Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

SOLVED
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 401 of 769
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 402 of 769

applehazar wrote:

Ok.  I take this email seriously. Surround sound DOES NOT WORK WITH X1 system. I HAVE NO CHOICE AS COMCAST WILL NOT LET ATT IN THe UNDERGROUND CONDUIT AND MICHIGAN POLITICS WILL JOT GET INVOLED.  COMCADT KNOWS THIS AND KNOWS I HAVE NO CHOICE.  THERE IS A. 😄k

Hmm.  X1 surround works for me.  I assume you are using an a/v receiver like me to send X1 surround to your surround system?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 403 of 769

I have three entirely different AV systems in my house and X1 surround sound works properly in all three...

Yes there are bugs. It could be better. But it does work.

applehazer, much has been written and discussed about X1 audio over the past year. There happens to be at least three current threads running in this forum that contain plenty of info about X1 audio.

PLEASE chillax and do some reading in this forum. You will find answers to your concerns.

applehazar wrote:

Ok.  I take this email seriously. Surround sound DOES NOT WORK WITH X1 system. I HAVE NO CHOICE AS COMCAST WILL NOT LET ATT IN THe UNDERGROUND CONDUIT AND MICHIGAN POLITICS WILL JOT GET INVOLED.  COMCADT KNOWS THIS AND KNOWS I HAVE NO CHOICE.  THERE IS A. 😄k

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 404 of 769

I am sort but none ha an answer to surround sound problem u

RickGr4 wrote:

I have three entirely different AV systems in my house and X1 surround sound works properly in all three...

Yes there are bugs. It could be better. But it does work.

applehazer, much has been written and discussed about X1 audio over the past year. There happens to be at least three current threads running in this forum that contain plenty of info about X1 audio.

PLEASE chillax and do some reading in this forum. You will find answers to your concerns.

applehazar wrote:

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 405 of 769

No answer world with X11 box. Sorry but no one has an answer only go back to magnovox box

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 406 of 769
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 407 of 769

What does a magnavox box have to do with X1 service?

What are you talking about? What are your specific issues? What kind of TV do you have? What is your audio system? How is your system connected?

We are happy to help you but you are going to need to be more clear and more specific...

applehazar wrote:

No answer world with X11 box. Sorry but no one has an answer only go back to magnovox box

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 408 of 769
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 409 of 769

If you are connecting the X1 box straight to your Onkyo receiver using HDMI, then going HDMI out from the Onkyo to your TV then the problem is your system and your settings. X1 boxes have correct surround output in that situation.

The fact that your old box worked could be meaningless. Sorry but I think this is more your issue and less of a Comcast or X1 issue...

You still haven't provided enough details for us to know for sure. Please provide the EXACT model numbers of your entire system.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 410 of 769

Hi Neal...You are very knowledgable, but my problem is not audio. My issue is display resolution.  The box will not stick on 1080p when I turn on the TV.  Picture comes on in 720 and I have to manually reset the box to 1080p.  My box HDMI goes through a Yamaha receiver which outputs to to a Sharp 4k TV.  Once I change the setting, it works fine until I turn off the TV.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 411 of 769

Neal.....one more question.  All this is very confusing to me.  Is there anyone, or firm, I can hire to come out and hook up a system that maximizes my viewing and sound experience?  I live in Marin County.  Thanks...

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 412 of 769

tripames wrote:

Hi Neal...You are very knowledgable, but my problem is not audio. My issue is display resolution.  The box will not stick on 1080p when I turn on the TV.  Picture comes on in 720 and I have to manually reset the box to 1080p.  My box HDMI goes through a Yamaha receiver which outputs to to a Sharp 4k TV.  Once I change the setting, it works fine until I turn off the TV.  

hi, another customer here. other threads have an answer by a comcast representative that said their aim is to fix the fall off 1080 to 720 problem by end of march. Unknown per the post if it is a firmware or XRE server change to fix the issue.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 10 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 413 of 769

ComcastNeal - any ideas on the loud squealling noise described above when on pause or fast forward when using 5.1?  Have you been able to confirm on your system that the X1 device drops into 2-channel mode while on pause and that this has to be understood somehow by the dac in the avr?

