New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

X1 Shortcut button not working

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 501 of 556

Any idea when they are finally going to start using it for something?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 502 of 556

WindsurfMaui wrote:

Any idea when they are finally going to start using it for something?

No clue - yet.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 503 of 556

We used that pip b button all the time and now our viewing is not worth the money we are spending and we are very frustrated now.So very disapointed. We want the pip b button BACK! WE have been having many problems this September with x-1 box not recording or show right. They are digitally broke up. Seems Comcast is always updating some failed program.

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 504 of 556
11 pages of replies from dissatisfied customers all frequent users of the B PIP function. Still this much used function remains missing. Maybe my voice will be the one Comcast listens to! Put it back! This reminds me of New Coke! The feature is one I used every time I watched TV. Just like all of the other customers you are not listening to!
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 505 of 556

Recently had to exchange my old DVR for an X1 box.  Mostly loving it, except for the guide.  With the X1 guide, I can't see the show playing in the background at all.  I miss the picture-in-picture of the old DVR.

Is there a setting somewhere that will alow me to view the guide, and still have the show play in a small box in the corner?  Found a video on YouTube that showed the blue "B" button did this, but the "B" button on the XR11 remote doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 506 of 556

Well the management doesn't really take feedback from the forum. It is for customers to find solutions. If you want to communicate with the management you should tweet, post on Facebook and write the management directly with snail mail. Unfortunately that is the only way to get their attention.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 507 of 556

So today I discovered that the B button now brings up the accessibility options menu (for setting such things as closed captions). This makes no sense to me. I am one who uses the closed captions regularly, and I already can quickly toggle closed captioning (and other accessibility options) on and off just by pressing the down arrow and then "OK"...I do this numerous times a day because I want the captions on the screen while I am watching live or on-demand programs, but I want the captions turned off while I am viewing the guide (because the closed caption text covers what I want to read on the guide). Why would I want to bring up the entire settings menu when I already have the ability to toggle those accessibility features on and off with two quick presses on the down arrow button? What I REALLY want is to be able to continue watching my show while I am viewing the grid guide...without the PIP, I just don't get good use of the grid guide to view and set recordings for future shows.

If I want to make more permanent changes in accessibility options, I know I can just go to the settings icon and locate the accessibility menu. It's a total waste to use the B shortcut button to bring that whole menu up when I am not likely to need access to that menu on a regular basis. The A-B-C-D shortcut buttons should be used for functions the user will use on a regular basis--like multiple times each day/week. PLEASE put the PIP back on the B button!  I get the sense that these changes are being decided upon by people who don't know the full details of what was already available on the X1 remote!

I also don't like that the notifications area (left arrow on the remote) no longer lists my most recent caller ID activity...that was so helpful, especially to someone like me who has vision limitations.

I am a customer who appreciates so much of what Xfinity-Comcast offers...I love the Xfinity Stream app on my iPad, and I enjoy most things about the X1 platform. It does not promote customer good will to take away useful features...tying the B button to something that was already easily accessible while refusing to restore the PIP feature that was standard on the old platform prior to introducing X1 just makes me shake my head. Does Xfinity-Comcast want customers to be impressed with their offering? Taking away popular/useful features is more likely to make them feel that good will is not really a company goal.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 508 of 556

I want my gosh darned b button function back as well! I used it alls the time too! Like others, thought mine might be broken. Had to waste time looking this up! Give it back!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 509 of 556

I've lost my use of the "B" button on the remote for picture-in-picture when I'm using the guide, etc.  Any clues on how to get it back?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 510 of 556
Bring back the B shortcut key Or give us a picture view when using the guide!!!!
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 511 of 556

The answer is in the first page of this thread.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 512 of 556

