Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

X1 DVR recording episodes not marked repeat or new

ANSWERED
Contributor

X1 DVR recording episodes not marked repeat or new

My X1 DVR has been recording episodes that are NOT marked “repeat” or “new” despite the TV series setting “New Episodes Only”.

I’ve cancelled the TV series and set the TV series back up but the unmarked episodes still show up on my Scheduled section.

It’s annoying because I have to manually go in and cancel the episodes so they won’t be recorded.

It seems to only happen to four Viacom (MTV and Paramount Network) TV series I have set to record. I haven’t had this issue from any other networks though. Only Viacom.

Is this an issue on Viacom (content provider) side or Comcast?

Thanks.
Accepted Solution

Re: X1 DVR recording episodes not marked repeat or new

@bruistopher wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@bruistopher wrote:
Help? Anyone?

The problem still persists till this day.

Should I call in the issue or?

if the recording is not marked repeat nor new then it is recorded. Are you getting other channel's recordings are unwanted?

Thanks for the reply!

This is what I see for example:

MFQ72vxl

Note in the photo above. There is no mention of what season or episode this future recording is scheduled to do. It's extremely annoying since they aren't labeled so I'm not sure if the episode is old, new or a repeat. And you see I have the recordings set to channel 884 MTVHD not to any other channels.

Hope this helps.

The issue is caused by the supplier who provides channel information to Comcast/Xfinity.  Comcast has no control over their data; if they leave out the information, tjhere is no way Comcast can add it.

View answer in context
Contributor

Help? Anyone?

Service Expert

@bruistopher wrote:
Help? Anyone?

if the recording is not marked repeat nor new then it is recorded. Are you getting other channel's recordings are unwanted?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@bruistopher wrote:
Help? Anyone?

Thanks for the reply!

MFQ72vxl

Note in the photo above. There is no mention of what season or episode this future recording is scheduled to do. It's extremely annoying since they aren't labeled so I'm not sure if the episode is old, new or a repeat. And you see I have the recordings set to channel 884 MTVHD not to any other channels.

Hope this helps.

Service Expert

@bruistopher wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@bruistopher wrote:
Help? Anyone?

Thanks for the reply!

MFQ72vxl

Hope this helps.

The issue is caused by the supplier who provides channel information to Comcast/Xfinity.  Comcast has no control over their data; if they leave out the information, tjhere is no way Comcast can add it.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

@bruistopher wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@bruistopher wrote:
Help? Anyone?

Thanks for the reply!

Hope this helps.

the picture seems to show that the 'grid' provider was not given the episode details so you have the series info instead of episode highlights etc. no way for the DVR to know so in essense the show is recorded so you can determine if it is needed.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Thanks for the replies, RobertWy and Rustyben. I understand now. Thanks for the explanation.

I randomly was looking at my future recordings and saw that was shocked. Because if I didn’t I would have had 8 of those episodes recorded, hogging up storage and would not know the episode details be in new or old.

But I got it now and it makes sense what you both responded with Smiley Happy

Regular Visitor

I suffer the same terrible customer experience of unwanted recordings showing up in my recording schedule.  Every ten days or so I have to DELETE 50 or more recordings that have a program's generic description and therefore do not state repeat or new implicitly.  While Comcast may have no control over the description provided, my suspicion is they do have control over the search criteria to build the recording schedule.  My observation is that the search criteria looks for the "repeat" indicator, and absent that, adds the show to the recording technology.  This is simple technology, folks.  If the search criteria instead looked implicitly for the "new" indicator, it would provide a much more satisfying customer experience.  I have seen some network shows initially provide a generic description, but within a week of airtime, they convert to "new".  These shows would get added to the schedule appropriately.  To me, this is just a matter of Comcast not considering the customer experience aspect of the situation and preferring to point the finger at something outside their control, instead of putting their best minds at solving an unacceptable customer experience situation by changing things within their control.

Service Expert

@dlufkin1 wrote:

I suffer the same terrible customer experience of unwanted recordings showing up in my recording schedule.  Every ten days or so I have to DELETE 50 or more recordings that have a program's generic description and therefore do not state repeat or new implicitly.  While Comcast may have no control over the description provided, my suspicion is they do have control over the search criteria to build the recording schedule.  My observation is that the search criteria looks for the "repeat" indicator, and absent that, adds the show to the recording technology.  This is simple technology, folks.  If the search criteria instead looked implicitly for the "new" indicator, it would provide a much more satisfying customer experience.  I have seen some network shows initially provide a generic description, but within a week of airtime, they convert to "new".  These shows would get added to the schedule appropriately.  To me, this is just a matter of Comcast not considering the customer experience aspect of the situation and preferring to point the finger at something outside their control, instead of putting their best minds at solving an unacceptable customer experience situation by changing things within their control.

series not marked 'new' will aways be recorded if the series exists on that channel.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

That is not really an answer...Obviously, that is the BAD customer experience received.  The point is that it doesn't HAVE to be the customer experience if Comcast cared at all to invest a tiny bit of time in adjusting they schedule building criteria.  However, it has been painstakingly pointed out time and again that Comcast/Xfinity cares not for the customer.

@Rustyben wrote:

@dlufkin1 wrote:

series not marked 'new' will aways be recorded if the series exists on that channel.

Service Expert

@dlufkin1 wrote:

That is not really an answer...Obviously, that is the BAD customer experience received.  The point is that it doesn't HAVE to be the customer experience if Comcast cared at all to invest a tiny bit of time in adjusting they schedule building criteria.  However, it has been painstakingly pointed out time and again that Comcast/Xfinity cares not for the customer.

@Rustyben wrote:

@dlufkin1 wrote:

the flip side of the discussion would be that it is better to be safe than sorry. easier to delete than wait for a possible rerun.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation