members

online now

discussions

X1 Technical Issues

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 2301 of 2,340

Cody21 wrote:

SO I have something strange that seemed to crop up a couple of weeks ago. I'm running 1.75.06  ..  I press the Xfinity Button to get to the sub-menus. Then Arrow to get to SAVED (or any of the selections),  go to SAVED to see what I have recorded, press OK.  Everything I press are SLOOOOOOW (Delayed). I can literally see the selected items almost display1 by 1 on the screen. If I get impatient and press the arrow too many times, the result will buffer my selections, and painfully advance to where I last pressed it.  I have to perform a RESTART of the X1 to fix this issue - and in fact it is fine after a restart for a few days.  But every few days I have to RESTART the box.  Anyone else seeing this?

I haven't noticed anything new, but I've had this type of behavior intermittently since X1 was installed.  For both saved on DVR and guide listings.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2302 of 2,340

I'm disapointed that Comcast did not respond to my question. I also noticed that when tctc posed his similar question a few weeks earlier, the Comcast responses seemed to abruptly end without further comment.

That suggests to me that this is a known issue that is being swept under the rug, hoping people won't question it. I got a similar response from the in-store clerk when I replaced my X1 box for a new one, before I posted my question here on the forum.

As an electrical engineer, I suspect that this is a deliberate software change to extend the life of the continually-rewritten flash memory, but that is no excuse for trying to hide this from long-time customers. Comcast touted/marketed the X1 system as being able to rewind live TV, but they have apparently quietly disabled that capability.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2303 of 2,340

FWIW I had my first incidence of the 'buffer reset' on an xg2. I had been running a test daily (overnight) by putting on a channel and then checking it in the morning. It seems that the 'reboot' overnight causes the buffer to be in the off position until and unless you do 'something'. I hit the OK button and the buffer begins to record. It appears to be a firmware issue for the xg2. I have not seen this problem at all on the 3 Xg1 DVRs I use.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2304 of 2,340

RustyBen, it's not related to the reboot, as it also happens during the day. (I'll have to check one of these mornings, but I suspect the buffer would actually be recording after the ereboot.)  It's also consistent and occurs after a few hours of not changing channels, or other interactions. It has all the symptoms of being a sleep-mode, and that's why I think it is deliberate.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 2305 of 2,340

I have a fun new bug.  For the last 2 nights, each time I tune to a different channel, it plays for approx. 10 seconds, then it goes black and re-tunes to the channle again.

Happens on my main DVR, not sure about my other boxes...

Anyone else seen anything similar?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 2306 of 2,340
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 2307 of 2,340

lightstorm22 wrote:
Yep.

Hah, well I can tell you that it's not happening because they rolled out a fix to the delete bug, since that's still there...

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 2308 of 2,340

tctc wrote:

Cody21 wrote:

SO I have something strange that seemed to crop up a couple of weeks ago. I'm running 1.75.06  ..  I press the Xfinity Button to get to the sub-menus. Then Arrow to get to SAVED (or any of the selections),  go to SAVED to see what I have recorded, press OK.  Everything I press are SLOOOOOOW (Delayed). I can literally see the selected items almost display1 by 1 on the screen. If I get impatient and press the arrow too many times, the result will buffer my selections, and painfully advance to where I last pressed it.  I have to perform a RESTART of the X1 to fix this issue - and in fact it is fine after a restart for a few days.  But every few days I have to RESTART the box.  Anyone else seeing this?

I haven't noticed anything new, but I've had this type of behavior intermittently since X1 was installed.  For both saved on DVR and guide listings.

Have not seen the issue anymore, kock on wood.  Seemed to have stopped about 4 days ago. I *DO* notice that an UPDATE was sent out & installed.  1.76.02  06/16/2017

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 2309 of 2,340

Cody21 wrote:

tctc wrote:

Cody21 wrote:

Have not seen the issue anymore, kock on wood.  Seemed to have stopped about 4 days ago. I *DO* notice that an UPDATE was sent out & installed.  1.76.02  06/16/2017

Your delete bug is gone?

I think this new bug may be realated to the buffer bug that I had been talking to Ken about.  Last night it was happening off and on throuhgout and it seems to be purposefully clearing the buffer by retuning.  Now on main dvr boxes at various times, whereas before it was only on first tv turn on for satellite boxes.

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 2310 of 2,340

Your delete bug is gone?

I think this new bug may be realated to the buffer bug that I had been talking to Ken about.  Last night it was happening off and on throuhgout and it seems to be purposefully clearing the buffer by retuning.  Now on main dvr boxes at various times, whereas before it was only on first tv turn on for satellite boxes.
===========

tctc, If you mean the 'lack of ability to delete' bug its alive and well at my house. Nothing has changed at all.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 2311 of 2,340

TerriB wrote:

Your delete bug is gone?

===========

tctc, If you mean the 'lack of ability to delete' bug its alive and well at my house. Nothing has changed at all.

As is mine.    Was wondering if Cody21s delete bug is gone.  Or if he was having "re-tune" issues, and that is gone.

I still have both in Northern CA.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2312 of 2,340

I'm not normally in the same room as the settop box (2 TVs on box), but this morning I was. About 3 to 4 hours after the nightly reboot, I happened to notice the blue light on the box begin to flash a couple times. Then the box did its typical re-tune and clear the buffer. I pressed the "OK" button, and it retuned again and started the buffer.

This tells me that it's not a bug, but a deliberate function of the box.

Comcast's abrupt silence on this is a glaring testament for the contempt they have for their customer base. They heavily marketed the X1 system as being able to rewind live TV, but quietly took that capability away. Deliberately trying to hide that is reprehensible. It's a slap in the face and screams, "we don't care about our customers!"

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 2313 of 2,340

tctc wrote:

TerriB wrote:

Your delete bug is gone?

===========

As is mine.    Was wondering if Cody21s delete bug is gone.  Or if he was having "re-tune" issues, and that is gone.

I still have both in Northern CA.

I have not had the retune issue but can hardly get any program to delete 'on command' here in Virginia. Its really gettting OLD isn't it?

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 2314 of 2,340

PowerTool wrote:

I'm not normally in the same room as the settop box (2 TVs on box), but this morning I was. About 3 to 4 hours after the nightly reboot, I happened to notice the blue light on the box begin to flash a couple times. Then the box did its typical re-tune and clear the buffer. I pressed the "OK" button, and it retuned again and started the buffer.

This tells me that it's not a bug, but a deliberate function of the box.

Comcast's abrupt silence on this is a glaring testament for the contempt they have for their customer base. They heavily marketed the X1 system as being able to rewind live TV, but quietly took that capability away. Deliberately trying to hide that is reprehensible. It's a slap in the face and screams, "we don't care about our customers!"

And now that they have left X1 to go to seed and us with it they are pushing Xfinity Mobile. Not a chance in 'you know what' that I would touch that service.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2315 of 2,340

TerriB wrote:

And now that they have left X1 to go to seed and us with it they are pushing Xfinity Mobile. Not a chance in 'you know what' that I would touch that service.

Don't even get me started on the incompetance of their software engineers. Why would you need a screensaver, when you already have the channel tuned and playing in the background (sound and picture-inpicture), and could simply drop out of the menu back to that TV channel?

If you have a show reminder coming up and you pre-tune to that channel 1-minute early, why do they still blank out the screen for a reminder for a show you're already watching?

In the movie guide display, at 1-minute before the half-hour, why do they throw all of the currently starting movies into the same listing as movies that have already been running? In order to see what movies are starting, you have to make sure to enter the movie guide at least 2 minutes before the half-hour mark.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 2316 of 2,340

RobertWy wrote:

You didn't say what TV you have.  I turned off AnyNet (HDMI-CEC) on my Samsung 3D LED TV to help with HDMI handshake issues.  Reading this thread may also help.  

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/X1-Audio-How-does-it-work-and-what-should-I-expect/m-p/2400405#U2400...

My problem was the HDMI ports on the TV. They were on the way out and i eventually found out. Replaced TV and all has been great for 4 months. happy dayz

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 2317 of 2,340

tctc wrote:

Cody21 wrote:

tctc wrote:

Cody21 wrote:

Your delete bug is gone?

To be clear : the Intermittent "Doesn't Delete" bug is still there.  That is, I delete something after watching, and the program will remain, as "watched", for a day.

The "Latency" issue of the Menus remains - is intermittent. When it gets frustratingly annoying, we RESTART the X1 box which usually clears the issue for 1-2-3 days.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 2318 of 2,340

Cody21 wrote:

tctc wrote:

Cody21 wrote:

tctc wrote:

Cody21 wrote:

Your delete bug is gone?

I think this new bug may be related to the buffer bug that I had been talking to Ken about.  Last night it was happening off and on throughout and it seems to be purposefully clearing the buffer by retuning.  Now on main dvr boxes at various times, whereas before it was only on first tv turn on for satellite boxes.

To be clear : the Intermittent "Doesn't Delete" bug is still there.  That is, I delete something after watching, and the program will remain, as "watched", for a day.

The "Latency" issue of the Menus remains - is intermittent. When it gets frustratingly annoying, we RESTART the X1 box which usually clears the issue for 1-2-3 days.

I have been getting a Rolling, scrolling of the recording's listing after deleting a show lately. It doesn't happen all the time but it is really irritating when it does occur.

After all this time we are still seeing problems that are connected to Comcast's Cloud based programming of the box, with most software on the box but requiring constant cloud communication to function. They have had years now to fix it but still have not  done the job.. UGH !

Posted by
Contributor

Message 2319 of 2,340

Powertool:  Just saw your problems.  I've had this for months now and it really bugs me.  It isn't on my main DVR box, just on the companion boxes.  I posted a seperate thread on this (http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Companion-Box-XiD-P-rewind-buffer-reset-problems/td-p/2920314)  and apparently it happens with more than one type of companion box.  Hope this is corrected.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 2320 of 2,340

Was X1 somehow affected by the latest cyber attack?

I had my main DVR box just go black last night.

Also had horrible performance for a while, helped a little to reset.

I have a video of where it took 30 seconds just to bring up Series Info and fully fill out all the screen assets.

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 2321 of 2,340

tctc wrote:

Was X1 somehow affected by the latest cyber attack?

I had my main DVR box just go black last night.

Also had horrible performance for a while, helped a little to reset.

I have a video of where it took 30 seconds just to bring up Series Info and fully fill out all the screen assets.

Oh Lord I hope not! Here in Virginia nothing unusual happened last night or today...fingers crossed.

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 2322 of 2,340

While watching Jimmy Kimmel onDemand, the audio is completely out of sync. Any idea how to fix this? Anyone else experience this with Kimmel onDemand?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2323 of 2,340

adammusic22 wrote:

While watching Jimmy Kimmel onDemand, the audio is completely out of sync. Any idea how to fix this? Anyone else experience this with Kimmel onDemand?

I just watched first few minutes of the latest (had a Game of Thrones guest) and it had no sync issues on my X1 set top box.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 2324 of 2,340
Can somebody fix this closed captioning glitch? It's distracting. Changing the background to transparent will fix, but translucent background allows for easier reading.
image.jpeg
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 2325 of 2,340

The "re-tune" bug seems to be gone, but replaced by one that's even worse.  Now instead of re-tuning right away, it just doesn't capture the buffer at all until you attempt to access it.  So you don't just miss the opportunity to rewind into something right away, but you also lose that ability much later, unless you remember to try to access it right away every time.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2326 of 2,340

adammusic22 wrote:
Can somebody fix this closed captioning glitch? It's distracting. Changing the background to transparent will fix, but translucent background allows for easier reading.

blame a human for that orphan pop-on box as it is part of 708 digital captions. The lines before that had settings that said how long a pop-on box will stay displayed if scroll of new boxes does not destroy (erase) it. It is more likely that an engineer is in process of changing from one digital feed via a 'face' (a to b) and began but didn't 'continue' the swipe to b at that moment. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2327 of 2,340

tctc wrote:

The "re-tune" bug seems to be gone, but replaced by one that's even worse.  Now instead of re-tuning right away, it just doesn't capture the buffer at all until you attempt to access it.  So you don't just miss the opportunity to rewind into something right away, but you also lose that ability much later, unless you remember to try to access it right away every time.

my experience is only for an Xg2 and does what you describe as 'now' however I suspect it is the same issue as the problem remains for me in that when I attempt to hit 15 second 'backup' the screen blinks and then the progress bar thermometer appears with no buffer at all. That 'blink' is what I took to be a retune to same channel and then the buffer begins recording again. From my observation it is intermittent, and only happens for the first use after overnight system reboot. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2328 of 2,340

Rustyben wrote:

tctc wrote:

my experience is only for an Xg2 and does what you describe as 'now' however I suspect it is the same issue as the problem remains for me in that when I attempt to hit 15 second 'backup' the screen blinks and then the progress bar thermometer appears with no buffer at all. That 'blink' is what I took to be a retune to same channel and then the buffer begins recording again. From my observation it is intermittent, and only happens for the first use after overnight system reboot. 

It's not a bug. It's deliberate, and that is why Comcast won't acknowledge it. And because it is deliberate, it puts them in jepordy of a false advertising allegation, when they sold the system based on the ability to rewind live TV.

I work from home, and leave the TV running on a channel for background noise...like a news channel or some marathon TV show. If you do not interact with the settop box for 3 hours, it will retune and clear the buffer. Pressing any button to interact with the settop box will cause it to retune again, and begin recording to the buffer. (I also have the standard XG2 box with no DVR function.)

The reason I suspect why it does a retune, is that one or more of the tuners is setup to not use the buffer. So it tunes to the channel using that tuner when Comcast doesn't want to use the buffer. When you "wake it up" by pressing any button, it reverts to the tuner that is seyup to record to the buffer.

As with everything Comcast does, it is purely money-related. They don't want to have to replace flash memory due to excessive write-cycles.

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 2329 of 2,340
New ui issue :

Speaking into voice remote : "Baltimore Orioles", brings up team stats. then pressing OK used to bring you into the Orioles listings. Now , pressing OK goes to the live game. BUT it tunes to the regular extra innings SD game. PLEASE MAKE A VOICE COMMAND TO TUNE DIRECTLY TO THE ORIOLES MLB HD BETA CHANNEL.

Now i have to type baltimore orioles to get into the orioles listing then go down to the hd beta channel.

The initial team stats are a bad idea. Those should be accessible by saying "Baltimore Orioles Stats", not just by saying the team name.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2330 of 2,340

adammusic22 wrote:
New ui issue :

Speaking into voice remote : "Baltimore Orioles", brings up team stats. then pressing OK used to bring you into the Orioles listings. Now , pressing OK goes to the live game. BUT it tunes to the regular extra innings SD game. PLEASE MAKE A VOICE COMMAND TO TUNE DIRECTLY TO THE ORIOLES MLB HD BETA CHANNEL.

Now i have to type baltimore orioles to get into the orioles listing then go down to the hd beta channel.

The initial team stats are a bad idea. Those should be accessible by saying "Baltimore Orioles Stats", not just by saying the team name.

do you have your Xfinity button > Preferences > General > Auto-Tune to HD channels set to "ON"?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 2331 of 2,340
Yes of course.

But that doesnt auto tune from the regular the SD extra innings channels to the standalaone specific team hd beta channel.

It would tune to the hd channel if my game was on one of the two regular extra innings channels. But even then, its not guaranteed to be my teams announcers.

Which is what the hd beta team channel is for. Always hd, always orioles announcers.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 2332 of 2,340

tctc wrote:

I have a fun new bug.  For the last 2 nights, each time I tune to a different channel, it plays for approx. 10 seconds, then it goes black and re-tunes to the channle again.

Happens on my main DVR, not sure about my other boxes...

Anyone else seen anything similar?

tctc,

Thank you for posting this. I have been having exactly the same problem for over four weeks. When I called Comcast they said they never heard of that before. Numerous resets and refresh attempts will not clear it up. They wanted me to go to the store and get a new remote. I have three in the house and tried that too. Now to convince my spouse that I really wasn't seeing things!! This is on the main HD dvr box. On the remote additional boxes, when you select the "guide" the sound will cut off for about 2 seconds and then work again. What is up with this??

Posted by
New Poster

Message 2333 of 2,340
We have problems multiple times a day! My husband is getting upset! We pay over $200 a month for hassles!!
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 2334 of 2,340

Yes it's happening constantly. Quite irritating. I also have an issue when I am watching the DVR and it asks if I want to watch the next available show in that series and after I say yes it starts but then goes back to live TV. 

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 2335 of 2,340
Will ghost recordings evet get fixed?

What seems to be the problem that its not fixed and remains an issue?
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 2336 of 2,340

I know this is old, but I just found out today that the X1 system reboots everyday you can go into settings and change the time maybe yours is set for 8pm every night. I wasn't aware of this till a tech told me and I went into my settings to change my time to 3-4 in the am. Good luck

driveway2 wrote:

So Comcast has evidently decided to go ahead and schedule malfunctions each Wednesday night around 8:00 pm EST.  This is the THIRD Wednesday night in a row that at 8:00 our main X1 box stops working.  Won't do a thing.  Can't even turn it off.  Have to pull the plug for at least 10 minutes and then hope that you only have to do it once.  So, anything we have set to tape at 8:00 on Wednesdays is toast.  Takes about a half hour to get it rest and running again.  Thanks, Comcast.  Tell me again why I'm paying you $200 a month?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 2337 of 2,340

adammusic22 wrote:
Will ghost recordings evet get fixed?

What seems to be the problem that its not fixed and remains an issue?

I assume the problem is Comcasts priorities.

I had the "re-tune" bug going for every channel I tuned to all day long on Sunday, that was fun.

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 2338 of 2,340

nicki777 wrote:

I know this is old, but I just found out today that the X1 system reboots everyday you can go into settings and change the time maybe yours is set for 8pm every night. I wasn't aware of this till a tech told me and I went into my settings to change my time to 3-4 in the am. Good luck

driveway2 wrote:

So Comcast has evidently decided to go ahead and schedule malfunctions each Wednesday night around 8:00 pm EST.  This is the THIRD Wednesday night in a row that at 8:00 our main X1 box stops working.  Won't do a thing.  Can't even turn it off.  Have to pull the plug for at least 10 minutes and then hope that you only have to do it once.  So, anything we have set to tape at 8:00 on Wednesdays is toast.  Takes about a half hour to get it rest and running again.  Thanks, Comcast.  Tell me again why I'm paying you $200 a month?

I have mine set for 'necessary' reboot in the middle of the night but just yesterday it rebooted mid morning and this has happened before. This morning I saw something new , a beige window appeared and live tv was interrupted......."performing routine maintenance". It didn't completely reboot but never saw that message before.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 2339 of 2,340

I have an ongoing (but intermittant) issue with my X1 DVR where (more often than not) if I try to watch a show that is being recorded AS it is being recorded (on delay), it plays fine for a few minutes...and then starts lagging, skipping, having audio issues, freezing and unfreezing...ultimately making it difficult to watch. If I hit pause it will often take ten seconds to actually pause...then if I let it sit for a bit, it will play fine when I unpause the program, but only for a few minutes...and then it will start freezing and having issues again.

Sometimes this also happens when I simply try to watch live TV while the DVR is recording something.

If I try to watch the program after it has completely finished recording, I will randomly have that same freezing/lagging issue at playback...but only that night. If I then try to watch again the next day...it is usually fine. In short, however...I can no longer count on watching any television programs live or delayed the night they air. Help?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2340 of 2,340

Tabulator wrote:

I have an ongoing (but intermittant) issue with my X1 DVR where (more often than not) if I try to watch a show that is being recorded AS it is being recorded (on delay), it plays fine for a few minutes...and then starts lagging, skipping, having audio issues, freezing and unfreezing...ultimately making it difficult to watch. If I hit pause it will often take ten seconds to actually pause...then if I let it sit for a bit, it will play fine when I unpause the program, but only for a few minutes...and then it will start freezing and having issues again.

Sometimes this also happens when I simply try to watch live TV while the DVR is recording something.

If I try to watch the program after it has completely finished recording, I will randomly have that same freezing/lagging issue at playback...but only that night. If I then try to watch again the next day...it is usually fine. In short, however...I can no longer count on watching any television programs live or delayed the night they air. Help?

If you only have one DVR and you are watching the episode on the DVR that is actually recording, it sounds like your hard drive is bad.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon