Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

X1 Box Hacked - Anyone else?

Contributor

X1 Box Hacked - Anyone else?

Last week a Comcast Tech was out to address some picture quality issues, and he installed a new "filter" on my X1 box which he said was designed to prevent 3rd party access to the box. I didn't think much of it, until today - when I noticed two bizarre looking programs in my Recent History (which appears when pressing the "Last" button on the XR2 remote).

These shows, which I DEFINITELY did not watch (or even accidentally browse to) are on something called MeTV, and have names of KJWP and KJWPH, respectively.

Any thoughts about this? What's next - someone watching premium pay programming on my X1 Box?

Accepted Solutions
Contributor

SOLUTION - Re: X1 Box Hacked - Anyone else?

So, are you folks saying that my box could have just randomly switched to some legitimate (albeit obscure) channel while I was sleeping last night? I do recall the X1 having problems tuning to a particular channel once or twice during the last year, then arbitrarily switching itself to another (random) channel. I'm going to assume that's what happened for now - the idea of computer viruses and hackers impacting our cable TV boxes seems a bit too much for May, 2014. I'll give Comcast until 2015 before that becomes a commonplace phenomenon.

All Replies
Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Box Hacked - Anyone else?

Those names sound more like the station call letters, I would guess the H behind the one might indicate it is available in HD.

Looking up KJWP a search shows it being out of Wilmington. MeTV shows old 50s, 60s and 70s shows.

Problem Solver

MeTV is old school programming (ie M.A.S.H., etc.). KJWP is the General station for MeTV. KJWPh is the Alternative channel. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KJWP
Contributor

SOLUTION - Re: X1 Box Hacked - Anyone else?

So, are you folks saying that my box could have just randomly switched to some legitimate (albeit obscure) channel while I was sleeping last night? I do recall the X1 having problems tuning to a particular channel once or twice during the last year, then arbitrarily switching itself to another (random) channel. I'm going to assume that's what happened for now - the idea of computer viruses and hackers impacting our cable TV boxes seems a bit too much for May, 2014. I'll give Comcast until 2015 before that becomes a commonplace phenomenon.
Problem Solver

Re: Question - Re: X1 Box Hacked - Anyone else?

Yes.  Especially if the system sent a screwed up EAS signal.

New Poster

The same thing happen to me. one morning I woke up a 5am and my box up stairs there were 3 lights blinking. that morning I turn on the tv down stairs and there are programs that were recorded!!! I called my husband at work and he said he didn"t recorded anything! So I deleted the movies and the next thing i know something started to record before my eyes!!!! I could

n't believe it!! so I just deleted it. What is happening here?

Problem Solver

dottiedesi2 wrote:

The same thing happen to me. one morning I woke up a 5am and my box up stairs there were 3 lights blinking. that morning I turn on the tv down stairs and there are programs that were recorded!!! I called my husband at work and he said he didn"t recorded anything! So I deleted the movies and the next thing i know something started to record before my eyes!!!! I could

n't believe it!! so I just deleted it. What is happening here?

You need to call billing dept. It could very well be that the box was used in another home. Sometimes the boxes don't get scanned back in right and the old account from the other customer is linked to the box.

Valued Contributor

Re: SOLUTION - Re: X1 Box Hacked - Anyone else?

It is possible that the x1 could have tuned to those channels, it has been a previous glitch before, as long as you have the filter that the tech installed there should be no leakage going in or coming out of the box, so this would be more less software, since, then have you power cycled the box, pulling the power cord and letting it reset itself?