Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

X1 Quality vs legacy box from comcast

Frequent Visitor

X1 Quality vs legacy box from comcast

I have used comcast/xfinity for many years now. I used to be happy with the quality for sports and so on. I upgraded to X1 when it was available and returned it within a month because of problems with equipment (which have been resolved in my second outing), but also because the sports just did not look good on my 50 inch TV's (first a samsung plasma, now a sony LED 120 hz). I forgot the second part, but noticed it today when I watched the fox broacast of the Vikings game on my largest TV. Last weeks game wasn't much better, but I thought it was just NBC. I decided to go back to X1 recently because it seemed they worked out the kinks with the operating system. I hadn't really noticed a problem with the regular programming, that seemed fine. I had forgotten how poorly though X1 worked with the sporting broadcasts on some channels. Baseball on FSN looks ok, but I am really into football and hockey. As a hockey fan and when I first switched from the X1 back to the legacy box, I noticed a signifigant improvement. I wished I had remembered that, because now I am very disappointed with the football games. I have great signal, have turned off all smoothing and motion control (and tried differing levels of those options), and tried manipulating every feature of my Sony TV that is now just about a year old. It is especially noticable when there is major movement of the camera, however closeups of the players are sharp and crisp. Fox is the worst, NBC is pretty bad, but CBS looks pretty good. I live in Minneapolis MN to give you an idea of my service area. If hockey is as bad when it starts up this fall, I wonder if I can go back again? The bad part though is that I then have to have 3 dvr's, one for each TV. I like having a central one and the satellite boxes because it is more cost effective. Will this be fixed anytime soon, or will I have to get my own DVR/Tivo, and record from the antenna? I have been a huge fan of cable and willing to pay the price for the quality, but now it seems that quality is lacking. BTW I am an ex-installer and know how to verify my signal strength,a nd quality of my connections. I am also a videophile and understand the settings of my TV and other equipment. This is an issue of the X1 equipment vs the 3 dvr setup I had only 4 months ago. Is it compression on certain channels? Is it the fact that I DVR the games and watch while they are recording? I did a test record on CBS football and that looked fine. Was it just todays Fox broadcast of the game (vikings vs steelers) I am currently dissapointed, but willing to work within the system to get a good picture.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Quality vs legacy box from comcast

While I agree with much of what you are saying, I am going to challenge you on a couple of things.

1. X1's picture quality is highly debatable. MUCH has been written in this forum about it. I suggest you become friends with the forum search box.
2. Sorry but the TV sets you own do not qualify you as a videophile. Check back in when you own a high end Panasonic plasma, Pioneer Kuro or an LG OLED. Any Sony LED is second tier and cannot be considered a videophile product. Samsungs current lineup of LED TV sets is well ahead of Sony.
3. How do you know that you have great signal?. Has a Comcast tech been to your house? Do you have the latest QAM signal testing equipment? The only person that can fully test all of X1 signals is a tech who is onsite.

Please consider the idea that while X1 might be new for you, it has been around for over four years now. It is unlikely that you would add anything to this forum that hasn't been discussed countless times before.

Now that I am done scolding you I will agree with you. X1's picture quality leaves a great deal to be desired. It is soft and muted. I find myself watching OTA and my Roku Ultra more and more. HOWEVER "pixeling" is almost always an incoming signal issue and should be addressed by a tech visit.

dafeiker wrote:

I have used comcast/xfinity for many years now. I used to be happy with the quality for sports and so on. I upgraded to X1 when it was available and returned it within a month because of problems with equipment (which have been resolved in my second outing), but also because the sports just did not look good on my 50 inch TV's (first a samsung plasma, now a sony LED 120 hz). I forgot the second part, but noticed it today when I watched the fox broacast of the Vikings game on my largest TV. Last weeks game wasn't much better, but I thought it was just NBC. I decided to go back to X1 recently because it seemed they worked out the kinks with the operating system. I hadn't really noticed a problem with the regular programming, that seemed fine. I had forgotten how poorly though X1 worked with the sporting broadcasts on some channels. Baseball on FSN looks ok, but I am really into football and hockey. As a hockey fan and when I first switched from the X1 back to the legacy box, I noticed a signifigant improvement. I wished I had remembered that, because now I am very disappointed with the football games. I have great signal, have turned off all smoothing and motion control (and tried differing levels of those options), and tried manipulating every feature of my Sony TV that is now just about a year old. It is especially noticable when there is major movement of the camera, however closeups of the players are sharp and crisp. Fox is the worst, NBC is pretty bad, but CBS looks pretty good. I live in Minneapolis MN to give you an idea of my service area. If hockey is as bad when it starts up this fall, I wonder if I can go back again? The bad part though is that I then have to have 3 dvr's, one for each TV. I like having a central one and the satellite boxes because it is more cost effective. Will this be fixed anytime soon, or will I have to get my own DVR/Tivo, and record from the antenna? I have been a huge fan of cable and willing to pay the price for the quality, but now it seems that quality is lacking. BTW I am an ex-installer and know how to verify my signal strength,a nd quality of my connections. I am also a videophile and understand the settings of my TV and other equipment. This is an issue of the X1 equipment vs the 3 dvr setup I had only 4 months ago. Is it compression on certain channels? Is it the fact that I DVR the games and watch while they are recording? I did a test record on CBS football and that looked fine. Was it just todays Fox broadcast of the game (vikings vs steelers) I am currently dissapointed, but willing to work within the system to get a good picture.

Frequent Visitor

The TV sets I own are because of my income, not because of my choice. They are the best available for the money bugeted for entertainment. That does not mean however that I do not know what I am talking about.  I got the last available plasma TV in the area as the prices were slashed because they were discontinued. That was the only way I was able to afford one. The Sony was the replacement offered when the plasma screen developed a fault and there were no parts for repair. 

vid·e·o·phile
ˈvidēəˌfīl/
noun

1. an enthusiast for or devotee of video recordings or video technology.

I see no qualifications in this definition that says you have to own a certain grade of TV. Nor is my knowlege limited to just television. I named those TV's because those are the ones I have experinced a noticible issue with. I also have a 4k UHD that is not part of the equation as I use that for streaming and blu ray.  

How do I know about the signal? Because I did have a tech out. Twice. Once when X1 was installed, and again after I had issue. He measured the signal at all the points I have cable inside. Because when I upgraded I wanted to be sure it all worked correctly. I would have had him address any signal issue at that time. Also, you can monitor signal strength from the cable box if you know the command. So I noted what it was after he read it with his equipment, and the box still shows similar numbers. So I don't think there has been a noticible physical change. 

X1 is not new to me. If you would have comprehended my post, you would have noted that I had it installed as soon as it was available in my area, and removed it after about a month because of performance. I decided to try it again because I was assured the issues were all resolved. Most of them seem to be. 

I don't feel scolded or challenged, I feel judged and insulted. If pixelating is a signal issue, why did 3 legacy dvrs have a perfect picture but x1 looks poor (for certain specific sport broadcasts)? At the time it was first installed they did not let you do a self install, that way the tech could verify the signal was good to go. I have read many of your snarky responses on these forums. In many of them you state that X1 provided a great picture for you, so I was suprised to see that now you find it "debatable". I however was speaking directly about today's telecast and what I can expect in the future in my area. The posts I read on the subject were in IL, and New England areas. I am in MN. I have researched the forums, I found this one searching the internet for people that have experienced my issue.  So, if you don't have anything helpful to add, why bother responding? Do you just enjoy denegrating people?

Again, I am not your average customer. Not only am I into video equipment, I am also a technophile. Please, no more insults. 

Gold Problem Solver

Simple,

X1 boxes have entirely different signal requirements than legacy boxes. What worked for legacy boxes often does not work for X1 boxes (well documented in this forum).

I don't think X1's picture quality is great. I think it is soft and muted. That is why I watch OTA, my Roku Ultra or my 4K Sony Blu-ray player whenever possible. As I write this, I am watching the Falcons/Packers game on NBC using my $20 indoor HD antenna and the picture is better than X1. However "pixeling" when watching live TV is an incoming signal issue. There is little else is can be.

You may have had techs out but it sounds like you need another one...

I live in MN. I am not trying to insult you. I am trying to get on on the right track. You can start with rethinking your belief that what worked for legacy boxes will work with X1 because it often doesn't (happened to me a little over four year ago).

You need look no further than this forum. Your best shot at answers are here. As I stated earlier, you might want to become friends with this forum's search box and do more research.

Then there is the issue of picture settings. Most of today's TV sets come out of the box wildly misadjusted. Even the best Sony and Samsung LED sets (I am not a fan of LCD/LED sets) look terrible unless they are adjusted. Is your Sony calibrated? If not you might want to check into it.

dafeiker wrote:

The TV sets I own are because of my income, not because of my choice. They are the best available for the money bugeted for entertainment. That does not mean however that I do not know what I am talking about.  I got the last available plasma TV in the area as the prices were slashed because they were discontinued. That was the only way I was able to afford one. The Sony was the replacement offered when the plasma screen developed a fault and there were no parts for repair. 

vid·e·o·phile
ˈvidēəˌfīl/
noun

1. an enthusiast for or devotee of video recordings or video technology.

I see no qualifications in this definition that says you have to own a certain grade of TV. Nor is my knowlege limited to just television. I named those TV's because those are the ones I have experinced a noticible issue with. I also have a 4k UHD that is not part of the equation as I use that for streaming and blu ray.  

How do I know about the signal? Because I did have a tech out. Twice. Once when X1 was installed, and again after I had issue. He measured the signal at all the points I have cable inside. Because when I upgraded I wanted to be sure it all worked correctly. I would have had him address any signal issue at that time. Also, you can monitor signal strength from the cable box if you know the command. So I noted what it was after he read it with his equipment, and the box still shows similar numbers. So I don't think there has been a noticible physical change. 

X1 is not new to me. If you would have comprehended my post, you would have noted that I had it installed as soon as it was available in my area, and removed it after about a month because of performance. I decided to try it again because I was assured the issues were all resolved. Most of them seem to be. 

I don't feel scolded or challenged, I feel judged and insulted. If pixelating is a signal issue, why did 3 legacy dvrs have a perfect picture but x1 looks poor (for certain specific sport broadcasts)? At the time it was first installed they did not let you do a self install, that way the tech could verify the signal was good to go. I have read many of your snarky responses on these forums. In many of them you state that X1 provided a great picture for you, so I was suprised to see that now you find it "debatable". I however was speaking directly about today's telecast and what I can expect in the future in my area. The posts I read on the subject were in IL, and New England areas. I am in MN. I have researched the forums, I found this one searching the internet for people that have experienced my issue.  So, if you don't have anything helpful to add, why bother responding? Do you just enjoy denegrating people?

Again, I am not your average customer. Not only am I into video equipment, I am also a technophile. Please, no more insults. 

Highlighted
Service Expert

My son found that I had changed a setting on my Samsung 3D TV from Dynamic to Movie a long time ago.  When he changed it back to Dynamic my picture improved noticeably.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Robert,

Most people find Dynamic to be the worst preset unless the room is drenched by direct sunlight.

At night I find Dynamic to be unwatchable. Standard or Cinema is much better is a dark room. Cinema is considered to be a closest to a movie theater appearance.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for a more informative and less snarky reply.  I can have a tech come out again if you really think that is the issue. However, I am curious then why some channels look just fine but others have issue, mainly sports programs. CBS (great)football vs Fox (poor), I know CBS broadcasts in 1080 and fox at 720, but I have also read in these very forums that it is all sent in the same format over comcast (is that really true?). FSN being great for baseball, but not so good for hockey. But total satisfaction on all channels with the legacy boxes. Is it encoding? Is it the signal our local provider gets or sends? Is it because so many are watching the Vikings at the same time that the signal is degregated by so many using it at the same time (that was actually a DSL internet thing, as more used it the service would degrade... but I thought since I am stabbing at straws here)? Is it because I should watch it live instead of delayed on DVR? Is it better to wait for the whole program to finish recording before watching it? Could it be because I am recording several programs at the same time? Signal loss on only some channels? Would my sony need to be calibrated only for issues with certian cable channels only on certain programs, not from any other input or channel? I guess I do not follow the logic there. Since you do live in MN do you see issue with Fox and NBC? Do you watch hockey? Have you compared the legacy to the X1 system? Do you use the DVR? These are the answers I am looking for. Are these specific to me or are others experiencing the same issues in the same way? Is the signal decoder/video generator in the X1 box inferior to the legacy box? Should I be using the more updated HDMI cable then the one provided by Xfinity? I have seen mention of these things on these forums, but no real difinative answer. 

Frequent Visitor

Hmm. Looks like after researching these forums, that some sporting events just do not go well with X1. It is great for most of my programming, but I will probably have to get an antenna. Any good suggestions on a way to record broadcast TV in good quality?

Contributor

dafeiker I had the same problem when I switched to the X1 box about a year ago.Picture was just better with the old box.Noticed it the second I hooked the new box up.Had a tech to the house and all that.Told everything was fine.Even got a brand new high end tv and top of the line HDMI cable.Some channels are better then others.But over all picture was better with old box.Everyone on here will have thier own opinion as to why.I can respect thier opinions but I know there is a difference in picture quality from old box to new.I figured I just have to live with it.Shame on Comcast though.When my contract is up I may shop for another provider.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation