Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

X1 Shortcut button not working

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 401 of 507

I have spent days reprogramming my remote thinking there was something wrong because my "B" button does not work.

Finally, I asked a techie at work and he told me that you had disabled it.  And, replaced it with a listing on the right side/ program on the left side.The way I watch TV is to use the B button to watch a program and scroll through listings by channel for things to DVR in the future. The set up today is not providing me with what I want. I have to go to the program guide, find the channel I am interested in looking at ...click on that,then find the listing by channel and ability to read the discription if needed. I like to scroll through the channel to set up what i might be interested in DVRing in the future while watching TV. Does anyone know of an easier way to do this? It shouldn't be that difficult! Am I missing a shortcut...I'd love to know of one. 

Posted by
Administrator

Message 402 of 507

The X1 Remote is an advanced remote control that allows XFINITY X1 customers to quickly find their favorite content, tune to channels, get recommendations, control their DVR and much more. We value customer feedback and use it to help guide our decisions regarding the launch of new X1 Remote features and any changes to existing functionality. 

Comcast is committed to providing people who have disabilities with an awesome entertainment experience on X1. As we continue to make Accessibility-related enhancements, we are utilizing your input to help provide all X1 customers with the freedom to independently explore thousands of TV shows and movies – both live and via XFINITY On Demand. 

Based on customer feedback we’ve received and carefully considered, we recently made the decision to disable the B shortcut key on the X1 Remote, which previously opened a minimized, picture-in-picture video window from the On-Screen Guide. 

The XFINITY X1 team now plans to repurpose the B shortcut key for a future Accessibility feature. We’ll share more details when this new feature is ready to launch and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may experience as a result of this change. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 403 of 507
Should have "repurposed" the D.

Jessie you folks made a poor decision here...
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 404 of 507

RickGr4 wrote:

FWIW, Jessie had nothing to do with it.  If you insist on "calling out" someone then call out Comcast in general.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 405 of 507
Again wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

FWIW, Jessie had nothing to do with it.  If you insist on "calling out" someone then call out Comcast in general.

By saying "you folks", that means Comcast in general...........

Let's not forget that this decision was made without notice and even customer service representatives did not know what was happening. Thousands of customers were left believing they had defective products.

This entire event was and is an EPIC FAILURE on Comcast's part and is a glaring reminder of why Comcast continues to be ranked as one of the poorest customer service companies in the USA.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 406 of 507

I'm in another thread where we are waiting for Comcast to give us a YouTube app which is supposed to be coming soon. I wonder if Comcast plans on using the B button as a short cut to this YouTube app when it arrives. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 407 of 507

ComcastJessie wrote:

The X1 Remote is an advanced remote control that allows XFINITY X1 customers to quickly find their favorite content, tune to channels, get recommendations, control their DVR and much more. We value customer feedback and use it to help guide our decisions regarding the launch of new X1 Remote features and any changes to existing functionality. 

Comcast is committed to providing people who have disabilities with an awesome entertainment experience on X1. As we continue to make Accessibility-related enhancements, we are utilizing your input to help provide all X1 customers with the freedom to independently explore thousands of TV shows and movies – both live and via XFINITY On Demand. 

Based on customer feedback we’ve received and carefully considered, we recently made the decision to disable the B shortcut key on the X1 Remote, which previously opened a minimized, picture-in-picture video window from the On-Screen Guide. 

The XFINITY X1 team now plans to repurpose the B shortcut key for a future Accessibility feature. We’ll share more details when this new feature is ready to launch and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may experience as a result of this change. 

I think if it came down to the number of customers who use the B button to those that use the C button the C button was the one you should have disabled. Does Comcast have statisics on the use of the B button and the C button?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 408 of 507
Used B button a lot. Very disappointed it is no longer available.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 409 of 507

Can Comcast provide some statistics on the use of the B button vs the use of the C or D buttons?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 410 of 507

WindsurfMaui wrote:

I'm in another thread where we are waiting for Comcast to give us a YouTube app which is supposed to be coming soon. I wonder if Comcast plans on using the B button as a short cut to this YouTube app when it arrives. 

Not likely.  Netlix is an App.  I suspect they will do the same with YouTube.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 411 of 507

I used to have a little box on the tv screen where you view the channel you are on and viewing the guide what happened to it?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 412 of 507

This thread is pretty long for Comcast to think that "lack of use" of the B button was the reason they got rid of it...how do they know, we are not using it? because I used the B button every single, every single time I watched tv. it was one of the most helpful features, without it, it has been EXTREMELY frustrating to search the guide! the right arrow works but its annoying as its not the full guide and you CANT view on demand on anything else. Where can we complain to petition this feature to be brought back? it was in my opinion a very useless decison to make as the B button right now does absolutely NOTHING. there was no email warning of the chagnes made or if there are plans to still make the feature avaialbe but maybe using another button. this just doesnt make any sense at all.  Bring the B button back ! 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 413 of 507

I used the B button all the time in guide view, please bring it back. This is very frustrating because I can't watch thw current program while I am searching in the guide. This has reduced the functionality of your servcie and upset me enough that I've taken the time out of my day to tell you about it. I recieve ATT promotions in the mail regularly, it might be time to make a change.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 414 of 507

can someone at comcast tell me who was the genius that did away with the option of being to search the guide and use the "B" button to watch the program you were watching.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 415 of 507

I see you disabled the button because no one was using it?  I don't think you realize how many actually use it and it is not a button you would use all of the time, it is a shortcut that helped a lot. What is sad and not thought out at all is that you disabled it with no new use for it or any kind of idea how you will ever use it. You should have let it alone as you see many people are very upset including me that you took the function away with no new use for it at all ???? How on earth does that make any sense at all to anyone. It would have been less work with the update to just leave it alone. You can change or find a new use later and not lose customers because of this in the first place.

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 416 of 507

How do I get back the small picture in the right hand lower corner when I am looking at the guide

Posted by
New Poster

Message 417 of 507

Thanks for the update, that was a function that I found myself using a lot.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 418 of 507

res2fr wrote:

Thanks for the update, that was a function that I found myself using a lot.

hi, I moved your post to the big "B button" area of the forum.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 419 of 507

B button discontinued supposedly because it wasn't used ??? Who said??? I used it all the time and want it back!!!! Whenever using Guide it was helpful to have PIP. Who made this decision ??? 😝

Posted by
New Poster

Message 420 of 507

According to the customer feedback in this forum your previous feedback was wrong ! A lot of your customers used this feature and would like it back. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 421 of 507
just sayin' here... seems like Comcast could add the PIP on guide 'on/off' option in preferences and maybe add a voice command to toggle it off/on, too.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 422 of 507

Horrible!  I love that feature!!  Why would you get rid of it??? 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 423 of 507

Can anyone tell my why Xfinity disabled the "B" shortcut button?  It used to show a small picture within a picture white you were using the Channel Guide.  It was helpful as a way to check upcomming programming while continuing to watch an existing program.  I used this function quite a bit, but have been told at the Xfinity Store that it's been discontinued.  Why?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 424 of 507

My remote control used to let me view the tv screen by using the B while browsing the guide but no longer.  Is this a problem with my remote or is not provided anymore.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 425 of 507

It has been disabled.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 426 of 507
They took away a feature, yet we STILL pay TOO much for service that also goes out during rain.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 427 of 507

Add my family too!!!!!!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 428 of 507

When I am displaying the Guide, it doesn't display the picure in the bottom right corner when pressing B key like it used to do.  How can I get that to work again?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 429 of 507

WayneofBrthoud wrote:

When I am displaying the Guide, it doesn't display the picure in the bottom right corner when pressing B key like it used to do.  How can I get that to work again?

Hi, I moved your post to the common "B" thread. The feature was removed. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 430 of 507
Dear Andrew, please kindly tell the powers that be to restore this function. This is one of the silliest things I have ever seen a tech company do. #bringbackourBbutton!
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 431 of 507

I posted before about reasons why the use of the PIP with the B button was important for me. Let me add some additional reasons. For me, the full grid guide IS an accessibility feature as I have it set to display larger text. It's the only place where I can read program descriptions.

Also, the mini-guide shows only current shows...it's a tedious process to display upcoming  shows--I have to display  upcoming shows one channel at a time. What this change has force me to do is use TV listings on my iPad if I want to see what is on while continuing to watch the show. Also…, you have taken away a feature that we had in the old Comcast  prior to X1...it doesn't set well  that Comcast has elected  to take away a feature that was standard before I upgraded to X1. Please put it back!

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 432 of 507

Baloney - the guide that displays does not go forward in time.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 433 of 507

I also use the B button all of the time and would like the functionality restored.

An email informing customers of an upcoming loss of functionality would be helpful.

Someone mentioned using the D button instead of taking away the B button would have been better. I agree with that because when I press the D button, nothing happens anyway

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 434 of 507

Just a message to everyone posting on this thread. It is good to post here to share your thoughts with other forum members. But if you want action you need to also post to the Xfinity Facebook page and tweet them. This will give the people in charge of Xfinity customer relations a better sense of the number of people unhappy with removing the B button function.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 435 of 507

When I search the guide, the small picture that used to appear in the lower right hand corner is no longer there.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 436 of 507

I want my X1 blue button back!! Please.  (Showing mini-picture during guide.)

Posted by
New Poster

Message 437 of 507

Why do remove features but do not inform the customer?  The PIP is used by all in the guide.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 438 of 507

when surfing on the guide i would press the :B: button to get a picture in the lower right hand corner, I no longer get this.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 439 of 507
That stinks! The B button mini screen was one of the best features. Xfinity is pretty clueless about their users.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 440 of 507
So why not leave it? Try talking to your users!
Posted by
New Poster

Message 441 of 507
That was a great feature. Huge thumbs down on that change!
Posted by
New Poster

Message 442 of 507

Apparently, after some update at some point, when I press the B button on my X1 voice control remote, I no longer have my tv in the lower right corner of my Guide, in fact, it does not come up anymore.  Any help would be great.  Thank you.  

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 443 of 507

samdifranco wrote:

I used to have a little box on the tv screen where you view the channel you are on and viewing the guide what happened to it?

The B button has been disabled.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 444 of 507

Bring back the "B" button functionality period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 445 of 507

Junkman362 wrote:

Bring back the "B" button functionality period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You might want to read about this on 'Upcoming X1 Updates' thread. It has been discussed and fussed about since they took it away. There are 59 pages in that thread so go to the last page and start reading with message 2916 which is where the latest updates are presented including the removal of the 'B' button.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 446 of 507

Why hasn't there been any public communication about disabling the B button on X1 remote?  I pay for services and when a service is arbitrarily deleted without any communication or the statistics behind the change, I wonder why I don't see a corresponding lowering of charges?  And, just as important, why I wasn't informed this change was coming.  Is this the future of Xfinity's customer support?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 447 of 507

give me my B button function back

Posted by
New Poster

Message 448 of 507
Comcast, where you want the "B", but they give you the "D"!
Posted by
New Poster

Message 449 of 507

I understand you "removed" this function.  WHAT?  I too spent time trying to troubleshoot.  That was a terrific function that I used frequently.  I agree with the prior commenter, you don't take away functionality, you enhance it!  Bad move!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 450 of 507
If the choice was to remove the "b" button function, why isn't it default to contain the small picture in the first place? Shouldn't I be allowed to continue to watch my program while accessing the guide? It could be something like seeing a commercial and saying "oh yeah I want to record that" and the commercial is over and my program is back on. I shouldn't have to pause tv to access the guide and record the program that I just saw the commercial for or miss being able to see my program. Either way, complete lack of thought on the customer's wants by Comcast.