New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

X1 DVR

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1- DVR Can't access recordings

I am getting the message on all four boxes.

New Poster

Re: X1 DVR

Recording is working as is Xfinity TV,  but selecting a saved DVR program to play results in DVR screen, then the dots stop with DVR still displayed. 

Regular Contributor

I keep getting near the end of a recording and the fast forward or skip forward apparently takes me too close to the end, and the DVR decides I watched the whole show, kicks me out, and asks if I want to delete it.  I don't want to delete it, I want to rewind back a minute and watch the end, but I'm already out of the show.  Then when I go back to the recording I'm at the very beginning, which is quite annoying when I have to fast forward through a 3 hour football game or 2.5 hour movie to watch the last 30 seconds.

Is there any other way?

Regular Contributor

...Also, when watching from the main box with the DVR, if you rewind back into the buffer to watch an earlier part of the show (something you used to be able to do with no issues) and go too close to the beginning of the buffer, instead of just stopping at that point, it skips me all the way back to live TV about half of the time.

Once again a terrible implementation, totally annoying and unnecessary.

I assume the "solution", is to hit record and go to the DVR and go back to the beginning of the recording?  Although I've had issues where the recording didn't start at the begininning of the buffer, and only started from live forward.

And that process adds a ridiculous number of button clicks since there's no easy way to get to a recording, which wouldn't be that much of an issue if there wasn't any delay.

I'm still holding out hope that all of these glitches and downgrades from the previous DVR functionality are being worked on before a cloud implementation.  With the current response times on my sattellite boxes I can only imagine the disaster a cloud recording is going to be.

Service Expert

tctc wrote:

I keep getting near the end of a recording and the fast forward or skip forward apparently takes me too close to the end, and the DVR decides I watched the whole show, kicks me out, and asks if I want to delete it.  I don't want to delete it, I want to rewind back a minute and watch the end, but I'm already out of the show.  Then when I go back to the recording I'm at the very beginning, which is quite annoying when I have to fast forward through a 3 hour football game or 2.5 hour movie to watch the last 30 seconds.

Is there any other way?

If you try to skip ahead wihtin the last 5 minutes it doesn't work.... if you FFW then you invariably end up at the end... it is a known bug that COmcast is aware of and is looking into.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Service Expert

tctc wrote:

Is there any other way?

I posted in another thread that they just stop the recording not end the playback before asking to delete then allow a simple reverse arrow to back up from end of recording. no response from comcast.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

bix21 wrote:

Recording is working as is Xfinity TV,  but selecting a saved DVR program to play results in DVR screen, then the dots stop with DVR still displayed. 

does playback work from any of your x1 DVRs? this is classic MoCA like problem.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

DVR not working

I cannot access my recorded shows or record new shows on my TV set top box. I see them and can watch them from my xfinity tv app on my iPad or iPhone. I tried rebooting the set top box and that did not work. Anyone know what would cause this?
Problem Solver
Moved:

Re: DVR not working

Problem Solver

Is this issue with the DVR or secondary x1 stb?
Frequent Visitor

All boxes. I get the same message on all three boxes I have including the main box.
Frequent Visitor

Go to Verizon!!!, I got feed up with Comcast, the same happened to me over and over, I was seriusly considering a law siut for all the time that I waisted over the phone, I did proposed a class action, if somebody start one please count me in!

Think about it the service it's not what they promote in their TV commercials!

Problem Solver

It sounds to me like a server issue, but you could try the link below..
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Anyroom-re-sync-procedure/td-p/2293131
Problem Solver

Gmdudley wrote:
I cannot access my recorded shows or record new shows on my TV set top box. I see them and canwatch them from myxfinitytv app on myiPad oriPhone. I tried rebooting the set top box and that did not work. Anyone know what would cause this?

Your account needed some signals sent out.  Now it looks a lot better.  Can you check on your end?

Brandon

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Frequent Visitor

Woke up this morning and it's working on all boxes. Thanks for you help
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I am a relatively new X1 user, having used several releases of TiVo boxes since 2002.  I was very reluctant to switch to the X1, as I considered the TiVo to have the BEST user interface of any DVR box out there. What made me switch to the X1 was the ability to record 4 at once and the convenience of having it part of a new Comcast installation.

I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised.  No, the X1 does not have every feature streamlined as well as the TiVo, but once I got used to the X1's UI, I missed the TiVo less and less.  I have found some UI glitches, however, and was wondering if any of these are "known issues".  If not, please consider these as enhancement requests for a (hopefully near) future release of the X1 software.

1. Enh Request:  New series to be recorded should show up at bottom of Priority list.
Description:  When I add a new Series to be recorded, the newly-added series goes to the TOP of the priority list.  This caused a long-standing series (Survivor) to show a conflict after I added a new series which recorded at the same time.  If this new series had been placed at the bottom of the priority list, IT would have shown the conflict rather than my already-scheduled Survivor showing.

2.  Enh Request:  Please allow me to change to a specific channel for recording purposes.
Description: There are many series on my list which have "marathons", where an alternate station airs 10-20 episodes in a row.  I have these series set to record "Only New", but the marathons still end up on my Scheduled list (even though they do not show "New" in the listing).   I went to Series Priority and pressed the INFO key, attempting to change it to record on a specific channel, but the only options were "HD Preferred" and "SD Preferred".  

3. Enh Request:  Make "Conflict Recording" stand out more, in the Scheduled list.
Description:  Due to #2 above, where I have to manually cancel 10-20 "marathon" episodes of a series, my Scheduled list shows a huge number of red "Cancelled Recording" markers.  Because the "Conflict Recording" marker looks almost exactly the same, I have accidentally missed the fact that there was a conflict.  Suggestions:  make the text (name of the show) red for conflics, use a larger red circle icon, or have he word "Conflict" display in all caps.  Something to make it stand out!

4.  Enh Request:  Need a shortcut key to jump to the bottom of any list
Wow my Pg Dn key gets a workout whenever I need to go to the bottom of Saved, Scheduled, or Series Priority lists.  A button-press would be really helpful here.

5.  Make it an option/preference to show / not show Cancelled Recordings in the Scheduled list.

Thanks for listening!

Deb

Service Expert

dbranco wrote:

Hi, I am a relatively new X1 user, having used several releases of TiVo boxes since 2002.  I was very reluctant to switch to the X1, as I considered the TiVo to have the BEST user interface of any DVR box out there. What made me switch to the X1 was the ability to record 4 at once and the convenience of having it part of a new Comcast installation.

I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised.  No, the X1 does not have every feature streamlined as well as the TiVo, but once I got used to the X1's UI, I missed the TiVo less and less.  I have found some UI glitches, however, and was wondering if any of these are "known issues".  If not, please consider these as enhancement requests for a (hopefully near) future release of the X1 software.

1. Enh Request:  New series to be recorded should show up at bottom of Priority list.
Description:  When I add a new Series to be recorded, the newly-added series goes to the TOP of the priority list.  This caused a long-standing series (Survivor) to show a conflict after I added a new series which recorded at the same time.  If this new series had been placed at the bottom of the priority list, IT would have shown the conflict rather than my already-scheduled Survivor showing.

2.  Enh Request:  Please allow me to change to a specific channel for recording purposes.
Description: There are many series on my list which have "marathons", where an alternate station airs 10-20 episodes in a row.  I have these series set to record "Only New", but the marathons still end up on my Scheduled list (even though they do not show "New" in the listing).   I went to Series Priority and pressed the INFO key, attempting to change it to record on a specific channel, but the only options were "HD Preferred" and "SD Preferred".  

3. Enh Request:  Make "Conflict Recording" stand out more, in the Scheduled list.
Description:  Due to #2 above, where I have to manually cancel 10-20 "marathon" episodes of a series, my Scheduled list shows a huge number of red "Cancelled Recording" markers.  Because the "Conflict Recording" marker looks almost exactly the same, I have accidentally missed the fact that there was a conflict.  Suggestions:  make the text (name of the show) red for conflics, use a larger red circle icon, or have he word "Conflict" display in all caps.  Something to make it stand out!

4.  Enh Request:  Need a shortcut key to jump to the bottom of any list
Wow my Pg Dn key gets a workout whenever I need to go to the bottom of Saved, Scheduled, or Series Priority lists.  A button-press would be really helpful here.

5.  Make it an option/preference to show / not show Cancelled Recordings in the Scheduled list.

Thanks for listening!

Deb

sorry your tivo didn't/doesn't have ability to use multi-channel cards like current tivo devices do (4 or 6 tuner with one M-channel cablecard).

1. agreed. easiest to fix with your smart phone app xFinity TV Remote (dvr manager, priority, EDIT. You can drag drop fast and easy. when done, hit save button.

2. that only happens when you 'search' on the x1 UI for a program and record from there. IF you can't use the smartphone app in (1) above, note the channel/date/time and find program after hitting the GUIDE button, and record from a listing. Known aggravation. The smartphone app has no such issue and you can select channel directly and date/time directly.

3. same as 2

4. same as 2

5. same as 2

in Short the issues are fixed and the guide is so much easier to read on the smartphone(or tablet) app.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Rustyben, thanks for replying.  Some good news indeed!  Regarding enh req #4: Need a shortcut key to jump to the bottom of any list.  How is this solved with your answer for #2?

Also, my other questions #3 and #5 aren't really resolved with #2, because some of the "marathons" appear on the same channel as the "new" shows (HGTV marathons for example). Hence, "Canceled Recording" ends up taking over my Scheduld list.

Just a note:  I do not have a Smartphone and am using the UI directly on the DVR box.

Thanks,

Deb

Service Expert

dbranco wrote:

Rustyben, thanks for replying.  Some good news indeed!  Regarding enh req #4: Need a shortcut key to jump to the bottom of any list.  How is this solved with your answer for #2?

Also, my other questions #3 and #5 aren't really resolved with #2, because some of the "marathons" appear on the same channel as the "new" shows (HGTV marathons for example). Hence, "Canceled Recording" ends up taking over my Scheduld list.

Just a note:  I do not have a Smartphone and am using the UI directly on the DVR box.

Thanks,

Deb

bottom of list on phone is near instant (scrolling with finger flick). the priority list can be modifed on the app as 'new and repeats'. The smartphone app  does not (on mine at least) show the cancelled recordings in your scheduled list.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Why should I have to use a Smartphone to do what I want to do on the DVR box?  I don't have a Smartphone, and I would like the interface on the DVR Box to work properly. 

I hope that someone from Comcast sees my list above and fixes the UI problems on the DVR box, and not attempt to force me to use a separate device to interface with it.

Thx,

Deb

Problem Solver

Gmdudley wrote:
Woke up this morning and it's working on all boxes. Thanks for you help

You're very welcome.  Let us know if we can help with any other issues.

Feel free to begin a new thread

Brandon

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Hi Joseph,  were you able to find anything?  

Frequent Visitor

It's an ongoing problem. Comcast continues to say it will be fixed by______ time.... But of course it's only lip service and not customer service. Don't expect any lasting improvement whenever they finally get it working again.
Official Employee

Hi Joseph, were you able to find anything?

Your moca levels ( how the boxes communicate) are good it the upstream signal levels are out of spec on all 4. You should get a tech out to adjust your signal levels.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

I have called in and scheduled a truck roll.  Earliest appointment is Monday afternoon.  Are these levels adjustable or will they want to swap boxes?  I do not want to lose my recordings.  

Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issues - the master box is giving me the message "Your DVR service is not available right now." The slave box doesn't even have the option for "Recordings" anymore under the Saved menu. I have called three diffeent times and every solution was to reset the box and wait XXX number of hours or minutes and then it would work. Still not solution other than they are sending a tech out. I've had this issue for at least three days now.

Frequent Visitor

I also checked my signal strengths as I've had trouble in the past. All the numbers look good based on what I'm seeing was posted in the forums.

Official Employee

I have called in and scheduled a truck roll. Earliest appointment is Monday afternoon. Are these levels adjustable or will they want to swap boxes? I do not want to lose my recordings.

The levels are adjustable, I can't imagine it's bad boxes with all 4 being out of spec.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

With a good signal, any other idea on what it might be?

Official Employee

I have called in and scheduled a truck roll. Earliest appointment is Monday afternoon. Are these levels adjustable or will they want to swap boxes? I do not want to lose my recordings.

I know you've done it already but unplug your boxes. Plug in your dvr, let it boot up all the way and then plug in the other. And see what you get.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Followed those steps - and it actually worked!! Thanks Andrew

Official Employee

Followed those steps - and it actually worked!! Thanks Andrew

You're more than welcome. Enjoy

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Problem Solver
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

I have four boxs.  2 master and 2 slave.  I powered all down and turned on 1 master and same problem.  All off and other master still same problem.  Accessing from app same problem.  I am told signal levels are off "slightly" but all other functions work properly.  Is this a known problem?

Service Expert

still on non vers 2 firmware, and 1.47.20. the >> (first fast forward, the one before 2>>) hitting play causes a long 'start play' point (auto rewind approx 45 seconds) instead of a more normal approx 2 seconds. This means that when timeshifting and after commercial ends and show starts, hitting PLAY button causes last minute or so of commercials to play as if 'forcing' veiw of those commercials.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

X! DVR Recording Playback Error

I have a recurring problem trying to watch programs recorded on my X1 DVR in another room. It plays fine for 20 minutes or more, then just stops with a message "Recording Playback Error. The recording you are tryiing to play is not available at this time. Please try again shortly, If the problem persists, please call 1-800-xfinity "

Going back to the Recorded menu after a few minutes  allows me to resume watching the progam, until it fails again a few minutes later, and again and again. 

I've powered off and on the X1 and the remote set top boxes in all rooms several times, but it still happens. 

This is very frustrating! Any suggestions? 

Service Expert

Re: X! DVR Recording Playback Error

jwilkin3 wrote:

I have a recurring problem trying to watch programs recorded on my X1 DVR in another room. It plays fine for 20 minutes or more, then just stops with a message "Recording Playback Error. The recording you are tryiing to play is not available at this time. Please try again shortly, If the problem persists, please call 1-800-xfinity "

Going back to the Recorded menu after a few minutes  allows me to resume watching the progam, until it fails again a few minutes later, and again and again. 

I've powered off and on the X1 and the remote set top boxes in all rooms several times, but it still happens. 

This is very frustrating! Any suggestions? 

could be signal level issues. Try calling the dedicated x1 support center number at 877-896-8678 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

It looks like you have some moca issues and signal issues on the box ending with 841. Does your other secondary box work or both don't?

Can you give a description of how your cable is configured ( splitters, amps if any)

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Everything is connected from a Commscope 8 outlet AMP (which the Comcast guys installed when I got xfinity).

The outlet to 841 is connected behind a splitter. 841 cannot see the DVR recordings at all but we don't need to use it to watch recorded programs. 

783 is a direct drop from the AMP, no splitter. It is this one that I'm trying to use and has the playback error.  

Official Employee

Does the amp resemble this?

On the amp, can you confirm the line going to your dvr is on out 1 and the box that you are having issues with is on out 2 and not split before the amp.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
image.jpg
Frequent Visitor

Yes that is the right amp. 

I can confirm that the box I'm having issues with not split before (or after) the AMP. I'll confirm on which line is connected to which outlet later this afternoon (I'm not at home right now).  

Frequent Visitor

Yes I believe the DVR is on out 1/power in; the box I'm having issues with is on out 4. 

Problem Solver

jwilkin3 wrote:

the box I'm having issues with is on out 4. 

Do you have this box named Media Room?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

No, it is named Office

Frequent Visitor

Media Room is the name of the one behind the splitter that cannot see the DVR 

Problem Solver

jwilkin3 wrote:

Media Room is the name of the one behind the splitter that cannot see the DVR 

Gotcha

I cannot pull any MoCA PHY rates from that box, Media Room.  This usually means theres an issue with a coaxial cable somewhere.  Perhaps the splitter is bad.

What do you think ?

Brandon

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Is that potentailly the cause for the failures on the other box? 

Official Employee

I'd like to see the splitter.

Looking at all the levels, is the box you're having issues with split with your modem?
I notice there's a 7 db difference between the dvr and modem and box ending in 841 ( both are out of spec and upstream SNR is low).

So either there's an unnecessary 4 way splitter and should be a 2 way or bad cable

I would put the outlet that's feeding the box that's not working on outlet 2 of the amp

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

There are two issues but only one I need to resolve. 

Box 783 labelled office is directly wired to the amp, no splitter. It is currently on outlet 4. It has the recording play bakc issue that I first posted. This is what I need to fix. 

Box 841 labelled media room is split with the modem. It cannot see the DVR recordings at all. I don't need to play recordings on this one so I am not concerned about fixing it.

Hope this makes clear.  

Official Employee

Other than bypassing the amp and making sure you don't have a POE filter behind the dvr and that you do have one at the amp, I don't have anything left to try.

If you're feeling adventurous before having to call for a tech
Use the splitter you are using bring it to the dvr and have the dvr and the secondary box next to each other ( bypassing your house wiring), and see if that works.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.