Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

5,874,973

members

728

online

29,260

topics

Top

X1 Remote not controling volume

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

X1 Remote not controling volume

We have 2 TV Boxes Comcast has them showing on our bill as "Service To Additional TV With TV Box". One of the boxes was not working at all. To determine this we swapped it with the box that was working and that one worker. We took the malfunctioning box to the store and got a new box. Installed the new box as directed and still did not work. Returned the box and got another box and forgot to take the remote with me so now I have 2 remotes. Hooked that box up and didn't work, looked like the box was not talking with the TV. Called Comcast and a service rep worked with me for a good while sending signals and so forth and we finally got the box to work EXCEPT it will not control the volume. I did all the setup directions more than once and we finally got 1 of the remotes to do everything but volumn control and the extra remote controls the volumn. Anyway I can have just 1 remote? Currently I have 1 remote for volumn and another for everything else.

Accepted Solution

Re: X1 Remote not controling volume


greatpops wrote:

Yes, I did all that many, many times. Still need 2 remotes on controls everything except the volume the other one just for volume.


when the screen asks did that work (the code) to control volume, did you answer now and try the next code and the next code and if none of the codes worked use the manual search process?

View answer in context
Service Expert

Re: X1 Remote not controling volume


greatpops wrote:

We have 2 TV Boxes Comcast has them showing on our bill as "Service To Additional TV With TV Box". One of the boxes was not working at all. To determine this we swapped it with the box that was working and that one worker. We took the malfunctioning box to the store and got a new box. Installed the new box as directed and still did not work. Returned the box and got another box and forgot to take the remote with me so now I have 2 remotes. Hooked that box up and didn't work, looked like the box was not talking with the TV. Called Comcast and a service rep worked with me for a good while sending signals and so forth and we finally got the box to work EXCEPT it will not control the volume. I did all the setup directions more than once and we finally got 1 of the remotes to do everything but volumn control and the extra remote controls the volumn. Anyway I can have just 1 remote? Currently I have 1 remote for volumn and another for everything else.


Hi, is this an X1 set top box? does the TV's remote work to adjust the volume? did you press the A button and and select and run the Remote Setup process? do you have a receiver or sound bar that is actually making the sound (speakers)?




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Remote not controling volume

Not sure about X1 desktop box we have a main DVR and 2 boxes that allow us to operate our kitchen and bedroom TVs in HD. Our TVs remote does control the sound. I have tried the A button setup over and over it doesn't work. Appreciate any more ideas.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Remote not controling volume

Whoops, forgot to answer no sound bar just an ordinary TV for our kitchen.

Service Expert

Re: X1 Remote not controling volume


greatpops wrote:

Not sure about X1 desktop box we have a main DVR and 2 boxes that allow us to operate our kitchen and bedroom TVs in HD. Our TVs remote does control the sound. I have tried the A button setup over and over it doesn't work. Appreciate any more ideas.


did you enter the code(s) in that process and hitting 'all set' did you go to the screen that says "Let's check if that worked. Using your remote, try adjusting the volume on your TV" (and then select worked or didn't work - did you do that process? did it adjust the volume?




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Remote not controling volume

Yes, I did all that many, many times. Still need 2 remotes on controls everything except the volume the other one just for volume.

Service Expert

Re: X1 Remote not controling volume


greatpops wrote:

Yes, I did all that many, many times. Still need 2 remotes on controls everything except the volume the other one just for volume.


when the screen asks did that work (the code) to control volume, did you answer now and try the next code and the next code and if none of the codes worked use the manual search process?




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Remote not controling volume

Yes, I tried every combination. Still did not control volume.

Service Expert

Re: X1 Remote not controling volume


greatpops wrote:

Yes, I tried every combination. Still did not control volume.


did you do the manual search routine too? (runs through hundreds of codes)




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1422 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation