New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

X1 Technical Issues

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 101 of 2,315

I understand and I was simply trying to help. But I also ask you to understand that until recently a new poster in this forum had a very poor chance (less than 5%) of getting a response a Comcast employee. Comcast responding to posters in this forum is something that has changed in the past few weeks. Irma is brand new and appears to the first person from Comcast that has access to appointment scheduling.

I think it is time that Comcast produce a policy statement in regards to this forum and provide rules that detail how a customer posting in this forum can assure themselves of an appropriate response.

raffenet wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

Any refunds are between you and Comcast. Nobody here can help you with this. If there is a signal related issue, it depends upon if it is inside or outside of your house. You need to call in and state your case.

Yes you should be able to go into a Comcast store and exchange for a legacy box. Just be aware, if you have a new signal related issue that could effect a legacy box as well...

I appreciate you're trying to be helpful. My primary goal here was hear from official Comcast support (who replied to my original post) and let them know how bad the customer service has been so far with my subscription. My installation tech missed our appointment window, and did such a poor job that I apparently need another visit just to have functioning service. And that is in addition to all the hours spent on the phone trying to find someone knowledgeable enough to know how to schedule an installation at my building. It's not like high-rise apartment buildings are uncommon in my city.

Posted by
Admin1

Message 102 of 2,315

Your appointment has been confirmed for Friday 10/17/14 between 8-10 AM.   Please keep me posted after tech's visit.

Thanks, 

Comcast Irma 

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 103 of 2,315

We have one main x1 DVR, and two smaller boxes in other rooms. In one room, the smaller box works perfectly, in the other room, the box offten says "Cannot connect to DVR, please make sure it is turned on", even though I can see the recordings listed on screen...."I know its turned on, people are watching THAT tv, thats why I'm in this room..." is what I usually say out loud.

Sometimes, resetting the box (unplug, wait, plug back in) works....but often that does not work and I'm forced to not watch what I wanted and find something on live TV.

As of yesterday, now its saying that there is no DVR, it doesnt show any of the recordings, and the remote will only work if I hold it 2 inches from the box (I already replaced the batteries in the remote so that isnt the issue).

Is this a faulty box?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 104 of 2,315

We have one main X1 DVR, and two smaller boxes in other rooms. In one room, the smaller box works perfectly, in the other room, the box offten says "Cannot connect to DVR, please make sure it is turned on", even though I can see the recordings listed on screen...."I know its turned on, people are watching THAT tv, thats why I'm in this room..." is what I usually say out loud.

Sometimes, resetting the box (unplug, wait, plug back in) works....but often that does not work and I'm forced to not watch what I wanted and find something on live TV.

As of yesterday, now its saying that there is no DVR, it doesnt show any of the recordings, and the remote will only work if I hold it 2 inches from the box (I already replaced the batteries in the remote so that isnt the issue).

Is this a faulty box?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 105 of 2,315

scjohnson312 wrote:
With the new 1.3.4p1s7 firmware on my Companion box, I can now adjust the device lights brightness. However, once I do so, the lights all become lit and do not turn off after I am finished adjusting the brightness unless I turn the box off. Is this normal?

nothing is normal with a comcast companion box. I would try using the last button after you set it.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 106 of 2,315

JenAndChuck wrote:

We have one main X1 DVR, and two smaller boxes in other rooms. In one room, the smaller box works perfectly, in the other room, the box offten says "Cannot connect to DVR, please make sure it is turned on", even though I can see the recordings listed on screen...."I know its turned on, people are watching THAT tv, thats why I'm in this room..." is what I usually say out loud.

Is this a faulty box?

The first thing I would check is to make sure your Comcast gateway is setup right. The moca must be turned off on the gateway so it doesn't confict with that box. If it is a arris gateway this can be done on the console. If it is a technicolor 105+ than you must call modem support.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 107 of 2,315
If you recently had an X1 boxed swapped out, try changing the friendly name on the device that can't see the DVR to a different name than what the previous box had. This is a common error message when you start swapping out X1 boxes.
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 108 of 2,315

Jen and/or Chuck

I cleared the cache on all three boxes, then initiated a reboot.  Your terminal boxes (150s) accepted the signal and rebooted themselves.  However, your main DVR did not accept the reboot signal. 

Would you be able to reboot your main DVD? 

If you don't regain full DVR function I would suggest to call into Comcast and schedule a tech.  Based off what I see here, the tech might need to do something with the POE filter.

PM me if you need any help

Brandon

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 109 of 2,315

I find it really ironic that my post which compliments Comcast employees on finally getting more involved in this forum was ignored.... the bug I identified is real, replicable, and not a signal issue.

Can I get this logged and addressed please?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 110 of 2,315

ComcastIrma wrote:

I have all day open on Friday 10/17, what time works better for you?  I have 8-10 , 10-12, 1-3, 3-5, 5-7.

Comcast Irma

you guys are not stating time zones. the call taking center is always 'giving' eastern time. the myAccount app showed my appointment time in ET without a notation it was eastern time.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 111 of 2,315

SFGold wrote:

I find it really ironic that my post which compliments Comcast employees on finally getting more involved in this forum was ignored.... the bug I identified is real, replicable, and not a signal issue.

Can I get this logged and addressed please?

It is not signal what so ever! I can ensure you there are no signal issues here. Also the issue exist also on xod now as well!

Gold if you need help on this reach out to Comcast Thomas. He can get you on the right path with this.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 112 of 2,315

Thanks Pizza... how do I find this person?

I'm amazed that a bug they eliminated a year ago is now back.....

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 113 of 2,315
This is a forum. Do not rely solely on getting assistance through this forum. If you have an issue that you cannot find an answer to in the forums then call tech support which is open 24hrs.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 10 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 114 of 2,315
Both main and satellite boxes have now been updated by xfinity. New software gui. Still no surround. Talked to tech support by phone 4 days ago, no resolution, was promised a call back from xfinity tech support with 24-48 hours at that time. No call from xfinity. Starting to wonder if the TV part of my service should just be dumped. Will be checking out Direct TV. I know some folks who have it. I've had it before and hated the loss of signal whenever rain was even forecast (not really THAT bad), but still, X1 is a promising tech that so far is mostly fizzley..
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 115 of 2,315

Thanks Jcassell, I've been on X1 since the beginning and a long-time user of this forum, so I know what it's about....

I'm just trying to avoid having to actually work on a system-wide bug (again, I've done it before) with a Level 2.  I happily call tech support when it's something with my own system / box but this is clearly a software bug.   I cannot imagine the time it would take to get a Level 1 ("unplug the box...") CSR to even log the issue and escalate... no way am I spending that kind of time for something that Comcast should just fix with a future software push, since this is an issue that they fixed about a year ago.

Posted by
Admin1

Message 116 of 2,315

Hello 

Appointments are always schedule with customer's time zone.  As soon as we pulled their account to schedule the appointment, the time frame given are on their own time zone.

Thanks,

Comcast Irma 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 117 of 2,315
I know calling front-line support can feel like pulling teeth... But every time you call a ticket is created which helps the X1 engineers track issues and how wide the impact is. They won't know the significance of the issue simply by people posting on forums. My comment was mainly to inform the people that never call and always post to forums/social media.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 118 of 2,315
Leedoug, I have the same issue with surround not working properly when set to surround mode. Oddly enough, surround works fine when set to stereo. Worth a shot.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 119 of 2,315

The first thing I would check is to make sure your Comcast gateway is setup right. The moca must be turned off on the gateway so it doesn't confict with that box. If it is a arris gateway this can be done on the console. If it is a technicolor 105+ than you must call modem support.

Pizza,

Just an FYI_

I have an ARRIS TG862 and I have NEVER had to turn anything off in the MOCA for that device....

I believe that the LOCATION of the POE filter has more to do with this than anything else...

Just my 2 cents...

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 120 of 2,315

ComcastIrma wrote:

Hello Rustyben,

Appointments are always schedule with customer's time zone.  As soon as we pulled their account to schedule the appointment, the time frame given are on their own time zone.

Thanks,

Comcast Irma 

I know that is what they say but when they offer 8-10 then the my account says 9-11 and the tech says it is 9-11 on his system shows you there is a proble. my live time indicator is showing eastern time now on 146.05 clock is right

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 121 of 2,315

Ray the let me give the IT lowdown on what happens..The gateway will broadcast the moca at the same time that the two boxes are trying to talk. Since Comcast has not set the firmware on the gateway to talk to the x1 boxes and vise versa they are trying run on the same sub channel without knowledge of each other doing it.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 122 of 2,315

jcassell12 wrote:
Leedoug, I have the same issue with surround not working properly when set to surround mode. Oddly enough, surround works fine when set to stereo. Worth a shot.