HEY COMCAST!!  I KNOW,  ALL THE LETTERS ARE CAPS - IT'S BECAUSE I'M YELLING AT YOU!  I'VE SENT OTHER MESSAGES ABOUT THIS ISSUE (THE "B" BUTTON - PIP IN THE CORNER WHEN USING THE GUIDE, AMONG OTHER THINGS).  I'VE READ HUNDREDS, IF NOT THOUSANDS OF MESSAGES FROM YOUR CUSTOMERS, WHO ALL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM - THE B BUTTON IS MISSING!!  YOUR RESPONSE WAS LACK OF USE - BS, WITH THAT MANY COMPLAINTS, I DON'T THINK IT WASN'T BEING USED - JUST THE OPPOSITE.  I'VE TOLD YOU  THIS BEFORE - YOU ARE A TECH COMPANY, YOU DON'T REMOVE FEATURES THAT CAME WITH THE BOX - YOU ONLY ADD FEATURES.  SPEAKING OF ADDING FEATURES - THAT LITTLE BLUE BALL THAT HOVERS OVER THE SCREEN WHEN YOU ARE SCROLLING - IS TOTALLY ANNOYING!  NOW ON TOP OF EVERYTHING ELSE, YOU HAVE REPLACED THE "B" BUTTON WITH "ACCESSIBILITY SETTINGS".  THIS FEATURE IS ALREADY IN SETTINGS - WE DON'T NEED IT TWICE!  

WHY ARE YOU BEING SO LAME ON THIS SUBJECT?

THANKS!  

ROB/SEATTLE 

MAKE YOUR CUSTOMERS HAPPY - BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL "B" BUTTON - PLEASE!!!!!!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 513 of 556
Posted by
New Poster

Message 514 of 556

B button was very useful. 

B button was very useful.  Did not even give a warning that it would be disabled.

I find it hard to believe that it was under used.  Let's be honest, Comcast is just

not customer oriented.  What is replacing the B button ?  Someting in the future

not yet determined.  What ?  When you determine what will replace it, then you

disable it.  Comcast just done not care.  They realize they have a hostage base

of customers.  Comcast is aware that Direct TV and Dish are not on the same

level as Comcast.  They gave us what we wanted and now they can do what

they please.  Really, how many people actually leave Comcast ?  They drew

us in and now we are caught in their web.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 515 of 556

remote:

The B button has stopped working. Is there a way to correct this?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 516 of 556

Message removed by poster

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 517 of 556

We don't need the B button to bring up accessibilty options for captioning.I just use the down arrow for captioning. The button putting up  a video window was much more useful. For once and for better customer relations as deemed by Comcast's Vice President of consumer satisfaction why doesn't Comcast for once as a show of good faith start a survey to see what your customers actually want for the function of the B button. What a wonderful way to show that Comcast really cares about customer satisfaction and that the new Vice President really means what he says and is not just giving us all Lip Service.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 518 of 556

jjtorey wrote:

remote:

The B button has stopped working. Is there a way to correct this?

Hi, I moved your post to the B-button mega-thread. The button is now assigned to bring up the Accessibility Settings menu.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 519 of 556

All - thanks for the comments and feedback here.

XFINITY X1 Remotes – B Button Now Serving as Accessibility Shortcut

Effective this week, XFINITY X1 customers can now use the B key on their X1 remote control to easily access the Accessibility Settings menu.

Today, approximately two million customers use Closed Captioning and/or Voice Guidance. XFINITY customers with disabilities, as well as those who speak English as a second language, kids, seniors and all others who rely on the Accessibility menu can now get there faster and more easily. In the Accessibility menu, you’ll find Closed Captioning, Video Description, Voice Guidance and Enhanced Text Readability options.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 520 of 556

corgi11 wrote:

We don't need the B button to bring up accessibilty options for captioning.I just use the down arrow for captioning. The button putting up  a video window was much more useful. For once and for better customer relations as deemed by Comcast's Vice President of consumer satisfaction why doesn't Comcast for once as a show of good faith start a survey to see what your customers actually want for the function of the B button. What a wonderful way to show that Comcast really cares about customer satisfaction and that the new Vice President really means what he says and is not just giving us all Lip Service.

Moved your post here again. The Comcast Official Employees are monitoring this thread for the B-button comments. no need to open new threads.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 521 of 556

If I press the right arrow button, does that not do the same thing as the B button did?  Sorry for my ignorance as I never used it.  Any screen shots available?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 522 of 556

Fred46 wrote:

If I press the right arrow button, does that not do the same thing as the B button did?  Sorry for my ignorance as I never used it.  Any screen shots available?

No when you use the B button when you are in the TV guide, search or the list of recording brings up a picture in picture (PIP) in the lower right corner of the screen so you could keep an eye on the show/game etc while you did your search, etc. Hitting the right arrow opens a panel on the right side of the screen and lists the current TV show on a scrollable list. Not the same and not as helpful when wanting to surf through the TV guide and still keep an eye on the show.

As of tonight I see if you hit the B button it takes you into settings. A totally waste of the function. Getting into settings isn't that hard so using the B button for it is a waste.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 523 of 556

Thanks Comcast for now giving us yet another way to manage the Accessibility Settings. It wasn’t simple enough to press the Down arrow button to access those features and make instant changes? Or was it that that feature was not well documented? So now 2 million disabled users, myself included - a 100% Disabled Vet, has lost the use of the “B Button’s” original, useful function, displaying the current picture while viewing the Guide with no hint of a plan to reinstate that function in any form be it through a button or System Setting.

From what you have stated in your announcement you obviously keep statistics and do some form of data mining and are attempting to use this forum to determine what users/paying customers want to see in the product they are paying for. But it seems that you are neglecting the voice of the customer. Did you actually do any polling to determine the usage statistics of the “B Button” in its former configuration? What percentage of customers used this feature or how many? Since there was already an expeditious means to manage the Accessibility Settings what prompted the reassignment to the “B Button”, denying paying customers this facile manner of scanning the Guide while continuing to watch live TV?

As a Premium Customer with the X1 DVR Anyroom Triple Play package paying $$ every month, it would seem that my voice, as well as those of my fellow subscribers, it would be of vital importance as we fund these seemingly whimsical changes Comcast makes. As a Sr Software Engineer I was trained to monitor my customer’s needs and react according to their desires to make the product customer-friendly as well as to meet their expectations of what the requirements of the system are.
Comcast, we need a little less single-sightedness and a lot more Customer interaction, feedback and attention to our demands.

🇺🇸✝️ V/R, Eddie
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 524 of 556
Personally I think this is all bologna. They could have kept the B button as it was then added the accessibility functions to the D button...
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 525 of 556

RickGr4 wrote:
Personally I think this is all bologna. They could have kept the B button as it was then added the accessibility functions to the D button...

I agree. I don't know why they think getting to settings is such a big deal . The PIP was an added feature that you can't get to any other way. Getting to settings a half second faster isn't a feature.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 526 of 556

we can hope the B button 'function' of PIP will return in a permanent option in Comcast Labs soon. (fingers crossed)

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 527 of 556

The Mini Guide is terrible and no replacement for the PIP of using the "B" button. Please bring back the "B" button function.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 528 of 556

The guide screen B button for PIP doesn't work any more. I tried a reset, but it didn't work. How can I fix it?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 529 of 556
I am very curious HOW Comcast got the information regarding button B usage? How exactly was that information obtained? Over what period of time? What notigication was I given as a customer that Comcadt was looking at what we do INSIDE our homes? Who validated the results were legitimate? What else are they creeping on that we as customers do not know about? Are they selling my infotmation too? To whom?
Posted by
New Poster

Message 530 of 556
Another option for PIP with guide. You can press the right arrow button and get a mini guide on the side. Make sure you have in settings -preferences -general -mini guide over video- off. You get a much larger picture with your guide. Press right arrow again on a channel for the channel guide(upcoming shows. Left arrow to go back and info to get more details on program and set recordings. At that point Last button to take you back to the mini guide. It's not perfect as it only shows what's on now and you can only see future listings one channel at a time, but for a quick look it's better than nothing.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 531 of 556

Megascribe wrote:

The guide screen B button for PIP doesn't work any more. I tried a reset, but it didn't work. How can I fix it?

You can't - it brings up Settings now.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 532 of 556
Seriously guys. This was a huge reason i switched to X1 and didnt leave for CenturyLink. Please? Pretty please.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 533 of 556

Why is the B button not working?  I used it all the time.  I want it to be returned.  I don't know how anybody determined "lack of use."  Let me know please.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 534 of 556

Yes, I agree.  Return the B button.  As you can see, customers use it, including me.  Why would you remove one of the better features?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 535 of 556

How about posting the name of the individual who decided to get rid of the 'B' button.  

I bet it was someone out of the USA.  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 536 of 556

vegas2 wrote:

How about posting the name of the individual who decided to get rid of the 'B' button.  

I bet it was someone out of the USA.  

I'm sure it was a committee decision. It reeks  of being a committee decision. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 537 of 556

The B button on my remote doesn't work anymore. Got a new remote and still doesn't work.Everything else works fine.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 538 of 556
I used it every single day 😤
Posted by
New Poster

Message 539 of 556

beyond ridiculous, i have been super annoyed that this feature dissapeared... i used it all the time, bring it back

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 540 of 556

dorcar wrote:

The B button on my remote doesn't work anymore. Got a new remote and still doesn't work.Everything else works fine.

It provides a different function now.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 541 of 556

Now that Comcast has assigned the B button to another function I think this issue is pretty much closed. Too bad I think it was a mistake that was easily avoidable by asking us first. Comcast seems to lack an ability to ask it's customers opinions.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 542 of 556

Not sure if this is a change related to the B button or not, but now on my XR11 remote, when video is playing, if I press the down arrow it no longer brings up the play/rewind/ff/close caption menu and the time bar. When the control menu is on screen, the up arrow no longer clears it. I always used to use up arrow to clear the screen, and down arrow+OK to turn on closed captions. Is anyone seeing this?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 543 of 556

Miss "B Button" function with video picture while in the "Guide Mode".  THAT WAS USEFUL!!!!!  NEW B BUTTON FEATURE IS NOT HELPFUL!!!!!!  GO BACK TO VIDEO FEATURE, please!!!!!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 544 of 556
I live in AnnArbor and the B button everyone is upset about was the D button on my remote,the B is accessible settings. So I would like my Guide picture in picture D button back I used it all the time.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 545 of 556
Yea, the new B button functionality is useless to me. I can’t believe they changed it. It was so convenient before...not anymore.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 546 of 556

An outrage.., why in the world would you do this.??!!  WE LOVED THIS Pip Feature aND SORELY MIS IT.. ur customer service ON THIS FRONT REALLY MISSED THE BOAT!  A show stopper for us and at contract re-up might not re-up....  time to cut the cable??  WE WASTED HRS LOOKING TO SOLVE IB BUTTON STOPPING TO SOW PIP...VERY BUMMED OUT!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 547 of 556

EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTED.. why in the world would you do this.??!!  WE LOVED this PIP feature & SORELY MISS IT.. ur customer service **or some one/s** on this front REALLY MISSED THE BOAT!  A show stopper for us and at contract re-up might not re-up....  time to cut the cable??  WE WASTED HRS LOOKING TO SOLVE B BUTTON no longer displaying PIP from GUIDE mode.. ...VERY BUMMED OUT!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 548 of 556
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 549 of 556

Obviously Comcast inserted a useless menu in this spot just to shut this board up. please put the B button functionality back somewhere, anywhere so we can use that picture in picture. it is ridiculous not being able to use it. come on Comcast ted, find somebody that will listen to you and put the functionality back. you can put it in any menu to save face.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 550 of 556

jtomenko wrote:

Obviously Comcast inserted a useless menu in this spot just to shut this board up. please put the B button functionality back somewhere, anywhere so we can use that picture in picture. it is ridiculous not being able to use it. come on Comcast ted, find somebody that will listen to you and put the functionality back. you can put it in any menu to save face.

My OPINION is that they had planned to use the B button for this function from the beginning.  It was not done to "shut this board up".  I'm surprised there have been 500+ posts to this thread when there are millions of X1 users.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon