Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

X1 Boot Issues - IPST SiST errors, customer service nightmare

Frequent Visitor

X1 Boot Issues - IPST SiST errors, customer service nightmare

Hello, I'm hopeful this forum provides more useful than the 2 phone calls I've had today for ~1 hr, asking me if my X1 box is plugged in, replugging the cord, is the HDMI connected to the TV?.... the answer to all of these questions is YES! YES! YESSSSSS!!!!!! It's insulting, especially since I let the 2nd person know I was disconnected this morning right before they were going to have a technician come over and we went through the basic troubleshooting checklist. She then proceeded to take me through the same checklist... SMH. 

These people are not technical in any way and it would be a much better customer experience if when I call about a technical issue, I can actually get in touch with someone who understands how the product works. 

That said, let me please provide the details that I am hopeful a technician can help me solve. I'm hopeful this will save from having to send a technician to my house. I believe there is likely an issue with how my Internet is not correctly assigned to my new X1. 

When rebooting the box, the "boot" message comes up, along with the screen saying "Welcome", etc. Then the next message is on the box that reads "iP St" briefly, before moving "Si St" along with "Welcome to the X1 Platform"... this is when the screen will ultimately go completely blank and the box will then show the time, "7:04". Doesn't matter how many times you reboot the computer. 

Other data:

- Coax comes from the wall which was upgraded by a comcast technician when I moved in 10/13. It hits a splitter (also from a tech) that goes to the router and to the X1 box. All connections are wrench tightened.  

- I had a older digital cable box (RNG150N) prior to the X1. When speaking with the first representative this morning, the representative was confused because the right serial number on the X1 that was sent to me was not assigned to my cable service. She then assigned the correct serial number that was sent on my X1, (please PM me for details). 

- I'm assuming that my internet was not assigned to the proper X1, just as the problem presented above

***-> My guess is that there was a mix up with the first X1 that was supposed to come to me. Initially another X1 box was supposed to come to me but the representative helping me upgrade my service DELETED the shipment (08/10/15) and I had to call back last week to see what was taking so long. The new representative that helped me said she saw all the notes is system but that something got messed up and it was deleted. She then had to expedite another X1 unit be sent to me which I received on 10/05. This is where I think there were some things that weren't correctly assigned in the scramble. 

****^ note: the reason I had to call to get a box sent to me TWICE is because the FIRST time a representative sent me to a Comcast location that was not in service... not the wrong business hours, no longer in operations. I worked from home that day to take care of this chore and then had no X1 and another 30 minute call with customer service to explain. 

*****END TECHNICAL DETAILS****

OTHER ISSUES - there were other things promised to me by the person that helped me upgrade my service initially (then deleted everything in the system) that he said would be fixed upon upgrading my service to the X1. I know this is likely more appropriate for the billing forum but I'm only writing one note so that all the information is in the same place. 

1) I cancelled Showtime after my promotion period which has now been over a month ago. My bill has not this in my account. 

2) Upon signing up for the X1, I was told that my bill would be reduced to the price I was paying for my tripple play bundle as of June ($142.04). This also hasn't been updated in my account. 

3) I was told that I would receive HBO and Streampix for free for the next 12 months following the start of my service using the X1 operating system. It's taken over a month now just to get me my X1 and I still haven't had a chance to use it. I'm hopeful the timer isn't now showing 11 months for these promotions 

The reason I took the time to write all of this is because I'm hopeful that Comcast still values me as a customer. I value the services I receive form Comcast and I pay a large portion of my monthly take home income for these services. That said, if I'm not valued, I can't continue in good faith to hand over my hard earned money and will seek other options for internet and entertainment. Please help me find a reasonable solution to these issues.

Sincerely, 
Chris Haener

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Boot Issues - IPST SiST errors, customer service nightmare

It apears "Njshah1" had a similar conversation with "ComcastPhill" on May 17. The technician wasn't able to solve the problem. Phil suggested it was part of a boot up (IP acquisition) process and can either be a signal issue and/or assignment issue.

Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

The LED display of the box does not show error codes, the TV screen does. You need to post the error that you are getting, usually starting with RDK or XRE, that appears on the TV screen.

You can try pressing the EXIT button 3x then 480, 720, or 1080, which will change the screen resolution, or press the power button to turn on the box.

Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately the only time the actual error message came up was this morning, it also said to call comcast and they'd "take care of it". Based on your notes, potentially that error message was addressed when she reassigned the code. If I recall, it started with "XRE". I gave it to the first person I spoke with this morning around 7:55am. I'm hopeful that it will be captured in the notes associated with my profile. 

The furthest I've been able to get the system to start up is all the way to "XFINITY TV system check".... then it will freeze eventually... and will be a blank black/blue screen. I haven't been able to get any more codes. Pressing the exit button on the remote doesn't do anything but make the green LED light on the box light up.

Gold Problem Solver

Sounds like the box is bad. Have a Comcast tech replace it. If the box is bad the service visit should not cost you anything.

They can recheck your signals at the same time.

chaener wrote:

Unfortunately the only time the actual error message came up was this morning, it also said to call comcast and they'd "take care of it". Based on your notes, potentially that error message was addressed when she reassigned the code. If I recall, it started with "XRE". I gave it to the first person I spoke with this morning around 7:55am. I'm hopeful that it will be caputred in the notes associated with my profile. 

The furtherst I've been able to get the system to start up is all the way to "XFINITY TV sytem check".... then it will freeze eventually... and will be a blank black/blue screen. I haven't been able to get any more codes. Pressing the exit button on the remote doesn't do anything but make the green LED light on the box light up.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the prompt response.

Expert

chaener wrote:

Thanks for the prompt response.

if you have a spare short coax connector and a coax input on your TV, you might want to connect the 'to TV' coax on the set top box to the 'antenna in' coax connector on your tv. using tv menu (not xfinity menu) change input source to coax and then see what is on the screen (won't be in HD) and try a reboot of the X1 set top box. The coax is always 'live' and you may be able to see more in the boot process that you can then report back to this thread. it is possible to post screen shots of your TV to this thread too (icon looks like a photo with a mountain to attach photo).

Frequent Visitor

Will try after work again and post back. Thanks for the troubleshooting tips.