members

online now

discussions

X1 DVR

SOLVED
Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 251 of 1,107

What is this new marking I see on some future shows on the guide. There is an 'x' or arrow (too small to see clearly) after the name of some shows and in the description one of the options is 'watch now' and if you choose that it takes you to On Demand for that show . These shows are not new and I don't undertand why some are flagged this way.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 252 of 1,107
Because if you're strolling through the guide and ser a movie or show that peaks your interest and you haven't watched it yet you can start at the beginning without having to go through the on-demand menu.
Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 253 of 1,107

cldlhd wrote:
Because if you're strolling through the guide and ser a movie or show that peaks your interest and you haven't watched it yet you can start at the beginning without having to go through the on-demand menu.

That sounds plausibly useful to get to On demand faster but its random and all I was doing was 'marching' thru the day  on a channel  and saw a show with that marking. Didn't do anything to have the guide ' think'  I was interested. Have only seen it on two shows so far. One was a very old episode  of some show and have forgotten what it was already.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 254 of 1,107

It probably seems random as only shows that are available ondemand would have that feature available. I've noticed that if a movie is on HBO later that night for the first time it isn't available with the "watch now "  feature because it isn't ondemand yet. I think it's one of the better features to come along, if I'm on the guide or going thru the day on one particular channel and I see something I want to watch that's on later instead of DVR' ing it and waiting or having to type in a search it's much easier to use the watch now feature. I've used it when I've come across a movie that's half over and then I selected 'restart' or somethig that' on later that night. 

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 255 of 1,107

cldlhd wrote:

It probably seems random as only shows that are available ondemand would have that feature available. I've noticed that if a movie is on HBO later that night for the first time it isn't available with the "watch now "  feature because it isn't ondemand yet. I think it's one of the better features to come along, if I'm on the guide or going thru the day on one particular channel and I see something I want to watch that's on later instead of DVR' ing it and waiting or having to type in a search it's much easier to use the watch now feature. I've used it when I've come across a movie that's half over and then I selected 'restart' or somethig that' on later that night. 

Oh yes I agree its a really nice feature. Thanks for your help. I have to assume this is a new feature with one of the recent version updates as I never saw it before

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 256 of 1,107

Which button do you push to restart?  Which button on the remote?  Sounds like a feature I would use sometimes, if I knew which button to push to execute the restart.

TerriB wrote:

cldlhd wrote:

Oh yes I agree its a really nice feature. Thanks for your help. I have to assume this is a new feature with one of the recent version updates as I never saw it before

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 257 of 1,107

If you have a show or movie hihjlighted on the guide that's on later you press the ok button and then you'll see watch now, record movie info etc... Watch now should be highlighted then just press ok again

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 258 of 1,107

If the show or movie is already on you can hit info then next to watch it'll say restart or if you turn it on part way thru you can hit info then restart will be highlighted.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 259 of 1,107

comcastbrandon would you look at my fail to record error log for 11/30/14 8:00pm (central time) channel 402 "killing kennedy" 2 hours stopped recording at 57 minutes no error msg on playback just 'pauses' frozen screen. rest of 'progress bar' is grayed out like it has 2 parts but I don't get that 'start next recorded part' popup. Murphy's law in that no repeat and non in on-demand.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 260 of 1,107

Rustyben wrote:

comcastbrandon would you look at my fail to record error log for 11/30/14 8:00pm (central time) channel 402 "killing kennedy" 2 hours stopped recording at 57 minutes no error msg on playback just 'pauses' frozen screen. rest of 'progress bar' is grayed out like it has 2 parts but I don't get that 'start next recorded part' popup. Murphy's law in that no repeat and non in on-demand.

That's a known issue introduced in version 1.47.04.c, the whole home dvr update. Moving scheduling to servers screwed some stuff up as this problem did not occur prior to that update.

Comcast claims to be working on it. In the meantime I miss more than half the football games I record yet I'm still paying for dvr service because comcast billing department wants to discuss credit after the problem is resolved. It is quite annoying that they won't credit me and continue to charge me for services that are not being provided. 

Seriously, what good is a dvr that only records portions of football games or movies?

Hopefully this link will clarify for you... http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/cloud-dvr-doesn-t-record-the-whole-show/td-p/2414679

Please note comcast Chads response. A tech came out before I saw Chads reply but I got a similar answer from the tech supervisor.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 261 of 1,107

MadMangs wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

That's a known issue introduced in version 1.47.04.c, the whole home dvr update. Moving scheduling to servers screwed some stuff up as this problem did not occur prior to that update.

Comcast claims to be working on it. In the meantime I miss more than half the football games I record yet I'm still paying for dvr service because comcast billing department wants to discuss credit after the problem is resolved. It is quite annoying that they won't credit me and continue to charge me for services that are not being provided. 

Seriously, what good is a dvr that only records portions of football games or movies?

Hopefully this link will clarify for you... http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/cloud-dvr-doesn-t-record-the-whole-show/td-p/2414679

Please note comcast Chads response. A tech came out before I saw Chads reply but I got a similar answer from the tech supervisor.

the comcast tech ppl requested this information as they are trying to diagnose the random errors. I don't have problems with scheduled recordings normally. Also the live shows that run long (like football games) is just nature of the beast. The easiest fix is to record the program following live shows I have a smart phone 'reminder' that lets me review for shows that might be impacted by dancing with the stars, sports events etc and I review next day by playing the first part of that 'next' show to see if it has the end of what i actually wanted to record (timeshifting). to quote GotPizza it is just a DVR. It is not an AI

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 262 of 1,107

Recording the next show won't really help in this case Rusty. A movie or show may be 2 hours, for example but only an hour and 23 minutes of the show records, just like the example you gave. It's not limited to live recordings nor is it limited to extended recordings. Shows that run an hour or so seems to record fine. It just seems that random shows, live or not, extended or not just end at random times prior to the set end time for shows greater than an hour or so. I used football games as an example because they are 3 hours long and I usually extend them by an hour and a half so I should wind up with a four and a half hour recording. Instead I get a two and a half hour recording but the progress bar does the same thing it did in your example.

Recording the next show simply won't work because there will still be a gap between the first show ending prematurely and the following show starting on time.

Good idea tho, never hurts to put suggestions out there because something might work.

And you're correct, it is just a dvr so it blows my mind that Comcast can mess up something as simple as scheduling software which has been around since video cassette recorders first came out with vcr plus.

I've been writing  code for cable card, cable box and dvr software for the last 23 years and never seen a dvr with so many bugs before in my life.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 263 of 1,107

MadMangs wrote:

I've been writing  code for cable card, cable box and dvr software for the last 23 years and never seen a dvr with so many bugs before in my life.

Can you imagine what coding for the Xi3 box is like?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 264 of 1,107

I'd lose sleep thinking about all the patches, lol.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 265 of 1,107

RobertWy wrote:

MadMangs wrote:

Can you imagine what coding for the Xi3 box is like?

since it is tunerless (headless) and modemless (no docsis) it is IP only and probably will be no differnet than using a tablet with an hdmi output jack. That is, just another 'any device' but supplied by comcast. all the activity would be cloud related. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 266 of 1,107

Rustyben wrote:

Thank you for the exact location of the recording. My diag screen confirms your findings.  Unfortunately it gives us Failure Reason: Unknown.

But I did go ahead and create a Tier2 ticket for you regarding that issue.  I've PM'd you the reference number

Brandon

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 267 of 1,107

well bummerz fully unable to record 3 DVRs. info button says "Information for this program isn't available right now. please try again later" (live tv. pressing "record" is fully ignored. Rebooted 2 boxes no change. When hit record button from guide it says "let's try that again. Sorry your recording wasn't scheduled. Please give us a few minutes and try again".

no error messages. completely new problem

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 268 of 1,107

Rustyben wrote:

well bummerz fully unable to record 3 DVRs. info button says "Information for this program isn't available right now. please try again later" (live tv. pressing "record" is fully ignored. Rebooted 2 boxes no change. When hit record button from guide it says "let's try that again. Sorry your recording wasn't scheduled. Please give us a few minutes and try again".

That is the all-too-familiar X! Network COmmunication issues popping up again... you don't always get an error message, just a Try Again Later screen prompt....    ENtirely within the X1 network communication protocol.... wether this is congestion, server traffic, or server outage, no one is talking...

I spent 30 minutes with a rep from Coporate COmcast yesterday trying to esxplain this and otehr X1 issues....funny thing, the REP did not know how to enter Diagnostics, stated he HAD the X1 system, and said that no matter WHAT any RED COMCAST PERSON IN THESE FORUMS told me, I had signal issues....

Totally and utterly useless.....

Now you know why I the clock is ticking and regardless of RAIN, I may move back to DirecTV and abandon these forums and Comcast altogether....   There, another nickel for someone who's counting!!!

ANd yes, I did ask for a 2nd DVR..... I was laughed at.....  Even you used the STB LAG issues is preventing me from enjoying what I pay for....

I'm done now...

-=Ray=-

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 269 of 1,107

geek46 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

That is the all-too-familiar X! Network COmmunication issues popping up again... you don't always get an error message, just a Try Again Later screen prompt....    ENtirely within the X1 network communication protocol.... wether this is congestion, server traffic, or server outage, no one is talking...

I spent 30 minutes with a rep from Coporate COmcast yesterday trying to esxplain this and otehr X1 issues....funny thing, the REP did not know how to enter Diagnostics, stated he HAD the X1 system, and said that no matter WHAT any RED COMCAST PERSON IN THESE FORUMS told me, I had signal issues....

Now you know why I the clock is ticking and regardless of RAIN, I may move back to DirecTV and abandon these forums and Comcast altogether....   There, another nickel for someone who's counting!!!

ANd yes, I did ask for a 2nd DVR..... I was laughed at.....  Even you used the STB LAG issues is preventing me from enjoying what I pay for....

I'm done now...

-=Ray=-

my issue was 'within comcast servers'. After posting I called the X1 support center after some testing she gave me a level II tier ticket number. About 15 minutes later was fixed. I had tried to record from the x1 remote app and the tv remote app but neither would record. I really can't understand why they won't give you equipment you pay for the use. Did you contact your city department that has supervision over the utility (cable)?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 270 of 1,107

Rustyben wrote:

geek46 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

I'm done now...

-=Ray=-

my issue was 'within comcast servers'. After posting I called the X1 support center after some testing she gave me a level II tier ticket number. About 15 minutes later was fixed. I had tried to record from the x1 remote app and the tv remote app but neither would record. I really can't understand why they won't give you equipment you pay for the use. Did you contact your city department that has supervision over the utility (cable)?

The county relenquished all rights of regulatroy control over Comcast when Comcast repalced Adelphia...   worst decision they could have made....

There are no cities within the county with any regulatry control.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 271 of 1,107

After 5+ years of agony with Set-top boxes and DVRs (7 total, I think) I finally soved the problem by sending that blasted X1 back to Xfinity "heaven".

I now miss some of the content, but have 3 converters that seem to work just fine.  Combo/Triple Play, for a single vendor?  Never again!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 272 of 1,107

knippd wrote:

After 5+ years of agony with Set-top boxes and DVRs (7 total, I think) I finally soved the problem by sending that blasted X1 back to Xfinity "heaven".

I now miss some of the content, but have 3 converters that seem to work just fine.  Combo/Triple Play, for a single vendor?  Never again!

TiVo will let you access same cable programming as the x1's. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 273 of 1,107

We have had four HD DVRs in our household for several years and finally decided to go to X1 when Comcast told us we could have four X1 DVRs over a year ago.  With some minor issues initially and more issues ocurring as Comcast has been updating the DVR services, not to mention the additional cost to the X1 DVRs, we decided to stick it out.  However about a month ago Comcast made a major update to their DVR service imacting all of our X1 DVRs.  Recordings were lost, scheduled series were non-existent, and the three additional DVRs were rendered useless.  After many futile attempts to resolve with customer service and/or tech support I reached out to the retention department and after 30 days of working with them we ended up caving and going to one X1 DVR and three host/companion boxes.  After three technician no shows and a ton of billing issues as a result, they finally swapped out all of the equipment and the DVR functionality has been restored.  It has been a huge culture shock for us.  Cant manage live TV from host/companion boxes, not to mention their terrible performance issues.  Comcast poorly handled this, at best.  Sad to say we are desperately seeking an alternative service provider.  Anyone else with multiple X1 DVRs experiencing similar issues?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 274 of 1,107

sfcaiello wrote:

We have had four HD DVRs in our household for several years and finally decided to go to X1 when Comcast told us we could have four X1 DVRs over a year ago.  With some minor issues initially and more issues ocurring as Comcast has been updating the DVR services, not to mention the additional cost to the X1 DVRs, we decided to stick it out.  However about a month ago Comcast made a major update to their DVR service imacting all of our X1 DVRs.  Recordings were lost, scheduled series were non-existent, and the three additional DVRs were rendered useless.  After many futile attempts to resolve with customer service and/or tech support I reached out to the retention department and after 30 days of working with them we ended up caving and going to one X1 DVR and three host/companion boxes.  After three technician no shows and a ton of billing issues as a result, they finally swapped out all of the equipment and the DVR functionality has been restored.  It has been a huge culture shock for us.  Cant manage live TV from host/companion boxes, not to mention their terrible performance issues.  Comcast poorly handled this, at best.  Sad to say we are desperately seeking an alternative service provider.  Anyone else with multiple X1 DVRs experiencing similar issues?

most replies here are from customers just like you. We see the same questions over and over. Lots here are not allowed to have more than one x1 dvr even though comcast adverstises 'a super dvr' which is a home with 3 x1 DVrs (total 15 tuners 12 recordings at any time etc). The x1 system you had could easily have been fixed they just require careful install and during install removal of any/all amplifers, splitters etc and getting signal specifications met on each drop. Without more information not much we can do to assist. If you start with (here or the dedicated support number 877-896-8678) the DVR then get that working the rest fall into place one by one. I can not recommend more highly adding the inside wiring 'insurance' to your monthly bill. divide it by 4 drops (or 6 with internet and telephone) and you can see it will save you money and not restrict the number of calls needed to get your system up and running perfectly. The 'separateness of the old DVRs is not part of x1. you don't control where something is recorded in a multiple dvr home now. The comcast server 'manager' decides where to record. The scheduled recordings (priorities) are stored in the cloud.

There are several phone apps available for working with x1 too. Search for xfinity. My account, x1 remote, tv remote,  xfinity connect are some of the most used apps.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 275 of 1,107

Hey all,

Keep your fingers crossed for me....my 2nd X1 DVR for the MBR should be installed some time between 8am and 10 am tomorrrow morning....just confirmed the apointment call.....  Hope it plays nice with the Living Room DVR !!!!!

-=rAY=-

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 276 of 1,107

Geek46 ... I wish you luck with your X1 system.

For me, it has been the worst decision I have ever made regarding my audio/visual system in my house.  It was installed 3 weeks ago and for 3 weeks it has been nothing but a time consuming headache.

Just sitting down to watch a TV show with my family after work, or tuning in a football game on Saturday has turned into a massive source of frustration, with no apparent fix in sight.

This system is an expensive joke.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 277 of 1,107

ScottHarmer wrote:

For me, it has been the worst decision I have ever made regarding my audio/visual system in my house.  It was installed 3 weeks ago and for 3 weeks it has been nothing but a time consuming headache.

Just sitting down to watch a TV show with my family after work, or tuning in a football game on Saturday has turned into a massive source of frustration, with no apparent fix in sight.

Sorry to hear that....

Before I made the jumo to X1, I read everything I could online and in these forums....   replaced many of my runs witrh new RG6 cable and replaced wall connectors.....Even went so far as wiring new outlet in attic within 18 inches of where the powered zero loss amp would be installed....

Guess I'm lucky....my  Downstream is usually 0.2, my SNR is 40.2 and my upstream is 45.9 ......

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 278 of 1,107

geek46 wrote:

ScottHarmer wrote:

Sorry to hear that....

Before I made the jumo to X1, I read everything I could online and in these forums....   replaced many of my runs witrh new RG6 cable and replaced wall connectors.....Even went so far as wiring new outlet in attic within 18 inches of where the powered zero loss amp would be installed....

Guess I'm lucky....my  Downstream is usually 0.2, my SNR is 40.2 and my upstream is 45.9 ......

Except for Comcast outages like RDK 3032's, I have had great luck with mine since I got it in June of 2013.

I really think the infrastructure is the key.  You have to have a good connection all the way from the X1 to the Comcast "servers" or "plant" or whatever it is called.

And they seem to be doing new installations at a very fast clip, which must be putting a strain on the infrastructure.

And it appears X1 has a real problem with installations in apartments.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 279 of 1,107

RobertWy wrote:

geek46 wrote:

ScottHarmer wrote:

Sorry to hear that....

Except for Comcast outages like RDK 3032's, I have had great luck with mine since I got it in June of 2013.

I really think the infrastructure is the key.  You have to have a good connection all the way from the X1 to the Comcast "servers" or "plant" or whatever it is called.

And they seem to be doing new installations at a very fast clip, which must be putting a strain on the infrastructure.

I agree...the physical "wiring" is KEY to success.....

btw:  I'm liking my 2nd DVR already!!!!  <big grin >

-=Ray=-

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 280 of 1,107

geek46 wrote:

I agree...the physical "wiring" is KEY to success.....

btw:  I'm liking my 2nd DVR already!!!!  <big grin >

-=Ray=-

Glad to hear you got it.  As you know, we got ours last year when we traded in two legacy boxes for X1 DVR's.  

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 281 of 1,107

RobertWy wrote:

geek46 wrote:

ScottHarmer wrote:

Sorry to hear that....

Man, Comcast must have a bunch of garbage engineers in some areas. Here, in my apartment complex from the early 90s, the signal is good and I've never had to have any wiring changed. X1 install was flawless with the existing wiring.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 282 of 1,107
Man, Comcast must have a bunch of garbage engineers in some areas. Here, in my apartment complex from the early 90s, the signal is good and I've never had to have any wiring changed. X1 install was flawless with the existing wiring.

More like garbage (read:cheap) cable in some buildings, and not all apartment buildings are equal.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 283 of 1,107

Question is everyone else getting fed up as I am with the X1 DVR and its playback problems? If I am using the fast forward to get through a commercial it doesn't stop and dosen't respond to the remote commands.Sometimes just totally locks up can't even change a channel.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 284 of 1,107

Badge17 wrote:

Question is everyone else getting fed up as I am with the X1 DVR and its playback problems? If I am using the fast forward to get through a commercial it doesn't stop and dosen't respond to the remote commands.Sometimes just totally locks up can't even change a channel.

This problem just started today for me.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 285 of 1,107

i'm fed up with that-the sound issues-and numerous other problems that i've had or are now appearing since the end of July-and response service is lousy at best

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 286 of 1,107

Badge17 wrote:

The remotes ability to work with the DVR is based on signal efficiencies....  my bet is that your Upstream Power is too high and/or your SNR is too low....  if you can get a Tech on site to evaluate and make repairs your issues with the remote's problems will disappear.....   it isn't really talking to the DVR directly, it uses upstream communication and then downstream commands to the DVR....

If you don't believe me, unplug your cable feed to isolate your DVR and see if you can even watch a locally recorded program on the DVR... you cannot.

Good Luck!
-=Ray=-

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 287 of 1,107

geek46 wrote:

Badge17 wrote:

The remotes ability to work with the DVR is based on signal efficiencies....  my bet is that your Upstream Power is too high and/or your SNR is too low....  if you can get a Tech on site to evaluate and make repairs your issues with the remote's problems will disappear.....   it isn't really talking to the DVR directly, it uses upstream communication and then downstream commands to the DVR....

If you don't believe me, unplug your cable feed to isolate your DVR and see if you can even watch a locally recorded program on the DVR... you cannot.

Good Luck!
-=Ray=-

true, no menu no response to anything.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 288 of 1,107

Hi there,

I was talking to a comcast support person who said I could come here and ask my question if she was unable to help me. Well my problem persists past my call. Anyway my issue is I am unable to access the Recorded shows on my non DVR X1 Cable box, which is upsetting. I schedualed the recordings on my non DVR box and they are available on my DVR but I cant get them to play back on my non DVR box once they're there. Also something noteworthy is that the way my house is wired for cable/internet/phone. There are two lines comming from the telephone pole which connect to different parts of my house. The DVR and phone are connected to one of the lines, but my non DVR box and modem are connected to a different line. Could that be casuing the problem? Also, would plugging both my boxes into my router solve this problem so if it is a communication issue they could, in theory, communicate?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 289 of 1,107

Onetrillion wrote:

Hi there,

I was talking to a comcast support person who said I could come here and ask my question if she was unable to help me. Well my problem persists past my call. Anyway my issue is I am unable to access the Recorded shows on my non DVR X1 Cable box, which is upsetting. I schedualed the recordings on my non DVR box and they are available on my DVR but I cant get them to play back on my non DVR box once they're there. Also something noteworthy is that the way my house is wired for cable/internet/phone. There are two lines comming from the telephone pole which connect to different parts of my house. The DVR and phone are connected to one of the lines, but my non DVR box and modem are connected to a different line. Could that be casuing the problem? Also, would plugging both my boxes into my router solve this problem so if it is a communication issue they could, in theory, communicate?

X1 boxes cannot use your router..... they rely on the cable in thehouse to communicate.... I am willing to bet that sionce you have 2 distinct feeds, that the MCOA filter installed is preventing your "other" feed from seeing what is on the DVR.....   you may need a TEC onsite to determine the best location for that filter....

-=Ray=-

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 290 of 1,107

geek46 wrote:

Onetrillion wrote:

Hi there,

X1 boxes cannot use your router..... they rely on the cable in thehouse to communicate.... I am willing to bet that sionce you have 2 distinct feeds, that the MCOA filter installed is preventing your "other" feed from seeing what is on the DVR.....   you may need a TEC onsite to determine the best location for that filter....

-=Ray=-

that is correct ray. there is a max 300 feet distance for MoCA. The installation has to be corrected, one line terminated other line used with (normally) an zero-insertion-loss amplifier so that all equipment is on same 'drop'.  This should easily be fixed by a comcast repair tech.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 291 of 1,107

Why doesn't comcast activate the ethernet port on back of DVR to enable a connecton to TVs etc to the comcast internet (it is ethernet via MoCA).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 292 of 1,107

Rustyben wrote:

Why doesn't comcast activate the ethernet port on back of DVR to enable a connecton to TVs etc to the comcast internet (it is ethernet via MoCA).

Explain to me what that would accomplish.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 293 of 1,107

RobertWy wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

would allow conversion for tv to be hardwired ethernet connection to the internet connection rather than wifi (each dvr outlet would offer that ethernet connection). This is similar to running a cat5/6 cable to the TV.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 294 of 1,107

Rustyben wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

would allow conversion for tv to be hardwired ethernet connection to the internet connection rather than wifi (each dvr outlet would offer that ethernet connection). This is similar to running a cat5/6 cable to the TV.

My main TV has an ethernet connection to my gateway/router.  

But my other TV has to use wifi to get to the gateway/router.

That would be good.  

But I'm not sure the X1 has the ability to pass Internet traffic through to the ethernet connection.  X1 only has one input; coax.  So coax would have to carry two signals to the X1, correct?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 295 of 1,107

RobertWy wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

My main TV has an ethernet connection to my gateway/router.  

But my other TV has to use wifi to get to the gateway/router.

That would be good.  

But I'm not sure the X1 has the ability to pass Internet traffic through to the ethernet connection.  X1 only has one input; coax.  So coax would have to carry two signals to the X1, correct?

yeah, that's part of the MoCA design. Like the eSATA port, comcast isn't (yet) providing access to the feature. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 296 of 1,107

re: 1.47.20 and closed caption variable lag on cc stream

.20 seems to have greatly reduced the number of times that the voice gets behind the video (out of sync on playback m-peg2/4 stream. Now they have introduced the same issue of not being in sync with the closed caption string. to fix it must stop the stream then restart the playback. Wouild be great to know if it was local to the DVR I am currently usinjg, or if it was from one of my other 2 DVRs.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 297 of 1,107

watching Stalker episode off dvr. Its going to be another one of those nights. dvr is unresponsive to control even X1 remote smart app. Didn't have issue last night which was a surprise. And it is very early in the evening here (5:30ish)

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 298 of 1,107

The customer service reps don't actually know either. I'm convinced that 99 percent of them don't know it exists, and it IS available in my area. It's what the salesguy sold us on. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 299 of 1,107

I have 2 master and 2 slave X1 boxes in my house that were installed and have been working for about 6 months.  5 days ago when I tried to play a previously recorded show I got the message "Your DVR service is not available right now.  We are working to restore service as quickly as possible and should have your recordings ready soon"  Tier 1 & tier 2 tech support have sent hits to the box but no go.  Any ideas?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 300 of 1,107

Hi

Thanks for contacting us via the forums.

I apologize that your having issues with playing recordings.

Are you getting that message on all the boxes or is it just on the secondary boxes?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.