Mine doesn't work correctly when X1 says surround.or stereo.

I have an open ticket with X1 support and a lady called me yesterday to tell me they would have a permanent fix in place in the next few days.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 123 of 2,315

ComcastIrma wrote:

Your appointment has been confirmed for Friday 10/17/14 between 8-10 AM.   Please keep me posted after tech's visit.

Thanks, 

Comcast Irma 

In the meantime, I discovered the "cable signal strength" menu in settings/comcast labs. Currently, it reports my signal strength as "good". I've enable the low signal indicator, so I suppose I'll get on-screen notification next time my signal starts to degrade. What is the metric used to measure signal strength? Is there a recommended minimum level for X1 to function correctly? I would like to verify when the service tech comes.

Here is a thought. Signal strength monitoring should have been an essential feature of X1 before public rollout. Not only should the user be notified of a low signal that could impact service, but Comcast should be monitoring all boxes for low signal notifications so they can flag a misbehaving receiver and notify customers that they may be having a bad experience. The burden should not be on the user to report bad service when it can be detected remotely. DirecTV used to notify me when it detected my receiver had disconnected my from home wireless network.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 124 of 2,315

raffenet wrote:

ComcastIrma wrote:

Thanks, 

Comcast Irma 

In the meantime, I discovered the "cable signal strength" menu in settings/comcast labs. Currently, it reports my signal strength as "good". I've enable the low signal indicator, so I suppose I'll get on-screen notification next time my signal starts to degrade. What is the metric used to measure signal strength? Is there a recommended minimum level for X1 to function correctly? I would like to verify when the service tech comes.

Here is a thought. Signal strength monitoring should have been an essential feature of X1 before public rollout. Not only should the user be notified of a low signal that could impact service, but Comcast should be monitoring all boxes for low signal notifications so they can flag a misbehaving receiver and notify customers that they may be having a bad experience. The burden should not be on the user to report bad service when it can be detected remotely. DirecTV used to notify me when it detected my receiver had disconnected my from home wireless network.

hold exit for 5 to 8 seconds, press down down 3. on summary hit OK. navigate to in-band network and see all tuner information (if that tuner has been used so far). Hit Exit to exit.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 125 of 2,315

I have a feeling the new "cable signal strength" meter does not test enough parameters to be of any great value. I believe Shane (pizzman) expressed concerns over this. It might help in the event of a "catastrophic" failure but I doubt it can be relied on as a diagnostic tool.

Should X1 have included something this at launch? Probably but where would this have fallen on the long list of X1's coulda, woulda and shoulda list???

I don't know what Comcast can and cannot detect within their network but I did see an example about six weeks ago. My townhome association had new mailboxes installed. While digging a hole in the ground for a new post, someone whacked Comcast's main underground line that feeds my neighborhood. They didn't completely cut the cable, they just injured it. I noticed no change in performance. But Comcast somehow detected the injury to the cable and had a line crew out the next day. They had it fixed by early afternoon. Had I not noticed the line truck and went and talked to the tech, I may have never noticed what had happened. The line tech told me that none of my neighbors had an interruption or called in. Comcast's network internally detected the problem. I was pretty impressed.

raffenet wrote:

ComcastIrma wrote:

Thanks, 

Comcast Irma 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 126 of 2,315

RickGr4 wrote:

I have a feeling the new "cable signal strength" meter does not test enough parameters to be of any great value. I believe Shane (pizzman) expressed concerns over this. It might help in the event of a "catastrophic" failure but I doubt it can be relied on as a diagnostic tool.

Should X1 have included something this at launch? Probably but where would this have fallen on the long list of X1's coulda, woulda and shoulda list???

I don't know what Comcast can and cannot detect within their network but I did see an example about six weeks ago. My townhome association had new mailboxes installed. While digging a hole in the ground for a new post, someone whacked Comcast's main underground line that feeds my neighborhood. They didn't completely cut the cable, they just injured it. I noticed no change in performance. But Comcast somehow detected the injury to the cable and had a line crew out the next day. They had it fixed by early afternoon. Had I not noticed the line truck and went and talked to the tech, I may have never noticed what had happened. The line tech told me that none of my neighbors had an interruption or called in. Comcast's network internally detected the problem. I was pretty impressed.

Here's the thing. The X1 remote apparently relies on non-local services and if signal strength is not ideal, the remote performance degrades. This forum is full of people complaining about their remotes not working well. It's 2014! How can we have regressed like this? And so customers report the problem and Comcast will suggest your signal might not be strong enough...

How did this product get out of QA? If the answer is remotes were only tested in ideal signal situations, well then QA is not doing it's job. If the problem was noticed, why wasn't it solved before release? Who okayed a flawed product? Can the box not fetch all information needed and cache it locally so remote operations don't have to go out to some server? Can certain functionality be disabled when it's determined that it's not performing?

Good tech companies do complex monitoring of their services to ensure a good user experience. They have teams of site reliability engineers thinking about these problems. If Amazon or Apple provided this kind of service, they would apologize and fix the service, not apply a band-aids on each customer's complaint.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 127 of 2,315

Hello Raffenent,

I am going to do my best to address all of the questions I am able to. starting with the RF levels.

Here is the list of what the RF levels need to be:

1. Upstream Transmit Power Level: 25 to 53 dBmV.
  2. Downstream Receive Power Level: -8 to 10 dBmV.
  3. Upstream Receive Power Level: -2 to 2 dBmV (technically should be as close to zero as possible or if padded should be as close to the padded number as possible and should be as straight a line as possible without a lot of jumping around).
  4. Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): minimum of 35 dB.
  5. Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) Individual Modem: minimum of 31 dB.
  6. Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) Channel Average: minimum of 31 dB.
  7. If any of the readings fall out these ranges as you check signals, schedule a trouble call for a technician to visit the premise to investigate/resolve the signal issue.

And here is a list of your current RF levels:

PulledDSRXDSSNRUSTXUSSNRT3T4LOST SYNCSRESETSDS FEC UNCUS FEC UNC
10/14 21:24 -6.5 37.5 46.2 34.7 0 0 0 0 0 0
10/14 13:43 -6.5 37.5 46.2 35.2 0 0 0 0 0 0
10/14 07:19 -6.7 37.5 46.2 35 0 0 0 0 0 0
10/13 21:31 -6.9 37.5 46 35.3 0 0 0 0 0 0
10/13 13:35 -6.8 37.5 46.2 34.7 0 0 0 0 0 0
10/13 07:10 -7 37.2 46 30.9 0 0 0 0 0 0
10/12 21:28 -6.7 37.5 46 32.6 0 0 0 0 0 0
10/12 13:28 -6.6 37.5 46 34.7 0 0 0 0 0 0
10/12 07:08 -6.5 37.4 46 32.7 0 0 0 0 0 0
10/11 21:25 -6.1 37.5 46 32.2 0 0 0 0 0 0
10/11 13:30 -6.9 37.3 46 33 0 0 0 0 0 0
10/11 07:06 -6.5 37.5 46 34.9 0 0 0 0 0 0
10/10 21:27 -6.5 37.5 46 33.9 0 0 0 0 0 0
10/10 13:31 -6.2 37.5 46 34 0 0 0 0 0 0
10/10 07:10 -6.8 37.5 46 33.2 0 0 0 0 0 0
10/9 21:31 -6.6 37.5 46 32.8 0 0 0 0 0 0
10/9 13:29 -6.7 37.5 46.2 34.5 1 0 0 1 0 0
10/9 07:11 -6.8 37.5 46 33.6 1 0 0 1 0 0
10/8 21:29 -6.3 37.5 46.2 34.1 0 0 0 1 0 0
10/8 13:30 -7.3 37.1 46.2 34.2 0 0 0 1 0 0
10/8 07:07       34.6           0
10/7 21:26 -6.6 37.5 46.2 33.8 0 0 0 1 0 0
10/7 13:35 -6.7 37.4 46.2 32.4 0 0 0 1 0 0

For the most part, your signal levels appear to be ok. However, this test is only done twice a day. It appears your signal levels are changing throughout the day, which appears to be affecting your service (from the chart above, your signal levels look pretty good. But now for example, from a live reading, I can see that your USSNR is too low. This low signal can cause issues with both the remote and the box).

As for the testing portion of things, I can't provide an answer on those. My main focus is repair. And i'm more than happy to do what i can to provide what answers and education I can.

As for your appointment, I also see it set for 8AM-10AM CDT.

If I can help with any other questions, please let me know. I'll do my best to assist in however I can.

Thanks!

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 128 of 2,315

Raffenet. Looking over that stats post by Jessie I see where your Upstream snr is way low at the bottom and now it is higher. Sounds like heat or moister maybe a factor here. I would look into that.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 10 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 129 of 2,315
Since my box won't allow being 'changed to surround' it is set on stereo & no surround is passing through to receiver. It use to, when it was set to surround and then one day about a month ago, I noticed no surround sound and no ability to reset to surround 😨😱 oh the horror!!! Lol, but seriously, as much as I pay, not cool. I'm about to enter the twilight zone and try again with customer service, this time on the phone
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 130 of 2,315

Leedoug,

Over the past year or so, surround audio have been one of the most widely discussed issues in this forum. Which X1 DVR you have, how it is connected and what it is connected to all have influence on this. I strongly suggest that you do some searching and reading in this forum. If you feel you have a new issue (you don't) then start a new thread...

You will need to post specifics on what products you have and how it is all connected to get the right help on this.

Leedoug61 wrote:
Since my box won't allow being 'changed to surround' it is set on stereo & no surround is passing through to receiver. It use to, when it was set to surround and then one day about a month ago, I noticed no surround sound and no ability to reset to surround 😨😱 oh the horror!!! Lol, but seriously, as much as I pay, not cool. I'm about to enter the twilight zone and try again with customer service, this time on the phone

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 131 of 2,315

ComcastJesse wrote:

Hello Raffenent,

I am going to do my best to address all of the questions I am able to. starting with the RF levels.

Here is the list of what the RF levels need to be:

1. Upstream Transmit Power Level: 25 to 53 dBmV.
  2. Downstream Receive Power Level: -8 to 10 dBmV.
  3. Upstream Receive Power Level: -2 to 2 dBmV (technically should be as close to zero as possible or if padded should be as close to the padded number as possible and should be as straight a line as possible without a lot of jumping around).
  4. Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): minimum of 35 dB.
  5. Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) Individual Modem: minimum of 31 dB.
  6. Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) Channel Average: minimum of 31 dB.
  7. If any of the readings fall out these ranges as you check signals, schedule a trouble call for a technician to visit the premise to investigate/resolve the signal issue.

And here is a list of your current RF levels:

Pulled DSRX DSSNR USTX USSNR T3 T4 LOST SYNCS RESETS DS FEC UNC US FEC UNC 10/14 21:24 -6.5 37.5 46.2 34.7 0 0 0 0 0 0 10/14 13:43 -6.5 37.5 46.2 35.2 0 0 0 0 0 0 10/14 07:19 -6.7 37.5 46.2 35 0 0 0 0 0 0 10/13 21:31 -6.9 37.5 46 35.3 0 0 0 0 0 0 10/13 13:35 -6.8 37.5 46.2 34.7 0 0 0 0 0 0 10/13 07:10 -7 37.2 46 30.9 0 0 0 0 0 0 10/12 21:28 -6.7 37.5 46 32.6 0 0 0 0 0 0 10/12 13:28 -6.6 37.5 46 34.7 0 0 0 0 0 0 10/12 07:08 -6.5 37.4 46 32.7 0 0 0 0 0 0 10/11 21:25 -6.1 37.5 46 32.2 0 0 0 0 0 0 10/11 13:30 -6.9 37.3 46 33 0 0 0 0 0 0 10/11 07:06 -6.5 37.5 46 34.9 0 0 0 0 0 0 10/10 21:27 -6.5 37.5 46 33.9 0 0 0 0 0 0 10/10 13:31 -6.2 37.5 46 34 0 0 0 0 0 0 10/10 07:10 -6.8 37.5 46 33.2 0 0 0 0 0 0 10/9 21:31 -6.6 37.5 46 32.8 0 0 0 0 0 0 10/9 13:29 -6.7 37.5 46.2 34.5 1 0 0 1 0 0 10/9 07:11 -6.8 37.5 46 33.6 1 0 0 1 0 0 10/8 21:29 -6.3 37.5 46.2 34.1 0 0 0 1 0 0 10/8 13:30 -7.3 37.1 46.2 34.2 0 0 0 1 0 0 10/8 07:07       34.6           0 10/7 21:26 -6.6 37.5 46.2 33.8 0 0 0 1 0 0 10/7 13:35 -6.7 37.4 46.2 32.4 0 0 0 1 0 0

For the most part, your signal levels appear to be ok. However, this test is only done twice a day. It appears your signal levels are changing throughout the day, which appears to be affecting your service (from the chart above, your signal levels look pretty good. But now for example, from a live reading, I can see that your USSNR is too low. This low signal can cause issues with both the remote and the box).

As for the testing portion of things, I can't provide an answer on those. My main focus is repair. And i'm more than happy to do what i can to provide what answers and education I can.

As for your appointment, I also see it set for 8AM-10AM CDT.

If I can help with any other questions, please let me know. I'll do my best to assist in however I can.

Thanks!

Thanks. This is helpful for me to better understand the problem. FWIW, someone other yahoo parachuted into my rant to complain about timezones Smiley Happy.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 132 of 2,315
Thanks. But as my particular problem, surround is an option, but will not remain chosen is a 4 week old problem (it worked before) I posted it to the forum hoping for an easy solution. The forum informed me there was an X1 technical issue thread and I moved it to that hoping for help. The only model designation of my 'box' is XC1-P or XG1-P, (it's small lettering) I'm using HDMI to a Sony 5300ES receiver. I've already tried running directly to my Panasonic model VT-50 plasma instead and no help. Still doesn't allow surround setting to remain chosen and although when I select it the audio clues that I've changed something, but the receiver, in auto sound mode, gets the same stereo signal from the box, no change. Even tried a newer Monster HDMI cable I have, no difference in either hookup method. No surround
Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 133 of 2,315

Haha! No worries. I just wanted to reassure you that the appointment was correct.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 134 of 2,315
I've no appointment yet
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 135 of 2,315

Lee,

Once again, your answers are clearly spelled out in this forum. But I will make it easy for you. First of all, which X1 DVR do you have? XG1-P with a green power light of XG1-A with a blue power light? If the problem started a month ago, I am fairly sure I know what is happening.

I will walk you through this but you are gonna need to provide me with the information I need if you aren't gonna do the research...

Leedoug61 wrote:
Thanks. But as my particular problem, surround is an option, but will not remain chosen is a 4 week old problem (it worked before) I posted it to the forum hoping for an easy solution. The forum informed me there was anX1 technical issue thread and I moved it to that hoping for help. The only model designation of my 'box' isXC1-P orXG1-P, (it's small lettering) I'm usingHDMI to a Sony5300ES receiver. I've already tried running directly to my Panasonic model VT-50 plasma instead and no help. Still doesn't allow surround setting to remain chosen and although when I select it the audio clues that I've changed something, but the receiver, in auto sound mode, gets the same stereo signal from the box, no change. Even tried a newer MonsterHDMI cable I have, no difference in either hookup method. No surround

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 136 of 2,315

RickGr4 wrote:

Lee,

Once again, your answers are clearly spelled out in this forum. But I will make it easy for you. First of all, which X1 DVR do you have? XG1-P with a green power light of XG1-A with a blue power light? If the problem started a month ago, I am fairly sure I know what is happening.

I will walk you through this but you are gonna need to provide me with the information I need if you aren't gonna do the research...

Leedoug61 wrote:
Thanks. But as my particular problem, surround is an option, but will not remain chosen is a 4 week old problem (it worked before) I posted it to the forum hoping for an easy solution. The forum informed me there was anX1 technical issue thread and I moved it to that hoping for help. The only model designation of my 'box' isXC1-P orXG1-P, (it's small lettering) I'm usingHDMI to a Sony5300ES receiver. I've already tried running directly to my Panasonic model VT-50 plasma instead and no help. Still doesn't allow surround setting to remain chosen and although when I select it the audio clues that I've changed something, but the receiver, in auto sound mode, gets the same stereo signal from the box, no change. Even tried a newer MonsterHDMI cable I have, no difference in either hookup method. No surround

Rick, i've got 3 XG1-P's 2 blue one green. The blue is the newest 'color' for power light maybe?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 137 of 2,315

We have the X1 platform. Our box in the basement was working fine, after an initial installation problem in July, but this weekend the picture went out. The sound works, we've reset, we've changed the input and checked to make sure it wasn't the tv but nothing has helped. Would love to avoid a service call if anyone has any suggestions.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 138 of 2,315

this is our 4th box since signing up a few months ago.

I just got this new box a couple weeks ago, it will randomly shut off when I am channel surfing or just no reason at all but my tv is still on and everything. Then if you use the controller it randomly puts in channel 2 while you are no where near it. I tried other controllers and it does the exact same thing so it has to be an issue with the box. I just want ONE month where I don't have to have a technician or talk on the phone with these people. I am so frustrated.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 139 of 2,315

Is there a way, within the X1 TV app, for it NOT to automatically start streaming the first channel in my lineup?   (In my case, ME tv).   It makes the app so sluggish.   I would much rather be able to select the channel or DVR recording I want to stream BEFORE it starts buffering content.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 140 of 2,315
I'm having the same issue right now. Flipped on my tv in my bedroom tonight and nothing. X1 box just has the orange data light blinking orange. Unplugged in an attempt to reset several times since there's no reset button on my box. Been over 30mins since last reset. Ideas? Please help? Logged into chat room and no analysts either.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 141 of 2,315
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 142 of 2,315
And, as an aside, the forum posts from other folks having this same issue and even some of the 'solutions' given.....none of that would tell me I needed to say what color the power button is. If these seriously advanced x 1 boxes need to be identified by which color the power button is (?) pretty lame. And to seemingly chide someone "for not wanting to do the research", is lame as well. First of all, researching x 1 boxes problems is being done because??? I've done something 'wrong' ? Rather not have your help if your going to blame me. So help me or not, but drop the chiding. So far, no one has helped. My box doesn't even HAVE a update choice in the software. So I can hardly do that. The box was updated 3 days ago, btw, shortly after a customer service conversation via chat with Comcast,. During which I was assured that a service tech appointment was needed & I would be contacted in 24-48 hours. That was 6 days ago, no call. I turned to the forum for assistance only to discover it to be a place where you can be chided for doing something you shouldn't have to need to do? X1 is annoying enough without any extra annoyance thrown in non-helpfully
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 143 of 2,315

Read this thead and pay careful attention to what I wrote on the 3rd page: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/A-New-Audio-Problem/m-p/2342181#M35157

Try this thread as well: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/X1-Audio-Problems-Stereo-vs-Surround/m-p/2342225#M35168

It's not your fault but you probably have the wrong X1 DVR for your situation. Please don't yell at me because the X1 boxes don't work right. I am trying to provide you with the appropriate work arounds...

Leedoug61 wrote:
And, as an aside, the forum posts from other folks having this same issue and even some of the 'solutions' given.....none of that would tell me I needed to say what color the power button is. If these seriously advanced x 1 boxes need to be identified by which color the power button is (?) pretty lame. And to seemingly chide someone "for not wanting to do the research", is lame as well. First of all, researching x 1 boxes problems is being done because??? I've done something 'wrong' ? Rather not have your help if your going to blame me. So help me or not, but drop the chiding. So far, no one has helped. My box doesn't even HAVE a update choice in the software. So I can hardly do that. The box was updated 3 days ago, btw, shortly after a customer service conversation via chat with Comcast,. During which I was assured that a service tech appointment was needed & I would be contacted in 24-48 hours. That was 6 days ago, no call. I turned to the forum for assistance only to discover it to be a place where you can be chided for doing something you shouldn't have to need to do? X1 is annoying enough without any extra annoyance thrown in non-helpfully

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 144 of 2,315

Leedoug61 wrote:
And, as an aside, the forum posts from other folks having this same issue and even some of the 'solutions' given.....none of that would tell me I needed to say what color the power button is. If these seriously advanced x 1 boxes need to be identified by which color the power button is (?) pretty lame. And to seemingly chide someone "for not wanting to do the research", is lame as well. First of all, researching x 1 boxes problems is being done because??? I've done something 'wrong' ? Rather not have your help if your going to blame me. So help me or not, but drop the chiding. So far, no one has helped. My box doesn't even HAVE a update choice in the software. So I can hardly do that. The box was updated 3 days ago,btw, shortly after a customer service conversation via chat with Comcast,. During which I was assured that a service tech appointment was needed & I would be contacted in 24-48 hours. That was 6 days ago, no call. I turned to the forum for assistance only to discover it to be a place where you can be chided for doing something you shouldn't have to need to do?X1 is annoying enough without any extra annoyance thrown in non-helpfully

There are 6 different model x1 boxes on the market, So that is why sometimes we ask what color light you have. I took A look at some of your post. I see that it will not let you choose anything but stereo. Without swapping your box out you will have to try different methods of turning the box on. Most have found that turning everything off, and unplugging the x1 will get it working. Turn the tv on last. you will have to experiment. Also using the toslink to the AVR works the best even if you are running the HDMI to the AVR. Just change the input On the AVR to take from the toslink.

You may in the end have to get the arris built x1 box, it is hard to tell. There are also other built boxes besides x1 that work on comcast systems, some aftermarket some comcast spec boxes.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 145 of 2,315

RickGr4 wrote:

Rick,

You are absolutely correct....

Since I have medical issues that I would rather not go into here, I am sometimes awake all night...   last night, I woke up to an RDK-00030 wihich ion reality COULD NOT be cured with power down or a reboot as this was a total COMCAST OUTTAGE...

Including VOICE-DATA-CABLE...

When these situations occur, using a standard IT'S YOUR BOX PROBLEM error message and told to reboot isn't very truthful.

ANYTIME it is a TOTAL OUTTAGE, that EXACT ERROR should be broadcast from the DVR/STB....  it's quirte simple programming actually.... I could writer that code in the few seconds I "do" actually sleep at night!  <g>

It is very frustratuing though, to be told to use the MyAccount APP and to find your WiFI connection is also DOWN so unless your smart enough to turn your Wireless off and switch to your 4G ONLY setting in your phone, the APP is useless.....

Stepping off soapbox now....

-=Ray=-

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 146 of 2,315

I had received 2 x PR150BNMD to replace my old legacy boxes.  I received them at the Xfinity Store and was told I could install them myslef.  I then received an email about a Tech appointment the next day to install.  They didnt show up so I Hooked them up and after putting in account number and phone number the bedroom one was working.  I go and install the Living room X1 and it works but then the Bedroom one doesnt work gives me an error saying I do not of the service and to call Customer Support.  I hook up old box in Bedroom and it works with old interface and the X1 in living room still works.  How do I get the second X1 box to work in Bedroom?  The two boxes do come off of a split cable in wall between the bedroom and living room.  Also,  I do not have a DVR box just 2 standard X1 boxes.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 147 of 2,315

Tdunphy wrote:

I had received 2 x PR150BNMD to replace my old legacy boxes.  I received them at the Xfinity Store and was told I could install them myslef.  I then received an email about a Tech appointment the next day to install.  They didnt show up so I Hooked them up and after putting in account number and phone number the bedroom one was working.  I go and install the Living room X1 and it works but then the Bedroom one doesnt work gives me an error saying I do not of the service and to call Customer Support.  I hook up old box in Bedroom and it works with old interface and the X1 in living room still works.  How do I get the second X1 box to work in Bedroom?  The two boxes do come off of a split cable in wall between the bedroom and living room.  Also,  I do not have a DVR box just 2 standard X1 boxes.

Could tell you how to fix this, but what is the purpose of getting the boxes in the first place. You won't be happy with them without the DVR. those boxes are very slow to do anything. I would get your old boxes back. If you still want them than you are going to have to do some work on the wire or call Comcast...lets us know if you want help with understand all that needs to be done to the wiring.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 148 of 2,315

tDunphy

I am attempting to push a working firmware version to your 150 boxes. For some reason the 150s are not happy with our newest firmware update.

The 150's will restart after the new firmware has been pushed.

Let me know how they're working now.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 149 of 2,315

Please do not hijack threads. Feel free to start a new thread when you have a new subject.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 150 of 2,315

I have had the X1 system for about a month now and found it to be VERY glitchy. Sometimes the topboxes do not connect correctly with the main DVR box and will not play my recordings. Other times while I am watching a recorded program and try to fast forward through the comercials, it will jump way ahead like 5 or 10 minutes even though I am using the slowest FF. Sometimes the series recordings will record EVERY episode even though it is set to only record new episodes. Other times the whole system freezes up and I have to reboot the box. Sometimes when using ON DEMAND it does not show the names of shows or movies, instead I will get a screen filled with grey boxes. A few times I have had errors in a recorded program that will only let me watch a portion of the recording and then it just freezes. I have tried restarting the show and even tried watching it in a different room but it always will stop in the same spot so the problem is with the recording and not the box. I do not have nearly as much space to record as I did with my old box even though I was assured this DVR had MORE space. I realize that this is a new system and bugs still need to be worked out but overall I am disappointed. The only thing keeping me from asking for my old system back is being able to watch my recordings in any room.