members

online now

discussions

X1 DVR video freezes (crashes).

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 10

The video on our X1 will freeze while the sound continues normally. Changing channels will change the audio to the correct channel, but the video continues to show the same image no matter what we try. The only solution is to unplug the X1 wait 30 seconds then go through the boot up process. What causes the freeze? How can we prevent it?

9 REPLIES
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2 of 10

gcevereddy wrote:

The video on our X1 will freeze while the sound continues normally. Changing channels will change the audio to the correct channel, but the video continues to show the same image no matter what we try. The only solution is to unplug the X1 wait 30 seconds then go through the boot up process. What causes the freeze? How can we prevent it?

Video freezing is an indication of poor signals.....your best bet is to have a TECH onsite to evaluate and make the necessary repairs to your X1 system,

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 3 of 10

"Poor signals" is utter nonsense intended to avoid making an honest effort to root cause.

This issue comes up for many users when using the page up fast forward on a recorded program.  I have this happen about once a week.  Same symptoms as you describe.  Frozen video on the last frame before I pressed page up/fast forward.  Audio continues as normal.  Changing channel seems to work, as audio changes.  But video still frozen.  Menu functions work and the menu is visible.

Only solution I have found is to reboot the device.  Happens to me about 1-2 times a week.

It is clearly a software issue.  I would guess this will not get fixed until some Comcast software folks are made aware of the error and can reproduce it.  Probably not going to happen just based on message board threads.  Oh well.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 4 of 10

lysdexic wrote:

"Poor signals" is utter nonsense intended to avoid making an honest effort to root cause.

This issue comes up for many users when using the page up fast forward on a recorded program.  I have this happen about once a week.  Same symptoms as you describe.  Frozen video on the last frame before I pressed page up/fast forward.  Audio continues as normal.  Changing channel seems to work, as audio changes.  But video still frozen.  Menu functions work and the menu is visible.

Only solution I have found is to reboot the device.  Happens to me about 1-2 times a week.

It is clearly a software issue.  I would guess this will not get fixed until some Comcast software folks are made aware of the error and can reproduce it.  Probably not going to happen just based on message board threads.  Oh well.

to diagnose do you have another x1 set top box location in your home that you can use to swap? You would want to know if the problem stays with the location or follows the set top box.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 5 of 10

I have this exact same issue.  Signals are fine AFAIK.  If I go into the Comcast Labs section it shows "Good" for signal strenth. 

If I go into the actual system diagnostics (hold down exit for 5+ seconds, down arrow twice and 2) and look at the System-->Docsis section I have 40.1 downstream SNR and 51.5 upstream power.  From what I've gathered those are where they need to be.

I was going to take the box down to my local office to replace, but it sounds like this might not help.

+1 for people with this issue.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 6 of 10

mcp422 wrote:

I have this exact same issue.  Signals are fine AFAIK.  If I go into the Comcast Labs section it shows "Good" for signal strenth. 

If I go into the actual system diagnostics (hold down exit for 5+ seconds, down arrow twice and 2) and look at the System-->Docsis section I have 40.1 downstream SNR and 51.5 upstream power.  From what I've gathered those are where they need to be.

I was going to take the box down to my local office to replace, but it sounds like this might not help.

the DOCSIS is for data not the channels (different frequencies). A local tech can run a test on all the channel frequency bands.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 7 of 10

Actually, an upstream reading of 51.5 is out of spec and indicative of a problem. Your X1 box is working too hard to return signals back to Comcast which is critical with X1.

I was in a similar situation when I first got X1 3.5 years ago. When I first moved into my current house, Comcast installed an RF amp that proved to be incompatible with X1. The upstream was too high with the original amp. Once I installed the correct RF amp, my X1 service has been extremely reliable.

FYI, the signal meter in Comcast Labs is nearly pointless. It does test for many crucial X1 signal levels including upstream. It should not be relied upon.

The ONLY person that can see ALL critical X1 signals is a Comcast tech who is at your house. You REALLY should consider asking Comcast to send a tech out...

mcp422 wrote:

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 8 of 10

Sorry but you are mistaken, however this is a common mistake.

Why? Because the X1 guide is cloud based. Every single button you press on the remote is going back and forth on the cloud, over a wide range of frequencies. With X1, upstream (return) signal quality is every bit as important as upstream (incoming). A crystal clear signal path back and forth with the Comcast network is imperative.

As I just mentioned in this thread, X1 boxes require nearly perfect signals and tech visits to get things right is COMMON.

Broken record speaking once again... the ONLY person that can test all critical X1 is a Comcast tech. If you haven't had a Comcast tech out to your house, you don't now for sure if your X1 installation is OK.

Trust me. I have had over three years of nearly perfect X1 service along with 235mbps internet service. Why? because I have a nearly perfect connection to the Comcast network, both incoming and outgoing.

lysdexic wrote:

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 9 of 10

Your post was removed to a secure location for a violation of Forum Guidelines [circumventing the language filters]. If you are not familiar with our Guidelines you may review them here.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 10 of 10