Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

X1 boxes/ native output/channel output resolution

Frequent Visitor

X1 boxes/ native output/channel output resolution

Ok.  The new x1 boxes only have choices for 1080p, 1080i, and 720p.

No more native mode like in the past.  

1.  Is there a service menu so you can output native channel resolution? meaning sd channels would go out at 480i, HD channels would go out at 1080i or 720p based on the channel.

2.  That brings me to the second question.  Do we know what channels still do 720p and which are 1080i?  or for that matter did I read a few on demmand ones are 1080p now?  

3.  I just want the box t odo as little as possible with the picture. Cause we know the scalers in these boxes are not up to the job.  Especially with deinterlacing of 1080i to 1080p.

A channel resolution list would be awesome! cause at least I can change the resolution on the fly if I choose to.

Thanks alot guys,

jim

Not that it matters really but I'm outputting to a Samsung 8000 LED and also a LG B series OLED

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 boxes/ native output/channel output resolution

I'm with you. I wish we had a native output so I can let my TV do the scaling.

Frequent Visitor

so do we know the output resolution of various HD channels or does it dif by region?

Regular Contributor

As far as I understand, that is set by the network, not by Comcast

jimim wrote:

so do we know the output resolution of various HD channels or does it dif by region?

Frequent Visitor

so then abc is still 720p and everythign else is 1080i?  anythign else 720p?

what about ondemmand?  are they all 1080i?

jim

Gold Problem Solver

For the most part, most broadcasts are 1080i with main exception being ABC and ESPN at 720p.

There are two schools of thought on this. Either use native which X1 boxes cannot do or set the source box to the highest resolution possible and let it scale. I have found with X1 that method probably provides better results.

Your mileage may vary.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks man. But I assume this will soon be changing once they start to roll out everything being converted to 720p?
Gold Problem Solver

Not sure what you mean. What's being converted to 720p. That's the lowest resolution HD offers and it been around for over a decade.
Frequent Visitor

I know I was searching on here today and saw there is a conversion to mpeg4 coming in areas and that they were going to be broadcasting in 720p vs 1080i now?
Regular Contributor

The MPEG4 conversion has nothing to do with the resolution

Expert

MrScott1 wrote:

The MPEG4 conversion has nothing to do with the resolution

If you have a non-CRT (flat screen) TV it takes whatever is supplied on the HDMI data stream and converts it to a TV-specific progressive format that is presented to you. The output of the set top box should be set to your TV's native best resolution that the set top box offers.

With the producers and networks now using (honoring) data stream flags in MPEG transmitted entertainment (AFD systems), more and more SD content appears nearly as HD without any need for TV or set top box 'zoom' features.

Gold Problem Solver

jimim wrote: I know I was searching on here today and saw there is a conversion to mpeg4 coming in areas and that they were going to be broadcasting in 720p vs 1080i now?

Employee ComcastTeds has said:

... As part of our ongoing work to improve and modernize the way we deliver HD channels, we are transitioning all of our HD streams to “progressive” format. We are making this change in conjunction with the transition to MPEG-4. This means that some channels that were delivered in 1080i will now be delivered in 720p60. ...

When, where, and especially why are all very unclear. See http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/1080i-channels-are-being-changed-to-720p60-channels/m-p/...

and especially message #5 in that thread.

Expert

It is against the law (FCC regulations) to deliver less detail (resolution) than what is actually broadcast for local channels. The exception to this is only allowed if the producer of the content allows the downgrade in writing and that downgrade is reviewable upon any complaint to the FCC. Any downgraded (1080 to 720 for example) could trigger an FCC review by any consumer complaint that could have huge financial penalties. I can't imagine that comcast would degrade service like that.

Frequent Visitor

Well this is why was said above and why I was talking about th n someone said mpeg has nothing to do with resolution but again above there it is stAted.

I decide dead to go out of the box at 1080i for now being most content is 1080i vs 720p. No way in heck I'm letting a cable box be responsible for deinterlacing.
Gold Problem Solver

I must agree with Rusty on this one.

Maybe Comcast Ted could jump in here and clarify this for us.
Regular Contributor

BruceW wrote:

jimim wrote: I know I was searching on here today and saw there is a conversion to mpeg4 coming in areas and that they were going to be broadcasting in 720p vs 1080i now?

... As part of our ongoing work to improve and modernize the way we deliver HD channels, we are transitioning all of our HD streams to “progressive” format. We are making this change in conjunction with the transition to MPEG-4. This means that some channels that were delivered in 1080i will now be delivered in 720p60. ...

When, where, and especially why are all very unclear. See http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/1080i-channels-are-being-changed-to-720p60-channels/m-p/...

This is interesting. When I stated MPEG 4 has nothing to do with resolution, I was speaking in generalities. I was not yet aware that Comcast was apparently intentionally downgrading resolution in addition to the MPEG4 conversion. If this is indeed the case, this is not acceptable to me, yet one more nail in the coffin for this provider in my household.

Expert

MrScott1 wrote:

BruceW wrote:

This is interesting. When I stated MPEG 4 has nothing to do with resolution, I was speaking in generalities. I was not yet aware that Comcast was apparently intentionally downgrading resolution in addition to the MPEG4 conversion. If this is indeed the case, this is not acceptable to me, yet one more nail in the coffin for this provider in my household.

I'm not sure why you believe changing from older mpeg2 to mpeg4 is downgrading? it is a method of encoding several data streams for transmission to us to view. The content provider (producers) create the content and provide it in the same format for distribution. It is costly in time/equipment to transcode the resolution 'down' and the point of mpeg4 conversion is to be able to handle the higher bit rate of the 4k (and other stream info like ATMOS) and later 8k and UHD. The file size for stored 4k is approximately the same as for the same program in 1080.

Regular Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

MrScott1 wrote:

BruceW wrote:

I'm not sure why you believe changing from older mpeg2 to mpeg4 is downgrading? it is a method of encoding several data streams for transmission to us to view. The content provider (producers) create the content and provide it in the same format for distribution. It is costly in time/equipment to transcode the resolution 'down' and the point of mpeg4 conversion is to be able to handle the higher bit rate of the 4k (and other stream info like ATMOS) and later 8k and UHD. The file size for stored 4k is approximately the same as for the same program in 1080.

That's not what I said. I'm referring to the statement that they are apparently downgrading 1080i signals to 720p in addition to the MPEG4 conversion. MPEG 4 is an upgrade, but degrading 1080i to 720p is a downgrade. Progressive scan alone does not make up for absolute loss of resolution, especially when we're talking 60"+ TVs

Expert

MrScott1 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

MrScott1 wrote:

BruceW wrote:

That's not what I said. I'm referring to the statement that they are apparently downgrading 1080i signals to 720p in addition to the MPEG4 conversion. MPEG 4 is an upgrade, but degrading 1080i to 720p is a downgrade. Progressive scan alone does not make up for absolute loss of resolution, especially when we're talking 60"+ TVs

The cable company (Comcast) is just setting the default to HD/720 but provides the interface to change setting to 1080i/p.  If you had an older or smaller TV it couild well have only 720 capability and if the set top box was putting out 1080 you woiuld not see a picture on the TV at all.

Gold Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote: ... The cable company (Comcast) is just setting the default to HD/720 but provides the interface to change setting to 1080i/p. ...

ComcastTeds didn't say "We're changing the default box output" Rusty. He said "We are transitioning all of our HD streams". That sure sounds to me like he's talking about the signal they supply to the box, not the box output.

Expert

the transistion is from mpeg2 to mpeg4 (and beyond) capability. Great thing about mpeg4 and comcast is the honoring of active area flags so that even in SD that an image can be shown to us on tv in full 16:9 or nearly no bars on left and right 14:9. This is a game changer for older material that is in 4:3 format and is great for newer content that was made in 16:9 but is currently letterboxed like a stamp on an HD TV.

Gold Problem Solver

If they are going to be "converting' or transcoding 1080i to 720p, why not convert everything to 1080p and call it a day?
Expert

the older and current smaller HDTV imports only go up to 720 yet are still HD. The default setting of 720 ensures that a new set top box will display on the screen.

Gold Problem Solver

Rusty,

You missed the point. I am very aware of the resolution issues with older TVs.

The X1 box will still have the ability to adjust the output resolution.............

What I am saying is they should send everything to the box 1080p and let the box handle it from there. Why drop 1080i to 720p? Bump everything to 1080p and send it out to the boxes that way. Let the box handle the resolution from there.

If Comcast is changing everything to progressive, why bother with 720?

Besides, how does Comcast plan to handle 4K and 8K going forward???

Expert

RickGr4 wrote:

Rusty,

The X1 box will still have the ability to adjust the output resolution.............

What I am saying is they should send everything to the box 1080p and let the box handle it from there. Why drop 1080i to 720p? Bump everything to 1080p and send it out to the boxes that way. Let the box handle the resolution from there.

why would comcast want to pre-process a live video stream? Maybe I'm missing something. The set top box can up/down convert and de-interlace however the TV will probably have the best de-interlacer and comb filters remove interlacing. alll flat panel LED TVs (don't know about plasma) take whatever is delivered and converts it to its own 'brand' of special format progressive images to display on the display panel. Currently all roadcast is 720P (never 720i in USA) and 1080i. Setting the cablebox to 720p as a default gets it working in the home. Setting it to default 1080i would not allow content to play on 720p TVs without knowing to do exit exit exit 720 setting procedure. 

mpeg2 to mpeg4 is like changing the envelope size/color/paper-quality as an analogy, as it does not change the picture content at all (there are added tech features in the control stream though like ATMOS and other meta data control streams). 

that's the reason comcast puts HD default as 720P

Expert

Rustyben wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

Rusty,

why would comcast want to pre-process a live video stream? Maybe I'm missing something. The set top box can up/down convert and de-interlace however the TV will probably have the best de-interlacer and comb filters remove interlacing. alll flat panel LED TVs (don't know about plasma) take whatever is delivered and converts it to its own 'brand' of special format progressive images to display on the display panel. Currently all roadcast is 720P (never 720i in USA) and 1080i. Setting the cablebox to 720p as a default gets it working in the home. Setting it to default 1080i would not allow content to play on 720p TVs without knowing to do exit exit exit 720 setting procedure. 

mpeg2 to mpeg4 is like changing the envelope size/color/paper-quality as an analogy, as it does not change the picture content at all (there are added tech features in the control stream though like ATMOS and other meta data control streams). 

that's the reason comcast puts HD default as 720P

Rusty,

Are you saying Comcast is NOT pre-processing ANY live video streams?  

Regular Contributor

I'm getting the impression Rusty is not quite grasping what we're (and Comcast) is saying here.

MPEGx is a compression and delivery standard. This is a totally separate subject. The link provided earlier in this thread is that Comcast is supposedly downgrading the source signal prior to delivery to us to 720p. For 1080 sources, this is an absolute loss of resolution.

New Poster

I am not happy with comcast downgrading most of its HD channels to 720p. I have an older HD box, which does allow me to go into the menu settings and have the box transmit "native" signals, including "1080p passthrough". I have noticed over the past few months how the picture quality has been getting worse. Finally, I realized I was no longer getting any premium channels sent to my box in 1080i, in fact they are all being downgraded to 720p and look pretty bad, when compared to how they used to look in 1080i. Ironically, those channels owned by Comcast (NBC), Comcast Sports Channels are still being transmitted in native 1080i. Weather channel and a couple of KQED channels are still native 1080i, however that's about it. Unless I am watching ESPN, which is natively sent out in 720p, the rest of my channels (seems like 85% or more), which used to be sent out in native 1080i, now look pretty bad. Meaning, at times they look only about 70% as good as native 720p channels.

I also agree with another commentor.... Using your cable box or even TV to upscale 720p to 1080i depletes the purpose. Upscaling does not provide better picture quality... On Top of that, upscaling a 720p signal, which is currently being downgraded by Comcast from 1080i, and then asking your TV or cable box to upscale the same signal (which is being downgraded) back to 1080i solves nothing! In fact it makes the picture quality even worse.

I would like to know if the FCC is aware of the fact that Comcast is downgrading its native 1080i signals to 720p???

I can confirm this is true after speaking to Comcast Reps and verifying the signals my cable box and TV are receiving.

Expert

nothappy19 wrote:

I am not happy with comcast downgrading most of its HD channels to 720p. I have an older HD box, which does allow me to go into the menu settings and have the box transmit "native" signals, including "1080p passthrough". I have noticed over the past few months how the picture quality has been getting worse. Finally, I realized I was no longer getting any premium channels sent to my box in 1080i, in fact they are all being downgraded to 720p and look pretty bad, when compared to how they used to look in 1080i. Ironically, those channels owned by Comcast (NBC), Comcast Sports Channels are still being transmitted in native 1080i. Weather channel and a couple of KQED channels are still native 1080i, however that's about it. Unless I am watching ESPN, which is natively sent out in 720p, the rest of my channels (seems like 85% or more), which used to be sent out in native 1080i, now look pretty bad. Meaning, at times they look only about 70% as good as native 720p channels.

I also agree with another commentor.... Using your cable box or even TV to upscale 720p to 1080i depletes the purpose. Upscaling does not provide better picture quality... On Top of that, upscaling a 720p signal, which is currently being downgraded by Comcast from 1080i, and then asking your TV or cable box to upscale the same signal (which is being downgraded) back to 1080i solves nothing! In fact it makes the picture quality even worse.

I would like to know if the FCC is aware of the fact that Comcast is downgrading its native 1080i signals to 720p???

I can confirm this is true after speaking to Comcast Reps and verifying the signals my cable box and TV are receiving.

Are you using a CRT (tube type display)? If not, the TV is taking what appears on the HDMI port and converting it to non-interlaced to display the picture data on your flat panel TV. If you have a flat panel TV, it will probably have the best conversion circuitry to convert 720p60 to the TV's panel's own internal format. Converting a 720p to 1080i that then must be de-interlaced will add distortion that was not in the original 720p60 signal you described.

New Poster

Rusty, thanks for the response and trying to help. However, I fully understand how it works. I have a top of the line flat panel TV, and some customers, like me, invest a lot of money in TV's for video and sound quality. I am fully up to speed with how everything works.

There is a big difference between actually viewing a broadcast in its "NATIVE" content vs viewing that same signal being upscaled/interlaced/upconverted by your TV or cable box, even if you have a top of the line TV like I have. Not sure if you ever had the opportunity to receive a cable box, which allowed you to watch broadcasts in their native signals? There is no comparison in signal quality. However, a lot of customers don't know the difference because they have not been educated on the matter. In addition, a lot of Comcast cable boxes do not have the ability to transmit "native signals" to one's TV.

As paying customers, we are supposed to be receiving TV broadcasts sent to our boxes in their native signal, whether or not a customer can tell the difference or not is not the point. Whether or not a customer can use their TV to interlace/upscale/upconvert 720p content to 1080p is not the point. Anyone, who has actually viewed "Native signals" vs upconversion of some kind, knows exactlly what I'm talking about.... there is no comparison in picture quality.

The signals are still being broadcasts by the TV stations in their "native" content, however once they hit certain Comcast servers, these signals are NOW being downgraded to 720p. So if the signal is native 720p, not that big of a deal, for the most part picture quality remains the same. However, downgrading a 1080i signal to 720p is a huge loss in video quality. Put it another way - if we were comparing sound qualities, it would be like comparing MP3 to CD quality music.

