New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

X1 Shortcut button not working

Posted by
Contributor

Message 9 of 388

The "B" shortcut button to display the smaller video window while on the menu page stopped working on our remote. How do I fix this? I tried resetting the system but that didn't work.

387 REPLIES
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 388

You sent an e mail telling us about ABCD Key uses, but no option to print them and ran it so fast it wasn't even possible read them fully as they flashed in front of us. That is frustrating and useless!

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 388

bullbuster77 wrote:

You sent an e mail telling us about ABCD Key uses, but no option to print them and ran it so fast it wasn't even possible read them fully as they flashed in front of us. That is frustrating and useless!

Here's a link for all button uses

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/get-to-know-xr11-remote/

The B button use will be changing in the future

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 3 of 388

As of today, the B button no longer works. It used to be very useful to view the current program while browsing the Guide. Why was this disabled?  Thank you.  

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 4 of 388

RangerWalker wrote:

As of today, the B button no longer works. It used to be very useful to view the current program while browsing the Guide. Why was this disabled?  Thank you.  

Lack of use, it's part of an upcoming update.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 5 of 388

Thank you. I found it very useful -  what may it do in the future?  

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 6 of 388

As far as I know, it hasn't been decided.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 7 of 388

ComcastAndrew wrote:

RangerWalker wrote:

Lack of use, it's part of an upcoming update.

just wondering, how do they know 'lack of use'? PIP is a great thing while in guide or list of recordings or etc.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 8 of 388

I agree - B was very useful.  I thought my remote wasn't working properly so I changed the batteries. Still didn't work.  I wish there was a way of communicating functionality changes. Hopefully the new B function will be equally useful.  I never use A, and C rarely.  B and D have been the useful ones. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 10 of 388

Curly wrote:

The "B" shortcut button to display the smaller video window while on the menu page stopped working on our remote. How do I fix this? I tried resetting the system but that didn't work.

on another X1 thread a Comcast employee said that the B button is going to be used for something else in the future and the old PIP was removed due to 'non-use' by customers. I asked how do they know we didn't use the button. I hope they don't suddenly decide D's function is not used enough.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 11 of 388

The "B"  button used to display the smaller video window while on the menu page stopped working on my X1 remote. How do I fix this? I tried resetting the system but that didn't work.  I have also increased the background darkness all the way to 11 and that didn't fix it.  I have also installed new batteries and that didn't fix the problem

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 12 of 388

That function was removed with the latest update. There's nothing wrong with your box or remote.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 13 of 388
I love that feature. Is there a way to rollback the update to restore that feature and then prevent future "improvements"?
Posted by
New Poster

Message 14 of 388
Can we get the B button function restored, please? We use it all the time. I hate the background of the channel when I am looking through the guide. It's much clearer with the B button enabled. Thank you for listening.
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on earning 5 kudos! Your great contributions have been much appreciated by the community.

Message 15 of 388
I'm with Rustyben... How does Xfinity know we were not using the "B" button shortcut? The PIP was used all the time in our household. And it looks like we're not the only one. I spent 15 minutes trouble shooting my remote until I saw this forum.
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on earning 5 kudos! Your great contributions have been much appreciated by the community.

Message 16 of 388

Obviously the programmers never asked the users.  We use it all the time.  Please bring the "B" button PIP back.  The button has no use now, so what is it going to hurt?  Listen to the Voice Of the Customer - BRING IT BACK

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 17 of 388

Are you insane?!?!?  I can't believe you removed functionality.  As a former IT exec, our company learned quickly you NEVER remove functionality, you always add.

How do you know no one is using it?  Does comcast monitor the remote usage from every customer?  Where is this data stored and who uses it?  We use this feature all the time.

Yet another billion dollar company that just doesn't get the customer.  Amazing world we live in now...

Posted by
New Poster

Message 18 of 388
I used this function everytime I used the guide. Now I can't see what I'm watching while I'm using the guide. Why is it necessary to remove a function when we're paying this amount of money for programming. Your company consistently keeps doing things that make me shop the competition. I almost changed companies a few months ago but one of your representatives fixed my issue. Why can't you just make it an option we can set up through a menu if your going to be using the B key for something else?
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 19 of 388

"Lack of Use"???  This is a stupid reason.  We use it all of the time as we are scrolling the Guide.  Allows us to see the show while checking out other favorite channels.  

And why just TURN IT OFF without notice or a message.  Makes people think that the remote is defective, the box is possibly on the fritz.  Stupid. 

When will the function be reactivated?  Typical Comcast "We're Large and In Charge and you'll just have to put up with crummy channel selection and scattered technology".

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 20 of 388

Then why in the world didn't Comcast leave it alone until the new application was decided.  People like the PIP option.  Stupid decision.  

And to not alert the users that it was going away.  Makes everyone think that something is wrong.  Wife was changing batteries thinking the remote was out of power.  

Going to look into more streaming options and getting rid of Xfinity.  

Posted by
New Poster

Message 21 of 388

There may be nothing wrong with the remote, but there is certainly something wrong with the decision to remove the b button. Please put the function back.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 22 of 388

I used that button frequently. Why remove it--and why not get feedback from your customers. I'm quite unhappy that this feature was removed. 

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 23 of 388
ComcastAndrew - please let the people who thought this was a good idea that it's not. I want my B button functionality back.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 24 of 388
Please restore the B button back so we can view the program were watching while viewing the guide.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 25 of 388
Well i guess i can remove some of my payment since Comcast doesn't need it.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 26 of 388

Bring back the B button!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 27 of 388
Why take one of the best features away this is not good
Posted by
New Poster

Message 28 of 388

For what its worth, I also used the B button to show the current channel  while surfing through the guide.

I spent a couple hours rebooting the box and checking my settings. You should have notified everyone prior to turning its functionality off. I  don't like not having  this feature anymore and hope you reconsider adding it back.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 29 of 388
I agree with all the posts--I use the "B" button everyday and want it's function back!
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 30 of 388

Wow, can't believe they removed that function. Searched the interwebs looking for why my "B" button no longer did anything and ended up here. Bring back the button please!!!!!

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 31 of 388

I used that function every day and I would really like to see it returned. It's almost like going out to my car and finding that GM came and took my spare tire because "I wasn't using it". Please stop making decisions for me without notifing me first.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 32 of 388
Bring back the "B" button!!..
Posted by
New Poster

Message 33 of 388
Please consider bringing the "B" PIP feature back.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 34 of 388

Please bring back b button pip function. We you it everyday when using the guide.. It is a great feature.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 35 of 388
It's decisions like this that will have me checking out Verison. We use the B button all the time, very stupid to get rid of it and not use the B button for anything else. Don't understand an update that makes your system less functional.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 36 of 388

ComcastAndrew is right.  There is nothing wrong with the remote or DVR.  The problem is Comast once again.  Don't ask your customers before making a change because, on top of everthing else, Xfinity is all knowing and knew that the B button wasn't being used.

Well I hope all the feedback you've received has at least hinted that maybe Xfinity isn't all knowing.

Please restore the B button PIP function.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 37 of 388

I also used the B button all the time.  My bill went up 6.00 but they took this feature away from me.  Infuriates me.  I loved that feature.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 38 of 388
Notice how silent Comcast has been since this thread got started?

I think an update to my Comcast plan may be in order as well.

What a boneheaded move to remove the B button functionality. It's what happens when you let the kids sit at the big table.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 39 of 388

Bring back the preview window within the Guide list using the B button!  Very unhappy that you discontinued that feature!  I use the preview window all of the time!  You guys got bad data about the preview feature not being used!

Highlighted
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 40 of 388
We may be spitting into the wind here, so I googled "comcast comments" and found a comment page on Comcast for Send Feedback to Tom, or something like that. I asked him to bring back the B button function. I'll search other means to complain as well.

The customer, who pays for Comcast, needs to be heard.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 41 of 388

Agreed, bring back B button PIP!!!  Tnx.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 42 of 388
Please put back button. It was a great feature. Wasted 20 mins thinking something was wrong with my setup. Always add but never take away unless doing a whole new system.

By the way, any update on 4 k programming
Posted by
New Poster

Message 43 of 388
I just spent 20 minutes resetting everything before I read this thread... Ridiculous ..I use the B button all the time...whi made this ridiculous decision to remove the function? Makes no sense and, of course, not posting a notification....
Posted by
New Poster

Message 44 of 388
Don't need the "B" button anymore. Use the Right direction arrow on the remote to take you to the guide AND keep the picture.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/keep-watching-your-show-while-browsing-the-guide-on-the-xfinity-x1-box/
Posted by
Contributor

Message 45 of 388
Bring this feature back!!!!!!!
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 46 of 388
Close but no cigar, mark4uth. Thanks for the info, but that's not what this B button user wants. When I hear about an upcoming show, with B button I could turn on the guide and scroll into next week to set that show to record AND continue watching my existing show. The current show showed in the lower right corner of the guide screen.

I want my B button back.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 47 of 388

My square "B" button on my remote no longer works? When you are in Guide opushing it puts a pop up window in the bottom right hand corner of the show you are currently watching. Itv worked and now it has stopped. I have checked out other TVs and it does not work on those remotes/TVs either. How do we get it back operational?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 48 of 388

Your post was removed to a secure, inaccessible location for a violation of Forum Guidelines [circumventing the language filters]. If you are not familiar with our Guidelines you may review them here.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 49 of 388

mark4uth wrote:
Don't need the "B" button anymore. Use the Right direction arrow on the remote to take you to the guide AND keep the picture.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/keep-watching-your-show-while-browsing-the-guide-on-the-xfinity-x1-box/

That CNet story is over 2 years old.  That method works for the mini guide.  Now, that's the feature that should have been removed.

I used the B button function often.  Comcast, when will you learn?  The reason you are not well liked is because of things like this.  Never remove a function, only add !

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 50 of 388

That's quite sad that Comcast thinks the users don't use that feature. It was a great feature and I hope this decision is reversed!!!