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 414 of 769

When I pause my Arris DVR, the audio output (over HDMI) changes to PCM 2.0. When that happens, my Marantz AVR switches to which ever non Dolby Digital surround mode (in this case Dolby PL II) I have it set to and then when I go back to play the audio from the X1 box changes back to DD 5.1 and my Marantz AVR almost instantly changes back to Dolby Digital.

When I use FF, my Arris DVR must be going into some sort of mute mode because my Marantz indicates an UNKNOWN audio format. Once I go back to normal play, DD 5.1 returns immediately.

Regardless of whether I return to play from either pause or FF, the process is seamless and happens so quickly that it is not noticeable. I do not hear any extraneous noises of any kind.

Lightminer wrote:

ComcastNeal - any ideas on the loud squealling noise described above when on pause or fast forward when using 5.1?  Have you been able to confirm on your system that the X1 device drops into 2-channel mode while on pause and that this has to be understood somehow by the dac in the avr?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 10 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 415 of 769

Rick - thanks.  That sounds exactly right.  The two options on the avr side are to use 'auto-mute' or to recognize the change and drop down to 2.0.  (Or, I guess to make a horrible high pitched noise!)

So this is an interface issue, where each company can point at the other.  It would be interestng to survey a bunch of avr's and see what the consensus is on that side.  I know Onkyo has the same issue as the Oppo from reading forums.  I'm also curious how the Oppo avr pre handles this, but it probably shares software so probably has the same issue.  If it didn't, then I could make a strong reasoned appeal for them to fix this on their side.

ComcastNeal, would you be interested in talking to Oppo?  As it is, I see that there will be no resolution as each side will just point to the other.  The avr people should agree to automute or drop to 2.0, or the set top box people need to agree to stay in 5.1 during mute and other operations.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 416 of 769

Oh, and I hope they will keep working on audio dropping out.  I thought for a while that it only happened on DVR shows, not on live TV, but it has happened a few times on live TV.  Maybe I was a few minutes back?  It certainly happens a ton more on recorded content vs live.  I'll keep looking for patterns if that helps troubleshoot.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 417 of 769

I'm having issues where the sound will be 5.1 and then it will revert to 2.0.  I'm running HDMI to a Denon receiver and from the receiver to the TV.  It seems to do it when I switch inputs back to cable from a Xbox One.  My receiver only 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output.  It might be losing 5.1 at other times but it's hard to tell.  I just will notice that the receiver will only show it is receiving 2.0 sound.  If I check the settings on the cable box, it is always set to surround.

This is on the master box.  Turning the box off and on with the button on the front fixes the issue.  That is annoying to have to do that every day so the sound works properly.  Hopefully there is a fix for the problem.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 418 of 769

X1 boxes will go back and forth between 5.1 and 2.0 (especially on commercials). It's normal and depends upon the programming and the channel. They will not be in DD 5.1 all of the time.

spdGT wrote:

I'm having issues where the sound will be 5.1 and then it will revert to 2.0.  I'm running HDMI to a Denon receiver and from the receiver to the TV.  It seems to do it when I switch inputs back to cable from a Xbox One.  My receiver only 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output.  It might be losing 5.1 at other times but it's hard to tell.  I just will notice that the receiver will only show it is receiving 2.0 sound.  If I check the settings on the cable box, it is always set to surround.

This is on the master box.  Turning the box off and on with the button on the front fixes the issue.  That is annoying to have to do that every day so the sound works properly.  Hopefully there is a fix for the problem.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 419 of 769

Whenever it goes to 2.0, it never goes back to 5.1 without me turning off the box.  I would notice that the NCAA tournament games would show as 2.0 on my receiver.  That seemed odd that CBS wouldn't be broadcasting the games in 5.1.  If I turned the box on and off, they would be back in 5.1.  It happens on other channels too.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 420 of 769

spdGT wrote:

Whenever it goes to 2.0, it never goes back to 5.1 without me turning off the box.  I would notice that the NCAA tournament games would show as 2.0 on my receiver.  That seemed odd that CBS wouldn't be broadcasting the games in 5.1.  If I turned the box on and off, they would be back in 5.1.  It happens on other channels too.

Mine has never done that.  What type of connections are you using?  Which a/v receiver do you have?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 421 of 769

Robert is right. We need specifics on your setup and your connections... EXACTLY which X1 box are you talking about???

Also, I should add that there is an encyclopedias worth of information about X1 and surround audio in this forum. Have you read any of that stuff and compared your situation to others from the past??

spdGT wrote:

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 422 of 769

If somone with a Denon can confirm the same behavior as the Marantz I can use that with Oppo.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 423 of 769

Long story short:

I have an old, non-remote pre-amp hooked up to the RCA audio out jacks on my new X1 box and XR5 remote.

I want the XR5 remote to control the "audio out" volume on the cable box so I don't have to get up every time I want to adjust the volume on my sound system. 

When I was at the Comcast store I expressed this to the counterpeson, who should me how the remote worked on his TV. He hit the volume buttom and a volume bar appeared on the bottom of the screen. He led me to believe this was the cable box volume, not the TV volume. 

How do I activate this on my box and remote?

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 424 of 769

X1 boxes have fixed volume output on all outputs and it appears there is no way to change this. Sorry but you are gonna need to come up with a different solution...

almico wrote:

Long story short:

I have an old, non-remote pre-amp hooked up to the RCA audio out jacks on my new X1 box and XR5 remote.

I want the XR5 remote to control the "audio out" volume on the cable box so I don't have to get up every time I want to adjust the volume on my sound system. 

When I was at the Comcast store I expressed this to the counterpeson, who should me how the remote worked on his TV. He hit the volume buttom and a volume bar appeared on the bottom of the screen. He led me to believe this was the cable box volume, not the TV volume. 

How do I activate this on my box and remote?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 425 of 769

Yep, back to the store to return it and get my old legacy box back. 

My annoyance is that I specifically asked the guy at the counter and he showed me that it DID work. There was definitely a volume scale on the bottom of the screen when he hit the volume selector. 

It's inexplicable why they would either eliminate or disable this feature in an "upgrade" box. I'm sure the Pace box has the hardware, it must be disabled in the firmware. 

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 426 of 769

I have had X1 service for 1.5 years and I have been a Comcast customer much longer than that. I am very fussy and knowledgeable about X1 audio issues.

I am not sure what you saw at the Comcast store but X1 boxes have NEVER had variable volume output. I am not saying it was you but somebody has their wires crossed here... Sorry but I don't think you saw what you thought you saw in the Comcast store.

X1 boxes have no user or tech accessible settings in the firmware...

almico wrote:

Yep, back to the store to return it and get my old legacy box back. 

My annoyance is that I specifically asked the guy at the counter and he showed me that it DID work. There was definately a volume scale on the bottom of the screen when he hit the volume selector. 

It's inexplicable why they would either eliminate or disable this feature in an "upgrade" box. I'm sure the Pace box has the hardware, it must be disabled in the firmware. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 427 of 769

I first got the X1 box when it first came out over 2 years ago. I returned it because of this issue and went back to the old technology.

So when I went to the store to switch my HD box for a DVR box, and the guy recommended X1, I immediately asked about the volume. It's likely he misunderstood and the volume bar I saw was the XR5 remote controlling the TV volume. I should have questioned further, but it seemed so weird that the box had a fixed volume, I assumed it must have been corrected in the past two years. Obvioulsy not. 

It's a shame because I take my audio very seriously. I have old school tube amps and preamps and Altec Lancing Voice of the Theater A5 speakers from the 60s. Modern HT systems sound dead in comparison. But I'm not willing to hack into my preamp to add a remote volume control. It's just not worth it. The X1 platform does not offer enough to bother. If it wasn't for SNY and MSG for Rangers and Mets games, I wouldn't even have a cable subscription any more. Movies sound much better through my computer and DAC. 

Speaking of which, why isn't the USB port on the Pace boxes enabled for audio output? That would solve both issues and I could use a DAC for much improved audio performance.

I'll just switch back again. 

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 428 of 769

As a retired audiophile, I feel your pain. With X1, Comcast went light years out of their way to dumb it down and take control away from users. Personally I think they went way too far. Your variable volume output probably caused too many service calls so Comcast dropped it from X1.

almico wrote:

I first got the X1 box when it first came out over 2 years ago. I returned it because to this issue and went back to the old technology.

So when I went to the store to sway my HD box for a DVR box, and the guy recommended X1, I immediately asked about the volume. It's likely he misunderstood and the volume bar I saw was the XR5 remote controlling the TV volume. I should have questioned further, but it seemed so weird that the box had a fixed volume, I assumed it must have been corrected in the past two years. Obvioulsy not. 

It's a shame because I take my audio very seriously. I have old school tube amps and preamps and Altec Lancing Voice of the Theater A5 speakers from the 60s. Modern HT systems sound dead in comparison. But I'm not willing to hack into my preamp to add a remote volume control. It's just not worth it. The X1 platform does not offer enough to bother. If it wasn't for SNY and MSG for Rangers and Mets games, I would even had a cable subscription any more. Movies sound much better through my computer and DAC. 

Speaking of which, why isn't the USB port on the Pace boxes enabled for audio output? That would solve both issues and I could use a DAC for much improved audio performance.

I'll just switch back again. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 429 of 769

Did you see the news today?  Arris bought Pace and basically cornered the market on set top boxes.

They bought Motorola last year now Pace....

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 430 of 769

Arris bought a certain division of Motorola not the entire company. I could be wrong but I suspect Motorola could swallow Arris in one bite if they really wanted to.

However this could be a good thing. I have been managing, selling and installing audio/video products for over 30 years and I have learned some hard lessons. One of those lessons is not to trust Pace products. I have had nothing but trouble with them.

Sayonara Pace...

zippychimp wrote:

Did you see the news today?  Arris bought Pace and basically cornered the market on set top boxes.

They bought Motorola last year now Pace....

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 431 of 769

Yes, I believe it was Motorola Home (or the set top division) they purchased last year.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 432 of 769

hi all,  A few weeks ago I switched from an X1 Arris greenie to a new Pace XG1 v3 blue light STB when my old Arris would no-longer power on.   Since the switch, surround sound can no longer be selected (stereo only now!), and I am receiving the brief audio drop outs described elsewhere on this post.

The rest of my equipment is the same as used with the Arris, connected the same way, with the same cables.

• LG LCD TV connected to the STB via HDMI
  • Yamaha receiver connected via Optical.  The receiver is older so it does not have HDMI in/out ports.   
  • TV configured as "Audioff"   

The Pace v3 Blue light came new with Firmware version 2.0.

In all this discussion, it seems like there is another problem with the Pace v3 that has not been specifically stated:  why is the Pace v3 STB even checking the downstream HDMI device for its Surround audio capabilities when the optical output port is active?  Clearly the v3 knows that the optical port is active, i hear the stereo-only output from my receiver.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 433 of 769

Your answer is in post number 393 in this thread...

Anon225895 wrote:

hi all,  A few weeks ago I switched from an X1 Arris greenie to a new Pace XG1 v3 blue light STB when my old Arris would no-longer power on.   Since the switch, surround sound can no longer be selected (stereo only now!), and I am receiving the brief audio drop outs described elsewhere on this post.

The rest of my equipment is the same as used with the Arris, connected the same way, with the same cables.

• LG LCD TV connected to the STB via HDMI
  • Yamaha receiver connected via Optical.  The receiver is older so it does not have HDMI in/out ports.   
  • TV configured as "Audioff"   

The Pace v3 Blue light came new with Firmware version 2.0.

In all this discussion, it seems like there is another problem with the Pace v3 that has not been specifically stated:  why is the Pace v3 STB even checking the downstream HDMI device for its Surround audio capabilities when the optical output port is active?  Clearly the v3 knows that the optical port is active, i hear the stereo-only output from my receiver.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 434 of 769

Thanks RickGr4

I read post 393 and those before and after it, but I don't understand the answer. :<  

I do have the optical cable to my receiver, hdmi to my TV, and I have selected "Surround" in the X1 audio menu; but it does not stick, and does not output 5.1 surround to the receiver.  The receiver displays stereo and not 5.1.   Again this all worked as expected with my prior Arris greenie that died a few weeks ago.

I did a hard boot a moment ago, and my Pace V3 STB About shows:

Release Version: xappl-XRE.51P4

XRE Server Version: 1.51.04 03/20/2015 17:10

XRE Protocol Version: 2.8.0

Receiver:   Native Version: 2.0.0

STB version PX013AN_2.0p15s1_PROD_HYBse

how does one force 5.1 output to the TOSLINK port using a Pace V3 STB as you describe in post 393?   Do i need new firmware that is still pending release?  or is there some hardware settings menu that i have not discovered? 

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 435 of 769

Well i guess i solved my own problem but i am not sure how, or why.

First I updated the firmware on my LG tv, but that didnt do the trick -- still in stereo only on the x1 and stereo mode displaying on the toslink-connected receiver.output.   I fooled around with settings on the receiver to no avail.

Then I tried getting the X1 menu positioned just up to the point where one would select "surround" by clicking ok -- and I turned OFF the TV (hdmi connection),  then hit enter.   Ta Da!  receiver kicked instantly into surround mode.    Success!   And now, strangely, surround is now working even after power cycles for all equipment.    

The only issue now is the X1 menu still displays "stereo" even though the output is full 5.1.  I guess now i am in the same boat as everyone else -- 5.1 works fine, but menu looks wrong.   

if i had to guess, having powered down the  hdmi device (the TV)  allowed the STB software to try out the capabilities of the toslink port.     Is that even sensible?  I dont know but its working now.  I can get back to watching playoff hockey in HD, 5.1, the way god intended.    

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 436 of 769

Your "fix" is almost exactly the same thing I posted in message 393 other than you had your TV off. I think if you would have gone through the same steps with your TV on it would have worked just the same as it did with your TV off...

FYI, if your read further along in this thread, you may have noticed that ComcastNeal (the author of this thread) agreed with the comments I made in that post...

Anon225895 wrote:

Well i guess i solved my own problem but i am not sure how, or why.

First I updated the firmware on my LG tv, but that didnt do the trick -- still in stereo only on the x1 and stereo mode displaying on the toslink-connected receiver.output.   I fooled around with settings on the receiver to no avail.

Then I tried getting the X1 menu positioned just up to the point where one would select "surround" by clicking ok -- and I turned OFF the TV (hdmi connection),  then hit enter.   Ta Da!  receiver kicked instantly into surround mode.    Success!   And now, strangely, surround is now working even after power cycles for all equipment.    

The only issue now is the X1 menu still displays "stereo" even though the output is full 5.1.  I guess now i am in the same boat as everyone else -- 5.1 works fine, but menu looks wrong.   

if i had to guess, having powered down the  hdmi device (the TV)  allowed the STB software to try out the capabilities of the toslink port.     Is that even sensible?  I dont know but its working now.  I can get back to watching playoff hockey in HD, 5.1, the way god intended.    

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 437 of 769

Can someone please help me?  I just got an X1 DVR today.  It has a green power button light.  My surround sound is not working properly.  The X1 STB works when the audio mode is Stereo, but when I set it to Surround, it only works until I change the channel.  Once I change the channel, I get no audio at all unless I switch back to Stereo and then back to Surround.

My setup:

X1 STB hooked up to Sony TV via HDMI

Sony TV can decode 5.1 signals and has a TosLink audio to to Sony receiver.

This setup works for me with all my other devices such as my Sony PS4, PS3, and even my old STB.  I don't understand why the X1 STB is getting confused and not outputting audio when I change channels.

Thanks.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 438 of 769

All you need to do is read this thread... Your answers are contained within this thread. More than once......

There are four different X1 DVRs in circulation. For people that care about surround audio you have the least desirable of the four...

russr1123 wrote:

Can someone please help me?  I just got an X1 DVR today.  It has a green power button light.  My surround sound is not working properly.  The X1 STB works when the audio mode is Stereo, but when I set it to Surround, it only works until I change the channel.  Once I change the channel, I get no audio at all unless I switch back to Stereo and then back to Surround.

My setup:

X1 STB hooked up to Sony TV via HDMI

Sony TV can decode 5.1 signals and has a TosLink audio to to Sony receiver.

This setup works for me with all my other devices such as my Sony PS4, PS3, and even my old STB.  I don't understand why the X1 STB is getting confused and not outputting audio when I change channels.

Thanks.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 439 of 769

Thanks for your response.  Is there a specific post you can direct me towards?  I can tell you that I can't use the optical out from the X1 STB and feed it to my receiver because my receiver has only one of those.  I have to use my TV's optical out as the TV acts as the switcher and can decode DD 5.1 signals and send them to the receiver through the optical out port.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 440 of 769

I have the Arris DVR box hooked up to a denon 5.1 receiver and the audio keeps cutting out when watching On Demand programming! However the audio hardly ever cuts out for Live TV and DVR recordings which is nice Smiley Happy

Will the On Demand audio drop outs be fixed also?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 441 of 769

RickGr4, after talking to Comcast for a long time on the phone, no one was able to help me.  They said that they had never heard of any surround sound issues.  I mentioned the posts on the internet about the Arris XG1 and all they could do was tell me to go to my local office and swap mine out for that box if I wanted to try and see if it fixed it.  I gave the XG1 Pace V1 (Green power led) the best shot I could.  In the end, it did not like my Sony TV and never worked properly in Surround Mode.  The only way it would work was if I hooked up the optical out from the box directly to my receiver.  Given that my receiver has only 1 optical in, this was not a feasible solution for me.  So today, I packed up the Pace XG1 and exchanged it at my local office for the Arris XG1.  I set it to surround sound and it worked, I changed channels and it still worked.  The box also has a slightly smaller footprint.  They should throw those Pace XG1 boxes out or at least inform their X1 Customer Support team of the surround sound issues.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 442 of 769
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 443 of 769

There are numerous looooooonnnnnngggggg threads in this forums about audio problems, most with the original Pace green light box. Some of the threads date back to May 2013!!! To be honest, I have made so many posts about X1 audio and repeated myself so many times that I got kinda tired of talking about it. If you need any more info about X1 and audio issues, please use the forum search function. I can assure you that you will find PLENTY of reading material on the topic.

I have known since late 2013 that the Arris box solved most of if not all of the X1 audio problems. The Arris has better picture quality than the Pace greenie does as well.

I am surprised you went to a Comcast location and found only Pace green light boxes. I was told the Comcast was QUIETLY trying to get the Pace greenie out of circulation.

I have not tried the new "V3" Pace blueie. My best buddy has a V2 Pace blueie and from what I can see it works just fine (with the new 2.0 STB firmware). I have used it quite often. I have also encountered V2 Pace blueie's at customers homes. I can verify the V2 Pace blueie works but I can also verify it does nothing better than the Arris box.

FYI, it is quite rare when Comcast actually admits there is a problem and it is also quite rare that you would talk to anyone on the phone from Comcast that would know anything about this...

russr1123 wrote:

RickGr4, after talking to Comcast for a long time on the phone, no one was able to help me.  They said that they had never heard of any surround sound issues.  I mentioned the posts on the internet about the Arris XG1 and all they could do was tell me to go to my local office and swap mine out for that box if I wanted to try and see if it fixed it.  I gave the XG1 Pace V1 (Green power led) the best shot I could.  In the end, it did not like my Sony TV and never worked properly in Surround Mode.  The only way it would work was if I hooked up the optical out from the box directly to my receiver.  Given that my receiver has only 1 optical in, this was not a feasible solution for me.  So today, I packed up the Pace XG1 and exchanged it at my local office for the Arris XG1.  I set it to surround sound and it worked, I changed channels and it still worked.  The box also has a slightly smaller footprint.  They should throw those Pace XG1 boxes out or at least inform their X1 Customer Support team of the surround sound issues.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 444 of 769

Anyone had their Audio Sync issue resolved yet?

Comcast upgraded me to X1 a few days ago.  I don't use DVR, so they gave me a non-DVR HD Pace box (green light).  After the tech left (apparently you can't self install X1 in my area) I noticed the audio was totally out of sync (never an issue with the old platform).  

My setup is pretty simple; X1 to Toshiba LCD (three years old?) via HDMI, then audio that runs out of the TV to a Bose Solo via an optical cable.  

I eliminated the Bose from the equation, just to see if I could get the problem resolved with the TV speakers.  I tried swapping HDMI cables, playing with all possible settings, even eliminating the HDMI and using old school component cables.  I then moved the box to a newer LG TV in the bedroom...same issue.  Also tried running HDMI to the TV and optical to the bose right out of the X1 box...same problem.

Tech came back the next day with a new box (same model) which had the same issue.  At this point I had ready most of these forums so I asked if he could bring another brand box.  He said our area didn't have Arris, but came back later in the day with Samsung box (looked the same as the Pace but said Samsung on it?).  Same issue.  

I asked if he could try an HD DVR box since all 3 non-DVR boxes had the same issue.  He came back from the truck with a Pace XG1-P (blue light).  The audio sync was significanly less noticable, but still present, so he left me with that box for the time being.

I am super OCD about small details and the audio sync is driving me crazy.  I assume the box has the 2.0 firmware since it was just installed and the update has been out for a while (I'll check when I get home later tonight).

My question is.....I have read this entire thread and I see that the updated firmware has fixed many of the surround and audio drop issues, but I haven't seen any posts about it resolving the audio sync issue.  The Tech told me he sees it a lot but most people don't notive.  I notice!  

Clearly it's not a hardware issue since I'm on my 4TH BOX in 3 days.  Since I don't see many recent posts about audio sync issues I'm hoping the fix is out there and working?

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 445 of 769

1. The problem could be and probably is the X1 box.
2. It could be the broadcasts. I have noticed the audio sync on old movies on AMC can be way off.
3. It could be the TV itself. Have you checked to see if there is a firmware update for your TV? Sometimes LED/LCD TVs are "slower" than plasma TVs.
4. It could a bad match (mismatch) between X1 and your TV.
5. Sometimes it is simply the nature of digital video.

The problem is X1 have no settings available to help with this. At this point, unless your TV has some sort of update available, there may be little you can do about it...

I have three Arris DVRs in my house. All three are connected to external audio systems. Audio sync hasn't been an issue for us.

coppo110 wrote:

Anyone had their Audio Sync issue resolved yet?

Comcast upgraded me to X1 a few days ago.  I don't use DVR, so they gave me a non-DVR HD Pace box (green light).  After the tech left (apparently you can't self install X1 in my area) I noticed the audio was totally out of sync (never an issue with the old platform).  

My setup is pretty simple; X1 to Toshiba LCD (three years old?) via HDMI, then audio that runs out of the TV to a Bose Solo via an optical cable.  

I eliminated the Bose from the equation, just to see if I could get the problem resolved with the TV speakers.  I tried swapping HDMI cables, playing with all possible settings, even eliminating the HDMI and using old school component cables.  I then moved the box to a newer LG TV in the bedroom...same issue.  Also tried running HDMI to the TV and optical to the bose right out of the X1 box...same problem.

Tech came back the next day with a new box (same model) which had the same issue.  At this point I had ready most of these forums so I asked if he could bring another brand box.  He said our area didn't have Arris, but came back later in the day with Samsung box (looked the same as the Pace but said Samsung on it?).  Same issue.  

I asked if he could try an HD DVR box since all 3 non-DVR boxes had the same issue.  He came back from the truck with a Pace XG1-P (blue light).  The audio sync was significanly less noticable, but still present, so he left me with that box for the time being.

I am super OCD about small details and the audio sync is driving me crazy.  I assume the box has the 2.0 firmware since it was just installed and the update has been out for a while (I'll check when I get home later tonight).

My question is.....I have read this entire thread and I see that the updated firmware has fixed many of the surround and audio drop issues, but I haven't seen any posts about it resolving the audio sync issue.  The Tech told me he sees it a lot but most people don't notive.  I notice!  

Clearly it's not a hardware issue since I'm on my 4TH BOX in 3 days.  Since I don't see many recent posts about audio sync issues I'm hoping the fix is out there and working?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 446 of 769

RickGr4 wrote:

There are numerous looooooonnnnnngggggg threads in this forums about audio problems, most with the original Pace green light box. Some of the threads date back to May 2013!!! To be honest, I have made so many posts about X1 audio and repeated myself so many times that I got kinda tired of talking about it. If you need any more info about X1 and audio issues, please use the forum search function. I can assure you that you will find PLENTY of reading material on the topic.

I have known since late 2013 that the Arris box solved most of if not all of the X1 audio problems. The Arris has better picture quality than the Pace greenie does as well.

I am surprised you went to a Comcast location and found only Pace green light boxes. I was told the Comcast was QUIETLY trying to get the Pace greenie out of circulation.

I have not tried the new "V3" Pace blueie. My best buddy has a V2 Pace blueie and from what I can see it works just fine (with the new 2.0 STB firmware). I have used it quite often. I have also encountered V2 Pace blueie's at customers homes. I can verify the V2 Pace blueie works but I can also verify it does nothing better than the Arris box.

FYI, it is quite rare when Comcast actually admits there is a problem and it is also quite rare that you would talk to anyone on the phone from Comcast that would no anything about this...

The tech that installed the X1 brought the Pace V1.  I exchanged it for the Arris at my local comcast center.  I don't know what else the local comcast center had, but they did inform me that the pace one I had was really old.

I also got a call from tier2 tech support the next day and they told me that they were aware of all the surround sound issues with the original pace v1 boxes.  They said it was their first box.  I don't know why they are still giving these to customers though.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 447 of 769
Probably the same reason you still see them handing out DCT-2000s from the late 90s..
Posted by
Visitor

Message 448 of 769

- Very well could be, but it would have to be an issue with all 4 boxes they tried.  Two Pace Green Light Boxes, one "Samsung" Blue light box, and a Pace blue light DVR box (which is what they left installed since it seemed less severe with this box.

2. It could be the broadcasts. I have noticed the audio sync on old movies on AMC can be way off.

- It happens on all channels including on demand.  Mostly tested it on CNN, NBC, and CBS live broadcasts.

3. It could be the TV itself. Have you checked to see if there is a firmware update for your TV?Sometimes LED/LCD TVs are "slower" than plasma TVs.

- Doesn't appear that my Toshiba TV has a firmware update, at least not that's shown on the Toshiba web site.  I also test two of the boxes on my LG TV in the bedroom and had the same issue.  I suppose it could be possible that BOTH TV's need updates?  They are both around 2-3 years old.  I did not check on an update for the LG.

See my response above.

I refuse to beleive that it's the nature of digital video since the HD box I had prior to X1 less than a week ago never had this problem.  

COMCASTNEAL, could you please confirm whether or not this issue has been resolved with the firmware updates?  Or, could someone who once had an audio sync issue that does not have it anymore please confirm that it's been resolved or how they fixed it?  Thanks!

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 449 of 769

We haven't heard from ComcastNeal for awhile. Not sure what he is up to.

FYI, when it comes to X1 issues, Comcast RARELY confirms or denies anything. But Neal has made it fairly clear that Comcast is not going to give users access to the settings that could potentially fix this.

I suggest you go back to legacy boxes.

coppo110 wrote:

- Very well could be, but it would have to be an issue with all 4 boxes they tried.  Two Pace Green Light Boxes, one "Samsung" Blue light box, and a Pace blue light DVR box (which is what they left installed since it seemed less severe with this box.

- It happens on all channels including on demand.  Mostly tested it on CNN, NBC, and CBS live broadcasts.

3. It could be the TV itself. Have you checked to see if there is a firmware update for your TV?Sometimes LED/LCD TVs are "slower" than plasma TVs.

- Doesn't appear that my Toshiba TV has a firmware update, at least not that's shown on the Toshiba web site.  I also test two of the boxes on my LG TV in the bedroom and had the same issue.  I suppose it could be possible that BOTH TV's need updates?  They are both around 2-3 years old.  I did not check on an update for the LG.

See my response above.

I refuse to beleive that it's the nature of digital video since the HD box I had prior to X1 less than a week ago never had this problem.  

COMCASTNEAL, could you please confirm whether or not this issue has been resolved with the firmware updates?  Or, could someone who once had an audio sync issue that does not have it anymore please confirm that it's been resolved or how they fixed it?  Thanks!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 450 of 769

I have a Pace XG1v1 DVR and the Pace Xi3 satallites. My problem is that when I watch a program using On Demand it will not play in Surround Sound.

Works perfect on the main XG1v1 box but not the satellites.

Everything works fine on live or recorded programs just not the On Demand on the Xi3s!

Is this a known proplem or what setting can I change to fix it?

Please help.