New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

ANSWERED
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 – Firmware Update 4910

The cables work. I'm just wondering why it takes 30 seconds to make the handshake. That's all. The Monster Cables I have are 300HD rated for 1080p. No need for 1.4 with Ethernet and the high speed stuff is basic BS that Monster puts out to sell their high-priced cables. I have the free cables Comcast gave me on my other TV and they work fine.

Contributor

davephillips41 wrote:

The cables work. I'm just wondering why it takes 30 seconds to make the handshake. That's all. The Monster Cables I have are 300HD rated for 1080p. No need for 1.4 with Ethernet and the high speed stuff is basic BS that Monster puts out to sell their high-priced cables. I have the free cables Comcast gave me on my other TV and they work fine.

I'd be willing to bet that the delay has more to do with the X1 box than any other part of your system.

Sometime during the Patriot-Saints game, my audio reset from surround sound which didn't work before but suddenly did work, to stereo which was how I had to set to get surround sound, but then stopped working. 

Make any sense?

That's why I think your problem might be more with Comcast's screwed up box.

Regular Contributor

Monster does talk a lot of BS but high or standard speed is an industry rating and standard and I believe the ethernet capability is supposed to help with the back and forth handshakes. As a sidenote my box decided not to tape the walking dead at 9:00 as scheduled while it is taping boardwalk empire and homeland-is it possible the latest update is causing this or is this just a random missed recording as others havecomplained about?

New Poster

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment

Comcast said there would be no charge for changing from regular box to x1. Now after having installed they want to charge me 9.95 each for 4 x1 boxes. I was getting the 4 anyroom boxes for free under my bundle. They said x1 was special and could not be free. That my bundle did not cover x1. Is this right, it does not seem fair.

New Poster

My remotes will turn each x1 box on, if I have turned them off manually, but neither remote will turn either box on/ off otherwise . Any suggestions?
Regular Contributor

13je wrote:
My remotes will turn each x1 box on, if I have turned them off manually, but neither remote will turn either box on/ off otherwise . Any suggestions?

The new remote it not desinged to power on/off the X1. When you turn off the X1 using the remote, it is simply going into standby. Therefore you are able to "turn back on", or bring it out of standby.

Highlighted
New Poster

Thank you - is it best to just leave the boxes on or in standby mode?
Regular Contributor

13je wrote:
Thank you - is it best to just leave the boxes on or in standby mode?

Most just leave them on.

Regular Contributor

I tested the box with a watt meter , it used 33 watts off and 37 watts on.

Regular Visitor

I've had X1 for a week now. One of the boxes (not a hub) freezes every morning. When the TV is turned on, I get one channel. The box is frozen and has to be unplugged and replugged every morning to get it to work.

Contributor

4910 didn't fix the problem with the box not recording programs scheduled to be recorded.

It refused to record The Mentalist last night.

Maybe because it wasn't a NBC show?

Problem Solver

What is the best way to get help about X1 issues or questions?  After struggling with a Comcast rep over the phone, I tried sending an email itemizing several things and asked for a written reply.  I got a phone call from someone this morning who clearly did not read my questions very well and passed me off to someone else over the phone.  Again no help.  In fact, I was able to "teach" her about a few things I've discovered about the X1.  She said "It can do that?".  Another hour and a half down the drain!

My biggest complaint is with the absence of any way to set "reminders" on the X1 system (as I could do with my previous box).  Other posts on this forum expressed the same concern, but I've not seen any official reply (although someone said it was being "worked on" for the future).  I like many things about this X1, but this one omission makes me want to get my old box back.

I have many "issues" and don't know where to go for help.  I'd prefer a written response somehow because I think it's easier to communicate in writing.  The phone support takes too long to explain the issue, and I've repeated my question many, many times in the week since I received this new box.

I hope I'm not hijacking this question, but I'm new to this site and not sure where to ask a question like this.  I suppose I could start a new "topic" here for each of my issues, but that somehow does'nt seem right.  Thanks in advance!

Frequent Visitor

Wow - mirror image. Emails, calls, people call me from Retention, the local office, everyone contradicts the previous person at least a little.

I asked, asked, asked, the same question over and over - will the satellite boxes pause live TV? It's about a 60/40 split (60 on the no side). 

But I was guaranteed it did. Today I lost two DVRs that worked fine, and I got a new X1 DVR and something more like a cable box, at best a DVP - since it does NOT RECORD. Also, a lot of stuff just blows with X1, but I would even be willing to live with that. I tried so hard to be a customer and fork over $225 a month. Never gave the money a second thought - even when it mysteriously creeped up every few months. It was NEVER ABOUT THE MONEY! I don't care about the money! I want what you SAID YOU WOULD DO. You solicited me! And when you drop the ball, everyone offered to lower my bill - no one offered to actually do what they promised and failed to deliver. Not one. 

I work for a multibillion dollar software company, and I'd be upset that sometimes the support guys wouldn't hit the mark, so to speak. But the worst newbie in our food chain is an astronaut compared to every person I've ever spoken to at Comcast. Well, to be fair, I found two smart people, and they both left for other companies.

Seriously, you have testing/QA, right? Would you like to know how to do that? If you don't, even scripting and offshoring our test  - no product ends up this crappy.

Another 4 hours on the phone as I type (hung up on, transferred to a "non working extension", dumped back in the queue after telling my story the 15th time this month). 

Here's a lesson, Comcast - set customer expectations correctly. One person tonight finally said "well, you might get disconnected - that happens". I told him he he was my favorite rep of the night (so far). He told me I might get dumped. And I didn't! And I was happy! (Wow - how badly have I been flogged by Comcast to actually be happy with that?)

Done. I'm done. The boxes get tossed at the front door of the local office and we're Dish customers as of next week. But that's not going to make me happy. Nor will the fact that starting tomorrow, I will make it my personal hobby to dent Comcast's income, if I have to make sure my HOA signs with someone else, if I have to post my experience so our incoming employees where I work will not bother with you, if I have to stand in front of the grocery store and hand out free Girl Scout cookies to anyone who will help me in my mission.

And as someone who was working on peering and transit when Comcast was still just forcing rear entry on TV junkies, your network security is a joke. But no hacker needs to bring it down - you guys do it all on your own. (Just kidding, NSA automated bot reading this...)

No, I will be happy when...well, someone figures out that the only thing worse than letting a company monopolize an industry by being both a content provider as well as a delivery system - is letting a company like Comcast do it. At least ATT was a competent monopoly.

I'm done. Hang up on me quicker next time - you'll get shorter posts.

Contributor

God bless you, blautens. You've just succinctly summed up what I have felt about Comcast (acutally, its com-something else, but they censored me) for the past fifteen years.

Ironically, just as I was reading your post, my internet went down for about five minutes.

Mighty suspicous.

Good luck with Dish.

blautens wrote:

Wow - mirror image. Emails, calls, people call me from Retention, the local office, everyone contradicts the previous person at least a little.

I asked, asked, asked, the same question over and over - will the satellite boxes pause live TV? It's about a 60/40 split (60 on the no side). 

But I was guaranteed it did. Today I lost two DVRs that worked fine, and I got a new X1 DVR and something more like a cable box, at best a DVP - since it does NOT RECORD. Also, a lot of stuff just blows with X1, but I would even be willing to live with that. I tried so hard to be a customer and fork over $225 a month. Never gave the money a second thought - even when it mysteriously creeped up every few months. It was NEVER ABOUT THE MONEY! I don't care about the money! I want what you SAID YOU WOULD DO. You solicited me! And when you drop the ball, everyone offered to lower my bill - no one offered to actually do what they promised and failed to deliver. Not one. 

I work for a multibillion dollar software company, and I'd be upset that sometimes the support guys wouldn't hit the mark, so to speak. But the worst newbie in our food chain is an astronaut compared to every person I've ever spoken to at Comcast. Well, to be fair, I found two smart people, and they both left for other companies.

Seriously, you have testing/QA, right? Would you like to know how to do that? If you don't, even scripting and offshoring our test  - no product ends up this crappy.

Another 4 hours on the phone as I type (hung up on, transferred to a "non working extension", dumped back in the queue after telling my story the 15th time this month). 

Here's a lesson, Comcast - set customer expectations correctly. One person tonight finally said "well, you might get disconnected - that happens". I told him he he was my favorite rep of the night (so far). He told me I might get dumped. And I didn't! And I was happy! (Wow - how badly have I been flogged by Comcast to actually be happy with that?)

Done. I'm done. The boxes get tossed at the front door of the local office and we're Dish customers as of next week. But that's not going to make me happy. Nor will the fact that starting tomorrow, I will make it my personal hobby to dent Comcast's income, if I have to make sure my HOA signs with someone else, if I have to post my experience so our incoming employees where I work will not bother with you, if I have to stand in front of the grocery store and hand out free Girl Scout cookies to anyone who will help me in my mission.

And as someone who was working on peering and transit when Comcast was still just forcing rear entry on TV junkies, your network security is a joke. But no hacker needs to bring it down - you guys do it all on your own. (Just kidding, NSA automated bot reading this...)

No, I will be happy when...well, someone figures out that the only thing worse than letting a company monopolize an industry by being both a content provider as well as a delivery system - is letting a company like Comcast do it. At least ATT was a competent monopoly.

Frequent Visitor

Exactly!!!  I'm just jealous you got a satellite install date so soon.  I still have to wait two more weeks for my DirecTV install.  Hmm Comcast why do you think satellite installers are slammed with new installs in my area?  Get a clue...

By the way, DirecTV told me the genie mini boxes (equivalent to X1 terminals) could pause live TV.  Somehow I believe them when they tell me things unline Comcast.  At least I knew not to trust anything the Comcast reps said so I had no illusions that their X1 terminals could pause live TV.  I feel bad for everyone dealing with this garbage.  Please please someone start a class-action lawsuit!

Up next is a fun call to Comcast to tell them I am cancelling my tv service after just two months.  I am sure I am in some sort of contract and they will try to charge me an early termination fee even though I am (ugh) keeping their internet service, which I will flat out refuse to pay.  Any advice on how to deal with them?

blautens wrote:

Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment - Firmware 4915

Firmware 4915 showed up while we were sleeping.

Doesn't seemed to have changed anything so far; menu is still herky jerky, you still have to erased deleted shows over and over before they go away for good, my remote battery still shows only a 5% charge, etc.

At least the red recording light goes out after recording.

Some shows still don't record, but at least the Mentalist is suddenly availabe On Demand when it wasn't ever before.

Maybe its a priviledge reserved for us X1 folks.

Contributor

X1 is just plain awful.  The offering is at best a beta product. 

Tonight in the middle of watching the American League Championship Series baseball game the screen on my TV went blank.  My Samsung HDTV displayed the blue screen of death.

I powered everything down.  When it restarted, during the boot-up, the screen initially displayed "xfinity" but then instead of going through the sequence of four buttons lighting up, which is the usual boot-up process, all I got was a blank red screen.  After the boot-up completed, the screen switched from a blank red screen to a blank blue screen.

I recycled the power, turning everything off, waiting awhile, and then plugging everything back in.  That didn't work.  Next, I tried holding the green circle button for 90 seconds forcing a soft re-boot.  That didn't work either.

I was able to reach a technical support person at the special X1 support line: 877-896-8678.

At this point I want my old DVR boxes back plus a credit from Comcast to cover the cost they charged me for upgrading to X1. 

Contributor

4915 didn't fix the problem where DVR playbacks stutter. 

Still, the only solution is to restart the entire recording and then fast forward (if you can) to the point where you left off.

Regular Contributor

MikeBravo wrote:

Still, the only solution is to restart the entire recording and then fast forward (if you can) to the point where you left off.

I wonder if some of these problems are based more on what area people are in rather than specific to X1 in general. I live in the suburbs of Philly and have had few problems-missed one recording and have the occasional split second audio drop but other than that its been good. Maybe the X1 needs a better connection and stronger signal so if the main lines, or the line to your house,have issues you'll have more problems. After testing my line the tech ran a new one from the pole to the house. 

Regular Contributor

cldlhd wrote:

MikeBravo wrote:

I wonder if some of these problems are based more on what area people are in rather than specific to X1 in general. I live in the suburbs of Philly and have had few problems-missed one recording and have the occasional split second audio drop but other than that its been good. Maybe the X1 needs a better connection and stronger signal so if the main lines, or the line to your house,have issues you'll have more problems. After testing my line the tech ran a new one from the pole to the house. 

You are exactly right.  I hav have had few problems northwest of chicago.  The main problem that Comcast has nationwide is spotty training of its support staff.  I have had to point out several "fixes" to techs that should know better.  In many areas installers work for outside contractors that are given little information beyond signal levels.  

Comcast offers great content, but when you can't access it's worthless.  The recording capacity is great, but when recordings are skipped or the playback poor it too is worthless.  

Most of the problems detailed here lately relate to server issues.  If the local operators know what they are doing it's great.  If they don't it's a nightmare.

Contributor

Re: X1 – Settings, Remote & Equipment - Firmware 4915 - Region-Line Condition

Here in NJ, we haven't had the severe problems many of you have experienced such as blank screens, signal drops, etc. However, at these prices even the smaller annoying ones are unacceptable.

In our case, when they installed the X1 they did run a new line from the pole to my house. 

However, our house is the very last on the neighborhood loop, the so called 'garbage' end connection and in the twenty years we have been here, we have had many, many problems. 

By example, even with the newer top of the line 50 MBS Internet service, every weekday from about 1 PM until 8 PM my service slows to 25 MBS. Not bad, but I am paying a hefty price for the speed. When I was on the old 20 MBS plan, it would slow down to 2 or 3 MBS during that period.

In any event, regardless of the reasons, Comcast's utter incompetence and apathy is the root cause.

Regular Contributor

If I was paying for the 50mb Internet and wasn't getting it, I would be demanding a refund every month. You have a right to get what you pay for.
Regular Contributor

my speed is consistently in the high 50's so I guess I can't complain there and I don't know if its a coincidence but ever since they replaced the line coming into my house I haven't had to reboot my modem at all. As for the problems with x1 I would have to imagine a company as big as Comcast with the competition that they now have is going to find a way to fix them sooner rather than later -one would hope- what is the problem is local it might be more difficult
Contributor

davephillips41 wrote:
If I was paying for the 50mb Internet and wasn't getting it, I would be demanding a refund every month. You have a right to get what you pay for.

If only it worked that way, Dave. But, I have been that route with them time and again and all they tell me is that they cannot be responsible for how many people in my neighborhood are using that service at any time. They also claim that the way they distribute their signal, only huge loops, is the only practicable way.

I've been fighting them for twenty five years with very little success. 

For the record, my line of sight for satelitte TV is blocked by a whole stand of trees on federally controlled wetlands.

Frequent Visitor

I just had my X1 equipment installed last week.  When my wife and I try to watch any recorded show, or watch shows from the on demand list ,  the sounds stops on and off. At other times the whole show stops. We have to go back and reselect the show and start them again. That works some of the time, other times we have to wait over an hour to try and watch the show. 

I have checked and retightened all cable connections, it still happens.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE SYSTEM?????

New Poster

Is there any IR extenders for the new X1 box? Nothing on the back of the device seems to support it? Huh?! !<br><br>Model number: PX001ANM
Frequent Visitor

I'm not sure what the best way to deal with Comcast is when it comes to...well, anything. They hang up on you after you've held for an hour plus when you're paying customer, so imagine how they will behave when you're trying to tell them to go pound sand.

FWIW, Dish TV has next day appointments. Yup, I ordered it at 11 PM and they still offered to come the next day. But I waited until today to have it installed.

Oh. My. God. What have I been doing all my life? Dish is AWESOME. First of all, everything works. Well. Fast. And there are a lot of things to work, far too many to mention - just a couple:

1) Remote setup for your Vizio sound bar got you down? Try the Dish TV method - Menu, Settings, Remote Manager, Aux Code, Audio Accessory, Lookup code, select Vizio, scroll down to your model, select and you're done. Yup, and online database, constantly updated. Almost like we live in the year 2013, huh? Want to lock the volume control to only use the sound bar? Go back a screen or two and choose Volume and then choose TV or Aux. Want to know how Comcast does all this with the new XR2 remote? Yeah, me too, because you can't. They won't give up the EFC codes like the old Comcast remote so at least you could painstakingly program it. At best, if supported, Comcast offered this excellent method - press, hold, blinkie blinkie, enter numbers, pray, push buttons, worked? No? Try again, Thanks, Comcast. Very helpful. And the remote itself? Full featured, RF and infrared. Not a $149 Harmony, but not the sub $2 remote Comcast has built for them.

2) I'm watching NFL network live on my Galaxy Note 2 while my son watches Disney on the main DVR (I got 2 - one Hopper with Sling and one plain Hopper - and 2 Joeys.). It took about 1 minute for me to setup - went to the Android app store, download Dish TV app, and logged in with my Dish account. From there I could pick either DVR, and basically after that, it's like you're carrying a TV. You've got the full guide, you can play recorded programs, On Demand, or watch live TV - any TV you pay for, no dumb restrictions based on device and bizarre DMCA rules - anything you can do at your TV, you can pretty much do from your phone or tablet. And it WORKS. Inside the house - outside the house - public internet, LTE, all good. Fast, flawlessly. (I'm looking at you, worthless Xfinity crapps - oft downloaded yet rarely enjoyed).

3) Features? How about all major network prime time TV automatically recorded for 8 days? How about Picture in Picture? Yeah - PIP - the thing Comcast ripped away from me for some BS reason - it worked great and was awesome for football. They obviously sensed I was enjoying it, and had to make sure my spirit remained crushed. And it's more cruel to give and then take away, so kudos to you, Comcast, the Shawshank of TV providers. Bluetooth? Check. DLNA? Check. Yes - no more dropping out to my LG's Plex client - I can do DLNA right from the Dish units!!! Are you kidding me? This is...like Chistmas morning, all day long, every day!

I could go on and on - the intuitive interface, the snappy, reliable performance, the excellent picture, free of the oppressive compression Comcast inflicts on my beloved football, the ability to PAUSE LIVE TV from the Joey's, something Comcast feels is apparently the holy grail that must be alluded to, promised but never actually seen or touched by mere mortals. Everything from the extremely professional, Dish employed installer (not a contractor) who actually didn't leave nails and staples on the side of my house for my 2 year old or my dog to impale themselves with. In fact, he swept, he tucked cables, pushed back furniture, and generally worked hard and communicated effectively, in english, the only language I pretty much know, but is apparently optional for some Comcast contractors (do they employ technicians any more?).

He had just left (after spending time to make sure I was happy, understood the features, that they worked, and I could use them) and I felt this enormous sense of elation, this weight lifted from me, and it came to me - as a former police officer, I realized, I was clearly the victim of abuse, and like many such victims, I lived with my domestic abuser (Comcast) and just considered it my burden, my choice, the one I made, and now I had to live with it.

Why did I wait? Who conditioned me to the hopelessness and misery of life with Comcast as if it were my cross to bear?

Dish had lifted me up - made me understand that we didn't have to live with the abuser we brought into our house with good intentions - we deserve better - and we CAN break the cycle of this abuse. The epiphany unfolding before me became even more clear - I must follow Comcast vehicles and when they stop, I must warn people not to fell prey to them - but that Dish offers a better way. Dish doesn't care what sins were committed with Comcast - they offer forgiveness, and joy, and a better way.

Yes, it is clear - once you escape the satanic grip Comcast exerts, you owe it to your brothers and sisters to be a Disciple of Dish. In fact, I must take a step beyond disciple - I must become "Dish Jesus", and offer life after Comcast to the broken souls crushed by the unholiness known as Xfinity.

Life is good. Now my last challenge is to return to my abuser's house as a new man -  take all my X1 junk down to the Boca Comcast office and try really hard not to throw it at the people who clearly were either lying to me or are just pathetically incompetent.

Regular Contributor

Blautens-that was an entertaining post and it sounds like a good setup but fortunately I haven't had a lot of the issues others have had withcomcast. When I ordered X1 at the local xfinity store (Langhorne ,pa)I was offered next day installation but chose a few days later, I requested an actual comcast installer and he spoke english,was polite,wore boot covers and stuck around to explain the system so I guess I got lucky-I'm sure the horror stories are true. I always use my surround sound receiver for audio and using HDMI control my new Vizio m series knows the receiver is on and turns the TV's speakers off,if I turn the reciever off the TV turns its speakers on automatically. My harmony one remote is setup to run volume thru the TV which in turn controls the receiver (hdmi control)so works whether reciver is on or off. Comcast seems to have become more interested in making the remotes look cleaner at the expense of functionality.

Contributor

Well, as Blautens sails happily into the sunset and cldlhd sits happily with his feet up, here we others are at firmware 4915 and the saga continues with the latest:

Our X1 recorded some retrospective show on Roseanne that we didn't schedule, I went back to a partially viewed recording and once again the X1 had reset it back to the beginning so I had to FF all the way to the point I last viewed, our erased, deleted shows continue to reappear like Halloween ghosts, and pausing other recordings even for a second still leads to herky jerky playback requiring us to rewind and view again. 

Sometimes that fixes it, but others you have to exit out of the recording and to back to try again.

And, oh yeah, it still picks and chooses what scheduled recordings it wil actually record with no method to its madness.

But, at least the red recording light is out.

Contributor

On my previous DVR, the Motorola 3416 I had it hooked up to my tv with HDMI and it passed through the audio to my Onkyo receiver and it always played 5.1 when it was available. With this new box (hooked up the same exact way) when I change the setting to surround it just changes back to stereo right away. My receiver says it's just getting a stereo signal.

Then there's my second box issue. I can set recordings and when I watch them it does all these things just fine but when I'm watching live tv it will not pause or rewind. I've tried restarting the box and it didn't fix anything.

X1 is broken, I'm probably just going to switch back to the Motorola 3416.

Problem Solver

I wish our friend luck with Dish network. Good luck during heavy rain storms, snow storms with no signal. Hope you don't have trees growing near or within sight of satellite again you will lose signal. I got tired of climbing ladders to clean snow off the dish. Like most products and services what works for some and others not so well.
Regular Contributor

Well I'm not totally happy, perhaps I spoke too soon.Last night I had boardwalk empire, the walking dead and homeland scheduled to be recorded at 9 but for some reason it didn't tape homeland. I had to schedule it manually to tape at 11. I'm not excusing this kind of stuff I'm just saying overall I still like my x1 better than my old dvr and if they eventually get the bugs worked out it'll be much better, if not maybe ill check out FIOS.
Regular Contributor

cldlhd wrote:
Well I'm not totally happy, perhaps I spoke too soon.Last night I had boardwalk empire, the walking dead and homeland scheduled to be recorded at 9 but for some reason it didn't tape homeland. I had to schedule it manually to tape at 11. I'm not excusing this kind of stuff I'm just saying overall I still like my x1 better than my old dvr and if they eventually get the bugs worked out it'll be much better, if not maybe ill check out FIOS.

I'm in the same position that your are although skipped recordings don't seem to be a problem for me any more.  I don't expect any major overhauls until an entirely new system roles out.  It is becooming clear to me that this X1 is a true beta system that is a space holder for X2 or whatever they might call the next great thing.  Since Comcast and Verizon are partners in most areas, I'm not sure about the availability of FIOS.

Regular Contributor

My neighbor has FIOS so I know its available but switching is a hassle so I figure ill wait awhile. Its weird my only two missed recordings were both Sunday at 9 , last week wad the walking dead this week homeland.I thought maybe it stopped being able to record 4 at once but today I tested it by recording 4 random shows and it worked. Well if this is the beta version hopefully the X2 will be more trouble free.
Frequent Visitor

I attempted to program my SONY audio with the Comcast remote(red OK button)...sound is now controlled until I turn off the whole system...Have to re program everytime...what am I doing wrong...Have tried all the codes...

Regular Contributor

skpmastro wrote:

I attempted to program my SONY audio with the Comcast remote(red OK button)...sound is now controlled until I turn off the whole system...Have to re program everytime...what am I doing wrong...Have tried all the codes...

This sounds like a problem with the XR2 remote. Exchange for a new one.  You might try to manually turn off your Sony and then manually turn it on to see if that loses the programming.  

Valued Contributor

DenverDolans wrote:
Is there any IR extenders for the new X1 box? Nothing on the back of the device seems to support it? Huh?! !<br><br>Model number: PX001ANM

I don't recall ever seeing a cable box with a jack for an IR extender.  Do you already have an IR extender(s) connected to other equipment?  What remote do you desire to use?

Frequent Visitor

I bought an extender for one of my X1 secondary boxes on Amazon - works fine.  Search Amazon for "Infrared Receiver Extender Cable for HD DVR STB's" and find the version that works with your box.  You are trying to get compatibility with both base frequency of IR and also supply voltage (5V or 12V).

Frequent Visitor

Another awesome post!  Only 7 more days until my DirecTV Genie install, I can't wait.  I hope I don't have Dish TV envy now!  I mainly went with DirecTV because I had them in the past and I knew all their equipment and how well it works.  The Genie will be new to me but their whole-home DVR worked before and Genie reviews seem good.  Their apps work pretty well too.  I got a good deal on the Genie-to-go thing so we'll see how that compares to Dish with Sling.

Oh and to all of the people worried about getting a dish because they think the signal goes out -- unless you get a lot of snow in the winter I wouldn't worry.  My dish went through cat 1 hurricane winds in Virginia and had a signal the whole time.  I had to have someone come out and re-aim it every few years but no biggie.  Trees in the way are of course another issue, it definitely needs line-of-site to the satelites.

blautens wrote:

I'm not sure what the best way to deal with Comcast is when it comes to...well, anything. They hang up on you after you've held for an hour plus when you're paying customer, so imagine how they will behave when you're trying to tell them to go pound sand.

FWIW, Dish TV has next day appointments. Yup, I ordered it at 11 PM and they still offered to come the next day. But I waited until today to have it installed.

Oh. My. God. What have I been doing all my life? Dish is AWESOME. First of all, everything works. Well. Fast. And there are a lot of things to work, far too many to mention - just a couple:

1) Remote setup for your Vizio sound bar got you down? Try the Dish TV method - Menu, Settings, Remote Manager, Aux Code, Audio Accessory, Lookup code, select Vizio, scroll down to your model, select and you're done. Yup, and online database, constantly updated. Almost like we live in the year 2013, huh? Want to lock the volume control to only use the sound bar? Go back a screen or two and choose Volume and then choose TV or Aux. Want to know how Comcast does all this with the new XR2 remote? Yeah, me too, because you can't. They won't give up the EFC codes like the old Comcast remote so at least you could painstakingly program it. At best, if supported, Comcast offered this excellent method - press, hold, blinkie blinkie, enter numbers, pray, push buttons, worked? No? Try again, Thanks, Comcast. Very helpful. And the remote itself? Full featured, RF and infrared. Not a $149 Harmony, but not the sub $2 remote Comcast has built for them.

2) I'm watching NFL network live on my Galaxy Note 2 while my son watches Disney on the main DVR (I got 2 - one Hopper with Sling and one plain Hopper - and 2 Joeys.). It took about 1 minute for me to setup - went to the Android app store, download Dish TV app, and logged in with my Dish account. From there I could pick either DVR, and basically after that, it's like you're carrying a TV. You've got the full guide, you can play recorded programs, On Demand, or watch live TV - any TV you pay for, no dumb restrictions based on device and bizarre DMCA rules - anything you can do at your TV, you can pretty much do from your phone or tablet. And it WORKS. Inside the house - outside the house - public internet, LTE, all good. Fast, flawlessly. (I'm looking at you, worthless Xfinity crapps - oft downloaded yet rarely enjoyed).

3) Features? How about all major network prime time TV automatically recorded for 8 days? How about Picture in Picture? Yeah - PIP - the thing Comcast ripped away from me for some BS reason - it worked great and was awesome for football. They obviously sensed I was enjoying it, and had to make sure my spirit remained crushed. And it's more cruel to give and then take away, so kudos to you, Comcast, the Shawshank of TV providers. Bluetooth? Check. DLNA? Check. Yes - no more dropping out to my LG's Plex client - I can do DLNA right from the Dish units!!! Are you kidding me? This is...like Chistmas morning, all day long, every day!

I could go on and on - the intuitive interface, the snappy, reliable performance, the excellent picture, free of the oppressive compression Comcast inflicts on my beloved football, the ability to PAUSE LIVE TV from the Joey's, something Comcast feels is apparently the holy grail that must be alluded to, promised but never actually seen or touched by mere mortals. Everything from the extremely professional, Dish employed installer (not a contractor) who actually didn't leave nails and staples on the side of my house for my 2 year old or my dog to impale themselves with. In fact, he swept, he tucked cables, pushed back furniture, and generally worked hard and communicated effectively, in english, the only language I pretty much know, but is apparently optional for some Comcast contractors (do they employ technicians any more?).

He had just left (after spending time to make sure I was happy, understood the features, that they worked, and I could use them) and I felt this enormous sense of elation, this weight lifted from me, and it came to me - as a former police officer, I realized, I was clearly the victim of abuse, and like many such victims, I lived with my domestic abuser (Comcast) and just considered it my burden, my choice, the one I made, and now I had to live with it.

Why did I wait? Who conditioned me to the hopelessness and misery of life with Comcast as if it were my cross to bear?

Dish had lifted me up - made me understand that we didn't have to live with the abuser we brought into our house with good intentions - we deserve better - and we CAN break the cycle of this abuse. The epiphany unfolding before me became even more clear - I must follow Comcast vehicles and when they stop, I must warn people not to fell prey to them - but that Dish offers a better way. Dish doesn't care what sins were committed with Comcast - they offer forgiveness, and joy, and a better way.

Yes, it is clear - once you escape the satanic grip Comcast exerts, you owe it to your brothers and sisters to be a Disciple of Dish. In fact, I must take a step beyond disciple - I must become "Dish Jesus", and offer life after Comcast to the broken souls crushed by the unholiness known as Xfinity.

Life is good. Now my last challenge is to return to my abuser's house as a new man -  take all my X1 junk down to the Boca Comcast office and try really hard not to throw it at the people who clearly were either lying to me or are just pathetically incompetent.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the support - the forums here and the people who participate are far more helpful than the employees (well, some employees are helpful - they have to remain nameless, ironically).

FWIW, it was SO nice to have PIP (back) and all those tuners and Sling on Sunday, the NFL being my only real TV indulgence. I was literally living a commercial for Dish, including taking the tablet out back to grill and still having full control of live and recorded TV and the tuners. But enough about that. 

I'm under no illusions that my signal will remain 100% at all times. My thoughts on that:

1) I live in Palm Beach County - no snow, and ideal in terms of distance and angle to the satellites in question.

2) No tree could block my dish unless it lands on my roof. Which has happened. See #1. TV is no longer my first concern then.(For a few days, anyway.)

3) We have horrific thunderstorms. I've not had them yet since Dish was installed. A couple of brief ones, but not the tropical type, so I can't comment on that scenario, but I'm prepared for it to be bad. As a Comcast customer (still) - I am conditioned to set my expectations very low.

4) I realize this doesn't compensate for all channels - but I have purchased an indoor amplified antenna for one of the TVs, and I'm pretty happy with that - the 4 majors come in very clear, so I'm looking for an attic mount antenna for a whole house solution. I need this regardless - having been through many hurricanes, cable doesn't last very long - not sure about satellite. Having TV that works is really important during and after the storms, so this investment should not be counted against the satellite install, just the cost of living where I do.

5) Comcast X1 pained me virtually 100% of the time, even when the weather was clear.

There is no cable competition where I am. Probably similar to most people, else we wouldn't be in this sad state in this country. I had no choice but to move to satellite (or OTA) should I wish to leave Comcast.

I believe DirectTV to be a fine provider with good equipment. Many of my friends and neighbors use them and like them.

I chose Dish because we have Dish where I work, and it's usually playing on TVs all over the floor I work on. I'm guessing around 40 of them - I'm rarely out of sight of one. (Don't ask...) I've never seen them wink out, and the channel lineup seemed reasonable. Granted, we may have some special antenna(s), I don't know, so even though I've been through horrible weather there without an interruption in service, I don't assume that will happen at my house. I have a Sling box and used it before Comcast killed all clear QAM, and Sling worked stunningly well, so I felt comfortable when I saw Echo Star had this licensing deal with Sling. And the Dish DVR system with Sling does not disappoint.

I tried really hard to be a Comcast customer. As most of you know, X1 is a work in progress at best, and to make it worse - the work is carried on by a company not really known for excelling. Or caring. Or competing. The remote X1's are not usable at all, really, in my opinion. They need power cycling every day at least, first thing in the morning. They don't pause live TV. They are erratic and slow, and the audio will start chopping.

Comcast misinformed and deceived me (repeatedly) and removed features that were crucial to me, not really a luxury in my eyes - my wife's illness confining her to bed for days at a time (if we're lucky) - at which time she's pretty much got TV and the view of the water out of the sliders and that's it. I explained that to every Comcast employee and only after repeated assurances (the last being in front of her, in person - in my bedroom, so I'm feeling a little extra violated) did I let them remove the old SA/Cisco equipment and install X1.

(Wow, I'm a pacifist at heart, but just typing that last paragraph and recalling the events, I need to talk to my therapist before I see a Comcast truck, or I'm going to be on the evening news.)

Regular Contributor

Hey I don't blame you for making the switch under those conditions but my X1 has been able to pause live tv since the day it was installed but I've seen posts from others who've had the same problem.The only issues I've had is the redlight not going out for awhile -not a big  prob- and 2 shows that didn't record even though they were scheduled.I think comcasts infrastructure probably needs upgrading in areas around the country in order to handle these new platforms.

Contributor

Most of the time the problems are not with the hardware or the guide it is with your account missing some provistioning or rate codes or do not have the right provistioning/rate codes on your account.

Gold Problem Solver

paul1845ga wrote:

I bought an extender for one of my X1 secondary boxes on Amazon - works fine.  Search Amazon for "Infrared Receiver Extender Cable for HD DVR STB's" and find the version that works with your box.  You are trying to get compatibility with both base frequency of IR and also supply voltage (5V or 12V).

Could you post a link to the exact receiver model you purchased for your X1??? THANKS!!!

Frequent Visitor

This is the IR receiver that worked for me with the RNG150 box.  Not sure if there are different versions of X1 out there, so check and be sure your box is listed.

Paul

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JSDHCY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

New Poster

I am sooooo tired of Comcast and the unresolved issue that I have had with my X1 for over two weeks now.  The OnDemand feature does not work on my mail box.  The second box in another room works fine.  It is so frustrating not getting a satisfactory answer from Comcast.  "Tier Two" was supposed to call me over a week ago.... still waiting.

I am not happy that I was not told that I would be a guiney pig while working out all of X1 kinks.
Thinking about a satellite switch.

Urgh!!

Frequent Visitor

Anyone have a experience with the new X5 remote? What are the differences?

Frequent Visitor

That should have been ANY experience. Sorry.

Problem Solver

I've never heard of an "X5 Remote".

Official Employee

http://store.comcast.com/xr5-remote-control/detail.php?p=451385&v=comcast_accessories

It's a backlit remote that's the only difference and its 19.95

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

The X5 remote looks like the remote that Comcast Cable gave to me when i got my X1 Cable Box.The remote is one of the things that i actually like about Comcast Cable.