Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

X1- Audio drop out/hiccups

Contributor

X1- Audio drop out/hiccups

For the past few weeks I've been having an issue with the audio dropping out for a second or two.  This happens on both recorded shows and live.  If I rewind and play again the sound is fine where it cut out previously.  

I have my X1 box connected through HDMI to a Sony receiver which then is connected by HDMI to my TV.  I have also tried an optical cable but have the same issue.  I have tested the AV Receiver by checking other sources and it is functioning properly.  The sound issue only occurs from the Comcast X1 box.

I have seen some other threads talk about this issue and it might be a handshake problem from the X1 box to the receiver, but never saw a solution to the problem.

Thanks for any help.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1- Audio drop out/hiccups

aaronw84 wrote:

For the past few weeks I've been having an issue with the audio dropping out for a second or two.  This happens on both recorded shows and live.  If I rewind and play again the sound is fine where it cut out previously.  

I have my X1 box connected through HDMI to a Sony receiver which then is connected by HDMI to my TV.  I have also tried an optical cable but have the same issue.  I have tested the AV Receiver by checking other sources and it is functioning properly.  The sound issue only occurs from the Comcast X1 box.

I have seen some other threads talk about this issue and it might be a handshake problem from the X1 box to the receiver, but never saw a solution to the problem.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for verifying that HDMI and Optical for sound both have the same audio dropout issue.

Since many people are having this same issue with different setups and different receivers - the one conclusion I have is that is not a problem with our equipment or setup - but a problem Comcast neds to fix.

You are right though- I haven't seen a soultion or work around to get it to work properly - anyone?

Gold Problem Solver

This is a well known problem that has been discussed here many times. I am 99% convinced it will take a firmware update to fix this. We need to get used to it until then.

Frequent Visitor

RickGr4 wrote:

This is a well known problem that has been discussed here many times. I am 99% convinced it will take a firmware update to fix this. We need to get used to it until then.

I hope you are right (and tend to agree). Our best chance to get it fixed would be a firmware update (software). If it turns out to be a bad component in the X1 box itself (hardware) it could be a nightmare for them to upgrade everyone.

Contributor

Has Comcast responded to any of the other topics stating this issue or at least acknowledging that it is a problem and are looking into it?

Whenever I call Customer Care they insist it's the box or to have a technician to come out.  I don't see how they can help or how many times I can "tighten the connections" to the box..

Frequent Visitor

I am also having a problem with the x1 box audio dropouts and I am using the optical out on the x1 going to my Sony receiver and I wonder if comcast will ever address this issue.
Contributor

I brought up this problem to their tech when he was in my house.  He suggested new cables.  Will Comcast reimburse me for the cables I've purchased trying to diagnose their problem?

Gold Problem Solver

Hey everyone,

It's not your cables even though TOSLINK cables are notoriously very fragile. There's nothing wrong with trying different TOSLINK cables.

The problem is the Pace built X1 DVR box (green power button). It needs a firmware update. About two months ago, I was able to get my hands on an Arris built X1 DVR (blue power light).

The Arris built box DOES NOT have the audio drop outs, at least in my case.

Contributor

Are you saying that Comcast has fixed the problem in the Pace box and won't release the firmware update?  If so, how do we get it?  They normally release updates silently.  Is there a way we can ask for it?

Gold Problem Solver

I am saying they have NOT fixed the Pace box. The solution to the audio drop out issue to switch to the Arris made box.

You can call in and request one but the people in the warehouses don't see those requests. I got lucky. The Arris made box is better in many regards, not just the audio drop out issue. The picture quality is better and it responds faster to the remote.

Contributor

Thanks Rick.  I will try to ask for the other box, but X1 is scarce in my area (Central NJ) so I was lucky to get it at all.  On a side note, it would be nice if Comcast participated in these forums and clued us in to the development timeline for these problems.

Gold Problem Solver

Thats the reason why I haven't said much about the Arris box. I highly doubt there is anywhere near enough to go around.

If I have learned anything about bigs companies, most people simply don't know and those that do know can't say. I have learned to expect minimal and token participation from Comcast.

Imagine how much better things would be with X1 if Comcast had consulted with audio/video professionals during the initial design phase of X1. We would have caught most of the mistakes...

MidnightDad wrote:

Thanks Rick.  I will try to ask for the other box, but X1 is scarce in my area (Central NJ) so I was lucky to get it at all.  On a side note, it would be nice if Comcast participated in these forums and clued us in to the development timeline for these problems.

Contributor

Thank you, Rick. I will contact Comcast and see what I can get.
Regular Contributor

I have the same problem.  I was told by a technician that was out to fix another problem (that's still not fixed) that they are aware of that being a problem in my area and they are working on it.  So bad news, if they don't know that this is a system wide problem (I'm guessing you don't live down the street from me), what are the odds that they will figure out how to fix it?

Also, Rick, I have the Arris box, so I don't think it's just Pace boxes.

Gold Problem Solver

I have always said these problems can can be market specific but in MY CASE the Arris box solved the audio drop out problem and it was the only thing I changed at that time and I believe I eliminated all other variables before it was installed.

CoreyD, I have been in the audio video industry for over 30 years and I am well known for my troubleshooting abilities. I have forgotten more than most Comcast techs know. I still think the Arris box is the solution to the audio drop out issue and your problems lie elsewhere.  

Maybe you could provide more details about your situation and we might be able to help you figure things out.

Regular Contributor

Hi RickGr4,

I also have been suffering the Audio drop outs with the Pace X1 box ever since getting it first installed back in January 2013. I have mine hooked up to a Denon 1610 receiver. Anyway so when I read your updates about this issue and how the newer Arris box fixes these audio drop outs completely I got all excited and called up Comcast to have a tech come out this coming Monday to swap my Pace for the new Arris box. Assuming of course the tech actually has the Arris box with him. But now after heaing that CoreyD has the Arris box also and he is still getting the audio drop outs with the Arris has me worried again. Am I just wasting my time having the tech swap the Pace for the Arris? RickGr4 did you by chance try a few Pace boxes and did you get the audio drop outs with all of them? And also how long have you had the Arris box installed and are you saying you never once have had the audio drop out with it yet since it was installed?  Also are there any other benefits to having the Arris box over the Pace besides the possible audio drop outs being fixed?

Just yesterday while watching with my Pace X1 box I must have heard the audio drop out at least 10 times if not more. I hate this so much!! Smiley Sad

I will report back here after I hopefully get the Arris installed and let you know my results.

Gold Problem Solver

I have had only one Pace box. My audio drop out problems stopped IMMEDIATELY after installation of the Arris box. I have had an Arris box for about 10 weeks now.

No offense to CoreyD, but at this point I think his issues are elsewhere. Please remember these issues can vary across different markets. I have had my signal levels checked and I monitor them. I am using the PPC Evo1-5 u/u amp which has been called the "special amp for X1".

1. The Arris box fixes the audio drop out issue.

2. The Arris box has better picture quality in dark scenes and does not have the "after image" problem I previously noted.

3. The Arris box might have better sound quality. The bass might be slightly less boomy.

4. The Arris box responds to the remote faster, responds faster and changes channels faster.

On a slightly sour note, the Arris box seems to have an issue when you use the remote at close distances. I have already posted a solution that is working very will for me.

The only way you can get your hands on one at this point is simple luck... Sorry.

gate1975mlm wrote:

Hi RickGr4,

I also have been suffering the Audio drop outs with the Pace X1 box ever since getting it first installed back in January 2013. I have mine hooked up to a Denon 1610 receiver. Anyway so when I read your updates about this issue and how the newer Arris box fixes these audio drop outs completely I got all excited and called up Comcast to have a tech come out this coming Monday to swap my Pace for the new Arris box. Assuming of course the tech actually has the Arris box with him. But now after heaing that CoreyD has the Arris box also and he is still getting the audio drop outs with the Arris has me worried again. Am I just wasting my time having the tech swap the Pace for the Arris? RickGr4 did you by chance try a few Pace boxes and did you get the audio drop outs with all of them? And also how long have you had the Arris box installed and are you saying you never once have had the audio drop out with it yet since it was installed?  Also are there any other benefits to having the Arris box over the Pace besides the possible audio drop outs being fixed?

Just yesterday while watching with my Pace X1 box I must have heard the audio drop out at least 10 times if not more. I hate this so much!! Smiley Sad

I will report back here after I hopefully get the Arris installed and let you know my results.

Regular Contributor

As far as your remote issue as i understand it this is a non issue with the XR2 remotes correct?

Regular Contributor

Also has anyone else confirmed that the audio drop outs has been fixed with the Arris box other then RickGr4?

Gold Problem Solver

It IS an issue with the XR2... but only when you control the box from close distances.

Regular Contributor

How close we talking here? 

I mean like if I am watching tv in bed were box maybe only a few feet away am I going to have issues? And is this something that couldbe fixed with a software/firmware update?

This remote does not have to be pointed at the box to work so I am suprised about this strange issue.

Contributor

I'm not sure if this is related, but whenever I turn on my TV and receiver, it takes anywhere from 10 to 60 seconds for the sound to come on.  I have the X1 box feeding into an HDMI switch.  From the switch, I run HDMI for video to the TV and an optical cable to the receiver for audio.  The X1 box and HDMI switch are left on all the time.  Only the TV and receiver are switched off and on.  Is anyone else having this problem?

Gold Problem Solver

Thats weird but just for testing sake I would temporarily bypass your HDMI switch...

Valued Contributor

What I don't understand is why I have never had an audio drop out issue.  I have an HDMI connection to my TV and use the optical output from the TV as the input to my old SACD/DVD receiver.

Most Valued Poster

Consider yourself lucky.  I continue to get them in DD along with a static like pop sound when FF or RW finishes and the picture goes to normal play.  

Going to stereo eliminates the static popping noise and softens the dropouts, but the dropouts are there.

I am getting sick of it, I know that.  This is a well documented issue here and elsewhere that I am sure can be resolved with a firmware update.  Comcast needs to resolve this issue.  I know some claim to have resolved it by getting the newer Arris box or Pace box with the blue ring but that is really not an option for most of us. It is just not an easy thing to get done.  

Are you listening Comcast?  You claim you do.  Now do something. 

Cheers.  

Gold Problem Solver

They are louder in DD because the DD decoder is unlocking then relocking again...

The Arris made X1 DVR is the solution, at least it was in my case...

TiredRetired wrote:

Consider yourself lucky.  I continue to get them in DD along with a static like pop sound when FF or RW finishes and the picture goes to normal play.  

Going to stereo eliminates the static popping noise and softens the dropouts, but the dropouts are there.

I am getting sick of it, I know that.  This is a well documented issue here and elsewhere that I am sure can be resolved with a firmware update.  Comcast needs to resolve this issue.  I know some claim to have resolved it by getting the newer Arris box or Pace box with the blue ring but that is really not an option for most of us. It is just not an easy thing to get done.  

Are you listening Comcast?  You claim you do.  Now do something. 

Cheers.  

Frequent Visitor

I agree totally why does comcast ignore everyone.  Thay could at least say they are working on a solution.

Valued Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

They are louder in DD because the DD decoder is unlocking then relocking again...

The audio output of my Pace X1 DVR stays in Dolby Digital 5.1 continuously, so the DD 5.1 decoder in a connected receiver should never unlock.  With my previous Motorola box, the audio output switched from DD 5.1 to PCM during adds, causing the the DD decoder in my receiver to unlock during ads.

Gold Problem Solver

1. But we are talking about what happens when people are having problems with audio drop outs which I believe you have indicated you don't have a problem with. Because I had a Pace X1 DVR for three months, I can confirm when it is in DD 5.1 and a drop out occurs, it is harsh and noticeable. It would seem you are in a minority of people that have a Pace box and DON'T have audio drop outs.

2. I don't see how the Pace box could stay in DD 5.1 continuously and still properly decode everything it sees. I don't think that is the desired behavior. I think your receiver is switching back and forth between DD 5.1 and DD 2.0. When the audio switches to DD 2.0 your AV receiver probably switches to Dolby PL II. In fact I just checked on my brand new Marantz AV receiver and that appears to be what it is doing. That is what my 7 year old HK receiver did.

3. My new Marantz receiver appears to make the transition from DD 5.1 to DD 2.0 (therefore changing from DD to Dolby PL II) very smoothly. The casual listener may not detect it right away.

jehill wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

The audio output of my Pace X1 DVR stays in Dolby Digital 5.1 continuously, so the DD 5.1 decoder in a connected receiver should never unlock.  With my previous Motorola box, the audio output switched from DD 5.1 to PCM during adds, causing the the DD decoder in my receiver to unlock during ads.

Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

Thats weird but just for testing sake I would temporarily bypass your HDMI switch...

I tried that, but the problem persists.

Gold Problem Solver

Sounds like HDMI is struggling to lock. How long are your HDMI cables? Anything longer than 3 or 4 meter HDMI cables should probably be the thicker 24 gauge cables...

MidnightDad wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

Regular Contributor

"I don't see how the Pace box could stay in DD 5.1 continuously and still properly decode everything it sees. I don't think that is the desired behavior. I think your receiver is switching back and forth between DD 5.1 and DD 2.0. When the audio switches to DD 2.0 your AV receiver probably switches to Dolby PL II. In fact I just checked on my brand new Marantz AV receiver and that appears to be what it is doing. That is what my 7 year old HK receiver did."

I wish my receiver behaved that way.  Since getting the Pace X1 box, I am not longer able to get my Denon AVR-4311 to switch back and forth between DD 5.1 and DD 2.0.  The receiver stays "fixed" on DD 5.1 even if the source program is only DD 2.0.  I have no idea why it behave this way.  My old DCX-3400 box did not behave that way.  Both boxes are connected the same way "HDMI to 4311 to Panny plasma".

Bronze Problem Solver

Gov0525 wrote:

"I don't see how the Pace box could stay in DD 5.1 continuously and still properly decode everything it sees. I don't think that is the desired behavior. I think your receiver is switching back and forth between DD 5.1 and DD 2.0. When the audio switches to DD 2.0 your AV receiver probably switches to Dolby PL II. In fact I just checked on my brand new Marantz AV receiver and that appears to be what it is doing. That is what my 7 year old HK receiver did."

I wish my receiver behaved that way.  Since getting the Pace X1 box, I am not longer able to get my Denon AVR-4311 to switch back and forth between DD 5.1 and DD 2.0.  The receiver stays "fixed" on DD 5.1 even if the source program is only DD 2.0.  I have no idea why it behave this way.  My old DCX-3400 box did not behave that way.  Both boxes are connected the same way "HDMI to 4311 to Panny plasma".

I have my SONY receivers connected to my X1s with audio cables and the X1s direct to my Panny plasmas with HDMI.  No problems switching between DD's. 

Regular Contributor

I have no idea why it behaves this way.  I am not new to this HT stuff and know what I am doing, so it frustrates me even more!  I even tried an optical cable from the X1 to the 4311 and still no dice.

Frequent Visitor

I just posted in the other thread that was somewhat inactive, so will re-post here.

I am having the same audio drop-out issue but only on my home theater X1 box.

Brand new X1 DVR -- HDMI (AudioQuest) --> Marantz SR5007 --> HDMI (AudioQuest) --> Samsung 3D TV

Drop outs happening frequently but with no discernable pattern. Not experiencing any issues with the two other (smaller) X1 boxes hooked up directly to other TVs in the house via HDMI. Only difference is I changed the setting on the main one to output surround to the Marantz.

Is there a way to call in and request the Arris made DVR? I DREAD calling support, being bounced around for an hour and having to explain the problem 5-7 times unless there's a chance I can get someone who knows something and can get me an Arris box on the line.

Gold Problem Solver

Just another reason to ditch the Pace box. The behavior you are describing is not correct or desirable.

Not to sound like a broken record but I have been in the AV industry for over 30 years. I have had nothing but trouble with Pace made products in the past and the X1 DVR is just a continuation.

Gov0525 wrote:

Valued Contributor

Gov0525 wrote:

AhHA!  Someone else that has experienced the same phenomonum that I have!  Actually, it doesn't bother me a bit, but I understand your concern.  I never know when PCM sound is being received except based on my past experience, the output of the previous boxes that I had switched to PCM during ads as indicated by my receiver.  The surround sound indicator on my receiver is now lit continuously.  Do you live in the Philadelphia area?  It could be a corp preference.  In other words, switching to PCM during ads may occur in some regions, but not in others.  I believe that Comcast made the change deliberately in my area to eliminate the constant switching to PCM during ads.

Regular Contributor

I am in the NW burbs of Chicago.  I think this sucks because if a program is broadcasted in DD 2.0, I will get the dialogue in the L/R mains (not the CC).  I want my receiver to take that DD 2.0 signal from the Pace X1 box and be able to switch it Dolby Pro PL2 like I used to be able to do with the Motorola DCX-3400 box.  A true DD 5.1 signal works just fine and I have no issues.

I am sorry, but I cannot stand listening to dialogue coming out of the L/R main speakers when it could and should be the center channel.

Gold Problem Solver

Agreed. I wonder if this meets Dolby Labs approval. I highly doubt it is within spec. It just adds to the list of reasons I don't like Pace products.

Oh well, the Arris X1 box seems to have fixed this... among other things it fixes...

Gov0525 wrote:

I am in the NW burbs of Chicago.  I think this sucks because if a program is broadcasted in DD 2.0, I will get the dialogue in the L/R mains (not the CC).  I want my receiver to take that DD 2.0 signal from the Pace X1 box and be able to switch it Dolby Pro PL2 like I used to be able to do with the Motorola DCX-3400 box.  A true DD 5.1 signal works just fine and I have no issues.

I am sorry, but I cannot stand listening to dialogue coming out of the L/R main speakers when it could and should be the center channel.

Regular Contributor

Im gonna see if I can get my hands on an Arris box

Gold Problem Solver

Gov0525 wrote:

Im gonna see if I can get my hands on an Arris box

I have been very cautious what I say about the Arris box because there is not enough to go around and there is no way to request one.

I don't care if Comcast says the Pace box and the Arris box are built to the same spec. They aren't and the proof of what I am saying is the Arris box does not have component outputs. The Pace built X1 DVR is a POS. The Arris box solves many problems but Comcast can't afford to release that information because there is not enough Pace or Arris boxes to go around.

A message to all of my forum pals and buddies... X1 still needs a great deal of help but the Arris X1 DVR solves many of the problems we have been complaining about. Do whatever you can to get a hold of one...

Regular Contributor

Well other then the audio drop out issue being 100% fixed with my new Arris X1 boxn which I am super happy about considering Ihave had this issue since getting X1 back on January.25, 2013 Smiley Happy The rest of it has been a complete mess so far. Comcast is working on the issue and has a engineer working on it. But I have a bad feeling I may have to get another replacment box already. The whole UI is so sluggish and acting strange. My 2 Pace boxes are super fast and smooth with no issues like the Arris is having. Just one example with my Arris box lets say I reboot it and when it gets to "Connecting Step 3" that message is on for like almost 2 minutes before I can do i anything. And also when I first bring up the big guide after the reboot it takes like 1 minute for the channel logos and poster art to display. Both Output Resolution and Audio say N/A after a few minitues, Battery Level says "Unknown" and next to the "% Full" its says "Recordi..."   instead of "Recordings"  well that was more then one example lol but you get the idea this Arris box is nasty right now!

Just bad luck I guess Smiley Sad

@RickGr4  Your Arris X1 box is working fast and smooth as butter right?

Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

Sounds like HDMI is struggling to lock. How long are your HDMI cables? Anything longer than 3 or 4 meter HDMI cables should probably be the thicker 24 gauge cables...

MidnightDad wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

I plugged the optical cable directly from the X1 box to my receiver and still got the audio lag.

Gold Problem Solver

Other than I have been bouncing back and forth on XRE Server Versions for the past week, the Arris box continues to purr like a kitty. Yes my battery level shows as UNKNOWN but I really don't care. As most people know I despise the XR2 remote and mine are buried away. Mine does the CONNECTING thing as well but once again, I don't care.

I care much more about hardware and technical issues such as audio drop outs and picture quality issues. Features within the guide and things like the UNKNOWN battery issue don't bother me nearly as much. We are talking about X1 here. If I let things like the lack of a reminder system or the boxes only being able to display the clock but not the channel, I would have had a nervous breakdown by now. Considering the how slow the rate of improvements seems to be happening, I have serious reservations that X1 will ever be 100% right and live up to it's full potential.

gate1975mlm wrote:

Well other then the audio drop out issue being 100% fixed with my new Arris X1 boxn which I am super happy about considering Ihave had this issue since getting X1 back on January.25, 2013 Smiley Happy The rest of it has been a complete mess so far. Comcast is working on the issue and has a engineer working on it. But I have a bad feeling I may have to get another replacment box already. The whole UI is so sluggish and acting strange. My 2 Pace boxes are super fast and smooth with no issues like the Arris is having. Just one example with my Arris box lets say I reboot it and when it gets to "Connecting Step 3" that message is on for like almost 2 minutes before I can do i anything. And also when I first bring up the big guide after the reboot it takes like 1 minute for the channel logos and poster art to display. Both Output Resolution and Audio say N/A after a few minitues, Battery Level says "Unknown" and next to the "% Full" its says "Recordi..."   instead of "Recordings"  well that was more then one example lol but you get the idea this Arris box is nasty right now!

Just bad luck I guess Smiley Sad

@RickGr4  Your Arris X1 box is working fast and smooth as butter right?

Gold Problem Solver

I haven't read everything you have posted but that sure sounds like the only thing remaining that could be the problem is your X1 box... I'd have it swapped out.

MidnightDad wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

MidnightDad wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

I plugged the optical cable directly from the X1 box to my receiver and still got the audio lag.

Regular Contributor

@ RickGr4

Ok so would you say your Channel logos and poster art are slow appearing after a reboot? It kind of sounds to me like your Arris box is suffering all the same issues as mine. But obviously it does not seem to bother you nearly as much as me. My Pace boxes are way faster then the Arris and this is very disapointing. I am starting to wonder if the Arris has less powerful hardware which is causing the slow down?

Gold Problem Solver

No it's something else. I am guessing the Arris has better/faster hardware based on how fast it responds and changes channels. From what I understand the Arris box is roughly 6 to 12 months newer than the Pace box. I highly doubt they would go backwards in CPU speed or RAM.

Funny you would mention the slow loading poster art. I just noticed that this morning. I will pay more attention to that. Once again, I think the problem is elsewhere... I don't think it's hardware.

gate1975mlm wrote:

@ RickGr4

Ok so would you say your Channel logos and poster art are slow appearing after a reboot? It kind of sounds to me like your Arris box is suffering all the same issues as mine. But obviously it does not seem to bother you nearly as much as me. My Pace boxes are way faster then the Arris and this is very disapointing. I am starting to wonder if the Arris has less powerful hardware which is causing the slow down?

Regular Contributor

Well a Comcast engineer is looking into it so well see what happens.

Thanks for your info.

New Poster

The Arris box fixed my audio drop out problem. I just got the box 2 days ago and haven't noticed any other concerning issues.

Regular Contributor

stevenlois1 wrote:

The Arris box fixed my audio drop out problem. I just got the box 2 days ago and haven't noticed any other concerning issues.

You also do not have any issues with slowness/sluggishness as far as the UI goes on your Arris box?

I think I may have to already get a replacment for my Arris box.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats