Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

X1 Shortcut button not working

Contributor

Re: Remote features using ABCD buttons

I find it hard to believe it was removed for lack of use, how else can you browse the guide and continue to watch your show? It is my favorite thing if i had to pick one feature of the remote.

New Poster

Re: "B" button on X1 remote not working

It probably wansn't used because people didnt know about it.  If they did, they would use it all the time like I do and all of the other people who are writing on this post.  Bad move to take it away.  Not customer focused at all.

New Poster

This is crazy.  Comcast, can you see how many people are upset?  And these are just the ones who have found this forum.  BRING IT BAAAAAAACK! 

New Poster

Re: X1 Shortcut button not working

I am so happy I found this thread! We are furious the B button disappeared, that functionality is very useful. How do you get your data? Spying on remotes? The power button is also not used that much! Bring B button back, please!!! BRING IT BACK!
Frequent Visitor

I agree!!!!!

New Poster

Why would Comcast take this function away. I use it all the time. Bring it back. Why do the tech people always change things we don't like. Was it that big a deal to keep this function and why didn't you ask users what we thought of this decision. Bring it back.

New Poster

WE, TOO, USE THE "B" BUTTON. WE WANT IT BACK LIKE THE REST OF THE OTHERS.

THANK YOU

New Poster

Couldn't agree more with all of the commenters voicing their opinion to bring the "b" shortcut button back. As one person that was an IT exec stated - you always add not remove functionality. I can't believe this capability interfered with any code
Upgrade you guys did and with a forced daily upgrade on every customer's system there has to be an easy way to write code including it yet again. If your Dev teams need help with this you can contract the best software build team on the planet in "Pivotal" - get PCF going and get the B shortcut back again boys.
Regular Visitor

Re: "B" remote button

Blame it on an update? That was a down date!! I just got off the phone with tech support and they didn't even know the feature was removed! Prices go up, service goes down! Most live techs you speak with, especially billing, always have an attitude and they really don't care what happens. It is always: I don't have the authority. Well, someone does. They need better listening skills. The customers make them or break them! Bring back the buttons, PIP!!!! If you buy a smart TV, don't get Comcast for it.

New Poster

the B button feature is very useful and i would like it to be restored........

Administrator
Administrator

All,

We apologize for the inconvenience. The B button functionality has been removed for the X1 remotes, which allowed X1 users to view video while navigating the guide menu. 

In addition to the main guide grid, XFINITY X1 offers the option of viewing programming information from the Mini Guide, a streamlined version of the guide that displays on the right-hand side of your screen. While in the mini guide, if you select the right arrow button on the remote, you will be able to see additional programs by channel. You can use the page down button, or down arrow to see future programs by date – this allows you to see 14 days of programming as well, similar to the Guide View. For more details, please see https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-guide-how-to-navigate-in-the-mini-guide/.

Another alternative would be to adjust the Background Darkness Level of the Guide, to 1, which will make the guide a more transparent overlay to Live TV. Customers can go to Settings->Preferences->General->Background Darkness Level and set it to 1. For more details, please see https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-background-darkness-level/.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Please post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Regular Visitor

I tried and don't like the mini guide. The B button allowed full guide with the current show in a small box in the lower right corner.

Judging by the comments here, I am not alone. Why not just reactivate the B button instead of giving us less desirable workarounds?

Just admit it was a mistake and reactivate it
Problem Solver

I think Comcast made a mistake too.

Pleasssssssse bring back the "B" button !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most Valued Poster

I'm sure Xfinity understands the rule of thumb that for every customer who posts a request to bring back the B button on this forum there are 1000 other customers who agree and want the B button back but don't have time or knowledge about the forum  to write in. In my previous service industry life the rule of thumb was for ever phone call complaint there was 10 other customers who were unhappy but didn't call, and for every letter complaint there were 1000 other customers who had similar unhappiness.

Regular Visitor

b key not working

what happened to the B key feature on X1 remote   no longer working ?

New Poster

Remote Device functions

Why did xfinity take away the "B" function on the remote? The function that allowed you to see your current channel in a small box in the lower right when you were searching on your guide. This was one of the most useful functions Xfinity offered on their system.

New Poster

Remote Device functions.

Why did xfinity take away the "B" function on the remote? The function that allowed you to see your current channel in a small box in the lower right when you were searching on your guide. This was one of the most useful functions Xfinity offered on their system.

Regular Contributor

Re: Remote Device functions.

