Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

X1 Shortcut button not working

New Poster

The "B" button stopped working

When I am in the guide and I press the B button I'm suppose to get a small picture view in the lower right corner of the TV.  It stopped working.  Anybody know why or how to restore it?

New Poster

Re: X1 Shortcut button not working

I called Xfinity about the B button not working and the agent said that they have been getting many calls and they didn't know why it wasn't working but heard that the "B" option is going away.  Disappointing since we used this option daily.  Why would Xfinity do such a thing?  She said she would call if there were any updates.  Not to be cynical, but I don't  at all believe that they would ever call.  No one called us back when we asked why my husband's tennis recordings quit playback after 6 hours even though he recorded 8 hours.  They've come a long way but they have more work to do in their customer inquiries and satisfaction.  If anyone finds out why th B button quit working, we'd appreciate an update.  Thanks.

New Poster

Re: "B" button on X1 remote not working

over the last several months upgrades have eliminated several functions that made x1 platform useful. Here's a list.

"B" button on the voice remote no longer works in any mode.

Caller id history (part of the notifications screen) no longer works. (Left arrow on voice remote brought up caller id history

Cast and crew program information (part of the guide function) no longer works. (List of who is staring in the show/movie.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Contributor

Re: Remote features using ABCD buttons

It would be nice to let customers know when remote functions like using the B key while viewing the Guide, no longer work.

Tags (1)
Service Expert

Re: The "B" button stopped working

You can't.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-Shortcut-button-not-working/m-p/2936478#M132640

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Service Expert

Re: 'B' button on X1 remote no longer works

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-Shortcut-button-not-working/m-p/2936478#M132640

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Canned Answer When I Inquired As To Why the "B" Button Is Gone

I sent an email voicing my concern and disappointment.  I received a note from Natalie saying she sent documentation to clarify what was goind on.  I never received it. When I replied, I received a note from Marika.  She apologised for me not getting the documentation.  Of course, no documentation about anything was received.  It was a short email.  In part, this is the email:

Thank you for authenticating your account. My name is Marika and I am with the office of Tom Karinshak. I will be assisting you today, Natalie is out of the office. I do apologize we have no intention on bringing back the function of the B button at this time and that you did not receive the document Natalie sent you. 

The other senetence in the email was a link to how to use the X1 platform.  

SMH

Frequent Visitor

Maybe its time we all contact Comcast billing and demand a 10% reduction in our bill due to diminished functionality. 

New Poster

Remote B button problem

While using the remote guide, the "B" button no longer displays the current program window.  How can I fix this?

Service Expert

Re: Remote B button problem

zipdodad wrote:

While using the remote guide, the "B" button no longer displays the current program window.  How can I fix this?

You can't.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I totally agree.  We used it daily and miss it terribly.  

New Poster

Must better than the B Button!

New Poster

Why the heck did't they ask us about this. And suggest this. Not as good but much better then nothing

I think we should ALL stop paying our bill until they restore it. Nationwide

New Poster

well said!!!

New Poster

Remote Shortcut Keys ABCD

Very disappointed that the B Button shortcut on the remote no longer works.  Please bring this functionality back. Also, it would be helpful if updates, especially ones that remove functionality, would be posted on your site for easy access.

New Poster

I can't believe they took this functionality away! With the amount Xfinity customers pay for service, they shouldn't be removing functions that are used. Whoever decided this wasn't used obviously never talks to the customers.
New Poster

Dear Comcast Andrew,

I was very surprised to read the feature of the B button was removed due to lack of use. We used it ALL THE TIME! Please bring it back!
New Poster

Good tip but the right arrow does not provide the same functionality.
Regular Visitor

Concept is good, but, they will disconnect us so fast!!! And, without warning! Again, less product, higher price. That is happening everywhere. Look st the "half gallon" ice cream. No longer a half gallon.
New Poster

Guide Setting/B option on Remote

The "B" option no longer works. There is supposed to be a way that you can search the guide screen and press the "B" button on the remote to also view what is on live tv displayed in the lower right corner of the guide screen. This option no longer works for me. This option is still available. Repairman came out to check the issue but was unable to fix the issue.

Service Expert

Re: Guide Setting/B option on Remote

Diva820 wrote:

The "B" option no longer works. There is supposed to be a way that you can search the guide screen and press the "B" button on the remote to also view what is on live tv displayed in the lower right corner of the guide screen. This option no longer works for me. This option is still available. Repairman came out to check the issue but was unable to fix the issue.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Re: Why can't I no longer see picture-in-picture when viewing the guide and pressing the "B&amp

Here's a simple suggestion to Comcast-Xfinity....PUT IT BACK!

New Poster

Put it back!

New Poster

Shortcut B Button

The shortcut "B" button is not functioning to put the TV picture in the lower right corner of the screen when brosing the guide. How can this be corrected?

New Poster

Obviously from all the comments here, lack of use is not the reason for disabling the B button. It was a great feature that Comcast took away with no warning nor true reason why. When I first realized that the B button didn't work I called Comcast technical support. They tried several things to fix the issue with no success. They actually told me to take my remotes to the xfinity store for replacement. Obviously they didn't know the B button was disabled intentionally by Comcast. You say it will be used for something else in the future, but why not let us use it until that time or at least give us the true story
New Poster

Get rid of it because of a button
New Poster

We use it All The Time! Please restore, I just spent last 30 minutes thinking my remote didn't work. Just about to call Xfinity support, til I found this forum.
New Poster

I used the B function all the time! It let me multi-task. Please give us the function back! It is extremely irritating to not be able to see the screen while looking for something else at the same time. At least I found this thread so I quit trying to figure out what was wrong with my tv...
New Poster

That only helps if you want to see the guide for what's on right now. It doesn't help if you want to see the guide for the future or manage your recordings, look up the actors, etc. At least I couldn't figure out how without the B functionality that they so rudely took away. Direct tv looks better everyday...
New Poster

Re: The "B" button stopped working

Bring Back B!

New Poster

B Button

Bring Back B button!

Service Expert

Re: B Button

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Re: B Button

Instead of bringing back the B Button I'd rather see a permanent mini screen in the top left or right corner likme the older comcast on screen guides!

Regular Visitor

It makes me angry that Xfinity turned off this feature and even angrier that they didn't inform the customers that they were doing so.  I thought my box or remote didn't work anymore,  It's upsetting that I had to go online and SEARCH to find out that Xfinity had randomly deactivated this feature.  What POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Regular Visitor

Why does this answer say that the function of the "B" button will be changing instead of just saying that it will be DEACTIVATED in the future? That reply from Xfinitiy was just a month ago.

New Poster

I have always used my PIP function on the remote using the B button. I am very disappointed in Comcast for removing this feature (for "lack of use"?). Even more disappointed that Comcast didn't inform us of the changes ahead of time. This makes me want to consider moving to a different cable provider.

New Poster

I can't help but wonder what Comcast was thinking (or the user forum if they in fact had any input) when they removed the B button PIP function? Every other cable / satellite provider has this function, generally on an automatic basis without the need to push a button, so to think that customers want to do without this useful function is ridiculous.

BRING IT BACK NOW!!!!

New Poster

Please bring back b button Pip

add feature of "back 30 seconds" too

New Poster

My remote B button is not working anymore to display the video window when browsing the menus. I read it is because they have plans to use the B button for something else. I have no idea what their new plans are for the B button, but in my opinion nothing could possibly be a better function than being able to browse through the menus and still see what is on in the background. I have found it is incredibly annoying not to be able to see, now that we can't. I am a big browser of current and future guide programs, of movies or tv on demand, and even other features usually, but now browsing on xfinity has become no fun. I usually end up switching to Prime or Netflix. Bad choice of buttons to take away Xfinity.
New Poster

Lack of use? You can't be serious. I never browse my menus without it. The lack of use is most likely from all the customers who have no idea what the function of the B button is! People have to investigate its function to know what it's for, Xfinity doesn't go out of its way to be sure their customers are aware that they can have this video displayed while browsing menus. Most people don't take the time or just care enough about those extra features, and those same people will not care what the new use you have in store for the button will be! If you absolutely needed to use a function button for this new feature why not use the A button, since those help contents can also be accessed by hitting the red Xfinity button too. Why do the help features get 2 buttons and you take away the video display feature completely?!? I have no idea what your new plans are for the B button, but nothing could possibly be a better function than being able to browse through the menus and still see what is playing in the background. I have found it is incredibly annoying not to be able to, now that we can't! I am a big browser of current and future guide programs, of movies or tv on demand, and even other features usually, but now browsing on xfinity has become no fun. I usually end up switching to Prime or Netflix. Bad choice of buttons to take away Xfinity. Very disappointing, and unprofessional on your part how you went about making this change.
Frequent Visitor

"we have no intention on bringing back the function of the B button at this time"

Talk about tone deaf!!! This is why I've had it up to HERE with monopolies. They've received "overwhelming" levels of outcry about this issue, but apparently we'll all get over it and keep giving Comcast our money.

SMDH

New Poster

Re: "B" remote button

I called the corporate office today 215-286-1700 and filed a complaint. She didn't seem a bit concerned. 

Official Employee
Moved:

Regular Contributor

Are there any technical people here? I'm wondering if the B button function was taking up too much bandwidth and that is why Comcast killed it!!? Creating a PIP must take up extra bandwidth and Comcast is trying to limit people who are using too much bandwidth.

New Poster

Please return the B button function in the next update. It was one of my most used special functions. I REALLY miss it!
Regular Visitor

I too spent time trying to figure out why the B button didn't work. I used it every day and can't imagine why anyone would think it was a good idea to take this feature away. Please bring it back soon. I miss it very much. 

Frequent Visitor

Yes what the heck is wrong with u ?! We all use that button every time we watch anything. It was one of the best things about X1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PUT IT BACK!!!!!!!!!

Frequent Visitor

Lack of use?? Bull!! Unless u enhance the former feature in some way I guarantee you now there will really b lack of use! Do us all and yourselves a favor and PUT IT BACK!!!!!!

Frequent Visitor

That's always been there and it's dogp__p. That's y I use the B button!

New Poster

Comcast has new decided to remove features from your system instead of enhancing what they offer.

After 3 separate phone calls to technical support lasting over 3 hours, I finally got a technician who told me that they have deleted the Picture-in-Picture feature that the "B" button brings up in their last firmware update.

I would like to complain about this but there isn't anyone at Comcast to complain to.  No one there knows what they are doing or why they are doing it.  I found this out in my 3 hours of being on the phone with them.

I consider this to be an excellent reason to move to another provider.