members

online now

discussions

X1 DVR

SOLVED
Posted by
Contributor

Message 101 of 1,107

I don't think it's a giant secret. Although it would be harder to reverse engineer than how they do encoding for linear QAM (where you can get the MPEG-2 files from a TiVo or MCE PC on a PC), there should be some clues out there from people who use it. That, and I doubt that they are closely safeguarding the technical details about it, it's just that 99.5% of the people would have no freaking clue what they are talking about if they posted some PDF with details about how they manage QAM channels for DVR sessions on small nodes in Cloud DVR markets or how their encoding and IP-multicast networks for recording to storage servers work. There was an article today with pictures of one of the Cloud DVR datacenters, but it's not very illuminating, it just shows a bunch of racks with giant storage servers.

I asked the same questions over at DSLR, and I think even there they went over some people's heads.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 102 of 1,107

BiggAW wrote:

I don't think it's a giant secret. Although it would be harder to reverse engineer than how they do encoding for linear QAM (where you can get the MPEG-2 files from a TiVo or MCE PC on a PC), there should be some clues out there from people who use it. That, and I doubt that they are closely safeguarding the technical details about it, it's just that 99.5% of the people would have no freaking clue what they are talking about if they posted some PDF with details about how they manage QAM channels for DVR sessions on small nodes in Cloud DVR markets or how their encoding and IP-multicast networks for recording to storage servers work. There was an article today with pictures of one of the Cloud DVR datacenters, but it's not very illuminating, it just shows a bunch of racks with giant storage servers.

I asked the same questions over at DSLR, and I think even there they went over some people's heads.

Our local system uses a switched video on 'request' system for channel (data) stream. only signals requested are actually streamed/available and if not currently streaming to your head end has to be arranged, and put on a virtual channel to which your DVR is instructed to tune (not related to displayed/guide channel numbers).
  It isn't much of a stretch that the cloud server for the customer would be notified to tune to that same virtual channel stream and record it which would not involved streaming from customer to Comcast at all.
  Just a guess on my part.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 103 of 1,107

we talked about this over on dsl reports. They are not going to copy a recording for every customer. same as the recordings on the current on the go app use we are all sharing the same files.I think reason that know one is talking is because that is years in the future. Full cloud dvr is ways away, if it ever is going to happen.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 104 of 1,107

gotpizza wrote:

we talked about this over on dsl reports. They are not going to copy a recording for every customer. same as the recordings on the current on the go app use we are all sharing the same files.I think reason that know one is talking is because that is years in the future. Full cloud dvr is ways away, if it ever is going to happen.

I don't think the show+recordings would be the same outside of a given market area.  And if i add one minute, the other guys get that extra minute or i don't get extra minute? good question for comcast.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 105 of 1,107

Rustyben,

Comcast doesn't use SDV, they do use that type of system today for VOD. The question is whether they are also using that for delivering the DVR sessions to the X1 Cloud DVR users. For the recording, it wouldn't be using QAM at all, it would be some sort of IP or IP-multicast system, since it's all internal to the datacenter. The big myster is the last-mile deliver of DVR "sessions".

Posted by
Contributor

Message 106 of 1,107

gotpizza,

We know that it stores individiual copies for each users. Comcast has publicly stated that this is the case, and legally, it has to be that way, the same way that CableVision's RS-DVR works. So that's not the issue, and not the question, because we already know the answer. The question mostly is about last-mile deliver of the DVR "session", and maybe about how the signals are delivered to be recorded in the datacenter, although it's mostly likely IP-multicast or something similar, just like CableVision and Aereo use/used. So the real question is last-mile delivery and how the bandwidth is managed.

I'm talking about the Cloud DVR that is deployed by Comcast today in several markets, not a hypothetical future product. It works. Somehow. That's the question.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 107 of 1,107

That's an irrelevant question for a hypothetical future technology, since today's law and technology dictates that Comcast make one recording per user. Each user of X1 Cloud DVR has 500GB in the "cloud". I wonder if they will offer more storage for an additional fee at some point. Seems like a really lucrative money maker, with some cost in hardware and operational expense to provide, but no additional physical plant infrastructure or programming costs.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 108 of 1,107

ComcastTeds has discussed this vaguely (Teds is very good at being vague). He claims there are plans for additional storage. I contend we won't see them until Comcast is 100% sure they can accurate track and bill for the additional usage.

BiggAW wrote:

That's an irrelevant question for a hypothetical future technology, since today's law and technology dictates that Comcast make one recording per user. Each user of X1 Cloud DVR has 500GB in the "cloud". I wonder if they will offer more storage for an additional fee at some point. Seems like a really lucrative money maker, with some cost in hardware and operational expense to provide, but no additional physical plant infrastructure or programming costs.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 109 of 1,107

BiggAW wrote:

gotpizza,

We know that it stores individiual copies for each users. Comcast has publicly stated that this is the case, and legally, it has to be that way, the same way that CableVision's RS-DVR works. So that's not the issue, and not the question, because we already know the answer. The question mostly is about last-mile deliver of the DVR "session", and maybe about how the signals are delivered to be recorded in the datacenter, although it's mostly likely IP-multicast or something similar, just like CableVision and Aereo use/used. So the real question is last-mile delivery and how the bandwidth is managed.

I'm talking about the Cloud DVR that is deployed by Comcast today in several markets, not a hypothetical future product. It works. Somehow. That's the question.

still just guessing here, but assuming they do just grab same source stream as it goes to me (assuming Switched Video streams) then they would need to have the steam ended before it could transcode to mpeg4 or similar. I'd like to have someone with an iphone record an hour show. download to iphone after noting memory in use before and after to determine size of that one hour recording. It can't be mpeg2. mpeg4 is pretty variable and sound can be expanded in bandwidth. Wonder if 5.1 can be in an mpeg4.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 110 of 1,107

BiggAW wrote:

gotpizza,

what is deployed in several markets still requires a dvr with a hdd. The recordings that are viewed on a mobile device or pc comes from the server, The recordings in the home still come from the dvr in your house. Are you talking about something else?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 111 of 1,107

Hi Gwen, 

Feature requests (all of which were previously available to Comcast customers):

1. slo-mo forward and reverse

2. frame-by-frame advance (reverse would be nice too)

3. temporary zoom feature (useful in conjunction with 1 & 2)

4. ability of to schedule "this series, at this time, on this channel"

5. *clipping* feature

Thanks...

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 112 of 1,107

It's there, go to the guide, find your show, hit record, choose future recordings, and set your options

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 113 of 1,107

Rustyben,

That's an interesting question. It has to be MPEG-4 for an iPhone, which would mean that every time you download, if the recordings were in MPEG-2, they would have to be transcoded on the fly, which is really computationally intensive at scale (TiVo Roamio does this, but it's local, so it's only handling one stream at a time). If they transcoded for the whole Cloud DVR system, and didn't re-encode for mobile devices, then the iPhone would get the same bitrate that the boxes got, which would use up a ton of storage and bandwidth, and not work very well for mobile.

Of course 5.1 can be in an MPEG-4. Blu-Ray is H.264, that's DTS-HD or Dolby Digital 5.1. Whether mobile recordings get it, if they are re-encoded for mobile, they would likely down-mix to 2.0.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 114 of 1,107

gotpizza,

The FAQs about transferring recordings and them only working on one DVR actually lends some credibility to this theory, even though Comcast claims to be doing a full RS-DVR. However, if the recordings on the TV were stored locally, and the Cloud DVR were working silently in the background in parallel to support mobile devices, Comcast would not have had to add capacity to their physical plants in order to support X1 Cloud, since the mobile part just works over the "internet" (routed internally to Comcast, but run through the existing DOCSIS/HSI system), which has existed for over a decade. We know that they added physical plant capacity in the Chicago market, including node splitting, which would suggest a true RS-DVR system. The eventual goal seems to be to eliminate the full X1 boxes completely, and only have the smaller, non-DVR boxes, with the RS-DVR technology.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 115 of 1,107

The flip side is that if the main DVR recording is done locally on the hard drive, and the "Cloud DVR" is a separate "ghost" of the main DVR for mobile devices, the "Cloud DVR" would need significantly less than 500GB, as it could record at a rather lower MPEG-4 bitrate, with an entirely separate set of channels, but compressed for mobile, so the "Cloud" storage would only be something like 150GB per user, not 500GB. But then that begs the question: why not just do it like TiVo, with everything local and not have the "Cloud" in the first place?

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 116 of 1,107

Just moved to Xfinity and my DVR is already full. I moved from DirecTV and enjoyed the 1TB drive hanging off the back of the DVR. During the install I saw the eSATA port at the back and thought "great" I'll be able to add more storage.... No such luck. Why is the eSATA port not enabled on my Motorola MX011ANM? Did I lease the wrong box? Super lame Comcast.....

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 117 of 1,107

ComcastAndrew wrote:

It's there, go to the guide, find your show, hit record, choose future recordings, and set your options

something broke on 145.06. My series that say channel xxx only new episodes only (like walking dead) are recording even replays on same chan of season 1 episode 1, all of castle is getting recorded too even on channels not in the series entry (chn xxx only, new episodes only). Nothing changed but the version. I was hoping against odds that 146.xx would fix it but our head end won't get it available to us.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 118 of 1,107

BiggAW wrote:

The flip side is that if the main DVR recording is done locally on the hard drive, and the "Cloud DVR" is a separate "ghost" of the main DVR for mobile devices, the "Cloud DVR" would need significantly less than 500GB, as it could record at a rather lower MPEG-4 bitrate, with an entirely separate set of channels, but compressed for mobile, so the "Cloud" storage would only be something like 150GB per user, not 500GB. But then that begs the question: why not just do it like TiVo, with everything local and not have the "Cloud" in the first place?

Xi3 has no ram at all? no stored buffer for special effects etc? wonder if the recordings (remote) for Xi3 are in full cable HD. Good discussion points in your post.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 119 of 1,107
A quick search will find your answer. Unfortunately X11 does not allow for external hard drive. If this is a deal breaker you still have your 30 day guarantee.
Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 120 of 1,107

The X1's eSata port isn't enabled - and there's no evidence it will be enabled any time soon.  If this is important to you - you probably should've checked before making the jump.  You do have 30 days to change your mind....

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 121 of 1,107

You must really be recording lots of stuff to fill it up that fast. The X1 boxes have 500 GB hard drives, so a 1 TB drive would only double the space. Remember that there is OnDemand that has lots of shows too. Also I believe the RNG200 boxes allow the external drives so you can downgrade to non-x1 equip.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 122 of 1,107

John3758 wrote:

You must really be recording lots of stuff to fill it up that fast. The X1 boxes have 500 GB hard drives, so a 1 TB drive would only double the space. Remember that there is OnDemand that has lots of shows too. Also I believe the RNG200 boxes allow the external drives so you can downgrade to non-x1 equip.

I read on forums here (for non-X1's) that the DVR actually uses the one with the most room at the time. That is, not exclusively the external but when External had less room than the internal the DVR would use the internal drive. that means 1.5tb available.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 123 of 1,107

Sorry, Andrew, but it's not.

Say you have an ongoing recording conflict for series X at 9pm on channel Y, but it is repeated at 12M (as well as other times on other channels during the week).

What I want to be able to do is to set a series recording for program X to only record at 12M (which will be a first time repeat of the 9pm show) only on channel Y. 

This was once upon a time an option on Comcast DVRs.

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 124 of 1,107

Say you have an ongoing recording conflict for series X at 9pm on channel Y, but it is repeated at 12M (as well as other times on other channels during the week).

What I want to be able to do is to set a series recording for program X to only record at 12M (which will be a first time repeat of the 9pm show) only on channel Y.

That option is there and maybe you haven't been able to find it. Pick your show and use the other times option( if that show is on at other times) , find the time/channel you want, click record, choose all episodes and confirm. I tried it with Bill Maher ( a show I know repeats a lot through the week). Double checked in scheduled recordings and it's there

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 125 of 1,107

dslreports has a good thread that includes cloud and xi3.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17173

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 126 of 1,107

Rustyben is correct - the DVR stores recordings on both the internal HD and the external HD depending on which one has more space available.  See the FAQ sheet here - http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage-faqs

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 127 of 1,107

Again, yet another thread about why the eSATA port does not work.  USE THE SEARCH FEATURE!  There are numerous threads here about this already.  The issue has been beat to death.  Comcast will NEVER activate it.  Eventually added storage will be avaiable from the "cloud" for a extra fee most likely.  

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 128 of 1,107
I think people either love having their own thread or have absolutely NO CLUE as to how to use the search feature.
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 129 of 1,107

RobertWy wrote:

dslreports has a good thread that includes cloud and xi3.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17173

I'll have to take a look at that.  What about our own thread http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/X1-DVR-with-cloud-technology-on-the-PC-and-mobile-devices/m-p/201984... There is a ton of information there, but mostly user determined.  When I first got the cloud service, I did a lot of experimenting.  For example, I determined that the cloud recording is independent of the X1 DVR recording and is uncompressed (how else could it be streamed).

Posted by
Contributor

Message 130 of 1,107

So I just got a 2nd X1 DVR box shipped to me yesterday and am having problems setting it up. I have contacted support and they don't seem to know what is wrong. For those with multiple DVRs on their accounts, is there anything special that needs to be done on Comcast's end to activate these?

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 131 of 1,107

Could you be more specific as to what is wrong? Error messages? Is it as simple as they can't get it to activate?

Details please........

theaircobra wrote:

So I just got a 2nd X1 DVR box shipped to me yesterday and am having problems setting it up. I have contacted support and they don't seem to know what is wrong. For those with multiple DVRs on their accounts, is there anything special that needs to be done on Comcast's end to activate these?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 132 of 1,107

When I go to enter my account and phone number it says to call and the error code is XRE-10000. The person I was chatting with couldn't get the box activated, something about not being able to add the code.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 133 of 1,107

When I had my 2nd and 3rd DVRs installed, it took them a while to get them activated. Tech called his boss. The boss called a guru. The guru got it done but it took additional steps. I think you are gonna need to get this escalated way up the ladder. The odds a typical Comcast phone rep would get this handled are slim and none... I think you are going to need to get a tech out there and make him stay until it's active, even if he has to call Timbuktu to get it done.

No offense but you are the second person in this forum that I am aware of that has done an X1 "self install" and you are the second person with problems. Most members of this forum knew X1 self install would not work out well.

theaircobra wrote:

When I go to enter my account and phone number it says to call and the error code is XRE-10000. The person I was chatting with couldn't get the box activated, something about not being able to add the code.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 134 of 1,107

I knew that I wouldn't be able to get it setup on the first try. I only had it shipped because I would have had to wait even longer to get an install. Plus I have had terrible luck with techs coming out and not knowing what they are doing.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 135 of 1,107

The same thing happened with us yesterday as we swapped out our old DVR box for the newer X1 DVR box and they cannot get it activated either.  The lady that is assiting me said the same thing about the codes and according to ther the store should have uploaded those codes there before we took the new boxes.  This is really frustrating as they said it could take 24 to 48 hours to get the codes pushed out.  I in turn once they cintact me to let me know this is working agai nwill be asking for a "nice" discount, either for a discount for the month and/or free movie rentals.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 136 of 1,107

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Say you have an ongoing recording conflict for series X at 9pm on channel Y, but it is repeated at 12M (as well as other times on other channels during the week).

What I want to be able to do is to set a series recording for program X to only record at 12M (which will be a first time repeat of the 9pm show) only on channel Y.

That option is there and maybe you haven't been able to find it. Pick your show and use the other times option( if that show is on at other times) , find the time/channel you want, click record, choose all episodes and confirm. I tried it with Bill Maher ( a show I know repeats a lot through the week). Double checked in scheduled recordings and it's there

Andrew so you are saying if done this way it will stick every week with no addional steps every week? That would sweet!

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 137 of 1,107

theaircobra wrote:

99% chance they have the rate codes wrong.these are mine if you want to call billing to confirm..

HD Technology Fee

$0.00
09/26-10/25
  •  
  • Additional Outlet AnyRoom HD Service (Includes HD Technology Fee)
    $19.95
    09/26-10/25
  •  
  • Additional Outlet HD/DVR (Includes HD Technology Fee)
    $17.95
    09/26-10/25
  •  
  • AnyRoom DVR
    $0.00
    09/26-10/25
  •  
Posted by
New Poster

Message 138 of 1,107

So what are the rate codes they need to upload?  This just shows the service or are you just letting everyone know your services and that is how ours should match?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 139 of 1,107

The rate code that I posted reflects two dvrs and one companion with x1. For the system to recognize the the second dvr the correct rate codes must be placed on the account. This is nothing that is uploaded, it is something the the user can confirm while on the phone with billing to make sure that they placed on the account.

stssepd wrote:

So what are the rate codes they need to upload?  This just shows the service or are you just letting everyone know your services and that is how ours should match?

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 140 of 1,107

Why should one Comcast customer need to tell this to another Comcast customer because a Comcast employee that should know this doesn't know it???

gotpizza wrote:

The rate code that I posted reflects two dvrs and one companion with x1. For the system to recognize the the second dvr the correct rate codes must be placed on the account. This is nothing that is uploaded, it is something the the user can confirm while on the phone with billing to make sure that they placed on the account.

stssepd wrote:

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 141 of 1,107

Rick it shouldn't have to happen, but we know it does. So that is why I posted it, just in case it did happen to aircobra!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 142 of 1,107

Looks like because of the area I am in, I can only have 1. They can't even add the rate codes to my account. I contacted ComcastTeds and he is going to check with the California team to see if they can make an exception. It is pretty frustrating that the policy of how many DVRs you can have on your account vary by where you are in the country.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 143 of 1,107

I had the same issue. There was a guy in the local dispatch that had to do it. Did they leave the box?

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 144 of 1,107

It can be done.... They just need to add the rate codes. In some parts of the country, Comcast has advertised what is known as the "Super DVR" which is nothing more than 3 X1 DVRs...

But do we now see why X1 is not ready to be self install?

Hello Comcast???

theaircobra wrote:

Looks like because of the area I am in, I can only have 1. They can't even add the rate codes to my account. I contacted ComcastTeds and he is going to check with the California team to see if they can make an exception. It is pretty frustrating that the policy of how many DVRs you can have on your account vary by where you are in the country.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 145 of 1,107

The Xi3 would have RAM, but no local storage. It's probably all based on an SoC, much like a Roku or a smartphone, with a few gigs of RAM, a few gigs of flash storage for software and buffering, and the CPU and I/O pretty much all integrated, connected to a MoCA chip via Ethernet.

jehill, Your posts in the other thread are very informative. So it looks like the X1 Cloud DVR really isn't a Cloud DVR at all then, and Comcast is thinking about maybe someday making a true Cloud DVR (RS-DVR)? In that case, the Cloud portion must be a "ghost" of the local X1 DVR to support the mobile devices? That seems like a massive kludge, even more so than the concept of a network DVR in the first place. All video on Comcast is compressed. I don't think the Cloud DVR can be MPEG-2 straight from the QAM side of the network, however. I think there is a separate, parallel set of channels in MPEG-4 that's being used for the ghost "Cloud" DVR that supports the mobile side. First of all, AFAIK, iPads and the like can't even handle MPEG-2 video, and secondly, the sizes that are being reported (and complained about) in that thread are saying 2-3GB per hour, which is about half of what Comcast's normal MPEG-2 does (typically 5-6GB/hour). What's weird, however, is I would think they would compress more than that if it was just for mobile, although maybe they are concerned about the quality on a PC...

What a confusing jumble of different technologies they have created! They should have just bought a few million TiVo Roamio Pros and Minis and called it a day! I find it amusing that they can't seem to get past 500GB, when I've had 2TB for longer than X1 has been available on my TiVo Premiere XL4.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 146 of 1,107

BiggAW wrote:

The Xi3 would have RAM, but no local storage. It's probably all based on an SoC, much like a Roku or a smartphone, with a few gigs of RAM, a few gigs of flash storage for software and buffering, and the CPU and I/O pretty much all integrated, connected to a MoCA chip via Ethernet.

jehill, Your posts in the other thread are very informative. So it looks like the X1 Cloud DVR really isn't a Cloud DVR at all then, and Comcast is thinking about maybe someday making a true Cloud DVR (RS-DVR)? In that case, the Cloud portion must be a "ghost" of the local X1 DVR to support the mobile devices? That seems like a massive kludge, even more so than the concept of a network DVR in the first place. All video on Comcast is compressed. I don't think the Cloud DVR can be MPEG-2 straight from the QAM side of the network, however. I think there is a separate, parallel set of channels in MPEG-4 that's being used for the ghost "Cloud" DVR that supports the mobile side. First of all, AFAIK, iPads and the like can't even handle MPEG-2 video, and secondly, the sizes that are being reported (and complained about) in that thread are saying 2-3GB per hour, which is about half of what Comcast's normal MPEG-2 does (typically 5-6GB/hour). What's weird, however, is I would think they would compress more than that if it was just for mobile, although maybe they are concerned about the quality on a PC...

What a confusing jumble of different technologies they have created! They should have just bought a few million TiVo Roamio Pros and Minis and called it a day! I find it amusing that they can't seem to get past 500GB, when I've had 2TB for longer than X1 has been available on my TiVo Premiere XL4.

. No one has their own set of off site recordings for the cloud service. The law makes everyone have their own copyright restrictions when they check out a dvr eventon a mobile device. this is no different than you getting a ebook from your local library. The files are all shared for each cable market. I think you have been reading too many reports., besides you tivo anyways why does it matter to you?
Posted by
Contributor

Message 147 of 1,107

I'm curious as to how this contraption works. It can't use shared files, as that would be a copyright violation. It either has to use local files from the DVR, or individual files in the "Cloud". If it's using all local files off of the local DVR, like TiVo does for it's mobile system, then it's not "Cloud" anything, it's just another way of transcoding and moving things around. If it is in the "Cloud", it has to be a "ghost" of the main DVR, and it has to be one copy per user.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 148 of 1,107

In Houston, I was told by a Comcast (not contract) insstaller at my house, that they allowed multiple DVR's when I got mine in June of 2013.  He said they no longer allow multiple DVR's in Houston.

Go figure.

And as gotpizza says, keep trying and maybe you can get an exception (including the correct rate/billing codes).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 149 of 1,107
It is not a copyright issue if you have authority to "check out" file based on your subscription. Works just like xod..
Posted by
Contributor

Message 150 of 1,107

It is a copyright issue if they give you access to shows from a common pool that they don't have VOD or internet rights to (not sure where the fine line between those is). If they do anythign like RS-DVR, even if it's only for mobile, it has to be one copy per user. Comcast does NOT have VOD/internet rights for everything that's on the linear channels they carry.