Another vote to get B back. The alternatives (mini guide and transparent guide) are very half-brained (preferred another term, but this works) substitutes. 

New Poster

Re: Remote Device functions.

While you're at bringing b button back ?!? also bring back the feature that showed the weather app by simply pressing the left arrow on the remote which upped and disappeared without notice as well.
New Poster

Can comcast please send another fix to re-enable the B button to revert it back to previous functionality at least until the new feature is released?
I suspect this was done to clear the function for the new feature so that no one complains during the new release. Getting the complaints out of the way now and not during the feature update. If the new B feature is that much better then the previous then revert it back and make the switch all at once.
We too use the B button or blue button on some remotes daily. As you see it is used more than you expected. Hopefully the replacement will carry an enhancement greater than the one it replaced? If not maybe choose another less used button.
New Poster

Can't believe they disabled it without notice. I did the same as others resetting the box. Having the PIP was useful. It prevented arguments too when wanting to view the guide during family members'shows lol! It is quite annoying not having it, I must have tried anyway 10 times a night hoping it was temporary.
Frequent Visitor

My family and I used it all the time, and by the comments here, we clearly weren't the only ones.

With the B button PIP, you could see what programs were coming up, which was helpful in case I wanted to tape something while watching a movie, etc. The new "mini guide" only shows EITHER 1) what's on now OR 2) what's coming up - but only one channel at a time. You cannot search by time/hour with it. In addition, now when I look through the guide or my recorded programs, the view is cluttered by the program running in the background. As such, the "mini guide" is NOT the same as the B button's PIP. It's nowhere near as useful, and we now have to either put our program on pause or wait for a commercial to see what we might want to watch or tape after the program we're watching is over.

This was a terrible, short-sighted decision by Comcast...

Regular Visitor

Re: "B" remote button

The "B" button was very useful and often used. The decision to remove it was ill-advised and should be immediately reversed. Price and service / value are moving in opposite directions - other options are looking better all the time.
New Poster

The B button may not be so useful on smaller screens. That would maybe be a good reason to rethink the B button's function. Perhaps the PIP size could be scalable with repeated presses of the B button. Perhaps the B button's function could have been left intact until its replacement was released, and then users could be given a choice of which function to keep, the old one or the new one. A final suggestion would be to have a popup message saying "The B button has been temporarily disabled pending further system updates" every time a user pressed the B button. This would have saved a lot of time for all.

I like Comcast. I have always gotten great service at my Comcast office down the street. I sometimes have gotten rather spotty service with lower level reps, but some of that is unavoidable I think. So, thanks Comcast, and I hope some of my feedback will help you.

Frequent Visitor

So someone with a smaller screen could use the new mini guide, and the rest of us could still use the B button. That would maximize customer happiness, but Comcast obviously chose to go in another direction - including taking something away before the replacement was ready (throwing "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" under the bus in doing so.)

New Poster

I agree, bring back the B button. Our family uses it all the time. Comcast, you need to listen to your customers.
New Poster

I am not understanding why you would inactivate the B button to see the preview screen while searching the guide.  Please advise.

New Poster

Thanks for the info.  I think the "workaround" you noted is a good alternative.  

New Poster

Bring back the B button.  Comcast did you bother to ask users if we used it!!????  How do you know if it wasn't used.  Apparently, from these posts, we do!

Regular Visitor

Comcast does what they do because they are too big for their britches! And, at the customers expense! Who in the H asked for a mini guide? Someone sitting at the gold table at their meeting?
New Poster

Remote buttons

Why did someone decide I don't get to use the "b" and "c" buttons on my xfinity remote!!!  Bad decision!!  We used them all the time.  What difference does it make to keep them?  Very disappointed!!!!!!!!!

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Remote buttons

Lookie here: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-Shortcut-button-not-working/td-p/2936568

It still astounds me how few people read in this forum before they post...

Madbarbie wrote:

Why did someone decide I don't get to use the "b" and "c" buttons on my xfinity remote!!!  Bad decision!!  We used them all the time.  What difference does it make to keep them?  Very disappointed!!!!!!!!!

New Poster

We use the B button often.  Xfiniti should not remove features its users are paying unless they are replaced with better features.

New Poster

Lack of use?? I for one used it daily.. so why take it away completely and leave the button blank if it isn't even replaced with a better option at this time? Comcast you keep going down hill..
New Poster

Why was the B button discontinued>

Bring back the B button.

New Poster

Re: b key not working

comcast tec said not enough people were using it. But thats because most people didnt know it was there.

Frequent Visitor

I sent a comment to Tom Karinshak's office through the Xfinity website regarding this issue. In response (not from Tom) I was told that they understand how important this button is to "an overwhelming amount of customers." Of course, that was preceded by saying that they didn't believe that the B button/PIP function was removed due to a lack of use, which would make the overwhelming popularity of that function moot. They said they didn't have any additional details as to why it was removed.

But still, why remove something so overwhelmingly popular when it's... you know... overwhelmingly popular?

New Poster

Why take this away? Not a good idea. Please bring it back.

New Poster

WHO wasn't using the "B" button. I used it all the time on both of my boxes. By all of the posts I would think I'm not the only one perturbed by this change. Put this feature back in operation. I consider this a breach of contract.

Reinstate the B button!!!!!

New Poster

By all means, let's give the customer LESS. That's the path to growth and success.

I was convinced I had simply punched the B button into unconsciousness from overuse the last year and a half, only to find out the  mother ship pulled the plug on it.

Unbelievable.

But if you were looking for a way to give Verizon a hand up, then 'well done'. 

Frequent Visitor

I used the B button all the time, too. I hope if Comcast doesn't restore the B buttom ability to toggle PIP, they will at least make PIP a default display in the guide mode. However, it would cover over the part of the guide display that gives the time/channel, which is also useful info. This was a backward step in features...please restore the B button as a PIP toggle! Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

Exactly...when I am watching a show and see previews of an upcoming show, or even a promo for an entirely different show, the B button allowed me to go to the full guide, toggle on PIP, and move forward in the guide to set a recording for the next week. The mini-guide does not permit this, at least not easily. PLEASE restore the PIP function to the B button!

New Poster

How does this work? When I am in the guide and press the forward button all it does is move through the guide.   ... update..never mind. I figured it out but it isn'the anywhere near the same as the B button.  

Frequent Visitor

Moving around in the mini-guide is TEDIOUS...the full screen guide is much preferred. I don't use the full guide only to see what is on, I use it frequently to read the program info for a show in the upcoming week and/or to set recordings for future days. That means I display the full guide for a fairly long time while I perform these functions...thus, the PIP is important if I don't want to miss the show I am currently watching.

It's also valuable to have PIP remain a toggle rather than a setting because the PIP hides program info that is also useful.

Finally, switching transparency to 1 might allow seeing the guide, but it would be hard on the eyes. Also, I keep my setting at 11 for that because that high setting makes it easier for my old aged eyes to read what is on the screen throughout the X1 features.

My suggestion: If Comcast needs one of the buttons freed up, try removing the A button's quick access to help. That is not something users access every day, all day like the B button PIP function. If I need to go to X1 help, I would be fine with having to use the gear icon to find it when I need it.

BTW, I, too, spent half an hour going through reset/refresh trying to get the B button function back. And at the same time, it seems the left arrow display of notifications stopped working...at least it did for me. I can no longer view recent caller ID on that screen.

New Poster

Re: b key not working

That is what I was told as well by tech support but they were not even aware it had been removed until I asked. We spent about 15 minutes talking, resetting my box, etc., then they searched for info and finally found the message that said it had been discontinued due to lack of use.  You would think they would at least tell there tech support people about it and warn them they might be getting a ton of calls about it.  

New Poster

How does Comcast know whether a specific button is used by customers? Is Comcast invading it's customers privacy and monitoring viewing habits of customers? Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. This button was extremely useful and obviously used by many customers. Get it together Comcast!
Frequent Visitor

I used the B button every time I used the guide. I do not like the short guide displayed by the right arrow. How comcast thought it customers were not using is beyond me. My bill goes up, pay more for less channels & something I used all the time is gone. Streaming is looking better and better
Regular Visitor

1.  Discontinuing a function without warning is terrible customer service.

2.  Lack of use is disingenuous.  I do not know anyone who does not use the B button if they are aware it exists.  If you want to discontinue something for lack of use the A and C buttons would go first!

New Poster

I switched to X1 from Direct TV. This was a mistake. Little things like PIP when using the guide is a big deal. I have a one year contract with X1, will review my options in one year.

Gold Problem Solver

grthesuperstar,

The X1 guide is cloud based. Every button pressed on an X1 remote is going back and forth on the cloud. Comcast can and probably is collecting information on every single button press on an X1 remote from every single customer.

Too make matters more interesting, I suspect not only are they collecting the information, they are most likely selling it to others.