New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

X1 Service Does Not Guarantee Internal DVR Storage if Cloud DVR Available

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1 of 15

I reached out to Customer Care to get some answers regarding how X1 STB versus Cloud storage worked. This was the response:

In areas that have Cloud DVR capability, most DVR's do not have internal storage and we do not guarantee the internal storage will continue to work in cloud areas. In most cases this is a far superior way of storing and allowing our customers to access the recordings from multiple platforms. The reason we do not typically issue DVR's with internal storage in Cloud DVR area's is it allows the customer the potential to double the storage capacity of other customer's which is unfair, and can cause DVR problems as well with multiple recordings and the device having difficulty accessing one over the other.

There also seems to be no plan to increase storage beyond 50hours.

14 REPLIES
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2 of 15

FixService wrote:

I reached out to Customer Care to get some answers regarding how X1 STB versus Cloud storage worked. This was the response:

In areas that have Cloud DVR capability, most DVR's do not have internal storage and we do not guarantee the internal storage will continue to work in cloud areas. In most cases this is a far superior way of storing and allowing our customers to access the recordings from multiple platforms. The reason we do not typically issue DVR's with internal storage in Cloud DVR area's is it allows the customer the potential to double the storage capacity of other customer's which is unfair, and can cause DVR problems as well with multiple recordings and the device having difficulty accessing one over the other.

There also seems to be no plan to increase storage beyond 50hours.

It appears this is part of another thread (with the quote) so not sure how to proceed. My guess is that the 50 hours was a typo as it is 60 for the cloud DVR. All the DVRs including the latest Xg1v4 have hard drives and record in the home. The cloud records independently of the home DVRs. Was there a question?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 3 of 15

FixService, it's a little unclear what this means. The storage capacity of the Cloud and the internal memory of the actual DVR differ in so much that the actual DVR holds about 500GB of content (it's actually closer to about 420G while the cloud DVR hold the last 60 hours of those recordings regardless of reception. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 4 of 15

The quote was part of the response from the office of Tom Karinshak regarding what X1 service was supposed to provide, namely  I was told  Comast does "not guarantee the internal storage will continue to work in cloud areas."

I see little reason to try to spend any time figuring out how STB versus Cloud storage is managed if Comcast doesn't guarantee any storage beyond Cloud Storage. If the 50 hours was a typo, my efforts to get it corrected have failed.

Time would be better spent requesting that Comcast increase Cloud storage or requesting that STB storage be guaranteed along with X1 service.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 5 of 15

I understand, FixService. Until we have developed an upgrade to increase the specs of the X1 DVR, non X1 DVRs do have external memory capabilities if you're interested in using an external hard drive.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 6 of 15

Why add an external hard drive if X1 service doesn't guarantee it will even use the physical storage STB DVR already has? What Ecare told me today, what I've been told by some representatives, and what ElmerJFudds2 was told "you can't use the extra space on the home DVR once your cloud storage of 60 hours was reached." 

My attempt to clear up even whether it was 50 or 60 hours of Cloud storage wasn't answered. The percentages seem to be base on 60 hours, but if the storage is never allowed to exceed 90% full (which I've been told), then the actual room to store recordings is more like 54 hours.

I would appreciate it if you can show me where it is guaranteed that X1 service will actually allow use the 500gb on the STB and that we can extend our storage via and external hard drive if need be. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 7 of 15

ComcastKenF wrote:
I understand, FixService. Until we have developed an upgrade to increase the specs of the DVR

i'm interested. I have the special 1 TB eSATA drive (from the legacy DVR days) hooked up to the Xg1 DVR but so far the DVR has never accessed it. How do you enable the external storage drive?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 8 of 15

FixService: 

Info on External storage: 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage-faqs/ 

X1 DVR overview: 

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/digital-cable-tv/x1

Rustyben, did you ever get a format screen when first connecting to your DVR? 

KenF

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 9 of 15
Adding to Ken, nothing has changed in regards to X1 platform and external storage. Still not available

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 10 of 15

ComcastKenF wrote:

FixService: 

Info on External storage: 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage-faqs/ 

X1 DVR overview: 

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/digital-cable-tv/x1

Rustyben, did you ever get a format screen when first connecting to your DVR? 

KenF

no, never. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 11 of 15

Rustyben, 

Apologies for the mix-up. It looks like external hard drives are not compatible with X1 TV Boxes which explains why you didn't receive the prompt. Motorola and Cisco/Scientific Atlantic Comcast DVR boxes are the only ones supporting this feature at this time. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 12 of 15

Even if the X1 STB has a 500gb drive as https://www.xfinity.com/learn/digital-cable-tv/x1 claims, the X1 software may be throttling back how much of that space is being used by the algorithm that controls it in conjunction with the Cloud storage. Other than the forums, I have yet to find a reference that confirms or denies that when a recording is deleting from the Cloud DVR to make your, it will not be deleted from the STB DVR. If there is such a reference beyond the forums, let me know.

One reason I believe there is throttling is becuse Customer Service representatives have told me so. The other reason is because the X1 Services Overview says "Currently, the X1 DVR can record 50 total hours of HD and/or SD programming." This is in conflict with More great DVR options from Xfinity and  X1 AnyRoom DVR - What it is and How it Works  that say "Record and store up to 60 hours of HD programming or 300 hours of SD programming." 50 STB DVR hours is less than the 60 Cloud DVR hours I think I am allocated, but if the algortithm starts deleting recordings at 90% full as I've been told, I'll more likely get at most about 54 hours of Cloud DVR storage.

I was hoping Comcast would be willing to clear up the conflicting statements and provide documentation that would clarify the throttling issue. Instead the resolution from Ecare was that Comcast will "not guarantee the internal storage will continue to work in cloud areas." Thus, while I may currently be luck to have 50, 60 or 300 hours of SD recording space available on STB DVR that roughly service to back up some of my Cloud storage it doesn't seem as the Comcast is at all committed to that in the future.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 13 of 15

FixService wrote:

Even if the X1 STB has a 500gb drive as https://www.xfinity.com/learn/digital-cable-tv/x1 claims, the X1 software may be throttling back how much of that space is being used by the algorithm that controls it in conjunction with the Cloud storage. Other than the forums, I have yet to find a reference that confirms or denies that when a recording is deleting from the Cloud DVR to make your, it will not be deleted from the STB DVR. If there is such a reference beyond the forums, let me know.

One reason I believe there is throttling is becuse Customer Service representatives have told me so. The other reason is because the X1 Services Overview says "Currently, the X1 DVR can record 50 total hours of HD and/or SD programming." This is in conflict with More great DVR options from Xfinity and  X1 AnyRoom DVR - What it is and How it Works  that say "Record and store up to 60 hours of HD programming or 300 hours of SD programming." 50 STB DVR hours is less than the 60 Cloud DVR hours I think I am allocated, but if the algortithm starts deleting recordings at 90% full as I've been told, I'll more likely get at most about 54 hours of Cloud DVR storage.

I was hoping Comcast would be willing to clear up the conflicting statements and provide documentation that would clarify the throttling issue. Instead the resolution from Ecare was that Comcast will "not guarantee the internal storage will continue to work in cloud areas." Thus, while I may currently be luck to have 50, 60 or 300 hours of SD recording space available on STB DVR that roughly service to back up some of my Cloud storage it doesn't seem as the Comcast is at all committed to that in the future.

I think it is more probable that the space not available is used for storing the TSB (time-shift-buffer) as well as the current recording schedule for that particular DVR. It of course would also be where a downloaded firmware would be stored until applied or stored during the daily update reboot. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Highlighted
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 14 of 15

Hi everyone,

Wanted to give some info: The DVR harddrive offers 500gb of storage. The Cloud storage will hold the most recent 60 hours of recordings and will delete older recordings from the cloud only when space needs to be reclaimed. If recordings are marked for "save for 1 year" on your box or from the mobile/web DVR features, they will not be automatically deleted to reclaim space and will be saved for 1 year.

For backup, we do allow cloud recordings to be shown on the TV (for example, when you swap your box and lose recordings that were stored in that box or when something goes wrong and a recording cannot be recorded to your box due to an error). In those cases, you'll be able to stream the recording from the cloud right onto your box. When cloud recordings are shown on the box, they still adhere to cloud rules for space. So, if a cloud recording was being shown on your box, when cloud space needs to be reclaimed, that cloud recording could be removed. However, when copies of recordings are stored on your box, the cloud deletions do not affect them.

Hope this helps,

Gwen

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 15 of 15

ComcastGwen: I realize that may be how it currently works and how most folks on the forums think it works. My issue is that not all of Field, Customer Support, Customer Care representatives are giving out that message. Nor is the Xfinity website is consistent regarding the commitment guaranteeing DVR storage as well as cloud storage in the future. I spoke to a Regional Executive on August 17th who said Comcast would work to correct the training and documentation.  I haven't seen the changes yet and I realize things take time. However it took 3 months worth of talking to customer service, swapping out a DVR, and getting screen shots from an internal Comcast Storage tool  before I could finally have confidence X1 was even using our DVR. It shouldn't be so hard. I should be easily able to tell what is stored on the physical DVR and the Cloud DVR. The fact that it is hidden does not give me confidence that  internal DVR storage will continue to be provided - the software provided to customers is designed to hide it. Here are a couple official comcast pages that are incorrect, misleading, or uncommitted as to current and potentially future capabilities:

• https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-overview/#Stored : "Currently, the X1 DVR can record 50 total hours of HD and/or SD programming." (Emphasis is mine.This is very loosely worded as to limit the recordings to only 50 hours of HD, 50 hours of SD, with no guarantee that if you have Cloud capability that the DVR storage will still be available in the future. Had I not been told repeatedly that Comcast wasn't guaranteeing DVR storage along with cloud, I would not be so cynical.)
  • https://www.xfinity.com/learn/digital-cable-tv/x1 : "Watch your recorded shows from anywhere, even while you're offline. Just download your content to any device and tune in whenever and wherever you want." "Never run out of space with 500GB of storage" which has a cloud icon next it.This makes it seem that the Cloud and Physical DVR  are one and the same. There is no mention that the 500gb is just on the physical DVR and that the Cloud DVR is limited to 60 hours. Nor is there even a link to learn more about storage. The  claim on this page and others that you'll "never run out of space" is misleading. 500gb of HD recordings or 60 hours HD/SD recording is very limited.  One cannot "store hundreds" of shows" if all you record are HD - it is more like 60. 

Beside the documentation improvements, it would help if Comcast provided tools that allowed customers to see via the website, streaming app, or TV:

• which stored programs are DVR only,  Cloud only, or both Cloud/DVR
  • how much space is allocated and used on the Cloud and on the DVR rather than simply a % full

I should not have to maintain a spreadsheet or visually compare what my TV reports versus the website report to figure this out. (I've requested as much via othe posts and comment to the Regional Exec.)

I'm sorry, but at this point I need to see some changes from Comcast to gain a sense of their commitment. Once I see them I'll be delighted to make a happy post about Comcast listening to their customers.