New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

X1 Shortcut button not working

Posted by
New Poster

Message 301 of 507

I was able to view picture-in- picture using the "B" button on my X1 remote while searching the on-screen guide up until last week. What happened? Was it discontinued by Xfinity and why?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 302 of 507

I am sick and tired of Comcast/XFinity making changes to the systems without notifying the customer, you guys just up and do it without warning! The "B" button is the latest screwup. I used that always as well as others so you guys can't say lack of use. Someone in corporate office decided that answer would appease us. WRONG!  The same with all the lineup changes and categories. You really have to search for your favorite channels now. While talking about buttons, how about "C" that takes you directly to sports and scores? WHO CARES! That button should be disconnected as well. From a family here that doesn't give 2 squats about sports on XFinity and the "C" button (I just found out what that was for in this forum and I have X1 for 2 years now and never pressed "C"), why not use it to go diectly to apps or Netflix, YouTube, etc? You can always access sports on the guide or wait and watch the news for scores. I am very displeased with this. Lately, X1 service has been crappy, lots of video drop outs, pixelations on the screen, audio drop outs, system outtages, etc. For the price we pay for that service, you'd think it would be flawless to an extent. No notification on the "B" button, but miss a payment date by 1 day and we get texts, phonecalls, and emails. Give what the customer wants for the price, not what you people want! We keep you working, not vice-versa. $259/month for inferior XFinity service is not ideal for what we get, in this household especially.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 303 of 507

You can't.  It's been removed.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-Shortcut-button-not-working/m-p/2936568#M132452

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 304 of 507

It's been removed.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-Shortcut-button-not-working/m-p/2936568#M132452

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 305 of 507

It's been removed.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 306 of 507

Until recently, when I was in the guide and hit the B button, I got a screen in the bottom right corner with the TV picture.  This no longer works.  What is problem or has this option been eliminated?

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 307 of 507

Hi, all of a sudden, the B button on both of my remotes isn't working. They used to work fine. It used to allow me to continue to watch a program in the lower right corner of the screen, while viewing the guide. All other fetures are working fine. Any thoughts?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 308 of 507

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 309 of 507

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 310 of 507
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 311 of 507
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 312 of 507

Dear Mr. You Pay Too Much,
My name is Tracey with the Office of Tom Karinshak. I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced with the removal of the B Button function on the remote. We appreciate hearing any feedback from our customers in regards to their experience so the information can be reviewed and action can be taken, thus increasing our level of customer satisfaction. I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate department for further review and action. Thank you for taking the time to help us keep our commitment to quality customer care.

We also offer the option of viewing programming information from the Mini Guide, a streamlined version of the guide that displays on the right-hand side of the screen. To access the Mini Guide, press the right arrow button on the remote control.
Another alternative would be to adjust the Background Darkness Level of the guide to 1, which will make the guide more transparent, over Live TV. You may do this by going to Settings > Preferences > General > Background Darkness Level and set it to 1.
Thank you for your time, Mr. Kwasniewski. If you have any questions or concerns, please respond directly to this e-mail so we can immediately assist you. We truly value your business and thank you for choosing Comcast.
Sincerely,

Tracey W.
Office of Tom Karinshak
Sun – Thurs
8:15am to 4:45pm MST

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 313 of 507
I received much the same BS answer after writing to this Tom character. I had also asked if my bill will go down now so I was told absolutely not. No price reduction even though we've taken away this service. Ridiculous.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 314 of 507
Is there a way to see a small picture in the guide view?
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 315 of 507

It's good that we come together and share our problems and solutions on the forum but if we want change we have to post to the Xfinity facebook page and tweet to them.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 316 of 507
WindsurfMaui wrote:

It's good that we come together and share our problems and solutions on the forum but if we want change we have to post to the Xfinity facebook page and tweet to them.

Been there. Done that.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 317 of 507
Who do we contact to request that the B button feature be restored?
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 318 of 507

I received the same response, too. Initially.

As it didn't really respond to the specific things I mentioned in my feedback, though, I wrote back essentially (but nicely) saying that. I then received a more personal response which included this: "I understand how important this button is to an overwhelming amount of customers." The person who responded (it was same person both times) also said that submitting the feedback was the best way to go.

So, these are my takaways:

1) Whatever happens with our feedback on Comcast's end, at least we know that the office of the VP of customer satisfaction (I can't remember the formal title, but it's something like that) is aware of what we submit via that link I posted earlier.

2) This means that someone in a high level admin position is hearing the complaint. Again, whether he takes it seriously or not is out of our - and his staff's - control, but he could do something about it, whereas the customer service reps, employees who respond here, and technicians can't really do anything to change things.

3) Mr. Karinshak probably doesn't read the comments on this forum, but they're hearing the people submitting emails to his office. They've already had an overwhelming amount of complaints, and I expect it will continue to grow as more people realize that the B button was taken away permanently, and not just broken. 

So, I was first advised by an employee to use that link to submit feedback. The second email response I received seems to indicate that it really is the best way to make our voices heard.

I'm not planning on submitting a second letter, because I don't think there's a need to harrass anyone, but I do hope that people who haven't done so yet will add their voices to mine and the others who have already submitted feedback here: https://www.xfinity.com/Corporate/Customers/TomKCustCare.html

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 319 of 507

captbobbyc wrote:

While in the guide mode on the remote, button "B" doesn't bring up the small window of the channel you are presently watching.  Was working.

It's been removed.  Start with the firs post in this thread.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 320 of 507

It was NOT lack of use - We used the B Button all the time - and by the looks of it, so did quite a few other folks.  It should be Standard when scrolling through the GUIDE, etc.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 321 of 507

Ford Motor Company develops the Edsel

Coca Cola develops "New Coke"

Delorean builds the DMC-12

Ford motor company develops the Pinto

General Motors develops the Corvair ("Unsafe at any Speed")

Burger King uses a guy in a creepy looking king mask to market their hamburgers

Volkswagen fiddles with their software so their cars will meet pollution standards ONLY during emissions test  

and the latest....

COMCAST removes the "B" PIP button feature from their TV Guide screen without even surveying their customers on its popularity

Mr. Karinshak ARE YOU LISTENING????

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 322 of 507

I have not seen anyone on this forum say that they like the B button disconnected.... Why not get it back working ASAP....

Posted by
New Poster

Message 323 of 507

I have both the Xfinity box and a smaller box for a second tv that gets just a few channels for about $5/month.

The B button doesn't work on the large Xfinity box as everyone has said, but the menu on my smaller box has the Picture In Picture in the upper left corner.

I guess for this function less $ gives more function.  Strange.

Bring it back to the big box too.

(Hopefully this comment won't prompt them to remove the fuction from the smaller box as well.)

Posted by
New Poster

Message 324 of 507

I'm wondering too about the remark from the Comcast employee, as to  how they know the "B" button wasn't being used much???  I used it all the time and i'm very frustrated that the PIP doesn't work now!!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 325 of 507

I used to be able to push the "B" button on my X1 Voice remote to show what was currently playing on the TV in a small screen at the lower right corner while I surfed the onscreen guide.  I can no longer make that happen, even with a new remote.  Any ideas why I can no longer do so??

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 326 of 507

Why does the 'B' button no longer work on my remote? It used to put a smaller screen on my tv.

Posted by
New Poster
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 327 of 507
I agree. One of the best tools for a guide channel surfer just ripped away. Bring it back Comcast bring it back.
Posted by
New Poster
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 328 of 507

I agree. One of the best tools for a guide channel surfer just ripped away. Bring it back Comcast bring it back.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 329 of 507

Posted by
New Poster

Message 330 of 507

Posted by
New Poster

Message 331 of 507

Posted by
New Poster

Message 332 of 507

Posted by
New Poster

Message 333 of 507
Posted by
New Poster

Message 334 of 507

Thanks for the workaround,

I agree, I liked the full functionality of the B button but I also like this workaround until Comcast returns the B button to full use again if they come to their senses. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 335 of 507
Researching what happened to the B button and came across this forum.

The PIP was a great feature for surfers and access to much more info than the mini guide. It sounds like Comcast failed to do their due diligence. This is unfortunate and let's hope that this very useful feature will resurface by someone at Comcast who is more in sync with the customer base.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 336 of 507

AshCat, while I agree that the PIP function of the B button is soreley missed, I have to disagree with you about the C button for sports scores. While it may not be important to you and your family, it's a really usefull option for those of us avid sports fans who like to keep up on the latest scores. I don't kow why Comcast doesn't just offer a selection of 5-10 options and let us choose which options we want for the BCD buttons and make them programmable?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 337 of 507

I sent a message to Mr. Karinshak.  Thank you for posting the link.  The last thing I want to do is spend forever on the phone with comcast.   I hope our complaints make a difference.  I really do not understand why they would remove a function and not even have something else in place!  It is a very dumb customer support move. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 338 of 507

Why did Comcast disable the B button on the remote control.  I used it all the time-what could it cost to leave it there??

