Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

X1 keeps freezing

New Poster

X1 keeps freezing

Got a x1 box.. Have always experienced screen freezing . lately its been every day. HBO stopped working out of nowhere and now my screen freezes everyday and I reboot and it comes back..what gives?
Service Expert

Re: X1 keeps freezing

TrueDirt13 wrote:
Got a x1 box.. Have always experienced screen freezing . lately its been every day. HBO stopped working out of nowhere and now my screen freezes everyday and I reboot and it comes back..what gives?

call 800-Comcast and select TV. ask the agent to run the Internal Troubleshooting Guide Einstein. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

I had freeze screen, can hear the sound, happened on most channels, use to freeze 3 time out of the month, bought high end HDMI cables st Fry's AR brand 15gbs 4K.
After I installed them a week passed, all of suddenly no more screen freeze since 2 months, I wonder if my DVR got a new firmware update?
Cyber turbo power desktop.Intel 4790k 4.0GHz.GPU-Gigabyte Geforce 1060 Windforce OC 6GB-Notebook dv6225us AMD Turion 64X2 2GB Go6150 GPU Vista Home Premuim
Service Expert

Extech wrote:
I had freeze screen, can hear the sound, happened on most channels, use to freeze 3 time out of the month, bought high end HDMI cables st Fry's AR brand 15gbs 4K.
After I installed them a week passed, all of suddenly no more screen freeze since 2 months, I wonder if my DVR got a new firmware update?

when you are next experienceing the problem, call 800-Comcast and select TV. ask the agent to run the Internal Troubleshooting Guide Einstein. 

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

I spoke to soon, today live tv Frozzed, now finally got to do my test to make sure it's Comcast fault and problem, I hit my LG C7P remote home screen, bingo, apps came up plainly visible, Frozed center of tv screen at a smaller size, showed the tv live program Frozed! This means it's not the tv, not my new high end 4K HDMI cables, it's COMCAST problem!
I have been following this problem for a few years. Comcast cure is reboot, and or swap out the DVR for a Arris DVR, I read that someone did all the above, a person did that, he said freezing problem came back. And we are paying for this service?
Cyber turbo power desktop.Intel 4790k 4.0GHz.GPU-Gigabyte Geforce 1060 Windforce OC 6GB-Notebook dv6225us AMD Turion 64X2 2GB Go6150 GPU Vista Home Premuim
Service Expert

Extech wrote:
I spoke to soon, today live tv Frozzed, now finally got to do my test to make sure it's Comcast fault and problem, I hit my LG C7P remote home screen, bingo, apps came up plainly visible, Frozed center of tv screen at a smaller size, showed the tv live program Frozed! This means it's not the tv, not my new high end 4K HDMI cables, it's COMCAST problem!
I have been following this problem for a few years. Comcast cure is reboot, and or swap out the DVR for a Arris DVR, I read that someone did all the above, a person did that, he said freezing problem came back. And we are paying for this service?

in the previous post "when you are next experienceing the problem, call 800-Comcast and select TV. ask the agent to run the Internal Troubleshooting Guide Einstein. ". did you follow that process?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Been there done that 4 times, we are on our 4th DVR with in 2 years.
Service Expert

Extech wrote:
Been there done that 4 times, we are on our 4th DVR with in 2 years.

what did the agent say about the results of the test?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Agents always say I have a good connection signal on there side and mine, or maybe you got to swap for another DVR, then I said, " and I'm paying for this service and you guys don't know what the problem is to fix the problem", then all agent tell me, since we have been with the Cable Company 1978, for your trouble we are giving you a free movie, a said big deal, then they say, thank you for choosing Comcast, and for be a loyal customer with us, have a great day. Really!
When a Tech comes to our house they don't know what the problem is they just suggest swapping out another DVR,
In other words they don't know what the problem is they just go through their routine book in front of them of disconnecting the DVR or send a signal to our DVR or swapping out another DVR, or sending a tech. out, which we've been there done that many times.
I went on the website with AT&T they have this problem too.
Service Expert

Extech wrote:
Agents always say I have a good connection signal on there side and mine, or maybe you got to swap for another DVR, then I said, " and I'm paying for this service and you guys don't know what the problem is to fix the problem", then all agent tell me, since we have been with the Cable Company 1978, for your trouble we are giving you a free movie, a said big deal, then they say, thank you for choosing Comcast, and for be a loyal customer with us, have a great day. Really!
When a Tech comes to our house they don't know what the problem is they just suggest swapping out another DVR,
In other words they don't know what the problem is they just go through their routine book in front of them of disconnecting the DVR or send a signal to our DVR or swapping out another DVR, or sending a tech. out, which we've been there done that many times.
I went on the website with AT&T they have this problem too.

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us. I would be happy to assist you from here. Can you verify your account information with me? I would need your phone number, full name, and service address. You can private message me by clicking my name and clicking private message.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Swapped out my X1 DVR few days ago, no problems so far.
Oh! called comcast after I swapped, ordered the new XG1v4 DVR, arrives late tomorrow UPS, no extra cost.
New Poster

This happens to my main dvr box or axillary box pretty much every other day. I reset and it is fine for a day or 2. Sometime it will work for about a week, but that is rare. It'sjust buggy software. Unfortunately, changing the box probably won't help. Both my boxes do the same thing. I have learned to live with the aggravation.

Service Expert

@smithclarksmith wrote:

This happens to my main dvr box or axillary box pretty much every other day. I reset and it is fine for a day or 2. Sometime it will work for about a week, but that is rare. It'sjust buggy software. Unfortunately, changing the box probably won't help. Both my boxes do the same thing. I have learned to live with the aggravation.

I'm not sure it is buggy software; we all have the same software and not everyone has these issues.  It is more likely an issue with the connection to the headend;  I had one where the problem was at the end of my street in the alley on a pole used by both Comcast and power company employees; somene stepped on a coax connection just enough to make an intermittent connection.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

If it is not buggy software, then why does it only happen when I press a button on the remote? It never happens while watching live TV (as long as I don't try to access the menu, etc.) or after I have started a DVD playback. It mostly happens when I enter the menu or when I start a DVD playback. Once the playback starts correctly, it is fine for the whole recording. I suppose when Windows freezes, it is a connection problem. No it is not. Something goes wrong with the X1 software and it hangs just like Windows. Good software would not require a reset just because the signal is lost. It should recover when the signal is restored. The only way to fix this is a hard reset. 

I have been in the software business for 20+ years. I have been in validation, development and now management. This is a classic software architecture issue.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation