Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Problem Solver

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

This thread is specifically focused on X1 – Settings, Remotes & Equipment questions, suggestions or issues.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Accepted Solutions
Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

davidd6240 wrote:

Is there any way to advance a full day when on the Guide?

Thanks for your question, davidd6240. At this time, X1 does not have that features. However, that is a common request and on our backlog for future consideration.

In the meantime, a workaround for this is to use the Mini Guide's Channel Listing screen. You can get to this by pressing the Guide button once, finding the channel you want to see in the future, and hitting the right arrow [>] key. A list of everything airing on that channel in upcoming time slots will appear.  You can navigate this by using the down arrow key or the page down button.

When you find something you want to record, just hit the right arrow [>] key again and the info screen will display. You can set a recording from this screen or jump into more information about that show.

All Replies
New Poster

My remote is not working very well.  I think it is just getting old.  Does Comcast replace these?

Silver Problem Solver

so your x1 remote is old?  How is that possible the box just came out last month?

Frequent Visitor

I have the X1 connected via HDMI through my receiver, an Anthem MRX300 and it auto-detected 720P/Stereo vs 1080P (or 1080i)/Surround.

I have my reciever set to passthrough HDMI.  Manually changing these settings via the menu to 1080 and Surround solved my issue but I'm worried they might auto-revert as other people have reported.

Regular Contributor

Since we have started a new thread for just x1 hardware, let me renote some of my issues:

• We need an input key on the remote, so you don't need to keep a different remote around just to allow your kids to use their game platform or other inputs.
  • The fan noise from the X1 is reallly excessive. Its blowing a lot of air most of the time (even when not watching TV). I have it in the back of a well vented stereo cabinet, and I can still here the X1 box from 10 feet away, even when it is not being used.
New Poster

Hello. I just got my cable box reactivated, but the menu screen does not come up. It changes channels, but no numbers or menus come up on screen.
Regular Contributor

bradbortner wrote:

Since we have started a new thread for just x1 hardware, let me renote some of my issues:

• We need an input key on the remote, so you don't need to keep a different remote around just to allow your kids to use their game platform or other inputs.
  • The fan noise from the X1 is reallly excessive. Its blowing a lot of air most of the time (even when not watching TV). I have it in the back of a well vented stereo cabinet, and I can still here the X1 box from 10 feet away, even when it is not being used.

We have two:

- one in an open rack and I cannot hear it from 3 feet away - I have to really get close to it to hear the fan.

- the second one in a closed cabinet, not so well ventilated, and that one I don't hear unless I open the door and it is louder - can hear it from 6 feet away although I think some of that is resonance / projection from the cabinet.

At any rate, they don't seem terribly loud - not nearly as loud as our xbox 360 for example which are notoriously loud.  Seems like the loudness on the X1 varies widely.

Regular Contributor

I've had two different X1 boxes. They both generate excessive fan noise. 

Regular Contributor

bradbortner wrote:

thanks, bradbortner. The team is looking into alternative ways to switch video/audio inputs. I shared your comments re: fan noise and input button with our hardware/remote product manager. If fan noise continues to get worse, please feel free to send me a PM to escalate. 

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Jimdad wrote:
Hello. I just got my cable box reactivated, but the menu screen does not come up. It changes channels, but no numbers or menus come up on screen.

Jimdad - try unplugging your X1 STB from the back of the box, wait 15 seconds, and plug back in. the box should reboot and you will see a red XFINITY logo and 4 red dots will load. After the box has been successfully rebooted, you should see the main menu when you hit the XFINITY button on the remote. 

If this does not resolve your issue, please call 1-800-COMCAST and a CARE representative will be able to help you trouble shoot. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Thanks. How do I send you a PM (email address?) about fan noise. I already swapped the box once, and it did not resolve it. 

Regular Contributor

MVander wrote:

My remote is not working very well.  I think it is just getting old.  Does Comcast replace these?

MVander - is the remote the XR2 remote (you can see the model version on the back of the remote)?

XR2's are fairly new remotes. A battery change may resolve the issue. Also, did you RF pair your remote when your X1 was installed? If it's still IR paired, it might be an issue with the location of the STB. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Re: PA PR150BNM cable box problems

I just recently "upgraded" to the X1 platform.  At first, I was so stoked!  It's so futuristic looking, it seems to have so many more options and, well, let's just face it (no pun intended), it is AWESOME to see my facebook on big screen HD!  It didn't take long for my initial fascination to wear off.  There is most certainly lag time in remote response.  Twice now, and I've only had the box 2 weeks, I've had it freeze up on me.  The first time, I had left an On Demand show on pause for a while because I was on a phone call.  I had to unplug it, and that did the trick....as usual with Comcast.  Then, tonight, it froze right in the middle of a movie during DVR playback. It would allow me to access the menu, the guide, choose programs to watch, but once I hit select, the logo would come up......then nothing.  I had to go to....hhmm, hhmm **clearing my throat**...the trusty Comcast customer service.  Needless to say, THAT was pointless.  As usual, their response was, "I'll have to send a tech out."  While the rep was taking the usual 45 minute search for the next available appointment time, as IF I have 2 hours to take off work to wait for the Comcast guy.  I mean, I am a single mother with no help from anyone else.  Why do I need that paycheck, right?  I wonder if Comcast would accept the reason for my bill not being paid as, "Well, as much as I wanted to pay my bill, my check was 10 hours short because of the work hours I missed waiting for Comcast service techs."  ANYWAYS....While I was waiting, the box started working again.  The rep then went to the 2nd fail safe switch.  "You must have a faulty box."  I set up an appointment for a tech.  Luckily, since it's not "urgent" I was able to schedule it for next weekend, so I won't have to miss work.  I must say, it doesn't make me feel better to see that others are having problems with the box also.  That tells me that MY box probably is NOT faulty, but the X1 boxes are faulty in general.  Sorry this was so long.  If you're still reading, thanks for letting me rant.

Contributor

Loud buzz in rewind or fast forward mode for X1 DVR function

Just got my Xfinity X1 box installed (6 hours I'll never get back!) - and while I do love it, I just discovered whenever you fast forward or rewind the DVR recordings you get a loud buzzing sound - very annoying buzz.   It only does this in rewind and FF... surely this is not the way it should be, so if anyone else is having this issue or knows how to resolve it please post a response.  Thanks

Regular Contributor

Re: Loud buzz in rewind or fast forward mode for X1 DVR function

toppro wrote:

Just got my Xfinity X1 box installed (6 hours I'll never get back!) - and while I do love it, I just discovered whenever you fast forward or rewind the DVR recordings you get a loud buzzing sound - very annoying buzz.   It only does this in rewind and FF... surely this is not the way it should be, so if anyone else is having this issue or knows how to resolve it please post a response.  Thanks

Hi toppro - Happy to hear you are enjoying the X1 so far. I am going to send you a PM to gather some account level information to troubleshoot this issue (I have not heard anything like this before). Thanks

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Problem Solver

Re: Loud buzz in rewind or fast forward mode for X1 DVR function

toppro wrote:

Is it coming from the box itself or the TV (or perhaps speakers that you use to watch TV)?  Can't say that I've come across that.

Frequent Visitor

My box seems to be resetting to stereo at least once a day despite it saying its in surround.

I have to go into the audio settings switch from Surround to Stereo back to Surround.

Otherwise I get stuck with 2.0 PCM sound.  I've had to do this at least once a day for the past few days.

I have my box connected directly to my stereo, an Anthem MRX300 via HDMI.

Regular Contributor

GoodOmens wrote:

My box seems to be resetting to stereo at least once a day despite it saying its in surround.

I have to go into the audio settings switch from Surround to Stereo back to Surround.

Otherwise I get stuck with 2.0 PCM sound.  I've had to do this at least once a day for the past few days.

I have my box connected directly to my stereo, an Anthem MRX300 via HDMI.

Yes - we've had this problem since February when we got the equipment.  I have no idea what causes it to switch - never happens while we are watching it.  Very sneaky.

New Poster

Re: Digital cable picture freezes, pixilation problems

So I just got an X1 box today and everything was fine.  Until I turned it off.  Now it won't come  back on and no amount of rebooting seems to be helping.  I guess from what I am reading, it isn't just mine?

Contributor

I would like to note the normal X1 box (Non-DVR) is very slow and laggy. Transiting to a different channel, loading on demand, or even apps are not as smooth as the X1 DVR box. So many updates still the same issue. I also had 2 boxes already. I understand the DVR box is more powerful spec wise but the slow down shouldn't be happening neither.

Also I read that Comcast has new X1 boxes. Is this info new and when can we see them on the market?

Feature request:

• Add reminder notification!
  • Input button on remote.
  • Ability to change the color scheme?!
Regular Contributor

Re: Digital cable picture freezes, pixilation problems

nettismom wrote:

So I just got an X1 box today and everything was fine.  Until I turned it off.  Now it won't come  back on and no amount of rebooting seems to be helping.  I guess from what I am reading, it isn't just mine?

Nettismom - I will send you a PM to gather account level information in order to trouble shoot. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

FredNation wrote:

I would like to note the normal X1 box (Non-DVR) is very slow and laggy. Transiting to a different channel, loading on demand, or even apps are not as smooth as the X1 DVR box. So many updates still the same issue. I also had 2 boxes already. I understand the DVR box is more powerful spec wise but the slow down shouldn't be happening neither.

Also I read that Comcast has new X1 boxes. Is this info new and when can we see them on the market?

Feature request:

• Add reminder notification!
  • Input button on remote.
  • Ability to change the color scheme?!

Thanks, FredNation for your 3 feature suggestions. I've shared them with the product team to consider for the future releases. 

Re: new X1 boxes - I do not have any information regarding new set top boxes at this time, however Comcast continues to develop and test new devices. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Are there any updates on when the X1 service will be rolling out to the Connecticut area? We have been stuck with the same guide since the inception of digital cable. Every new guide that comes out we end up getting skipped over. Supposedly the X1 was to roll out in 2012 and now it is half way through 2013 and there is not so much as an ETA wether it be accurate or not. Any information would be appreciated as we are all paying customers. It is not fair that certain areas seem to get passed over time and time again. The guide that we have has been the same since the early 2000's with minor "additional features" along the way. I am seriously considering switching to a more up to date service if Comcast cannot provide a service that is on par with modern technology. ANY HELP OR INFO would be GREATLY appreaciated. Thank you!

Regular Contributor

SeaOfSorrow wrote:

Are there any updates on when the X1 service will be rolling out to the Connecticut area? We have been stuck with the same guide since the inception of digital cable. Every new guide that comes out we end up getting skipped over. Supposedly the X1 was to roll out in 2012 and now it is half way through 2013 and there is not so much as an ETA wether it be accurate or not. Any information would be appreciated as we are all paying customers. It is not fair that certain areas seem to get passed over time and time again. The guide that we have has been the same since the early 2000's with minor "additional features" along the way. I am seriously considering switching to a more up to date service if Comcast cannot provide a service that is on par with modern technology. ANY HELP OR INFO would be GREATLY appreaciated. Thank you!

SeaofSorrow - Thanks for your post. I do not have any information regarding the deployment stategy in local markets. For more information regarding X1 availability, please call 1-800-COMCAST.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 - Rebooting / Audio & Visual resetting

Is anyone still having an issue with the DVR rebooting every night? The only problem I have with that is the audio keeps resetting to stereo and video keeps resetting to 720p. An annoyance rather than a game stopper really, but I'd rather not have to reset it every time I want to watch.

Regular Contributor

Update! The X1 just received a update, this update has enabled 4 tuners. You can now record 4 shows and watch one. This was a nice update. Hoping for the skip a day in the guide.
Jerry
Regular Contributor

jerrylyons wrote:
Update! The X1 just received a update, this update has enabled 4 tuners. You can now record 4 shows and watch one. This was a nice update. Hoping for the skip a day in the guide.
Jerry

Hmmm...maybe that was what it was doing last night instead or recording Survivor like it was supposed to. Smiley Sad

Problem Solver

jerrylyons wrote:
Jerry

Yup, noticed I was able to do the same thing last night.

New Poster

I am having an issue where The power button on the remote does not work if I have my remote paired with the X1.  If I disable pairing the power button works.  Is this issue still being worked?  or is there a solution?

Problem Solver

Anon11664 wrote:

I am having an issue where The power button on the remote does not work if I have my remote paired with the X1.  If I disable pairing the power button works.  Is this issue still being worked?  or is there a solution?

It's a known issue, but it's hard to say when there'll be a fix to address it.

Regular Contributor

Anyone know how to force a firmware push? I had to get my X1 box replaced and its sitting at rev XRE 1.29 and a timestamp of Dec 05.

Usually unplugging a forced restart caused them to grab the firmware on the next boot.  This one wont do it.

Regular Contributor

Anon11664 wrote:

Thanks, Anon11664. This is a known issue and our team is working on the fix. Unfortunately, I dont have an ETA, but we will release the fix ASAP. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Would really like to see support for my external hard drive. The eSATA port is there. The WD DVR Expander 1 TB is there and connected. Just waiting for the switch to be flipped. Smiley Wink

Did I say pleeeeeassse?
Tags (2)
Regular Contributor

C_DM wrote:

jerrylyons wrote:
Jerry

What version of software are you guys seeing? I am still on Apr 12th

Regular Contributor

4/12/13 also. Firmware Version: PX001AN_XC_1.1.2.4.2_PROD_BC_SPCse

I can record 4 programs and watch a 5th here in Houston.
Problem Solver

HD-Tech wrote:

C_DM wrote:

jerrylyons wrote:
Jerry

What version of software are you guys seeing? I am still on Apr 12th

I believe everything is the same as what it was before the support for extra tuners appeared last week--seems like the update wasn't really one that was part of some new version pushed to the box, but likely more of a backend/cloud update to add support for extra tuners and enable them on the box through perhaps some configuration.

Expert

This is pretty interesting:

"http://www.multichannel.com/distribution/comcast%E2%80%99s-x1-takes-crack-openstack/143016"

"Comcast’s X1 service features a media-rich cloud-based interface and an IP-based applications ecosystem. The next version, internally referred to as "X2," will add features such as personalized recommendations based on viewing habits and other data. The initial version of X1 runs on a Pace-made hybrid QAM/IP HD-DVR called the XG1 that can share content over a  Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA)-based home network with an HD client box called the RNG150N.  Comcast is working with Arris and other vendors on a “headless” gateway called the XG5 that will work with an IP-only HD client device called the Xi3. The XG5 will also house a transcoder that converts QAM video into IP streams that can be shared with tablets, smartphones and other devices hanging off the home network. All of those products run on the Comcast Reference Design Kit (RDK), a pre-integrated software bundle for gateways and set-tops."

Regular Contributor

I wonder how much the X1 box, with all its cloud enabled functionality, is contributing to my overall data IP usage. 

Problem Solver

bradbortner wrote:

I wonder how much the X1 box, with all its cloud enabled functionality, is contributing to my overall data IP usage. 

It doesn't seem like it should be--at least nothing that should be counted against your home internet usage--as it's not attached to your home internet service (be it through Comcast or some other provider), assuming you even have it (as you certainly can have cable TV service and no internet service at all).

Regular Contributor

Ah, but its now using ip traffic, due to the clod functionality. I'm seeing a size able delta between what my router is saying I'm using and what comcasts online tool is telling me I'm using. This makes me suspect that the x1s ip usage is being counted.
Regular Contributor

That's cloud not clod Smiley Happy. Never post from an iPad!
Problem Solver

bradbortner wrote:
Ah, but its now using ip traffic, due to the clod functionality. I'm seeing a size able delta between what my router is saying I'm using and what comcasts online tool is telling me I'm using. This makes me suspect that the x1s ip usage is being counted.

I definitely understand that it's cloud--although even the current/older boxes still get things over data, like updates and even VOD.  Comcast's online counter is really there for their internet services, and since the box isn't connected to your home modem/router, I'm not really sure how it can count its usage towards it.  Especially if you consider people who have internet services through a provider that is not Comcast, or have no internet at all, and have the box--how would that work out in that case?

Regular Contributor

Those are good questions. It's reasonable that they should not be counting it, but I'm not sure that they are not. Bear in mind that its one piece of coax coming into my house. Can they discriminate between ip traffic going through my cable modem and ip traffic coming from the x1 box directly? The delta between what my router is saying and what the comcast application is telling me about usage makes me suspicious.
Frequent Visitor

bradbortner wrote:
Those are good questions. It's reasonable that they should not be counting it, but I'm not sure that they are not. Bear in mind that its one piece of coax coming into my house. Can they discriminate between ip traffic going through my cable modem and ip traffic coming from the x1 box directly? The delta between what my router is saying and what the comcast application is telling me about usage makes me suspicious.

Yes, they can discriminate. IP traffic is tracked by MAC address. Your cable modem has a different one than your X1 box.

They can also differentiate between traffic internal to their network and the outside internet. For example, Comcast has said that using XFinity On Demand on an XBox 360 in your home does not count against their cap, because it uses their internal network and never touches the internet.

Regular Contributor

That is a good point. They can descriminate between MAC addresses if they choose to. The question is whether they choose to, or can even do so legally. As I recall, when they started to announce that Xfinity On Demand on the Xbox 360 would not count against the cap, there was big pushback from folks who support "net neutrality," since it was seen as privledging one form of IP traffice over another (Their own vs say Netflix). Does anyone recall how this all ended up, or is it still unresolved?

Of course, now I realize that the entire genesis of my concern (a difference between what my router was reporting and what comcast was reporting) in terms of internet usage was an error on my part Smiley Sad . The display on the netgear router was a bit misleading, so I was misplacing a decimal place. Ah well. What was really going on is that my kids have been watch some back episode of Dr Who on Netflix, and for some of the newer versions they have switched to something called Super HD. Apparently this translates into about 2.6 GB per hour. That means that two one hour SHD shows can push you way over 5 Gb a day. 

Problem Solver

bradbortner wrote:

That is a good point. They can descriminate between MAC addresses if they choose to. The question is whether they choose to, or can even do so legally. As I recall, when they started to announce that Xfinity On Demand on the Xbox 360 would not count against the cap, there was big pushback from folks who support "net neutrality," since it was seen as privledging one form of IP traffice over another (Their own vs say Netflix). Does anyone recall how this all ended up, or is it still unresolved?

Of course, now I realize that the entire genesis of my concern (a difference between what my router was reporting and what comcast was reporting) in terms of internet usage was an error on my part Smiley Sad . The display on the netgear router was a bit misleading, so I was misplacing a decimal place. Ah well. What was really going on is that my kids have been watch some back episode of Dr Who on Netflix, and for some of the newer versions they have switched to something called Super HD. Apparently this translates into about 2.6 GB per hour. That means that two one hour SHD shows can push you way over 5 Gb a day. 

This isn't really X1-related, but the Super HD that you mentioned got me thinking a bit--there are a number of posts here at these forums, like a very recent one at http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/WE-WANT-NETFLIX-SUPER-HD/m-p/1691409/ that talk about Comcast not having support for Netflix's Super HD, so I'm curious how you might have gotten that working.

Regular Contributor

Not through the X1 box. I use a Roku for netflix. 

Regular Contributor

Of course, I'm just assuming I was getting super HD becuase that was what the roku box was telling me I was getting. It looked hi-res to me, but I have no way to measure what was actually hitting my screen.

Silver Problem Solver

It most likely is, if nexflix is telling you you have super hd then the bandwith is high enough.  Even though comcast is not part of the cable company that supports it.

Gold Problem Solver

macnbc wrote: ... Comcast has said that using XFinity On Demand on an XBox 360 in your home does not count against their cap, because it uses their internal network and never touches the internet.

Comcast's rationale for the XBox is total BS. ARP, DHCP, SNMP and other "housekeeping" modem traffic DOES count against the cap, yet that traffic goes nowhere near the public internet. They're applying a dual standard because they want to and because they can.