Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

X1 Freezing and Stuttering during Live TV or DVR playback with Xbox One (fixed it)

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 1 of 16 (9,169 Views)

X1 Freezing and Stuttering during Live TV or DVR playback with Xbox One (fixed it)

My X1 DVR started freezing and stuttering during Live TV or DVR playback.  It would play for 45 seconds to a minute and then freeze (or drop signal) for a 20 to 60 seconds or so and then continue. 

I decided to write this because I figured out the problem I was having and wanted to post it in case others run across this problem.

The problem was my XBox One.  Apparently, the Xbox One started putting out a signal through the passthru that the DVR couldn't handle.  Removing the passthru fixed the problem, but reconnecting it caused the problem to come back.  I plugged another source (a DVD player) into the XBox One and their was no stuttering or problems, so I suspect it is the X1 being sensitive to the HDMI signal. 

Turning off and on the Xbox One didn't help.  It worked for weeks (I got my Xbox one a month ago).  Finally, I disconnected the Xbox One from power for a minute and replugged it in.  After the longer reboot, the cable box is working again with the XBox One Passthru.

Hopefully, if anyone else is having this type of issue and have an Xbox One, this will fix it. It also gives a little insight to the fact that the X1 DVR is sensitive to HDMI tolerances, so people experiencing this type of behaviour without an Xbox One may want to try a new HDMI cable.

15 REPLIES
Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 2 of 16 (9,101 Views)

Re: X1 Freezing and Stuttering during Live TV or DVR playback with Xbox One (fixed it

Thank you, thank you! I was calling techs, and was going to have someone come out. I thought it could be the One but I wasn't sure how to fix that. I followed what you said to do and it's great again! Thank you again!
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 3 of 16 (9,094 Views)

Re: X1 Freezing and Stuttering during Live TV or DVR playback with Xbox One (fixed it

Smiley Happy Great! Glad I could help. That's why I posted it. 

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 4 of 16 (9,066 Views)

I had the same issue yesterday when playing back a dvr'd recording. Reseating the cables didn't work but unplugging everything did.
Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 5 of 16 (9,025 Views)

I was having this issue and the stuttering issue and finally managed to solve both today (12-28).

When xbone asked for me cable box manufacturer I mistakenly thought they wanted the information they were actually asking for (ie motorola makes my cable box), so I put in motorola and it would freeze every 10-15 seconds and constantly stutter through motion. When I changed my cable box maker to Comcast (my service provider, but NOT my box manufacturer) the freezing problem went away.

As for the stuttering:
I had previously tried switching all HDMI cables, changing to 720p (worked, but I'm not downgrading my tv resolution, comes in at 1080i) and tried changing settings on my cable box and television (samsung 7100). On the xbox display settings menu I changed the TV connection from HDMI (auto-detect) to "HDMI". I have no idea why this worked, but it did for me, I recommend people that are experiencing stuttering issues try this.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 6 of 16 (7,553 Views)

You brilliant SOB! This was driving me crazy for the past few days. I'm bypassing splitters, pulling cable cords, powercycling my box etc, I thought for sure it was a signal issue, then I was like maybe other people are having this issue with an xbox one connected so I did a google search and sure enough I find your post and all is great now. I just hope it lasts until they can get an update out to these X1 boxes. 

To resolve my problem I did the following in this specific order. I powered everything down. pulled the power cable and hdmi from the X1 box, pulled the power and both hdmi cables from the back of the xbox one. Then plugged both hdmi's to the back of the xbox one, followed by the power, then I plugged the hdmi and power back into the X1 box, booted everything up and voila!

Thanks for taking the time to post this! I'm actually a comcast employee currently in training to support the X1 boxes so this will be excellent feedback for us and for future calls that I'm sure we will be receving. 

Thanks again.

Jason

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 7 of 16 (7,551 Views)

Glad I could help.  :-)

Posted by
Visitor
Message 8 of 16 (6,517 Views)

Thank you! I was just having the same problem. I first tried switching around all my HDMI cables and even tried new ones...no luck. I think tried rebooting the cable box and the problem still exisited. After I read your post I tried unplugging the Xbox One and letting it reboot. After that the signal took a minute or two to come back and I haven't seen the stutter/freeze problem since then. Excellent post!

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 9 of 16 (6,495 Views)

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 10 of 16 (6,487 Views)

FYI the link in this response doesn't seem to be working.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 11 of 16 (6,484 Views)

jcucco wrote:

FYI the link in this response doesn't seem to be working.

It's not supposed to...  : )

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 12 of 16 (4,450 Views)

BOOM!!!
Thank you, did the trick :-)
I wonder if stray voltage is coming off of some piece of my sound system etc. causing this...
If a hard power down is all it takes then I am good with that
Posted by
Edited on
‎01-19-2015 07:27 PM

Silver Problem Solver

Message 13 of 16 (4,445 Views)

[ Edited ]

The trick here is that the Xbox One, by default, does not fully turn off. It goes into it's "instant on" mode, which, like a PC, is just a low power sleep mode, but lots of things still stay in active memory. And, like any other electrical device, it needs rebooted every once in a while to keep things fresh. 

You can also FULLY reboot the Xbox One by holding the power button on the front for 10 seconds, or going to settings, power, reboot now. Also in the power menu is an option to turn the instant on mode off, if you want.

I do wish Microsoft would have made the instant on mode something that the user needed to opt in to, rather than just setting it to that by default. So many people don't realize that they aren't rebooting their consoles.

Personally, I do have my Comcast X1 Arris DVR going through my Xbox One's HDMI passthrough and have no real issues, however my Xbox One does get rebooted (for gaming-related issues) frequently anyway, via the power menu. I've never had to unplug it.

Anyway, bypassing devices should be the first thing you try for picture quality issues. The same concept applies to any other devices that people may have hooked up too, make sure you're doing FULL reboots, and not just putting the device in sleep or standby.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 14 of 16 (4,213 Views)

After one week I lost audio output while watching tv thru the Xbox using the X1 DVR, I followed the steps to "restart" the Xbox one and then audio was restored!
Restarting the xboxone is a lot easier than pulling the cords off the back to do a hard reboot.
Thank you very much!!
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 15 of 16 (4,206 Views)

boot_sequence wrote:
After one week I lost audio output while watching tv thru the Xbox using the X1 DVR, I followed the steps to "restart" the Xbox one and then audio was restored!
Restarting the xboxone is a lot easier than pulling the cords off the back to do a hard reboot.
Thank you very much!!

you can do same 'effect' by toggling the x1 box into power save mode (hit and release the round power button) and then press button again to bring out of power save mode.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 16 of 16 (4,163 Views)

Mine was doing this all of a sudden 2 days in a row last week.  I simply pushed pause and let the show back up and then pressed play to resume watching.

Though this seems like a quick and dirty fix, it shouldn't be doing this on LIVE shows.  Especially if watching a football game LOL