Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

X1 Box Keeps Freezing Up

New Poster

X1 Box Keeps Freezing Up

X1 Box Keeps Freezing Up. I can't watch a full program an hour without it freezing up. Each time I'll have to unplug the box, wait 30 sec, then plug back. Sometimes I repeat this process 3x before program comes back on. Is there a permanent solution to this? Each time I call tech support, an automated message says Comcast is working on. I never get a live person.
Service Expert

Re: X1 Box Keeps Freezing Up

Say agent until you get one.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

We've had the same problem for a week. Tech came on Thurs and replaced X1 box and power source, problems persist. Now we have to wait a few more days for someone to come check "the outside lines." But this whole time our set top box has worked perfectly, so I don't understand how it can be the lines? I've spent almost 2 hours on the phone and still no solution. 

Service Expert

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I am having the same issue with my XG1v4 and a companion box. Picture will freeze and then the box resets itself. It’s a daily occurrence and sometimes multiple times a day.
Official Employee

Hello @ChuksEmmanuel. If you are still experiencing trouble with your X1 cable service, I can help troubleshoot this. I can also schedule a technician visit if need be, to get your service working properly. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist you. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Is there any solution? The freezing becomes more and more ridiculous everyday. Now we are getting the rainbow screen. Please help.
Service Expert

Lseg810 wrote:
Is there any solution? The freezing becomes more and more ridiculous everyday. Now we are getting the rainbow screen. Please help.

Hi, could you look at and follow the directions in the post just before your post (from the Comcast Official Employee).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

Hi Lseg810, I can assist you with getting your X1 cable box to function properly. Please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me".

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

We have been having this problem for quite some time. Seems like every hour or so it just freezes. However we also have regular cable boxes on other TV’s and they never have priblems. Very frustrating considering what my monthy cable bill is. Been talking with my neighbors who have Verizon and they say they never have issues. Seriously considering switching..
New Poster

I have the same problem and from I see so do many, many others. I also have problems with internet which stops working (buffers for long period of time) until I fix the problem with the tv freezing up. THE ABSOLUTE WORST SERVICE I HAVE EVER HAD and I’ve had other service providers ie... AT&T U-verse, Dish ect... My contract is up the end of this month, April 2018, and I AM DEFINITELY DROPPING THEM. All these problems and that’s not to mention that they damaged my tv when they came to install everything 2 years ago (large, thick grey line going across tv screen). They refused to compensate me and my attorney told me it will cost more to sue than to just buy another tv. I agree. I work with the public in a customer service position and I tell everyone stay away from Xfinity. Good luck
Frequent Visitor

Is there a soulution to this issue without private messaging a specific tech?  I’ve had a tech come to my home to ‘fix’ this issue and nothing at all has changed (except the $70 charge I received.  Grateful I was able to get that credited back!).  I have tried every available support option Comcast offers to no avail.  My issue is different than the others posted here.  I’m on my third XG1 4K box and they all lock up when the TV is turned off.  Since January that only happened over night.  Since the latest update, it happens every time I turn the TV off.  To watch anything again the XG1 box must be unplugged and restarted.  Waiting 10-15 minutes each time I want to watch something is simply ridiculous when my Comcast bill is more than a car payment each month!  I’m very grateful to anyone here who can help me since Comcast is not able to do so...

Frequent Visitor

Hello Rustyben, is there any help you can post publicly, as you signature suggests, so that we all might benefit from it?

Admin1

Hi fvidot & srfitt -- What does the box do once the TV is turned back on? Does it display an image that's frozen? Is it completely unresponsive? 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

My screen is just black.  No error mesages, no frozen screen shot, just black.  There is nothing I can do with the remote or with the box to make anything happen or show other than the black screen until I reboot the box.  Once I do that I have no problems at all.  It works beautifully until I turn the tv off again...

New Poster

What was the solution to your problem? I'm having the same issue with the XG1 box.
Service Expert

@TMan2 wrote:
What was the solution to your problem? I'm having the same issue with the XG1 box.

scroll back a few posts to the one by @ComcastZach - would you respond with answers to his questions please?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

HI,SALAMANDER1 HERE, I HOPE I CAN HELP.I BELIEVE THAT YOU ARE HAVING CONNECTIVITY PROBLEMS. YOUR EVIDENCE OF HAVING TO REBOOT CONSTANTLY USUALLY MEANS THAT YOU ARE LOSING SIGNAL & STRENGTH. I HAVE SIMILAR ISSUES. A TECH CAME 2 YEARS AGO & REPLACED AN OLD LINE, WE HAVE UNDERGROUND LINES. HE LEFT THE ABOVE GROUND JUNCTION BOX OPEN, EXPOSEING ALL CONNECTION TO RAIN, I LIVE IN MASS. CRANBERRY COUNTRY, VERY WET. I WAS HAVING SCREEN FREEZE. WENT OUTSIDE & CLEANED OUT & CLOSED BOX, & NOW EVERYTHING`S OK. THE TECH`S HAVE A METER/SCAN TOOL THAT CHECKS SIGNAL STRENGTH. REMBER THE OLD SAYING, ELECTRICITY TAKES THE SHORTEST PATH TO GROUND, SO IT CAN ALSO AFFECT SIGNAL & STRENGTH. IF IT`S AN OUTSIDE ISSUE, SHOULDN`T BE A CHARGE. MY EQUPT. IS XG1v4 SET TOP, NEW SAMSUNG 4K SMART UHD HDR TV RECIEVING @ 2160P, BEST AVAILABLE UNLESS USING TV APPS. SO MAYBE CHECK ALL CONNECTIONS IF YOU CAN. I HOPE THIS HELPS. SALAMANDER1

Regular Visitor

Did anyone get a fix? I have a 5000k OLED LG TV, X1 Service and Gigabit Internet with the 4K cable box...considering dumping the whole thing and trying FIOS.

Our 4K box freezes up everyday (sometime 3 or 4 times) same drill...picture freezes and box restarts. When you call Comcast tech line, it’s a waste of time...they just read a script...sorry your having a problem, did you resent your box...we can have a tech come out....

We have had (9) xfiniy techs come to house and check the signal strength, connections and spliters and say the same thing...”looks good to me”. Xfinity 4K box never freezes up when they are here.

Any help would be great.
Service Expert

@jetseller wrote:
Did anyone get a fix? I have a 5000k OLED LG TV, X1 Service and Gigabit Internet with the 4K cable box...considering dumping the whole thing and trying FIOS.

Our 4K box freezes up everyday (sometime 3 or 4 times) same drill...picture freezes and box restarts. When you call Comcast tech line, it’s a waste of time...they just read a script...sorry your having a problem, did you resent your box...we can have a tech come out....

We have had (9) xfiniy techs come to house and check the signal strength, connections and spliters and say the same thing...”looks good to me”. Xfinity 4K box never freezes up when they are here.

Any help would be great.

next time you have the problem call in to 800-Comcast and select TV. ask the agent to use their tool "internal troubleshooting guide" (einstein. The results should allow them to determine if it is a problem a home tech visit would fix.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Yes I have the same problem, freezing screen 2 3 times a day and web dropping. 

Frequent Visitor

I have not yet found a solution.  I can tell Comcast is working on it because it will not lockup a time or two after I turn off the TV - but then the next update puts it back to where it has always been.  There was one period of two days that the box did not lockup.  That has only happened that one time.  It is annoying to unplug the box EVERY time you want to watch something - then wait for it to reboot...

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats