Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

X1 Box stuck on Select Your Language screen

New Poster

X1 Box stuck on Select Your Language screen

I'm doing a self setup of a new X1 set top TV box and after it powers up I get stuck on the "Select Your Language" screen where the remote doesn't allow me to actually select my language.  The remote doesn't seem to do anything with this TV.

I chatted with support for 2 hours and didn't resolve my problem.  Here's the things I've tried unsuccessfully.

-  Held setup on the remote till green light and then entered 981.   

-  Did the same but entered 987 instead.

-  Factory reset the remote

-  Powered off the new box and removed cable.  Then reattached and powered up.

-  Issued a system reset to the box.

-  Tried the first 3 steps above with the old working remote.

Both remotes that I tried are XR11 remotes.

I've seen others on the forums get this resolved but I have yet to.  Help please!

Brad

Accepted Solutions
New Poster

Re: X1 Box stuck on Select Your Language screen

So I got this resolved but not sure exactly what fixed it.  My setup has the set top box in a different room than the TV and originally the remote was not able to reach the set top box (not sure why).   I inadvertantly went to the set top box and used the remote there and it worked.  (Not sure if the remote uses IR or not).   But then I got through the setup and after I paired the remote to the set top box then the remote worked from the room with the TV in it.

So maybe until you pair the remote to the box, the remote needs to be close to the box and maybe pointed at it(?).

All Replies
New Poster

So I got this resolved but not sure exactly what fixed it.  My setup has the set top box in a different room than the TV and originally the remote was not able to reach the set top box (not sure why).   I inadvertantly went to the set top box and used the remote there and it worked.  (Not sure if the remote uses IR or not).   But then I got through the setup and after I paired the remote to the set top box then the remote worked from the room with the TV in it.

So maybe until you pair the remote to the box, the remote needs to be close to the box and maybe pointed at it(?).

Official Employee

I'd probably swap the box.
New Poster

Mine seems to be fine right now.

But I'm curious, if you know the answer to this.  When I get a new set top box with a new remote, plug it in and start setup, how does the remote (XR11) communicate with the box since it's not paired yet?  Does it use IR or wireless?  If it's using wireless, then when I have multiple set top boxes, why is it not operating those boxes?  Mine acted like it was using IR but I don't see an IR receiver on the box.

Thanks

Brad

Problem Solver

mccarbc wrote:

Mine seems to be fine right now.

But I'm curious, if you know the answer to this.  When I get a new set top box with a new remote, plug it in and start setup, how does the remote (XR11) communicate with the box since it's not paired yet?  Does it use IR or wireless?  If it's using wireless, then when I have multiple set top boxes, why is it not operating those boxes?  Mine acted like it was using IR but I don't see an IR receiver on the box.

Thanks

Brad

Here is a link to a message showing IR locations on all X1 boxes.

New Poster

Thanks! That thread answers my question.

New Poster

Thank you so much for your post here. I'd spent an hour on the phone with support trying to get my remote to work. Finally they said they had escalated it, and would call me back within half an hour. (They never called back). I'd already spent another hour on the phone earlier with a different tech over a defective box, which is what caused the remote issue. But while I was waiting for their non-existent callback, I found your post. The Setup and then 981 thing worked for me. I got past the language screen and was able to use the old remote with the new box. Thanks!

New Poster

THANK YOU!!! This solved my issue. I think that the remotes will always talk to the set-top boxes via IR, so even though I couldn't set up my xr11 remote until after the set-top box finished setup, it would communicate to the box over IR if I held the remote close enough. As soon as the set-top box finished setup I was able to pair my remote the normal way. Great find!

New Poster

OMG the exact same thing happened to me. I spent all morning with Xfinity over 2 hours and nothing was working. After reading this pots, I put the remote 2 inches from the box and it worked! They have no idea what their doing. Thanks for this posting.