members

online now

discussions

X1 DVR

ANSWERED
Problem Solver

Re: X1 DVR

snt510 wrote:

seems reidiculous i have to go search this in a different screen than where i set up recordings. i swear i had the option to start recording 1-2 minutes early and end 2-5 minutes late, all of a suddenly that option is gone and you have the ability to extend a recording 30, 60, or 90 minutes - why the h8ll would i want 30 minutes added? why is there no 1, 2, 5 miute option? i would not have found this had i not decided to search the forum (which most xfinity customers dont do)

If its a sports show, the early start and late end time options are much longer than a non sports show.

Frequent Visitor

Did anybody ever hear from Xfinity about the loss of 1/3 of our storage space?  I never heard from them and it has not been fixed.

Service Expert

bhwilly wrote:

Did anybody ever hear from Xfinity about the loss of 1/3 of our storage space?  I never heard from them and it has not been fixed.

the current build of XRE server 1.68.06 10/31/2016 'appears' to be reporting the in-use percentage of the cloud DVR not the physical DVR. You can verify that by running the iOS version of the xFinity TV Remote using the DVR Manager Tab - recordings. The TV Remote app will show the actual percentage in use on the physical DVR(s). No word yet from an official comcast employee that I am aware of about the issue.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I'm not sure how to do this.  Could you be more specific?  As far as I know, I never set up the cloud.

Service Expert

bhwilly wrote:

I'm not sure how to do this.  Could you be more specific?  As far as I know, I never set up the cloud.

using the TV streaming site https://tv.xfinity.com/ login, then navigate menu to "saved" then "recordings". when you see the list above it will be the cloud DVR space in use percentage.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I see 93% on the Saved section of the website, the same 93% I see at home on the physical devices.   It seems to me that the physical devices are not reporting the correct numbers any more.

Frequent Visitor

**UPDATE** 

As of this morning, my two DVR system (which had jumped from 48% up to 96%) and we've been struggling to keep it below 100%, has now DROPPED back down to 45%.     Looks like whatever calculation that we being used has reverted to what it was before.  

Frequent Visitor

You are lucky - no change for me.

Service Expert

bhwilly wrote:

You are lucky - no change for me.

did you check your XRE server version of software (xfinity >>gear(settings) >> about. mine got fixed with this verion 1.68.08 11/10/2016 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Mine didn't have the same setting options.  I did hear from Xfinity/Comcast.  They told me to go into the cloud and see if there were recordings there I had deleted on my DVR, but were still on the cloud.  I was told when I got the DVR I didn't have to use the cloud so I didn't.  Apparently, it was set up by Xfinity recently and that was the problem.  There were several programs on the cloud that I had deleted on the DVR.  Once I deleted them on the cloud, it lowered the percent showing on the DVR.  I really appreciate your help!

Contributor

I don't seem to have the issue most are talking about in this thread. But I will say that my X1 TV app and my X1 DVR box seem to not have the same precentage. They use to but currently when I view the precents at the moment (I don't have that much on DVR just 9 recordings all HD):

- X1 DVR box the percentage says: 12%

- X1 TV iOS app the precentage says: 15%

It's not the big of a deal since it's a 3% difference but is it something wrong with Comcast's algorithm? Or does the physical DVR and Cloud DVR suppose to show different precentages?

Service Expert

bruistopher wrote:

I don't seem to have the issue most are talking about in this thread. But I will say that my X1 TV app and my X1 DVR box seem to not have the same precentage. They use to but currently when I view the precents at the moment (I don't have that much on DVR just 9 recordings all HD):

- X1 DVR box the percentage says: 12%

- X1 TV iOS app the precentage says: 15%

It's not the big of a deal since it's a 3% difference but is it something wrong with Comcast's algorithm? Or does the physical DVR and Cloud DVR suppose to show different precentages?

the cloud DVR now is limited to last 60 hours (either SD or HD) on a first in first out basis. The physical DVR is based on ahrd drive space and depnds on length and if program is stored in HD or SD format.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

When wanting to extend a recording time more than 30 minutes how can you do this???

Service Expert

tstack wrote:

When wanting to extend a recording time more than 30 minutes how can you do this???

some live shows allow you to extend them for more time. a reliable way is to record the next show on the same channel (or shows).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Valued Contributor

After spending a few days visiting up in North Jersey on Verizon FiOS, there is one feature I really really really hope Comcast will add, and that is to show the playback action on the front LED display of the XG1 boxes. What I mean is when playing back a recording, or an On Demand program, or a buffered live recording, FF displays when fast fowarding, REW displays when rewinding, PLAY displays* when playing back, and PAUS displays* when pausing. (*for about thirty seconds, then the clock redisplays). I really think this is a simple feature to implement.

Most Valued Poster

MikeWolf wrote:

After spending a few days visiting up in North Jersey on Verizon FiOS, there is one feature I really really really hope Comcast will add, and that is to show the playback action on the front LED display of the XG1 boxes. What I mean is when playing back a recording, or an On Demand program, or a buffered live recording, FF displays when fast fowarding, REW displays when rewinding, PLAY displays* when playing back, and PAUS displays* when pausing. (*for about thirty seconds, then the clock redisplays). I really think this is a simple feature to implement.

I like your optimism on what can be implemented but history shows us that what seems simple is not getting done.

Service Expert

MikeWolf wrote:

Considering that only the DVR's have an LED display, your request wouldn't go well with any STB that could not display the feature.....  

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Service Expert

MikeWolf wrote:

The front display isn't viewable for those of us who use the ability to "hide" our X1 STB in a cabinet or behind something like my DVR that can only be placed behind my TV.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Valued Contributor

Ok? I'm not sure what your point is. How is that any different then those who place their FiOS STB's (which display those statuses) in a cabinet or behind a tv? The playback controls and statuses we see on the tv would still be there for those who can't see the LED display. I'm just saying it'd be nice for the LED display to do something other then just show the time.

Service Expert

Topic Now Being Closed.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Digital Space Game

The X1 DVR. Fantastic technology. Now Comcast can play around with your TV setup while you sleep. What happens is, they send messages to your TV system in the wee hours, telling you it's time to reboot. If you're asleep and unable to choose "reboot later", they boot it for you. But when they do, they're often reconfiguring the digital space on your box for the purpose of putting together new packages to attract new customers. Best I can describe… they take away features you signed on (and have been paying) for every month, and use the digital space those features previously occupied to create space for new and more attractive sales features. Among the many, many features I originally agreed to pay for on my box and no longer have: zoom ; pause with frame-by-frame forward/reverse ; 3-hour pause capability... and much more. The frame transition resolution on my fast forward/reverse has been reduced to a hack since I purchased my initial package. The period of time deleted recordings may be stored for revoverability has also been drastically reduced. But by far the biggest and most unforgivable act, my opinion, was when Comcast actually stole "Manual Recording". Without this primal feature, viewers can no longer simply tell their box to record, say, NBC from 9 to 11:30pm on any given Monday - like they could on any crummy old VCR. They must now accept specific record options the company has provided - choosing, for instance, 5, 15 or 30 minutes extra for end/start times (these options may range from 1 to 3 hours for sporting events or otherwise special programming - like maybe the Oscars). If a program you've cued to record is delayed by the network due to, say, a presidential speech, the block Comcast provides for its air time often misses the full show. It's robbing Peter to pay Paul because, in the end, there's only so much digital space to play with. Among the various newer features added in lieu of the old ones since my account began: multiple program record capability ; Guide/TV Listings day-by-day search advance (heavily hyped) ; various voice-prompt features… more. They may be decent features. But boiled down, the company is telling faithful customers it doesn't care what they signed on, bought and have been paying for. "To heck with you, we're expanding our consumer base." How insulting - particularly in my area where Comcast enjoys an absolute monopoly. I've tried discussing the issue with a number of upper-echelon Comcast tech supervisors - all of whom act like they have no idea what I'm talking about. It has recently been dawning on me how utterly massive Comcast has become. Global. Too big to have any care to listen to tiny paying customers like you and me. Arrogant audacity, and not at all in the spirit of true American consumerism. The X1 DVR.

Official Employee

Re: Digital Space Game

Hi,

The feature to record a channel for a specific amount of time has not been removed. You can go to the grid guide, hover over the channel logo and number in the guide and press record. Once you do this, you'll have the option to record a specific channel for up to 12 hours at a time.

Hope this helps.

Gwen

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Most Valued Poster

Re: Digital Space Game

Oscarreed wrote:

The X1 DVR. Fantastic technology. Now Comcast can play around with your TV setup while you sleep. What happens is, they send messages to your TV system in the wee hours, telling you it's time to reboot. If you're asleep and unable to choose "reboot later", they boot it for you. But when they do, they're often reconfiguring the digital space on your box for the purpose of putting together new packages to attract new customers. Best I can describe… they take away features you signed on (and have been paying) for every month, and use the digital space those features previously occupied to create space for new and more attractive sales features. Among the many, many features I originally agreed to pay for on my box and no longer have: zoom ; pause with frame-by-frame forward/reverse ; 3-hour pause capability... and much more. The frame transition resolution on my fast forward/reverse has been reduced to a hack since I purchased my initial package. The period of time deleted recordings may be stored for revoverability has also been drastically reduced. But by far the biggest and most unforgivable act, my opinion, was when Comcast actually stole "Manual Recording". Without this primal feature, viewers can no longer simply tell their box to record, say, NBC from 9 to 11:30pm on any given Monday - like they could on any crummy old VCR. They must now accept specific record options the company has provided - choosing, for instance, 5, 15 or 30 minutes extra for end/start times (these options may range from 1 to 3 hours for sporting events or otherwise special programming - like maybe the Oscars). If a program you've cued to record is delayed by the network due to, say, a presidential speech, the block Comcast provides for its air time often misses the full show. It's robbing Peter to pay Paul because, in the end, there's only so much digital space to play with. Among the various newer features added in lieu of the old ones since my account began: multiple program record capability ; Guide/TV Listings day-by-day search advance (heavily hyped) ; various voice-prompt features… more. They may be decent features. But boiled down, the company is telling faithful customers it doesn't care what they signed on, bought and have been paying for. "To heck with you, we're expanding our consumer base." How insulting - particularly in my area where Comcast enjoys an absolute monopoly. I've tried discussing the issue with a number of upper-echelon Comcast tech supervisors - all of whom act like they have no idea what I'm talking about. It has recently been dawning on me how utterly massive Comcast has become. Global. Too big to have any care to listen to tiny paying customers like you and me. Arrogant audacity, and not at all in the spirit of true American consumerism. The X1 DVR.

===

You have joined a large group of us who have fussed and fumed for a very long time about basic useful features we lose when they new bells and whistles often for 'small target audiences' and not universally wanted/used. All that you mentioned and the biggest one for many of us is the loss of the recording buffer.

Contributor

Using 2 X1 DVR boxes

Hi,

I'm not sure if this question has been answered before or not. I apologize in advance.

But I have two X1 DVR boxes. I exchanged my XiD box to get that second X1 DVR. I saw on the forums that this would add 12 tuners (6 tuners per box) plus increase my Cloud storage.

Now since both boxes communicate with one another (all recordings show up on both boxes) does that mean that if "A" box is doing 6 recordings, does "B" box still use it's 6 tuners to record the same shows? If so, then technically don't have 12 tuners.

Or how does the 12 tuners work with 2 X1 DVR boxes?

Because I ran into an issue where if "B" box wants to watch live TV it can't since ALL tuners are in use. This message always pops up for that box. But I can watch live TV fine with "A" box without getting that "ALL tuners are use" message.

Thanks.
Official Employee

Re: Using 2 X1 DVR boxes

bruistopher wrote:
Hi,

I'm not sure if this question has been answered before or not. I apologize in advance.

But I have two X1 DVR boxes. I exchanged my XiD box to get that second X1 DVR. I saw on the forums that this would add 12 tuners (6 tuners per box) plus increase my Cloud storage.

Now since both boxes communicate with one another (all recordings show up on both boxes) does that mean that if "A" box is doing 6 recordings, does "B" box still use it's 6 tuners to record the same shows? If so, then technically don't have 12 tuners.

Or how does the 12 tuners work with 2 X1 DVR boxes?

Because I ran into an issue where if "B" box wants to watch live TV it can't since ALL tuners are in use. This message always pops up for that box. But I can watch live TV fine with "A" box without getting that "ALL tuners are use" message.

Thanks.

The system chooses whichever dvr has less space and is not occupied for future scheduled recordings. The only way you can designate which dvr records if you are at that specific dvr and press record.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, Andrew. But is what you said in reference to the tuners?

I'm just confused by the tuners operation period.

Is there a clear explanation on how they work when there is two X1 DVR's in one household?

I know both boxes will record the same shows. I always thought. If the DVR I use to set recordings (A) will be the one using up its tuners and some of "B" tuners if there are more than 6 recordings going on (A). But "B" would still be able to watch live TV if there are some tuners available. Is that the right thinking? I just don't understand how "B" box gets the "ALL tuners are in use" message when trying to watch live TV.

Thanks.

I apologize for opening up my own thread for this question. I should of reverted to this thread to post in.
Official Employee

bruistopher wrote:
Thanks for the reply, Andrew. But is what you said in reference to the tuners?

I'm just confused by the tuners operation period.

Is there a clear explanation on how they work when there is two X1 DVR's in one household?

I know both boxes will record the same shows. I always thought. If the DVR I use to set recordings (A) will be the one using up its tuners and some of "B" tuners if there are more than 6 recordings going on (A). But "B" would still be able to watch live TV if there are some tuners available. Is that the right thinking? I just don't understand how "B" box gets the "ALL tuners are in use" message when trying to watch live TV.

Thanks.

I apologize for opening up my own thread for this question. I should of reverted to this thread to post in.

I think where you're confused is that both DVRs aren't recording the same thing at the same time. One is recording ( A or a show/movie but you have access to the recording on both. Are you getting that message "all tuners in use now" now that you have the second dvr or you were getting it in the past?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

Andrew,

Wow. I didn't know both DVRs aren't recording the same thing. That's good to know.

But I was getting the "All tuners are in use " message with my previous configuration which was:

"A" X1 DVR box
"B" XiD companion box

Of course the XiD box doesn't have tuners and relies on the primary X1 DVR box.

Which led to me switching out the XiD companion box for another X1 DVR to have more tuners. But I was still getting that message with the new X1 DVR box that replaced the XiD.

My current configuration is:

"A" X1 DVR box
"B" X1 DVR box

Is there codes that need to be applied to my account?

I might have been using all the tuners both nights not sure. I know one night when the message "All tuners in use" popped up on the "B" box I chose the "Change Channel" option. That recording stopped (which I didn't want to happen) and I was able to switch channels again.
Problem Solver

bruistopher wrote:
Andrew,

Wow. I didn't know both DVRs aren't recording the same thing. That's good to know.

But I was getting the "All tuners are in use " message with my previous configuration which was:

"A" X1 DVR box
"B" XiD companion box

Of course the XiD box doesn't have tuners and relies on the primary X1 DVR box.

Which led to me switching out the XiD companion box for another X1 DVR to have more tuners. But I was still getting that message with the new X1 DVR box that replaced the XiD.

My current configuration is:

"A" X1 DVR box
"B" X1 DVR box

Is there codes that need to be applied to my account?

I might have been using all the tuners both nights not sure. I know one night when the message "All tuners in use" popped up on the "B" box I chose the "Change Channel" option. That recording stopped (which I didn't want to happen) and I was able to switch channels again.

It is possible when you tried to watch "Live TV" on your "B" box, you were currently recording 6 shows already on the "B" box. I don't believe the DVRs can borrow a tuner from another DVR if that DVR is already recording on all it's tuners.

Why don't you just do a test during a time you are not watching the TV? Go to the guide and set 12 recordings for the same time frame. If all record, then you can be assured you do indeed have 12 tuners available.

Contributor

Thanks, HowAboutThisOne.

I did a test run just now and recorded 12 miscellaneous shows. I do in fact have 12 tuners. But that 12th tuner could only be used for watching live TV i.e changing channels or could only stay on the channel of the recording. So to avoid conflict with "B" box getting the "All Tuners are in use". I can only record 10 shows aka use 10 tuners. So that both "A" and "B" box can each have a tuner for live TV to change channels.

I and someone else both record several shows and they overlap with times. So that's why I was concerned with the tuners and also wanted to get a second X1 DVR for extra storage.

But I understand how the tuners work now. It sounds confusing but I got it. Thanks, HowAboutThisOne and Andrew for the help. I highly appreciate it!
Service Expert

Topic now Closed.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

Re: X1 DVR and NASCAR

I am a huge NASCAR fan. Yesterday the race in Bristol was postponed due to rain. It was rescheduled and run today at the same time on the same Network.Reguardless of my setting the X1DVR to record this event, It Choose to ignore it.  

It seems to me that dealing with an Xfinity Sponsored event like NASCAR, someone would care that the DVR records the wohle show on the day it airs.  It works for Survivor (CBS) and records every show reguardless of the day its scheduled, why cant the same "instructions" work for NASCAR?

Absolutly, I could be missing a simple solution and will publically apologise if im just an ID10T.

Gold Problem Solver

DVR's record according to the guide schedule. Comcast would not have had the opportunity to update the guide in time for the Monday race rain out (FYI Comcast uses a 3rd party company for their guide data).

The only way you could have made this recording work would have been to have set a manual recording for what ever program was scheduled to occur when the race was actually broadcast today.

SunsetSurfer wrote:

I am a huge NASCAR fan. Yesterday the race in Bristol was postponed due to rain. It was rescheduled and run today at the same time on the same Network.Reguardless of my setting the X1DVR to record this event, It Choose to ignore it.  

It seems to me that dealing with an Xfinity Sponsored event like NASCAR, someone would care that the DVR records the wohle show on the day it airs.  It works for Survivor (CBS) and records every show reguardless of the day its scheduled, why cant the same "instructions" work for NASCAR?

Absolutly, I could be missing a simple solution and will publically apologise if im just an ID10T.

New Poster

There was nearly 26 hours between the canceling, (due to rain-out) of the race and the following days actual airing.   Scheduled for noon on Sunday and delayed to Monday at 3pm. that is certainly enough time to have the slacker 3rd party update the guide so we could contine to enjoy your sponsored events. I know for a fact FOX sends programming changes to its affiliates so that they know what they are airing on the channel. I am not a programmer but I dont see how bad it is to "injest" this date and update the guide in an expedient manner.

Gold Problem Solver

You have a point but unless you adjust your thinking you are going to miss recordings. It simply doesn't work how you are expecting it to and it has been that way since DVRs hit the market.

SunsetSurfer wrote:

There was nearly 26 hours between the canceling, (due to rain-out) of the race and the following days actual airing.   Scheduled for noon on Sunday and delayed to Monday at 3pm. that is certainly enough time to have the slacker 3rd party update the guide so we could contine to enjoy your sponsored events. I know for a fact FOX sends programming changes to its affiliates so that they know what they are airing on the channel. I am not a programmer but I dont see how bad it is to "injest" this date and update the guide in an expedient manner.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 DVR - all recordings gone

I also tried to record on the buffer a few months ago and couldn't (still can't) so I just assume that you can't do that, and do not think they will have a update/fix to do a record on buffer.

I never tried to do a buffer recording before a few months ago so I don't know if you were able to do it last year or any other time. I know this is of no help I just wanted to state my experience on the buffer recording.

Most Valued Poster

dgoforit wrote:

I also tried to record on the buffer a few months ago and couldn't (still can't) so I just assume that you can't do that, and do not think they will have a update/fix to do a record on buffer.

I never tried to do a buffer recording before a few months ago so I don't know if you were able to do it last year or any other time. I know this is of no help I just wanted to state my experience on the buffer recording.

The recording buffer was one of the best DVR features of X1 and taking it away was a dis-service to all those who depended on it.

Service Expert

TerriB wrote:

dgoforit wrote:

The recording buffer was one of the best DVR features of X1 and taking it away was a dis-service to all those who depended on it.

Comcast was forced to remove the feature after TiVo enforced its patent. TiVo equipment does do this function. The patents expire mostly in 2018.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Most Valued Poster

Rustyben wrote:

TerriB wrote:

dgoforit wrote:

Comcast was forced to remove the feature after TiVo enforced its patent. TiVo equipment does do this function. The patents expire mostly in 2018.

Rustyben.....we have heard this Tivo this -Tivo that for a long time. Why did they all of a sudden decide to 'enforce' the patent? Surely Comcast and Cox knew that one existed since they both had recording buffers. All was well until Comcast X1 and Cox Contour took flight and everyone learned to love the buffer and and then slam wham....buffer gone. Can we expect our former recording buffer to re -appear after the patent runs out? What do you mean by 'mostly' expire?  Can you educate me as to the method to search for this patent...I don't know its 'proper' name.  I know how to search patents for brand names drugs but not for such as this and I sure would like to know the details so we can start feeding back to Comcast to reinstate the buffer when the time comes. Thanks so much

Service Expert

TerriB wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

TerriB wrote:

dgoforit wrote:

Rustyben.....we have heard this Tivo this -Tivo that for a long time. Why did they all of a sudden decide to 'enforce' the patent? Surely Comcast and Cox knew that one existed since they both had recording buffers. All was well until Comcast X1 and Cox Contour took flight and everyone learned to love the buffer and and then slam wham....buffer gone. Can we expect our former recording buffer to re -appear after the patent runs out? What do you mean by 'mostly' expire?  Can you educate me as to the method to search for this patent...I don't know its 'proper' name.  I know how to search patents for brand names drugs but not for such as this and I sure would like to know the details so we can start feeding back to Comcast to reinstate the buffer when the time comes. Thanks so much

Comcast loses these cases that seem to happen every month or two. RoVi bought all of TiVos patents by buying their company. I don't follow Cox but Comcast is well covered in DSL reports (they seem to be a bit one sided against Comcast though). Just this week, Comcast lost with two judgements by an 'international' committee to TiVo re: the guide and finding and recording programming by 'point and shoot' (like hitting record button). I can't imagine Comcast removing this feature nor the 'anyroom' access of recordings and believe they will go ahead and license the features. Many of the MSO (cable providers like Comcast) that are not huge offer the TiVo equipment for rental to keep from having these issues as well as they get the Rovi schedule 'metadata' for free. I wish Comcast had the option for us to rent TiVo equipment from them (as an option).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

TerriB wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

TerriB wrote:

dgoforit wrote:

Comcast loses these cases that seem to happen every month or two. RoVi bought all of TiVos patents by buying their company. I don't follow Cox but Comcast is well covered in DSL reports (they seem to be a bit one sided against Comcast though). Just this week, Comcast lost with two judgements by an 'international' committee to TiVo re: the guide and finding and recording programming by 'point and shoot' (like hitting record button). I can't imagine Comcast removing this feature nor the 'anyroom' access of recordings and believe they will go ahead and license the features. Many of the MSO (cable providers like Comcast) that are not huge offer the TiVo equipment for rental to keep from having these issues as well as they get the Rovi schedule 'metadata' for free. I wish Comcast had the option for us to rent TiVo equipment from them (as an option).

Curious if you have any more info...

How do they continue to use the guide and other finding things you mention, if they haven't licensed yet.  And if they can do that, why can't they keep offering the frame by frame or buffer record, until they license?

And how can Tivo/Rovi own a patent on frame by frame advance, when that capability existed on VCRs?  (I've heard the same "comcast can't offer it because of patents" for frame by frame, slow mo and reverse sl mo before, but maybe that wasn't accurate.)

Thx

Service Expert

tctc wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

TerriB wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

TerriB wrote:

dgoforit wrote:

Curious if you have any more info...

How do they continue to use the guide and other finding things you mention, if they haven't licensed yet.  And if they can do that, why can't they keep offering the frame by frame or buffer record, until they license?

And how can Tivo/Rovi own a patent on frame by frame advance, when that capability existed on VCRs?  (I've heard the same "comcast can't offer it because of patents" for frame by frame, slow mo and reverse sl mo before, but maybe that wasn't accurate.)

Thx

the way it works normally is that any feature that 'can' be removed no matter the inconvenience or business model must be removed or (in this case) Comcast pays a settlement for what is in place now (similar to a license) that expires on the next major technology update (like moving from xfinity to X1 systems). Time will tell. subscribe to DSL reports or add them to your twitter feed and add Comcast and Tivo to your Google news feed. between the two sources, they pretty much keep the followers up to date.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

The buffer recording was removed over a year ago after being around for years and years.  We were told at the time it was because they were doing the "online dvr" thing and wanted the 2 experiences to be the same. So basically, those of us paying for a physical box were being penalized because they wanted to do this other thing and not do a few "if ... then ..." or case statements.

Nothing was ever said about patents.  So if someone at Comcast said it was due to patents since then, they lied one of those times.  I suspect the original expaination was the correct one.  The patent excuse always comes up as an excuse for why they don't do something but usually it sounds like bs.

Regular Contributor

LIVE Recording stopped too soon

I scheduled the NASCAR race to record on Sunday, 8/13.  It was a LIVE event, so I was able to set the end recording time to 90 minutes late.  The race ran longer than the scheduled time.  The DVR stopped recording a few minutes after the end of the race, but way before the the 90 minute extension was done.  When it stopped, the Recordings and Scheduled lists still said that it was recording.  When I tried to resume watching, it would start at the beginning and the progress bar was greyed out past the end of the recording to the end of  the 90 minute extension.  This looks suspiciously like the Comcast auto-extend for LIVE sports over-ruled my scheduled recording time.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I am on XRE 1.77.05 form 8/1 and STB 2.12.0 from 8/5.

Service Expert

Re: LIVE Recording stopped too soon

ThomT wrote:

I scheduled the NASCAR race to record on Sunday, 8/13.  It was a LIVE event, so I was able to set the end recording time to 90 minutes late.  The race ran longer than the scheduled time.  The DVR stopped recording a few minutes after the end of the race, but way before the the 90 minute extension was done.  When it stopped, the Recordings and Scheduled lists still said that it was recording.  When I tried to resume watching, it would start at the beginning and the progress bar was greyed out past the end of the recording to the end of  the 90 minute extension.  This looks suspiciously like the Comcast auto-extend for LIVE sports over-ruled my scheduled recording time.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I am on XRE 1.77.05 form 8/1 and STB 2.12.0 from 8/5.

Everyone has reported this issue.  Comcast only goes by what they receive from the content providers; they have no control over when events last longer than what was scheduled.  I usually record an exta hour or so after each NASCAR race but I forgot to do it this time.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

RobertWy wrote:

ThomT wrote:

Everyone has reported this issue.  Comcast only goes by what they receive from the content providers; they have no control over when events last longer than what was scheduled.  I usually record an exta hour or so after each NASCAR race but I forgot to do it this time.

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I did have the event scheduled to record 90 minutes past the scheduled end time.  Comcast stopped recording when the race was over, instead of the extra time that I had chosen.

Regular Contributor

ThomT wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

ThomT wrote:

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I did have the event scheduled to record 90 minutes past the scheduled end time.  Comcast stopped recording when the race was over, instead of the extra time that I had chosen.

I'd assume that for whatever reason your setting of the extended 90 minutes either didn't take or ended up getting reset, and then it defaulted back to extended time.   I haven't seen that issue, yet.

Who decides whether an event is a sport, comcast or the network?

I've had some weird situations when recording what is clearly a sport, but no option beyond half an hour, so clearly it's not tagged as a sport.

But then I've also tried to record a sport where I got the menu item that asks if I only want to record that game or all games, and then still could only extend by 30 min..  So it clearly was tagged as a sport...

This has happened with racing and volleyball, so not top 4 sports, but just wondering who is doing the tagging.

Service Expert

tctc wrote:

ThomT wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

ThomT wrote:

I'd assume that for whatever reason your setting of the extended 90 minutes either didn't take or ended up getting reset, and then it defaulted back to extended time.   I haven't seen that issue, yet.

I've had some weird situations when recording what is clearly a sport, but no option beyond half an hour, so clearly it's not tagged as a sport.

But then I've also tried to record a sport where I got the menu item that asks if I only want to record that game or all games, and then still could only extend by 30 min..  So it clearly was tagged as a sport...

This has happened with racing and volleyball, so not top 4 sports, but just wondering who is doing the tagging.

Comcast doesn't flag a program; that is done by the content provider.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

RobertWy wrote:

tctc wrote:

ThomT wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

ThomT wrote:

Comcast doesn't flag a program; that is done by the content provider.

So you think the provider has flagged a program as a "sport", and Comcast uses that flag to determine if it looks for other "games" and if it allows extension of 30, 60 90 (instead of 3,5,30 or whatever it is for a non-sport)?

Regular Visitor

Problem: Even though I have scheduled ONLY new episodes it records repeats.
Problem: Now it has started combining multiple episodes, both new and repeats, into a single recording.
Problem: The screen keeps freezing. I can hear audio but the picture is stuck. Sometimes requires multiple restarts.

So, Comcast, what up!