Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

X1 for many TVs

Frequent Visitor

X1 for many TVs

We are thinking about switching to X1, but we have 8 TVs that would need cable boxes.

2 main DVR TVs that are connected to stereos/home theatre/custom remotes, etc.

4 other highly used DVR TVs without the stereo, etc.

2 TVs that just need basic service. (guest room and bar TV)

What is the best equipment to put on these TVs considering we have more boxes than comes with an X1 setup?

Please don't ask me to call customer service, because that never works.  Thanks!

Edited to add: We're in the Minneapolis market.

Expert

Re: X1 for many TVs

mnmom wrote:

We are thinking about switching to X1, but we have 8 TVs that would need cable boxes.

What is the best equipment to put on these TVs considering we have more boxes than comes with an X1 setup?

Please don't ask me to call customer service, because that never works.  Thanks!

WIth this set-up I would strongly urge you to visit a Comcast Service Center in your geographic location.  There are so many variables possible that you really should see the system and ask a Customer Service Rep direct questions for your install.

Service Center Locations can be found here:  http://customer.xfinity.com/service-center-locations

-=Ray=-

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Official Employee

mnmom wrote:

Just by going by what you posted, I would go with

2 X1 DVRs

4 Xi3 ( or depending on if your tv's are HD or not, and if pausing live tv is important or not, you might need a mix of RNG 150 and Xi3 boxes)

2 HD DTA's for basic service

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/

Expert

mnmom wrote:

hi, another customer here. Geek gave you best thing to do.

X1 is an anyroom entertainment system and a lot of equipment types are available.

DVRs have 6 tuners available to watch/record. The watching can be by multiple devices. (sometimes called a "Hub")

satellite boxes (not a DVR but can play back recordings and use an X1 DVR to record and watch live TV and on-demand).

the most common satellite box now being installed is the Xi3. A very small but powerful device.

there are 2 types of DTAs (digital transport adapters) that are not part of the X1 entertainment system that can play the basic channels (even HD) if connected via HDMI). The DTAs can not access the DVR content.

If you only need 6 (using 2 DTAs for the other 2) X1 connected devices, It sounds like 2 hubs and 4 Xi3's would serve your purpose. 

DVRs are retail approximately $20/month, The xi3 is $10/month.The DTA's might be free or under $5 each per month if your package includes them. There is an HD technology fee (usually $10/month) if you are not in an XD bundle. 

The Xi3's are able to use a DVR's tuner when available (not being used for recording). If in the list above all 4 Xi3s were being used to watch live TV you would still be able to record 8 channels at same time OR 6 channels while DVRs are watching live TV or on demand. DVR's and Xi3's do not use a tuner when viewing recorded content.

Most of the comcast footprint now has a feature called cloud DVR meaning that you can access your subscribed channels (most) on the smart devices/desktop and laptop computers in your home. The use of the cloud service does not use your local DVRs tuners at all. The iphone/ipad/android equipment have full free apps available.

Gold Problem Solver

I agree with Andrew here. Based on the information provided Andrew's suggestion should work well. HOWEVER I have two concerns here:

1. You can expect some push back from Comcast on having two X1 DVRs. Most Comcast employees the in Twin Cities area have been conditioned to think it is not possible but it is.

2. If you have two X1 DVRs, they will not be "private" or "independent". All X1 boxes in your house will be able to "see" all of the recordings stored on all X1 DVRs in the house. X1 DVRs "pool" and at this point it is the only option.

ComcastAndrew wrote:

mnmom wrote:

Just by going by what you posted, I would go with

2 X1 DVRs

4 Xi3 ( or depending on if your tv's are HD or not, and if pausing live tv is important or not, you might need a mix of RNG 150 and Xi3 boxes)

2 HD DTA's for basic service

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/

Frequent Visitor

Thank you! Can you tell me what the best models within the XG1 and Xi3 categories are? I want to make sure they give me the best equipment at the store. Heading there now.

Any reason to want a XG2?
Official Employee

Everyone has their own opinion/ needs. I would go with the V3 arris DVR unless you need component to your tv and then go with Pace. There is only one type of Xi3.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks! I now have two bags full of boxes to install. Yikes!

One Q - I have a bar with two Small TVs. Can they be run off one box? How? They are always tuned to the same channel.
Official Employee

You could if you are using coax out and use a 2 way splitter, and for composite. Not sure on HDMI and component. It might take some research on your end for what is out there
Valued Contributor

Frequent Visitor

Hate to say ( no I'm not ) but your better off switching to dish or dtv. And keeping the Internet trust me you'll thank me later if you do ! 

Expert
Moved:

Expert
Moved:

Official Employee

paws4mercy wrote:

Hate to say ( no I'm not ) but your better off switching to dish or dtv. And keeping the Internet trust me you'll thank me later if you do ! 

Paws4mercy

Are there issues that you need help with? I see you're an Internet only customer.

Frequent Visitor

This also answers my questions.  Thank you.