Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

X1 with S video output?

Frequent Visitor

X1 with S video output?

I have a Panasonic VHS DVD unit that I use to record TV broadcasts onto DVDs. The best video input that it has is S video. It also has composite video but recording with that produces poor results. It also has cable/rf in but recording with that on channel 3 produces poor results.

I traded by old Comcast box for an X1 box as I was tired of the Comcast box scheduling being erased by momentary power failures.

My X1 box has HDMI out that goes to the TV. It has rf/cable out that can go to the Panasonic box but that is not really usable for recording. It has composite out. The Xfinity agent I spoke with says that there are no X1 boxes with S video out. So I currently have no way to produce decent recordings.

Any ideas - other than getting an HDMI splitter and HDMI to S video adapter?

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 with S video output?

I have a similar issue as I use a PC as my TV with only composite and S-Video inputs and my building recently switched to X1. S-video quality is so much better than composite, I am surprised is was not more common given the difference.

I tried some cheap ($10) walmart adapters, but they could not work with the HDCP. There are some on Amazon for $30+ that should work, but I am not looking to spend that much to test it.

Please post if you find something.

Frequent Visitor

I too would have expected/appreciated some backwards compatibility with an S-Video out from the X-1 box. It was not to be so I had to do it the hard way.

I went to Amazon and bought two Olycism HDMI switches. They are bi-directional. 1:2 or 2:1. I connected the single connector ends together with a male-male HDMI adapter. The switches are $10.99 each and the male-male was about $5. So now I have a setup with two HDMI inputs on one end and two HDMI outputs on the other. I used a short HDMI cable from the X-1 box to one switch input. The other input is a wifi fire stick.

For the outputs, one longer cable goes the the TV HDMI. The other output is connected to a short HDMI cable and it goes to an E-More brand S-Video adapter that cost $31.99 on Amazon. From there an S-Video cable goes to my VCR/DVD player/recorder. So I can send either X-1 or fire stick to either the TV or to the S-Video adapter. I can make good quality recordings of programs. Very much better than the composite video. Mike that E-More adapter should work for you.  I hope this helps.

Service Expert

@mikebox121 wrote:

I have a similar issue as I use a PC as my TV with only composite and S-Video inputs and my building recently switched to X1. S-video quality is so much better than composite, I am surprised is was not more common given the difference.

I tried some cheap ($10) walmart adapters, but they could not work with the HDCP. There are some on Amazon for $30+ that should work, but I am not looking to spend that much to test it.

When X1 first came out, we warned everyone that the X1 system doesn't play nice with computer monitors.  But if you are referring to using a PC to watch your X1 channels with this website, then what I say doesn't apply. 

https://tv.xfinity.com/

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

@RobertWy wrote:

@mikebox121 wrote:

When X1 first came out, we warned everyone that the X1 system doesn't play nice with computer monitors.  But if you are referring to using a PC to watch your X1 channels with this website, then what I say doesn't apply. 

https://tv.xfinity.com/

Nor does X1 play nice with older TVs or other equipment lacking HDMI capability.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation