members

online now

discussions

X1 DVR

SOLVED
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 451 of 1,107

It might be a box issue but I'd bet it's a signal issue. Make sure the tech thoroughly checks your signals. If you don't have an "X1 spec" RF amp, make sure the tech installs one.

netroamer wrote:

I had the X1 system installed on 1/23/15. The system consists of one X1 DVR and 4 HD boxes and one digital upgrade box.

The initial X1 failed with no HDMI output. The composite output was OK. When the tech came out to replace the box he noted that the installed box was 2 or 3 generations old and should never been on the installer's truck. He gave me a XG1-P box and said it was the latest version.

The new DVR has been buggy in so far as randomly rebooting and losing recordings or not recording scheduled recordings. It also randomly does not show scheduled recordings but later they pop up again.

Last night I scheduled 4 recordings. Three at the same time and one an hour later. I was watching a previously recorded show when the unit ws recording the first three. I check to see if they were actually recording and they were shown as recording. After finishing the previously recorded show I went to the recodings page to find all three were gone. I checked the guide to fing the fourth program with no record bullet.

I rebooted the the DVR and the first three programs came back, but when I went to click on them, there was no "watch" option. All the programs are on the cloud, and I can watch them that way, however, after a reset by tech support, they do not exist on the DVR.

I have a scheduled appointment to replace the DVR, but I and not confident that this is the fix. It acts as if this is a system bug, not a box issue.

I have a few days left on my 30-day cancellation, and it may be the way.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 452 of 1,107

RickGr4 wrote:

It might be a box issue but I'd bet it's a signal issue. Make sure the tech thoroughly checks your signals. If you don't have an "X1 spec" RF amp, make sure the tech installs one.

netroamer wrote:

I had the X1 system installed on 1/23/15. The system consists of one X1 DVR and 4 HD boxes and one digital upgrade box.

The initial X1 failed with no HDMI output. The composite output was OK. When the tech came out to replace the box he noted that the installed box was 2 or 3 generations old and should never been on the installer's truck. He gave me a XG1-P box and said it was the latest version.

The new DVR has been buggy in so far as randomly rebooting and losing recordings or not recording scheduled recordings. It also randomly does not show scheduled recordings but later they pop up again.

Last night I scheduled 4 recordings. Three at the same time and one an hour later. I was watching a previously recorded show when the unit ws recording the first three. I check to see if they were actually recording and they were shown as recording. After finishing the previously recorded show I went to the recodings page to find all three were gone. I checked the guide to fing the fourth program with no record bullet.

I rebooted the the DVR and the first three programs came back, but when I went to click on them, there was no "watch" option. All the programs are on the cloud, and I can watch them that way, however, after a reset by tech support, they do not exist on the DVR.

I have a scheduled appointment to replace the DVR, but I and not confident that this is the fix. It acts as if this is a system bug, not a box issue.

I tried to check the signal strength, but after a few moments the system replied that it could not check the signal.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 453 of 1,107
netroamer wrote:

I tried to check the signal strength, but after a few moments the system replied that it could not check the signal.

hi, another customer here. In many threads previously the comast red-letter Forum techs/admins have been able to make some account settings 'updates' and then the DVRs would show the previous recordings after a reboot. Did you already do a power-off reboot of the DVR? 

The menu signal strength (per another forum thread) only tells of the power levels of that particular set top box's DOCSIS modem (where the box gets the guide information etc) and is not the signal strength of channels. The easiest way to have them check your power levels is to call the x1 support center at 877-896-8678. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 454 of 1,107

You are not doing the signal check we usually refer to. But it needs to be noted here that a Comcast tech who is actually on site can test for quite a few more issues than any user is able to.

I HIGHLY recommend you save yourself time and energy by getting a tech out to your house. You have fixable issues but they are not issues that most users can fix on their own.

netroamer wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

netroamer wrote:

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 455 of 1,107

I have a tech scheduled to come out tomorrow. I'm sure many have had they same issue when contacting Comcast, however, it is VERY frustrating to spend 25 minutes on the phone with person #1 only to be cut off. Then 20 minutes with person #2 and agian cut off. The third person got the tech scheduled for tomorrow.

RickGr4 wrote:

You are not doing the signal check we usually refer to. But it needs to be noted here that a Comcast tech who is actually on site can test for quite a few more issues than any user is able to.

I HIGHLY recommend you save yourself time and energy by getting a tech out to your house. You have fixable issues but they are not issues that most users can fix on their own.

netroamer wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

netroamer wrote:

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 456 of 1,107

The Tech was out this morning and said the signal levels and RF amp were correct and OK. He explained the X1 system is new and is still "buggy" and then exchanged the DVR. After a few resets, everything appeared normal. I will test the system for the next several days.

Edit #1:

This unit has a problem with image masking.The image is masked top/bottom to give a aspect ratio closer to 1:85:1 then 1:78:1. I have tried various output resolutions and nothing changes. I checked the downstream chain with my Sencore HDMI pattern generator and the system is not the issue. Neither the first or second unit had this issue.

Edit #2:

This morning I started viewing one of the HD satellite units and there was no indication that the recording scheduled for that time was recording. I went to the DVR and when I tried to access the menu, I received an error message that "Something was wrong" and I should try to reboot the unit. After the reboot the DVR showed the recording. The satellite box still did not show anything until I rebooted it.

I had to reboot all the satellites to get them to show any recordings or scheduled recordings.

This is becoming a real pain. I"m not going to pay Comcast for the privilege of being a Beta tester. This system is nowhere close to being ready for distribution. The technology of being able to field upgrade products is a double-edged sword. Too many manufacturers are putting out products that they know are not ready with the philosophy of fixing them on the fly while reaping the immediate profits from sales.

Edit #3:

This DVR has an issue with what it records. During playback I am experiencing frequent pixel dropouts. In addition, when I try to FF/REW or jump back it errors out with a message that it cannot playback the recording at this time. I must go back to the menu, select the recording and the resume play.

Edit #4:

After a conversation with a person in the Level 2 tech group, she performed a few downloads that appears to have corrected all the issues I have noted.

I still have a couple of days of my eval period left and I am weighing whether to continue or not. My concerns revolve around the lack of control of live recordings on the satellite boxes and the ridiculous inability to add more than five minutes to a recording of a live broadcast to hedge against overrun.

The XI system has great potential, but was thrown out to the public way too early.

Posted by
New Poster
Message 457 of 1,107

Just got the X1 system, and I notice that many DVR recordings are cutting off the last 30s-2min of programs. To counter this, I habitually set recordings for 3 extra minutes, but on some programs I'm unable to watch them! The recording will reach the end of "normal" time and automatically stop and give the "you appear to have finished" message. Even though the recording bar seems to show the extra three minutes at the end, I can't seem to make it play.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 458 of 1,107

netroamer wrote:

The Tech was out this morning and said the signal levels and RF amp were correct and OK. He explained the X1 system is new and is still "buggy" and then exchanged the DVR. After a few resets, everything appeared normal. I will test the system for the next several days.

Edit #1:

This unit has a problem with image masking.The image is masked top/bottom to give a aspect ratio closer to 1:85:1 then 1:78:1. I have tried various output resolutions and nothing changes. I checked the downstream chain with my Sencore HDMI pattern generator and the system is not the issue. Neither the first or second unit had this issue.

Edit #2:

This morning I started viewing one of the HD satellite units and there was no indication that the recording scheduled for that time was recording. I went to the DVR and when I tried to access the menu, I received an error message that "Something was wrong" and I should try to reboot the unit. After the reboot the DVR showed the recording. The satellite box still did not show anything until I rebooted it.

I had to reboot all the satellites to get them to show any recordings or scheduled recordings.

This is becoming a real pain. I"m not going to pay Comcast for the privilege of being a Beta tester. This system is nowhere close to being ready for distribution. The technology of being able to field upgrade products is a double-edged sword. Too many manufacturers are putting out products that they know are not ready with the philosophy of fixing them on the fly while reaping the immediate profits from sales.

Edit #3:

This DVR has an issue with what it records. During playback I am experiencing frequent pixel dropouts. In addition, when I try to FF/REW or jump back it errors out with a message that it cannot playback the recording at this time. I must go back to the menu, select the recording and the resume play.

Edit #4:

After a conversation with a person in the Level 2 tech group, she performed a few downloads that appears to have corrected all the issues I have noted.

I still have a couple of days of my eval period left and I am weighing whether to continue or not. My concerns revolve around the lack of control of live recordings on the satellite boxes and the ridiculous inability to add more than five minutes to a recording of a live broadcast to hedge against overrun.

The XI system has great potential, but was thrown out to the public way too early. 

I have a monday/thursday/sunday smart phone recurring reminder to check for shows following live events that often run late. I then just hit record on the show following the one i want recorded to be sure i have the entire show. sports and live shows always have had this issue and DVRs only know the 'schedule'. 

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 459 of 1,107

Rustyben wrote:

netroamer wrote:

Edit #1:

Edit #2:

Edit #3:

Edit #4:

I have a monday/thursday/sunday smart phone recurring reminder to check for shows following live events that often run late. I then just hit record on the show following the one i want recorded to be sure i have the entire show. sports and live shows always have had this issue and DVRs only know the 'schedule'. 

When I went to set the record for the Oscars, I noted that the system will now allow extensions of 30min and up. I'm sure I could not do this for the Super Bowl. Did Comcast fix this in an update between the two events?

Posted by
New Poster
Message 460 of 1,107
Had my X1 box for 2 days. Set all my recordings after tech left. Next day all good. 2nd day everything was gone. Dvr saved items empty. Went to scheduled recordings to investigate. 36 random shows set to record, none of which I scheduled. I rebooted and no help. I called customer service and some dude I couldn't understand tells me someone in my household did it. Also, my phone line on my triple play is out. Tel 1 and tel2 won't light up on my new router/modem.
Posted by
Contributor
Message 461 of 1,107

I posted two different messages yesterday with the same problem. Except my dvr had over 400 shows scheduled to record over the next few weeks. And also, my previous settings and recordings were gone.

I called Comcast....they offered the same scripted answers....

1) let me send a signal.

2) reboot the dvr.

3) i can schedule a tech to come out.

Good grief....really!??!

Like i said, posted twice here looking for help and i got a couple of responses the most useful was to 'change my log in info'. And another fellow also had the same thing happen yesterday...lost his settings and random shows popped up in his recordings that he never asked for.

So after cleaning up the DVR last night. I get up this morning....more phantom shows have popped up on my scheduled menu this morning. And they were not there last night.

This has gone from frustrating to irritating to infuriating quickly.

Posted by
New Poster
Message 462 of 1,107

I am having the same issues. Was on the phone for over 2 hours after hearing the same answers over and over. They tell me to wait 7 days and MAYBE the glitches will work themselves out. Since the box is only 3 days old, it may be getting used to the signals sent to the house. I may have to call BS on that one. But, come Friday there better be a tech out to my house with a new box. Having 3 little kids at home and having their shows deleted every night...and then having 400 shows of sister sister, moesha, and criminal minds being recorded is not really something we need to be going through in our first days in our new house! 

if anyone has any fixes please let me know! 

Thanks

Posted by
New Poster
Message 463 of 1,107

Have the same exact problem, the same date almost! Got X1 service installed on the 21st. Recorded programs on the 22nd. They were present on the listed recordings on the 23rd. Come home from work on the 24th (yesterday) to find our recordings gone and someone else's recordings scheduled, shows that we do not watch. Called to report and CSR says they have not heard of the issue.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 464 of 1,107

Ditto here.

Got it installed on 2.21, all good until yesterday.

Here is the weird thing.

If I access the DVR through the xfinity.com, it shows just as my DVR.

If I access the DVR through the xfinity TV IOS app, all is there.

I have noticed that if I delete a program through the app, it shows in my "recently deleted" folder.

There seem to be a "major" disconnect between all of the backend systems.

Just went through the same ordeal with my email where the only solution was to delete/recreate the acct.

Wonder of we can do the same with the boxes.

Posted by
Contributor
Message 465 of 1,107

There is a common thread here....all these problems are from new installations. Like, folks that have had the X1 service (and equipment) installed within the last few days.

I am not sure about the technology here (someone more tech savvy can chime in) but if i understand these DVR's correctly, they have separate hard drives on them that store our individual programming....not just the shows themselves. So since we know these are all recycled boxes, i'm going to guess, again based on my understanding, that when these things went in to be 'refreshed', someone did not completely wipe the hard drives of the previous users programming. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 466 of 1,107
X1 saves in the cloud.
There appear to be 2 back end systems.
One where xfinity.com and the boxes hit and another one where the apps (iOS) hit.
The App is correct, the others are not, which lead me to believe they are out of sync.

I conclude this as I had issues with no email since Sunday. It was not until the test email bounced due to unknown address and the authentication errors that it clicked.
Deleting the email address and recreating the email address fixed the issue.
Too bad we cannot remove and re-add the boxes.
Posted by
Contributor
Message 467 of 1,107

That disconnect between the smartphone app, web acccess and the dvr itself is mystifying. There was a group of shows i recorded last week that seemingly disappeared. But -   though they disappeared from the DVR, my wife saw they were still there when she accessed our comcast account from her iphone. When i called comcast, they showed it as saved in the cloud, but when i went to our account thru my computer, they weren't there.

Unbelievable.

Now, the reason i assumed the programming is stored on the individual DVR's is because even when you set a show to record through the comcast website....it will tell to it's 'Accessing your DVR' after you set the program. So while the actual content is stored in the cloud,  the programming... i think ...is stored on your DVR.

I have a comcast tech due here in the am to see what's up.

Posted by
New Poster
Message 468 of 1,107

I have had my DVR since 2013 and I am having similar, yet different problems. My DVR was working until yesterday. Today it says No Listings Available yet it is 80% full. When I use DVR Manager from the web, I see all of my recordings. But unlike others, it doesn"t show up in my deleted shows on the DVR. 

I am not getting phantom listings as others have, just No Listings.

To make matters worse, I can't record anything. I select shows from the Guide to record and nothing happens. 

Tried calling Comcast and had DVR reset through phone automated option but no luck. When I try to talk to a representative, I get diconnected. I have tried multiple times, selecting different options but continually get disconneded. It is snowing in the ATL so that may have something to do with the phone problems (too many people calling with problems?). 

I just want my programs back!!!

Posted by
New Poster
Message 469 of 1,107

I have the Xfinity X1 platform and am wondering if there is a way for my recordings to show not in folders - meaning I'd just like them to show up by date and not be grouped together by title.  (My DVR tends to delete things often even when it says i'm only at 70% or so and would like to know what's going to be taken first)  Thank you!

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 470 of 1,107

RLG2001 wrote:
Had my X1 box for 2 days. Set all my recordings after tech left. Next day all good. 2nd day everything was gone. Dvr saved items empty. Went to scheduled recordings to investigate. 36 random shows set to record, none of which I scheduled. I rebooted and no help. I called customer service and some dude I couldn't understand tells me someone in my household did it. Also, my phone line on my triple play is out. Tel 1 and tel2 won't light up on my new router/modem.

Please report it to comcast so the IT Department can Investigate. Something does not sound right? Other people have reported the same issue regarding unauthorized recordings. Possible Security Breach that comcast may not be aware of?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 471 of 1,107

yc2pdx wrote:

I have the Xfinity X1 platform and am wondering if there is a way for my recordings to show not in folders - meaning I'd just like them to show up by date and not be grouped together by title.  (My DVR tends to delete things often even when it says i'm only at 70% or so and would like to know what's going to be taken first)  Thank you!

The answer is no, they can't.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster
Message 472 of 1,107

I've had service for 6 days and it worked at first.  Then I noticed that programs I scheduled to record were reporting to be "set to record" weren't showing up on my scheduled program list.  Then last night the 10 shows that I had recorded disappear from my saved program list.  Then this morning the only thing in the scheduled folder were random programs and absolutely noting in the saved folder.  Spent three hours on the phone talking to one supposed "tech" after the other to finally be told to shedule a home visit for either repair or equipment pickup.  I was finally told that a supervisor would call me within an hour that was at 9am and still no call.  If other businesses treated their customers the way Comcast does theirs they wouldn't have any customers.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 473 of 1,107

I have 3 DVR's and on 2 of them a lot of DVR recordings disappeared! Smiley Sad

Also I noticed tonight that some new recordings are only showing up on 1 of my DVR boxes.

What is going onmand how can I get this fixed?

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 474 of 1,107

Folks, very sorry for these issues.  I've made the X1 team aware and we are all hands on deck to resolve the problem. I'll keep you all posted as I learn more.  Thank you for your reports!

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Posted by
Contributor
Message 475 of 1,107

I have a Comcast tech out here right now and he doesnt know how or why these phantom recordings have shown up. He went into a menu (i believe Priorities, under recordings...i'm not sure as ive had this thing for a week) and found DOZENS of seemingly random scheduled recordings on my box. 

His only solution, and rightfully so, is to wipe the hard drive clean of all the programming on the main DVR as well as the other 3 set top boxes. I simply have to reset my scheduling stuff. Not a big deal really.

I just hope it works.

I do not ever want to see 100 episodes of Roseanne again on my DVR. 

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 476 of 1,107

tdbnbr wrote:

I have a Comcast tech out here right now and he doesnt know how or why these phantom recordings have shown up. He went into a menu (i believe Priorities, under recordings...i'm not sure as ive had this thing for a week) and found DOZENS of seemingly random scheduled recordings on my box. 

His only solution, and rightfully so, is to wipe the hard drive clean of all the programming on the main DVR as well as the other 3 set top boxes. I simply have to reset my scheduling stuff. Not a big deal really.

I just hope it works.

I do not ever want to see 100 episodes of Roseanne again on my DVR. 

Hi everyone.  Again very sorry for the DVR challenges over the last couple of days.  We have found the issue and have stopped the service that was causing the schedules to change in error.  We appologize for the inconveniences this has cause.  I will be posting a follow up to explain what happened in detail and help you correct the issue on your boxes but in the meantime, can some of you please try to playback any the content that was mistakenly recorded on your DVRs?  We need to determine if the content actually exists or if the boxes just think it exists from cloud scheduling.  Thanks for everyone's patience as we work through this.  -Neal

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 477 of 1,107

Howdy Comcast Neal,

I haven't heard back from you and I didn't put you on ignore.  I just noticed that was true.  I don't drink, I don't do drugs and I don't remember doing that.  Someone is screwing around with my account.

So, did you get my private message?

JumpingBum

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 478 of 1,107

Jumpingbum wrote:

Howdy Comcast Neal,

I haven't heard back from you and I didn't put you on ignore.  I just noticed that was true.  I don't drink, I don't do drugs and I don't remember doing that.  Someone is screwing around with my account.

So, did you get my private message?

JumpingBum

Hi Jumpingbum.  I just sent you a private message.  Sorry for my delays.  Thanks or your patience!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 479 of 1,107

I has Xfinity X1 installed yesterday.  I can't find any settings to fine-tune the on-screen guide.  Only 5 channels display due to large graphics and program info, plus the grey font against the black background makes the words difficult to read.  I have to put on my glasses to even read it.  Where are the settings to tweak this to make the guide readable?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 480 of 1,107

wbrightfl wrote:

I has Xfinity X1 installed yesterday.  I can't find any settings to fine-tune the on-screen guide.  Only 5 channels display due to large graphics and program info, plus the grey font against the black background makes the words difficult to read.  I have to put on my glasses to even read it.  Where are the settings to tweak this to make the guide readable?

comcast has just taken over the x1 set top box 'firmware' (wrote their own) that will hopefully give them ability to let us adjust the dude size/font/colors etc but is not adjustable at this time. If you have a smart phone there are several xFinity provided apps that give you a great guide to use and you can change the channel directly from the app even schedule programs to record or play back an already recorded show on the TV. (xfinity TV Remote). There is a full remote 'mockup' app "X1 Remote" that gives you access to most functions of the remote including voice control. (sadly it is missing the 15 second flashback that is just above the play/pause button on the remote). 

eventually, comcast will probably allow what you asked about. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 481 of 1,107

Rustyben wrote:

comcast has just taken over the x1 set top box 'firmware' (wrote their own) that will hopefully give them ability to let us adjust the dude size/font/colors etc but is not adjustable at this time. If you have a smart phone there are several xFinity provided apps that give you a great guide to use and you can change the channel directly from the app even schedule programs to record or play back an already recorded show on the TV. (xfinity TV Remote). There is a full remote 'mockup' app "X1 Remote" that gives you access to most functions of the remote including voice control. (sadly it is missing the 15 second flashback that is just above the play/pause button on the remote). 

Thanks for the response.  My iphone is too small to use as a guide.  I have a 30 day cancel period in my contract which I will be using and going back to Brighthouse if the guide isn't fixed.  I am shocked they rolled out a guide that hard to read. 

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 482 of 1,107

wbrightfl wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

Thanks for the response.  My iphone is too small to use as a guide.  I have a 30 day cancel period in my contract which I will be using and going back to Brighthouse if the guide isn't fixed.  I am shocked they rolled out a guide that hard to read. 

If you're seeing grey text on black, this isn't right. The text should be bright white.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 483 of 1,107

scjohnson312 wrote:

wbrightfl wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

If you're seeing grey text on black, this isn't right. The text should be bright white.

font on guide isn't adjustable. If a font is 'bright white' any scroll now or in the past over the text turns it to much darker white (say light gray) as if it is a web page link that has been selected in the past (similar to marked as 'read').

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 484 of 1,107

Hi Rustyben.

Do you think I would be a ble to take the 2 X1 boxes back to my local office and replace them with TIVOs and keep the same promo rate?  The TIVO on-screen guide is amazing and I would be willing to stay with Comcast if I can change out equipment, knowing I would lose the whole house DVR system. 

thanks,

Wesley

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 485 of 1,107

wbrightfl wrote:

Hi Rustyben.

Do you think I would be a ble to take the 2 X1 boxes back to my local office and replace them with TIVOs and keep the same promo rate?  The TIVO on-screen guide is amazing and I would be willing to stay with Comcast if I can change out equipment, knowing I would lose the whole house DVR system. 

thanks,

Wesley

there is no 'charge' for the x1 'system' it is just an access method with a DVR function. The comcast employees have red letter names, I'm just another customer.

I have seen in other threads that comcast gives a credit for each outlet where you supply your own equipment, however my local cable will rent cablecards (required for tivo dvrs) for $2.50/month. Some areas are $7 and maybe more per month. I was ready to switch over to tivo when suddenly congress removed the law requiring 'cablecards' for security. by this time next year cablecard devices may not be needed just ability to download the security files. The advantage to that would be no monthly charge for the cablecard and no power needed (a lot) to run the cablecards. Comcast does not care what equipment you use, they even have a tivo dvr manager web page.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 486 of 1,107

Rustyben wrote:

there is no 'charge' for the x1 'system' it is just an access method with a DVR function. The comcast employees have red letter names, I'm just another customer.

I have seen in other threads that comcast gives a credit for each outlet where you supply your own equipment, however my local cable will rent cablecards (required for tivo dvrs) for $2.50/month. Some areas are $7 and maybe more per month. I was ready to switch over to tivo when suddenly congress removed the law requiring 'cablecards' for security. by this time next year cablecard devices may not be needed just ability to download the security files. The advantage to that would be no monthly charge for the cablecard and no power needed (a lot) to run the cablecards. Comcast does not care what equipment you use, they even have a tivo dvr manager web page.

So this would save me even more $$.  I can take back the 2 X1 boxes and pick up 2 cablecards and reactivate my TIVOs which have been sitting in the garage. TIVOs didn't work welll with Brighthouse, who I had before Comcast was installed. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 487 of 1,107

I went to watch a recording and it was not on the main box, but it is on the other boxes. I tried unplugging the box and it didn't do anything. Is anyone else having this problem?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 488 of 1,107

Did you try the "sync my dvrs" in the menu?  

Also, you might try this for a missing recording.... enter the title of the program as if you're searching for it in the guide.  Often it will uncover and allow you to open a recording that somehow isn't in the saved items.  It will list the program as located on the DVR.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 489 of 1,107

I tried to sync it and it didn't work. Thanks though.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 490 of 1,107

Childs216 wrote:

I tried to sync it and it didn't work. Thanks though.

the red-letter comcast people have said in other threads that the dvr-sync is for use when changing out a new DVR for an old DVR in the home (to reprogram that DVR with current schedule).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 491 of 1,107

I switched to three X1 boxes and two small Digital boxes. I have had a tremendous amount of trouble.  I have called Comcast 4 times in the month that we have had this service.  Now I have no service at all.  All of our TV's have no picture or sound and Comcast says that it will take 3 days before they come to fix it.  This infuriates me because I pay almost $300. per month for this service and I pay extra every month for repair service.  I am beginning to think that this is not the company that I should be using!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 492 of 1,107

I have had nothing but trouble with my X-1 boxes.  I have three.  I have called them 4 times since they installed them 1 month ago.  Today none of them are working and I have no TV service.  Comcast says they won't come out until Wednesday and I pay extra every month for repair service.  What a terrible company to deal with!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 493 of 1,107

Penbare12 wrote:

I have had nothing but trouble with my X-1 boxes.  I have three.  I have called them 4 times since they installed them 1 month ago.  Today none of them are working and I have no TV service.  Comcast says they won't come out until Wednesday and I pay extra every month for repair service.  What a terrible company to deal with!

your internet and perhaps comcast provided phone service is working?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 494 of 1,107

Yes they are both working.  Amazing huh! Comcast is coming tomorrow to fix my no x-1 TV service.  It took them 4 days to get here! Seems unfair since if I'm 4 days late with my payment, I get a late charge!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 495 of 1,107

Penbare12 wrote:

Yes they are both working.  Amazing huh! Comcast is coming tomorrow to fix my no x-1 TV service.  It took them 4 days to get here! Seems unfair since if I'm 4 days late with my payment, I get a late charge!

did they arrive yet? ask them for the model of the amp if they change it out. I wanted to ask if the internet/phone was working if you knew where the power supply is for the amp (frequently somewhere in the home). You might want to ask the tech to show you where the amplifier power supply is so you can check to see if still plugged in. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 496 of 1,107

Just traded in my first X1 a couple weeks ago for a more recent model because the old one was doing some goofy stuff. Just tonight, I lost most of what I had recorded and not watched. Rebooted the box to no avail. The shows are not in the deleted folder and it was nowhere near full. A message came up briefly while we were watching a recording and said it was having trouble with the dvr service. Then they were gone. It appears that this issue has been ongoing for two years or so. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 497 of 1,107

rws8001 wrote:

Just traded in my first X1 a couple weeks ago for a more recent model because the old one was doing some goofy stuff. Just tonight, I lost most of what I had recorded and not watched. Rebooted the box to no avail. The shows are not in the deleted folder and it was nowhere near full. A message came up briefly while we were watching a recording and said it was having trouble with the dvr service. Then they were gone. It appears that this issue has been ongoing for two years or so. 

This has happened on several threads in the past, each time a red-letter-comcast employee has been able to fix the problem and the recordings (even ones being recorded when you can't see the current recordings) all become visible again. If your name used in the forum has your comcast primary email listed they can look up the account and fix it using that information. If not, they will send you a private message to get information.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 498 of 1,107

Turns out the little box was not plugged in.  Never thought to look where we found it.  We were told by installer it's in the Utility room.  Found it under the computer, on the lower floor.  Plugged it in and TV started working again.  Got credit though.  They waited 4 days to tell us that might be the problem.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 499 of 1,107

2 recordings show completely filled in progress bars. both recorded early morning 3/15/2015 12midnight and 12:30am "i dream of jeannie" channel 215 (both in SD). Would a Comcast person please check my log and see why I can not watch either beyond approximately 5 minutes? Just comes back to my recordings menu both show approximately 25 minutes left. any attempt to play again has only 'watch' not 'resume'. I'm watching (trying) them on the DVR "computer room".

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 500 of 1,107

Rustyben wrote:

2 recordings show completely filled in progress bars. both recorded early morning 3/15/2015 12midnight and 12:30am "i dream of jeannie" channel 215 (both in SD). Would a Comcast person please check my log and see why I can not watch either beyond approximately 5 minutes? Just comes back to my recordings menu both show approximately 25 minutes left. any attempt to play again has only 'watch' not 'resume'. I'm watching (trying) them on the DVR "computer room".

Rusty, try a PM.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon