.com/207186/how-to-enable-hdmi-cec-on-your-tv-and-why-you-should/

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205225

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromecast/NcqXV5Ej2x8

Valued Contributor

I have a C7 and I have to manually select the correct LG Input for "Comcast"each time I turn it on via AllPower with the XR15 remote.

Frequent Visitor

I ran a few different setting tests with the labs feature - it sort of works. Unfortunately it sends a constant / repeated signal of "look at my input" to the TV. It will change the HDMI input to the X1 STB automatically on power up, but it continues to do so even when the box is powered down via preferences.  When a streaming device input is signaled to the TV X1 immediately takes it back and requires a manual input again. Hopefully they streamline it and find a way to roll it out for the cloud only boxes in standby/sleep mode that don't need constant HDMI out signal.

Regular Visitor

I have the same box with a LG oled tv. I found thru trial and error that by setting up the set top box in the LG inputs set up menu as a Cisco manufactured box all the controls work. I can now use the LG remote to control the functions on the XG1v4 box.

Regular Visitor

Does not work for me- tried to set my LG E6 remote to control a Cisco set top box and it does not work. The manufacturer of this box is Arris which does not show up as one with programmed codes in the LG remote set up menu. 

Official Employee

Hi @E9003. I can assist in researching the HDMI-CEC support issue you are encountering. I will have to do some research with our video experts to confirm, but for starters, please go into the Comcast Labs settings and confirm if the 'HDMI Link' setting is On? 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastJoeTru wrote:

Hi @E9003. I can assist in researching the HDMI-CEC support issue you are encountering. I will have to do some research with our video experts to confirm, but for starters, please go into the Comcast Labs settings and confirm if the 'HDMI Link' setting is On? 

Thank you,

Yes, I've confirmed the labs HDMI Link is on. I detailed my notes and experiments in this post:

I ran a few different setting tests with the labs feature - it sort of works. Unfortunately it sends a constant / repeated signal of "look at my input" to the TV. It will change the HDMI input to the X1 STB automatically on power up, but it continues to do so even when the box is powered down via preferences.  When a streaming device input is signaled to the TV X1 immediately takes it back and requires a manual input again. Hopefully they streamline it and find a way to roll it out for the cloud only boxes in standby/sleep mode that don't need constant HDMI out signal.

The HDMI-CEC function in labs today isn't coded properly, the key consumer advantage of HDMI-CEC is to automatically switch inputs between multiple devices on a single screen without the need of a universal remote or receiver.

Official Employee

@E9003. Thanks for providing this feedback. I provided this thread to our Video Engineering team who has been analyzing HMDI-CEC feature support within our boxes. Since Input switching via CEC is only in trials in our equipment, we will provide more information about this once we have an update. Thank you for your patience. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

I recently switched the HDMI- CEC setting to on in the Comcast Lab app on my 4K X1box. The input auto switching does not work. So if I was last watching the TVs built in Amazon or Netflix apps or a UHD blueray player when I turned off the TV and then start using the X1 remote it stays on the last input- when I switch to the X1 connected input a message pops up saying your X1 box has been asleep for x hours saving power- but there is no lag in box response and it awakens immediately. I think it’s a setting that has to be enabled in Comcast labs for the auto input to work. I have an LG OLED TV.
Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation