Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

X1 Cloud versus STB recordings: How can I tell the difference? Can I delete from Cloud but not STB?

SOLVED
Posted by
Contributor

Message 1 of 19

I have a single AR AX013ANM which I believe is the same as an Arris XG1v3. Tv.xfinity.com reports 71% full while the STB via the TV reports 13% full. (Quite a difference.) The technician who installed the X1 STB and customer service claim all storage is now in the cloud, not on the STB. Some people on the forum claim the storage is separate. So, how can I tell?

If I delete a recording from tv.xfinity.com, it is appears deleted on my STB. No matter whether I delete a program from tv.xfinity.com or the STB, it is listed ast "deleted from DVR" - there is no distinction.

If the cloud storage were separate from the STB, I would assume I could manage them separately and not have to rely on comcast's aging algorithm as to what to delete when the cloud is full but the STB isn't. My fear is that when the cloud is full, recorded programs will be deleted from the STB as well because either there is no separate storage or because they are kept in sync.

Does anyone know of a non-destructive test I can do to determine whether programs are actually save in the STB and are safe from comcast's clould full deletion algorithm?

Thanks in advance.

18 REPLIES
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2 of 19

FixService wrote:

I have a single AR AX013ANM which I believe is the same as an Arris XG1v3. Tv.xfinity.com reports 71% full while the STB via the TV reports 13% full. (Quite a difference.) The technician who installed the X1 STB and customer service claim all storage is now in the cloud, not on the STB. Some people on the forum claim the storage is separate. So, how can I tell?

If I delete a recording from tv.xfinity.com, it is appears deleted on my STB. No matter whether I delete a program from tv.xfinity.com or the STB, it is listed ast "deleted from DVR" - there is no distinction.

If the cloud storage were separate from the STB, I would assume I could manage them separately and not have to rely on comcast's aging algorithm as to what to delete when the cloud is full but the STB isn't. My fear is that when the cloud is full, recorded programs will be deleted from the STB as well because either there is no separate storage or because they are kept in sync.

Does anyone know of a non-destructive test I can do to determine whether programs are actually save in the STB and are safe from comcast's clould full deletion algorithm?

Thanks in advance.

the two 'devices' are separate in their storage. new recordings are made in both places, both devices delete older recordings if needed however if the scheduler deletes a recording asset on the cloud DVR is it not deleted from the home DVR(s). To see the cloud assets only use a steam app. the home DVRs see both their own recordings as well as cloud-only recordings (this can be caused by a power failure or replacement of home DVR). The cloud recordings made since June of 2016 are visible on the home DVR if the home DVR does not have a copy of that recording. You know you are watching a cloud DVR asset on an X1 set top by seeing the little cloud icon in the upper left corner of the playback screen (hit OK button while playing a recording when no only the video is on the screen). Since the cloud DVR is limited to 60 hours disregarding SD/HD type of recording, 30 hours of assets will show as 50%. on the home DVR the % is determined by dividing the space used by the SD and HD programs divided by the total available space on the hard drive. As such, it is easier to understand that there is no direct link of the percentage full numbers between the two devices.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 3 of 19

@RustyBen: thank you for your response. I'm a bit skeptical because installation the technician and subsequent customer service reps have told me all storage was in the cloud and that there was zero STB storage. That is why I was looking for a non-destructive test. I've not seen any cloud icons on our STB, but will try to look for one.

I use tv.xfinity.com on  an imac so I am not using the IOS stream App. I know the software is not the same - e.g. there is no way to change the series priority or download a recording to my desktop using tv.xfinity.com like I've been told there is for IOS devices.

When I use tv.xfinity.com, I'm sure I am viewing cloud storage, but it is disconcerting that deleting recordings from tv.xfinity.com deletes from the cloud and as well as my STB. If storage is indeed separate, it would be quite helpful to be able to delete a recording  just from the cloud or just from the STB. This is especially true because of the huge difference in storage (e.g. 71% versus 13% for the same recordings.) I am really not keen on waiting  to see what happens when our Cloud DVR gets full, but it seems to be my only choice.

I'm a long time, but not-so-happy Comcast customer.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 4 of 19

FixService wrote:

@RustyBen: thank you for your response. I'm a bit skeptical because installation the technician and subsequent customer service reps have told me all storage was in the cloud and that there was zero STB storage. That is why I was looking for a non-destructive test. I've not seen any cloud icons on our STB, but will try to look for one.

I use tv.xfinity.com on  an imac so I am not using the IOS stream App. I know the software is not the same - e.g. there is no way to change the series priority or download a recording to my desktop using tv.xfinity.com like I've been told there is for IOS devices.

When I use tv.xfinity.com, I'm sure I am viewing cloud storage, but it is disconcerting that deleting recordings from tv.xfinity.com deletes from the cloud and as well as my STB. If storage is indeed separate, it would be quite helpful to be able to delete a recording  just from the cloud or just from the STB. This is especially true because of the huge difference in storage (e.g. 71% versus 13% for the same recordings.) I am really not keen on waiting  to see what happens when our Cloud DVR gets full, but it seems to be my only choice.

I'm a long time, but not-so-happy Comcast customer.

I think you need to get up to a higher tier to figure this out. I can only see so much on my end but they can see more and deeper into the back end. But as a comparison the pictures I posted is what I see for you and what I see for my personal account, we have the same type of dvr. You'll notice mine shows dvr and cloud and yours shows just cloud.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
IMG_0239.PNG
IMG_0240.PNG
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 5 of 19

Check your private messages for additional information 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 6 of 19

@ComcastAndrew: Wow! Thank you so much for taking me seriously!!!!!!!!!! How did you you get those screen shots? I see no way to do that through xfinity.com or my STB.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 7 of 19

It's on one of the programs we have access to. Get in touch with the contact I gave you and hopefully they can figure it out.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 8 of 19

Someone from the "advance repair team" called me tonight. She claims:

• That we do indeed have physical storage on our DVR contrary to what the installation person and other customer service representatives previously told us.
  • Her tool shows Whole Home DVR storage for our device as well as cloud storage. 
  • The only way at this point we can tell that we actually have storage on our DVR is that the %full doesn't match between the cloud and our STB. We will have to wait to exceed our Cloud storage or some other event that would cause the Cloud Recordings be different than what is recorded on the STB.
  • There is no way to delete a recording from the Cloud and not the STB.

At this point I guess I will have to accept it as a matter of faith. Thanks to the comcast employee on the forum who successfully opened a ticket in a manner that caused someone to get back in touch with me.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 9 of 19

Hmmm. Just got a call from yet another person at Comcast. He claims that if a Comcast deletes a recording because our Clould DVR is full it will also be deleted from our physical DVR storage. In other words, the Cloud storage is a mirror of the DVR storage. Also, our %Full for our DVR and Cloud storage should be much closer. They should not be 77% for the cloud and 13% for the DVR. None of this was not what I was told on by the "advance repair team" on the 24th. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 10 of 19

FixService wrote:

Hmmm. Just got a call from yet another person at Comcast. He claims that if a Comcast deletes a recording because our Clould DVR is full it will also be deleted from our physical DVR storage. In other words, the Cloud storage is a mirror of the DVR storage. Also, our %Full for our DVR and Cloud storage should be much closer. They should not be 77% for the cloud and 13% for the DVR. None of this was not what I was told on by the "advance repair team" on the 24th. 

what you were told was wrong or misunderstood. the 'free' cloud DVR is limited and does delete the oldest recordings as needed to record new recordings but that does not affect your home DVR. The Home DVR scheduler handles deletions on the home DVR when needed.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 11 of 19

@ComcastAndrew: Yesterday our AR AX013ANM was replaced with a PA PX013ANM. The technician who came to check the STB and all cables said our AR AX013ANM did not have an internal hard drive while the PA PX013ANM does. We did not crack the boxes open, but the PA PX013ANM is definitely heavier and you can see the internal hard drive through side whereas the AR AX013ANM is lighter and no hard drive is visible. Even if recordings were saved onto the AR AX013ANM, the PA PX013ANM definitely doesn't have them.

At the moment we have 30 total recordings:

• 30 are in cloud storage consisting of 51 hours out of 60 hours for 85% Full
  • 2 are theoretically in STB only storage consisting of 3 SD hours out of a max of 300 SD hours on a 500gb drive for 1% Full (I say theoretically because I think the %Full is calculated by software and not read from the STB. Recall the AX013ANM should a % Full read out despite not having a hard drive. )

No signal issues should be impacting our X1 service. 

Any chance you can run your test again? I'd be curious to know whether you see Cloud versus Whole Home. (Recall on 7/24 a tier 3 rep said she could see both Cloud and Home Home for us, but on 8/1 another rep reported we just had Cloud storage.) Thanks much in advance.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 12 of 19

FixService wrote:

@ComcastAndrew: Yesterday our AR AX013ANM was replaced with a PA PX013ANM. The technician who came to check the STB and all cables said our AR AX013ANM did not have an internal hard drive while the PA PX013ANM does. We did not crack the boxes open, but the PA PX013ANM is definitely heavier and you can see the internal hard drive through side whereas the AR AX013ANM is lighter and no hard drive is visible. Even if recordings were saved onto the AR AX013ANM, the PA PX013ANM definitely doesn't have them.

At the moment we have 30 total recordings:

• 30 are in cloud storage consisting of 51 hours out of 60 hours for 85% Full
  • 2 are theoretically in STB only storage consisting of 3 SD hours out of a max of 300 SD hours on a 500gb drive for 1% Full (I say theoretically because I think the %Full is calculated by software and not read from the STB. Recall the AX013ANM should a % Full read out despite not having a hard drive. )

No signal issues should be impacting our X1 service. 

Any chance you can run your test again? I'd be curious to know whether you see Cloud versus Whole Home. (Recall on 7/24 a tier 3 rep said she could see both Cloud and Home Home for us, but on 8/1 another rep reported we just had Cloud storage.) Thanks much in advance.

all XG1 DVRs (like yours) all have a hard drive to store recordings locally. The companion set top boxes can access those 'assets' (recordings). there is a chart of features at http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-TV-Box-Comparison-DVR-vs-Non-DVR/td-p/2860183 (the last column is the newest version of DVR still in very limited release the XG!v4).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 13 of 19

Like I said above I have the same dvr as you, it's a solid state hard drive and super light. But there is an internal hard drive. I have a feeling yours was just failing. Here's the info that you requested.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
IMG_0258.PNG
Posted by
Contributor

Message 14 of 19

Rustyben: Your response it not at all helpful. I realize it is what you think, but both technicians who were at our home and examined the AR AX013ANM said it did not have an hard drive. Even if it did have a hard drive, several Comcast representatives that used a remote tool to "see" what was stored on in claimed no recordings were stored on it. Only one Comcast representative using a remote tool claimed there was a hard drive and that it was being used. She however, told me I would have to accept it on faith. We were also told by multiple sources that our cable signal had some problems that may have impacted our X1 service, including the way recordings were handled.

I believe the PA PX013ANM does indeed have a hard drive, but would like some confirmation that it is indeed being used. ComcastAndrew was kind enough to run a tool earlier and now kindly has done so again. 

The main purpose of my post was to find a way to see what is stored in the cloud versus what is stored on the DVR. I should not have to take it on faith or wait until my cloud storage is exceeded to see what actually happens. I have no reason to believe what you tell me.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 15 of 19

ComcastAndrew: Thank you very much. This tool should be made available to customers. It would save everyone much confusion, time and grief.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 16 of 19

FixService wrote:

Rustyben: Your response it not at all helpful. I realize it is what you think, but both technicians who were at our home and examined the AR AX013ANM said it did not have an hard drive. Even if it did have a hard drive, several Comcast representatives that used a remote tool to "see" what was stored on in claimed no recordings were stored on it. Only one Comcast representative using a remote tool claimed there was a hard drive and that it was being used. She however, told me I would have to accept it on faith. We were also told by multiple sources that our cable signal had some problems that may have impacted our X1 service, including the way recordings were handled.

I believe the PA PX013ANM does indeed have a hard drive, but would like some confirmation that it is indeed being used. ComcastAndrew was kind enough to run a tool earlier and I was hoping he would do so again. 

The main purpose of my post was to find a way to see what is stored in the cloud versus what is stored on the DVR. I should not have to take it on faith or wait until my cloud storage is exceeded to see what actually happens. I have no reason to believe what you tell me.

The comcast OE just pasted information on your hard drive that is in the PX013 set top box.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 17 of 19

@RustyBen: Again, your response is not helpful. I can read and had already thanked ComcastAndrew for his post.

Highlighted
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 18 of 19

FixService wrote:

ComcastAndrew: Thank you very much. This tool should be made available to customers. It would save everyone much confusion, time and grief.

That's a good idea. If you ever get the chance, on the Stream TV website, there's a little feedback area, I would leave it there. I'll pass it up on my end.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 19 of 19
Solution

I sent Customer Care  some questions about X1 service including the suggestion to provide a tool so customers could more easier monitor Cloud versus STB storage. The response was:

"In areas that have Cloud DVR capability, most DVR's do not have internal storage and we do not guarantee the internal storage will continue to work in cloud areas."

Hence, it is a mute point to try to understand how Cloud versus STB storage work since all that is guaranteed is 50 hours of Cloud Storage.  (Note the link does does differentiate Cloud versus STB as to where the 50hours of storage is allocated.)

Thus, my question is answered though not happily so I'll maark this topic "solved." See X1 Service Does Not Guarantee Internal DVR Storage if Cloud DVR Available should you wish to follow-up on the lack of commitment to providing STB storage or X1 Service: Customer Care Doesn't Care for the complete response I got to my questions about X1 service.