Posted by
New Poster

Message 339 of 507

I called Comcast they disabled it,

No reason was given.  Bad decision.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 340 of 507
I only lost the B button. My A, C, and D are still functional.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 341 of 507
This was a very useful function
Please bring it back ASAP!!!
Firmware update was downgrade with respect to this fuction
. . .please also discontinue ads on guide, detrimental to X1 functionality
(Maybe Dish network not so bad???)
Posted by
New Poster

Message 342 of 507

I agree with everyone who uses these short cuts expecially "B".  Like most, I thought there was something wrong with my remote or TV and could not find any information until I found this form.  It would have been a great service to its customers if Comcast sent out a notice.  Since they were easily able to remove the "B" function, they could have easily reprogramed the remote so when people pushed the "B" function it could be displayed on the TV "There is nothing wrong with your TV/Remote, we just decided to eleminate this function."  or something like that.  I hope they do decide to bring it back or move that function somewhere else on the remote.  I would not be suprised if somewhere in our bill we are being charged for these shortcuts, and in the near future, we will have to pay some addition charge to be able to use them.  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 343 of 507

Well, how about making sure that you pass on to your supervisor and that he/she passes on to theirs that this was one of the most useful features on the remote and to please bring it back and to make sure that in the future that the powers to be get real feedback before making such a boneheaded decision.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 344 of 507

ComcastAndrew has stated that the B button will be used in the future for something else which should have been determined prior to removing it.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 345 of 507

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-Shortcut-button-not-working/m-p/2936478#M132640

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 346 of 507
The problem here is...

The B function is gone and it appears that Comcast is replacing it with a "notification" function which probably has something to do with home security.

At least for me the problem is that I can't stand X1 "notifications". I have them turned off 110% of the time.

Personally I think Comcast could be have and should have handled this transition much better. Users should have had far more input and choices in regards to this issue.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 347 of 507

'B' button on X1 remote no longer works. Only he A and C work.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 348 of 507
Just another example of a monopoly at work. The beat goes on for Comcast's total lack of respect for the people who are saddled with an over bloated mega corp who's only goal in life is the bottom line and th<br>e consumer who without us there would be no mega corporation be dam_ed. &lt;br&gt; The reason tech-support etc. can be so unwilling to help or nasty is because of all the frustrated customers who put up with the garbage from Comcast, as one person put it, "pay more and get less".
Posted by
New Poster

Message 349 of 507
I too spent hours trying to reset remote and changing batteries. Then I went to Comcast store and got a new remote. Then I called Comcast to ask why it doesn't work. Look how much time I wasted and wasted there time by not informing us.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 350 of 507

I am a long time customer of comcast that would have used the B button if I knew what its function was.  When I first got this remote, the letter buttons had no function at all.  So they silently added functionality, then silently took it away because few used it.

Well, few knew about it.  If a button on something you handle every day has no function, why would you ever push it again?  See the problem?  And now you have reintroduced the problem by giving the button NULL function again, which will poison any research on whatever new function it gets.  The only people that will discover the new function are those that stumble upon it(few), unless the feature is promoted in advertising, screensaver announcements, and in guide messages for quite some time.

The current alternate means of achieving similar functionallity fail because they do not satisfy the primary use case.  The primary use case, is to immediately respond to programming advertisements without missing the current show.  An acceptable alternative for previous B button functionality would be to display a list of the most recently viewed programming advertisements with options for each to set recording, or set reminder.  However it must be acompanied by a simultaneous clear view of the current show, because often the person with the remote is not the only viewer.  The one with the remote is concerned about catching that new show before they forget about it.  The rest of the people in the room are just concerned about not missing a critical moment in the show they are watching.  This function would benefit users, network advertisers, and Comcast by being the first to innovate.  Please consider it.

The current alternatives, namely; right arrow button and background darkness level fail for these reasons.

• Right arrow button, displays clear program view, but does not allow finding future programs which is the primary purpose of the guide, planning future viewing.
  • Background darkness level allows finding future programs, but does not offer a clear program view.  It could be satisfactory if the darkness level could be adjusted down to 0(transparent) so that a person could actually see the program behind the text of the guide.  Humans have a remarkable ability to interpret text with several obscured letters, which would occasionally happen with transparent guide background. But that is preferable to missing critical plot points in the current show. Two or three additional levels between current 1 and '0' would be useful, while a few levels between current 11(opaque) and 1 would not be missed.
    While the entire screen picture provided by this solution would be preferred by many, others prefer a completely unobstructed view of the current show regardless of display size.  

I see no downside to implementing both the improved background darkness levels and the above described auto programming search as a replacement for either former B button functionality or the right arrow mini guide which is practically useless.

The mini guide suffers as channel lineup grows: where the programming you want to see is very unlikely to be numerically close to your current channel number.

I put quite a bit of effort into these comments, so I would appreciate any feedback from fellow customers, or Comcast execs that might see this.

Dustin Maki