There are those customers, who will not notice the difference because they never watched an HD signal in its native signal. Many Comcast boxes do not have a "native" feature, and are just set to "1080i". I'm guessing that is what Comcast may be relying on - customers not knowing the difference..... However, for those of us that do know the difference and are aware of how "native" signals are supposed to be sent to its customers, will most likely be upset with the fact that we were not even notified of these changes in advance... I'll be digging deeper into this matter, and will post what I find out.

I was hoping somebody else may have already contacted the FCC or channels like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and Starz, to name a few, to find out if they were aware comcast was downgrading their "native" signals to 720p???

New Poster

I would also like to point out, I have a 1080p TV, and the degradation in video quality is VERY obvious, since Comcast servers started downgrading "Native" 1080i signals to 720p.

For anyone reading this blog, I just realized there is a newer blog on this forum titled, "COMCAST DOWNGRADING ALL 1080i HD CHANNELS to 720p" for more information on how bad the quality of Comcasts signals are now becoming due to the fact they're now downgrading signals. PLEASE REFER TO THIS NEWER BLOG TO BE FURTHER INFORMED ON WHAT I HAVE POSTED HERE IN THIS BLOG. Many posters in this newer blog know exactly what I'm talking about and have even posted very credible information based on their own experiences on how bad Comcast's signals have become... 

Terms like "MUDDY PICTURE" are often used! I can attest that the term "MUDDY PICTURE" is very accurate, when viewing comcast on my 1080p TV. I mean it is so bad, at first, I thought my TV was going bad after only a year and half. Then I thought it was my new receiver, or cables, etc. I ended up testing all of my equipment first to verify everything was working as it should, and finally realized the blame was all on Comcast for the poor picture quality I was receiving. What is even more frustating is that I made several calls to Comcast informing them I was no longer getting "Native" 1080i signals sent to my cable box and that picture quality was worse. No one could tell me why or knew anything about what I was talking about at first. It wasn't until I made more and more calls, and talked in person to Comcast Technicians did I learn of what was really going on. It is not my cable box and the newer cable boxes make no difference! This degradation in picture qualtiy all has to do with how Comcast has decided to all of the sudden downgrade our signals, and make changes within their servers to make more room for streaming and future 4k content. However, to provide true 4k content, infrastructure would need to be redone costing tons of money, which Comcast is trying to work around to save money. But, this work around is providing its current customers with terrible picture quality in 1080i content, and other features on their platform.

I hope Comcast understands, a lot of its customer base, was due to how they provided quality signals to their customers compared to other providers. Customers switching over to companies that provide streaming signals have been popular due to the fact they're all cheaper in costs than say a Comcast or Direct TV plan, and the lost in video quality out weigh the costs benefits. However, if Comcast thinks they can continue to charge a premium for HD signals, when they have been noticeably degrading signal quality to the point that they have, lots of customers will be leaving them......  I wish Comcast would just stick to what they did best in the past, which was to provide a quality video signal to its customers the same way the broadcasters intended the signal to be... cutting corners and still charging a premium to its customers will not last very long....

New Poster

Seems this topic got off the rails.  Basically to Comcast Employee:  Please put in the design teams suggestion box, that the X1 boxes have an autosense output at the channels resolution weather it is 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or the various 4k Options.  On the new X1-4K box, you can set it to to 4k but the problem is that if the source is 720p then it does the upscaling instead of the very expensive TV with all the cool tech you just read about and paid for.   This way as Comcast upgrades channel resolution, your box will just pass the better picture to the TV.  Nuff said.

Expert

@Jp540 wrote:

Seems this topic got off the rails.  Basically to Comcast Employee:  Please put in the design teams suggestion box, that the X1 boxes have an autosense output at the channels resolution weather it is 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or the various 4k Options.  On the new X1-4K box, you can set it to to 4k but the problem is that if the source is 720p then it does the upscaling instead of the very expensive TV with all the cool tech you just read about and paid for.   This way as Comcast upgrades channel resolution, your box will just pass the better picture to the TV.  Nuff said.

You might want to read this thread:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Conversion-to-720P-and-MPEG-4/m-p/2815899#M115738