Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

5,764,439

members

44

online now

1,919,540

discussions

Back to Top

X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

ANSWERED
Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

I am happy to hear that another X1 forum member has seen the light in regards to universal remote controls.

Yes, Harmony One's and 900's are discontinued. But they occasionally pop up on eBay refurbished for reasonable prices. All three of my 900s are eBay refurbs and they work great.


rgm6027 wrote:

Couldn't agree more, long-time Harmony One and a 900 user - all sadly discontinued along the way.  but your right as a a product line they all beat the tar out of any Comcast remote.







Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

I go back to the original Philips Prontos... Need macros (Logitech sequences) and other functionality to control blinds, lights fans, etc.  The logtech interface is a bit quirkey but it gets the job done mostly.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

There is always URC remotes. I have an MX780 which works very well with X1 and they are more capable than Harmony remotes... I use my MX780 often but I don't like the button layout as much as my 900s...


rgm6027 wrote:

I go back to the original Philips Prontos... Need macros (Logitech sequences) and other functionality to control blinds, lights fans, etc.  The logtech interface is a bit quirkey but it gets the job done mostly.




Contributor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?


ComcastNeal wrote:

ComcastNeal wrote:

16craig wrote:

ComcastNeal wrote:

16craig wrote:

 

 

 

 

 

RobertWy wrote:

I have a TX-NR626.  But I use the receiver's speakers for X1 and my Samsung BD player and my PS/3.  I never use my Samsung SmartTV speakers, so I can't tell you what to do  I do have HDMI-CEC turned off in my TV.

 

I can't understand why you don't want to listen to 5.1 coming from the X1.

 


I been waiting for 3 months to listen to 5.1 coming from the X1. Problem is the  audio lag present so it looks like your watching some 60' B movies all the time.
Also, My slo-motion is still not fully working, another 2.0 fix that didn't work either.
Oh, and before anyone tells me that 2.0 will fix the problem... 2.o showed up on my set top and now after waiting months for this update that was supposed to fix the lag...It did not.
I'm starting wonder how compentent Comcasts programmers are or if Comcast just pays crappy wages so they can't get good help. Maybe all the think tankers are farmed out to overseas people???!!!
 

16craig, please give me some details around how your system is hooked up and what gear you're using.  Please indicate your TV model, Surround Receiver model, and any other information you can provide.  I see you have a Pace XG1.  Can you also please tell me if you're using HDMI or component and optical for your surround (or a combination of both).  Thanks, Neal


ComcastNeal,
We've been through this before when I posted in a thread last year about the video lag I was experiencing with the new X1 platform.

ComcastBrandon pinged my box ( http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Video-lag-sync-problems-only-present-on-Comcasts-own-Sports/m-p/2438... and that fixed the lag for a brief period of time.

I repsonded to him as you can read in the link) thanking him for sending the reset and also told him it helped for only a short time. No response back from him... I posted two more times in that thread asking for a permanent fix. To this day, I've never heard back from him.

 

Now here I am with you Neal, with the same problem but only 2 months later without a resolution.

 

I'll tell you what and with due respect towards you Neal.... below are my components... you direct me how to hook them up so it works and I will follow sans buying any new cables as the old ones worked just fine with the Legacy HDDVR. 

 

TV model.

Samsung PN65F8500

Receiver

Onkyo TX-NR616

 

1- Also, the set top still won't hold the surround setting I have selected many times, something we were told would be fixed after 2.0 rolled out.

2- AND I might add, Slo-motion still hasn't been full restored to full funcunality we used to have and just has slo-mo forward.

When will these all be fixed? I getting tired of paying my bill in full every month and not receiving what I pay for.

I think a credit would be order for all??

 

Thank you in advance.

 

 

 


Hi 16craig.  Thanks for the link to the post from December.  Let me dig in a bit now and see what I can find.  


16craig I have a few questions for you.

 

1) Please indicate how your system is wired today.  I recommend using all HDMI to start.  You should come out of your Pace XG1 HDMI and go directly into the Onkyo 616 receiver.  From the receiver to the TV should also be HDMI.

 

2) Do you have "HDMI Through" disabled in your Onkyo 616's settings?  This can be found on page 66 of the receiver's manual.  I've also included the process to disable this function here:

 

-From http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/SN29401019_TX-NR616_En_web.pdf

 

-To gain access to these menus use your Onkyo remote.  Press "Receiver" > HOME > ARROW TO SETUP > ENTER

 

-"HDMI Through" should be "OFF" for all inputs (or at LEAST the input you're using for your X1 box).  

 

-"Audio TV Out" should be "OFF"

 

-You also have a "Lip Sync" option here.  Let's turn that off (for now) too, so we have a baseline to test with.

 

-“HDMI Control(RIHD)” should also be set to "OFF"

 

-You should also ensure you're receiver's firmware is current.  Use your Onkyo's remote and press "Receiver" > HOME > ARROW TO Firmware Update > ENTER > Select “Update via NET” and press ENTER > Select “Update” and press ENTER.

 

 

Please confirm your setup is wired as per my recommendation and you've walked through the Onkyo's setup as per my suggestions here and we'll move to the next steps as required.  Thanks, Neal

 

 


Thanks for your reply .

 

Unfortunatly I just had carpal tunnel release surgery and won't be able to do what you want for a few weeks as it will take some minor lifting to get to the jacks.

I can tell you that in your setup it would require me to always have the Onkyo on. Thats something I don't want all the time and only want occasionally.

 

I can also tell you its a beotch typing with only ypour left hand but I wanted to reply to your post!!!

 

I will get back to you hopefully in a couple of weeks, u ntil then, how would you hook up to selectivly use either tv speakers or surround speakers.

 

                   

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

 

OK, i'm really getting confused... lol... can someone advise...

 

i can run an HDMI from the pace box to the back of the receiver, and then run an HDMI from the receiver to the TV. In this scenario i'm assuming that the receiver is grabbing the audio signal (and running the audio through the receiver out to the surround speakers) and then passing everything to the TV.

 

On the other hand, I can run the HDMI from the pace box directly to the TV and run an optical cable from the pace box to the receiver to get the surround sound.

 

The way I see it, both scenarios will produce the same end result. Am I wrong? If I'm wrong, can someone please explain what I'm misunderstanding???

 

Thanks, Glenn

Service Expert

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?


skibumvt wrote:

 

OK, i'm really getting confused... lol... can someone advise...

 

i can run an HDMI from the pace box to the back of the receiver, and then run an HDMI from the receiver to the TV. In this scenario i'm assuming that the receiver is grabbing the audio signal (and running the audio through the receiver out to the surround speakers) and then passing everything to the TV.

 

On the other hand, I can run the HDMI from the pace box directly to the TV and run an optical cable from the pace box to the receiver to get the surround sound.

 

The way I see it, both scenarios will produce the same end result. Am I wrong? If I'm wrong, can someone please explain what I'm misunderstanding???

 

Thanks, Glenn


I have been using HDMI only like you describe with my X1 Pace Greeie DVR since I got it.

 

There was some problem with surround sticking until 2.0.0 was released.

 

You didn't say what STB you have. 

 

 




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

 

It looks like my STB is: PX013AN_2.0p9s1_PROD_HYBse

 

I've not hooked anything up yet as I'm trying to determine what's the best way. I've been reading, and reading, and reading..... and I think at this point I've read too much because all the info is slowly melting into a big mush pile...lol

 

Be aware that I'm not a very technical person. I'd still be watching my 15 year old projection tv if my kid had not went out and bought me this new tv (Samsung UN65HU7250). Getting this tv has spoiled me.... my eyes have been shown the candy and now my ears want it too......

 

It's just that I have read about sooooooooo many gotchas in these forums about getting the sound to play correctly. I'd rather figure it out before I start plugging things in aimlessly.

 

My plan was to do as follows.... does anyone see an issue???  Am I at least on the right track?

 

I have a Samsung 65 inch 4K TV. Model # UN65HU7250

Pioneer VSX-524-k receiver

Pace X1 DVR (Model PX013ANC – blue light)

 

One thing that's a little unique (maybe not so) is that the Samsung TV has apps on it, like Netflix that add to the confusion of it all, sound wise. If I only had straight TV to deal with (i.e. no apps like netflix that are completely separate from comcast) I could have just ran an optical cable from the Pace box to the Pioneer receiver and an HDMI from the Pace to the Samsung TV. But, in this case, it's not that simple. I have to deal with 2 distinct sound feeds. One from the Comcast Pace box for the regular TV sound and a second from the apps on the Samsung TV which are coming in via the internet on wireless.

 

Step 1) HDMI (note, all hdmi cables are “high speed, ethernet”) from the Pace DVR to the “SAT/CBL” HDMI input on the Pioneer

 

Step 2) HDMI from the Pioneer “HDMI OUT” to the “HDMI 1” (non-arc) port on the Samsung TV.

 

Step 3) Optical cable from the Samsung TV to the Pioneer

 

Step 1 and step 2 take care of any sound coming out of the comcast pace box (regular tv and on demand etc.). Going from the pace box to the pioneer strips off the surround sound before sending the signal on to the samsung tv.

 

Step 3 takes care of any sound coming from the samsung tv apps like netflix or anything else coming off the internet via the samsung tv

 

(note: my receiver only has one optical cable input, so I feel I have to save that open port for the samsung apps that are streamed in via the internet)

 

(note 2: it appears to me reading the forums that the ARC option is not one that I want because the samsung tv's whack the audio down to stereo if using HDMI)

 

Thanks, Glenn

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Skibumvt:

That is exactly how I have mine configured and it works just fine. 

In addition I have my logitech remote with 2 separate activities: one for internet apps and a second for comcast that configure the receiver and the TV accordingly.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

You have this right on. Your connections are correct. However I urge you to consider Multicore's advice. Any activity based universal remote control programmed with separate activities will make this MUCH easier to control and operate.


skibumvt wrote:

 

It looks like my STB is: PX013AN_2.0p9s1_PROD_HYBse

 

I've not hooked anything up yet as I'm trying to determine what's the best way. I've been reading, and reading, and reading..... and I think at this point I've read too much because all the info is slowly melting into a big mush pile...lol

 

Be aware that I'm not a very technical person. I'd still be watching my 15 year old projection tv if my kid had not went out and bought me this new tv (Samsung UN65HU7250). Getting this tv has spoiled me.... my eyes have been shown the candy and now my ears want it too......

 

It's just that I have read about sooooooooo many gotchas in these forums about getting the sound to play correctly. I'd rather figure it out before I start plugging things in aimlessly.

 

My plan was to do as follows.... does anyone see an issue???  Am I at least on the right track?

 

I have a Samsung 65 inch 4K TV. Model # UN65HU7250

Pioneer VSX-524-k receiver

Pace X1 DVR (Model PX013ANC – blue light)

 

One thing that's a little unique (maybe not so) is that the Samsung TV has apps on it, like Netflix that add to the confusion of it all, sound wise. If I only had straight TV to deal with (i.e. no apps like netflix that are completely separate from comcast) I could have just ran an optical cable from the Pace box to the Pioneer receiver and an HDMI from the Pace to the Samsung TV. But, in this case, it's not that simple. I have to deal with 2 distinct sound feeds. One from the Comcast Pace box for the regular TV sound and a second from the apps on the Samsung TV which are coming in via the internet on wireless.

 

Step 1) HDMI (note, all hdmi cables are “high speed, ethernet”) from the Pace DVR to the “SAT/CBL” HDMI input on the Pioneer

 

Step 2) HDMI from the Pioneer “HDMI OUT” to the “HDMI 1” (non-arc) port on the Samsung TV.

 

Step 3) Optical cable from the Samsung TV to the Pioneer

 

Step 1 and step 2 take care of any sound coming out of the comcast pace box (regular tv and on demand etc.). Going from the pace box to the pioneer strips off the surround sound before sending the signal on to the samsung tv.

 

Step 3 takes care of any sound coming from the samsung tv apps like netflix or anything else coming off the internet via the samsung tv

 

(note: my receiver only has one optical cable input, so I feel I have to save that open port for the samsung apps that are streamed in via the internet)

 

(note 2: it appears to me reading the forums that the ARC option is not one that I want because the samsung tv's whack the audio down to stereo if using HDMI)

 

Thanks, Glenn







Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Thank you gentlemen.... I'll start plugging in cables this evening and see how it goes. I have to admit, I really didn't think I would have gotten it right on the 1st crack. I guess there really is true value in reading all the forums first. But I still say it's a pretty daunting task to take it all in. (all the info contained within these forums)

 

what kind of logitech remote would you suggest. I have the tv, receiver, pace box and a dvd/blueray. I'm thinking the harmony 650 would do it... I even see on their website that for $39 they will completly set it up for you.... woo hoo....  one less thing to understand....

 

Stay tuned... tomorrow I'll post what happened when i plug it all in.

 

Thanks again.... Glenn

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

The 650 is a great inexpensive remote. However don't pay any extra for them to program. It's very easy to do as long as you know the exact model numbers of your gear and how it is connected. Harmony's web site pretty much walks you through it after that.


skibumvt wrote:

Thank you gentlemen.... I'll start plugging in cables this evening and see how it goes. I have to admit, I really didn't think I would have gotten it right on the 1st crack. I guess there really is true value in reading all the forums first. But I still say it's a pretty daunting task to take it all in. (all the info contained within these forums)

 

what kind of logitech remote would you suggest. I have the tv, receiver, pace box and a dvd/blueray. I'm thinking the harmony 650 would do it... I even see on their website that for $39 they will completly set it up for you.... woo hoo....  one less thing to understand....

 

Stay tuned... tomorrow I'll post what happened when i plug it all in.

 

Thanks again.... Glenn


 

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?


skibumvt wrote:

Thank you gentlemen.... I'll start plugging in cables this evening and see how it goes. I have to admit, I really didn't think I would have gotten it right on the 1st crack. I guess there really is true value in reading all the forums first. But I still say it's a pretty daunting task to take it all in. (all the info contained within these forums)

 

what kind of logitech remote would you suggest. I have the tv, receiver, pace box and a dvd/blueray. I'm thinking the harmony 650 would do it... I even see on their website that for $39 they will completly set it up for you.... woo hoo....  one less thing to understand....

 

Stay tuned... tomorrow I'll post what happened when i plug it all in.

 

Thanks again.... Glenn


Glenn,

 

I have 3 Pace X1 DVR's connected to 3 receivers - 2 Sony and 1 Bose.  All are connected with HDMI to the HDTV's and optical cable to the receivers. Each setup has a Blu-ray player connected the same way - HDMI and optical.  I'm using a Harmony 650 fo control the main setup and the Comcast remotes for the other two.  All works great - no problems.

 

The benefit to this setup is there's one less HDMI cable - and therefore one less HDMI handshake to worry about.

 

You'll be fine whichever way you go.  Good luck.

 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Jim,

Don't you have Sony TVs? I you do, that makes your connection options quite a bit different than Glenn has with a Samsung.


manamok wrote:

skibumvt wrote:

Thank you gentlemen.... I'll start plugging in cables this evening and see how it goes. I have to admit, I really didn't think I would have gotten it right on the 1st crack. I guess there really is true value in reading all the forums first. But I still say it's a pretty daunting task to take it all in. (all the info contained within these forums)

 

what kind of logitech remote would you suggest. I have the tv, receiver, pace box and a dvd/blueray. I'm thinking the harmony 650 would do it... I even see on their website that for $39 they will completly set it up for you.... woo hoo....  one less thing to understand....

 

Stay tuned... tomorrow I'll post what happened when i plug it all in.

 

Thanks again.... Glenn


Glenn,

 

I have 3 Pace X1 DVR's connected to 3 receivers - 2 Sony and 1 Bose.  All are connected with HDMI to the HDTV's and optical cable to the receivers. Each setup has a Blu-ray player connected the same way - HDMI and optical.  I'm using a Harmony 650 fo control the main setup and the Comcast remotes for the other two.  All works great - no problems.

 

The benefit to this setup is there's one less HDMI cable - and therefore one less HDMI handshake to worry about.

 

You'll be fine whichever way you go.  Good luck.

 


 

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

 

in reply to manamok.

 

It sounds like you have mutiple optical inputs on your receivers. my receiver only has one optical input. i'm reserving that for the netflix feed from the tv. 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Glenn,

You are doing exactly what I do. I use the interent hub in my Panasonic plasma TV fairly often...


skibumvt wrote:

 

It sounds like you have mutiple optical inputs on your receivers. my receiver only has one optical input. i'm reserving that for the netflix feed from the tv. 





Bronze Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?


RickGr4 wrote:

Jim,

Don't you have Sony TVs? I you do, that makes your connection options quite a bit different than Glenn has with a Samsung.


Rick,

 

3 Panny plasma HDTV's - 2 about five years old - 1 only two.

 

My 10 year old Sony plasma is hooked up to an HD DTA.

 

 

 

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?


skibumvt wrote:

 

in reply to manamok.

 

It sounds like you have mutiple optical inputs on your receivers. my receiver only has one optical input. i'm reserving that for the netflix feed from the tv. 


Ah - makes sense.  More than one way to skin a cat.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

For those who did not happen to see it the last time I posted it. This often overlooked piece of information is EXTREMELY important for people who care about surround audio:

http://www.cnet.com/news/20-tvs-tested-which-sets-can-pass-surround-sound-to-a-sound-bar/

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Thanks Rick,

That is exactly why I run HDMI to my receiver (this is especially truse for Blu-ray lossless audio since it is always downconverted for optical).

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Multicore,

Very good point. That is another often overlooked piece to this puzzle.


multicore wrote:

Thanks Rick,

That is exactly why I run HDMI to my receiver (this is especially truse for Blu-ray lossless audio since it is always downconverted for optical).


 

Service Expert

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?


skibumvt wrote:

Thank you gentlemen.... I'll start plugging in cables this evening and see how it goes. I have to admit, I really didn't think I would have gotten it right on the 1st crack. I guess there really is true value in reading all the forums first. But I still say it's a pretty daunting task to take it all in. (all the info contained within these forums)

 

what kind of logitech remote would you suggest. I have the tv, receiver, pace box and a dvd/blueray. I'm thinking the harmony 650 would do it... I even see on their website that for $39 they will completly set it up for you.... woo hoo....  one less thing to understand....

 

Stay tuned... tomorrow I'll post what happened when i plug it all in.

 

Thanks again.... Glenn


I use the 650 with my Samsung 3D TV, Onkyo TX-NR626, X1 DVR, and Samsung 3D BD player.

 

Edit:  I should mention the 650 has a limit on the number of devices it can support.




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

 

OK, here's how it all went down..... 1st, let me say that I was quite stumped for more then a few moments.... I hooked everything up according to the plan posted above and I could not get any sound from the 2nd audio feed (that feed coming over the optical cable to take care of the samsung tv apps like netflix) My "AH HA" moment came when it finally dawned on me that for any input selected on the receiver (like, sat/cbl, dvd, cd, etc...) there are mutiple signals (hdmi, optical, coax, etc) you can choose from. (another example of the true value of reading, and then, re-reading the manual...... when will i ever learn....sigh)

 

Anyway.... it's all working properly now. One thing I noticed is that for the optical feed audio it does not matter what input is selected on the receiver (sat/cbl, dvd,cd, etc.). All that matters is that the optical signal is selected within that input. When you really think about it, that makes sense. I still thought I'd mention it as it may help someone else.

 

One other thing I'd like to mention that's off subject.... I've noticed a lot of talk on the forums about audio not matching up with the lips on the screen. I too have experienced this. The way I've always dealt with it is to just turn the tv off and turn it back on again. That would always clear it up. (although not a gracious way to deal with it, it worked...) I've also seen in the forums that a lot of folks are pointing a finger at comcast for this behavior. Well..... I'm seeing this happen when I'm watching netflix also. Netflix is streaming directly off the internet... has nothing to do with a comcast box. I'm wondering if this is a samsung tv problem. hmmmm

 

In closing I'd like to thank the folks here that have offered their opinions and guidance. I'm not sure I could have gotten this done without your help in answering my questions directly and all of your collective posts in the past that I was able to read and glean info from. 

 

Live long and prosper........ Glenn

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

We always like to hear about successes - I'm glad it worked out for you.  

 

To paraphrase Mark Twain - "The two most important days in your life are the day you're born and the day you get your A/V equipment working just how you want it."

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Which Mark Twain said that???  LOL


manamok wrote:

We always like to hear about successes - I'm glad it worked out for you.  

 

To paraphrase Mark Twain - "The two most important days in your life are the day you're born and the day you get your A/V equipment working just how you want it."


 

Service Expert

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?


skibumvt wrote:

 

OK, here's how it all went down..... 1st, let me say that I was quite stumped for more then a few moments.... I hooked everything up according to the plan posted above and I could not get any sound from the 2nd audio feed (that feed coming over the optical cable to take care of the samsung tv apps like netflix) My "AH HA" moment came when it finally dawned on me that for any input selected on the receiver (like, sat/cbl, dvd, cd, etc...) there are mutiple signals (hdmi, optical, coax, etc) you can choose from. (another example of the true value of reading, and then, re-reading the manual...... when will i ever learn....sigh)

 

Anyway.... it's all working properly now. One thing I noticed is that for the optical feed audio it does not matter what input is selected on the receiver (sat/cbl, dvd,cd, etc.). All that matters is that the optical signal is selected within that input. When you really think about it, that makes sense. I still thought I'd mention it as it may help someone else.

 

One other thing I'd like to mention that's off subject.... I've noticed a lot of talk on the forums about audio not matching up with the lips on the screen. I too have experienced this. The way I've always dealt with it is to just turn the tv off and turn it back on again. That would always clear it up. (although not a gracious way to deal with it, it worked...) I've also seen in the forums that a lot of folks are pointing a finger at comcast for this behavior. Well..... I'm seeing this happen when I'm watching netflix also. Netflix is streaming directly off the internet... has nothing to do with a comcast box. I'm wondering if this is a samsung tv problem. hmmmm

 

In closing I'd like to thank the folks here that have offered their opinions and guidance. I'm not sure I could have gotten this done without your help in answering my questions directly and all of your collective posts in the past that I was able to read and glean info from. 

 

Live long and prosper........ Glenn


*caution: some tech speak here, skip if not interested*

The lip sync issue in my home (3 DVRs no companions) happens it appears when I'm watching an 'asset' (recording) that is not on the instant DVR attached to the TV I happen to be in front of. I proved it by trial and error (power strips on the other 2 DVRs). When I'm having the issue, a power off of the other DVRs (one at a time) kills the video stream and I get the 'are you having trouble' error message. If both are disconnected and i watch an asset on the current DVR there is no lip-sync issue. No issue ever in "live' viewing even in the time shift buffer area.

 

The MoCA network is used to send the m-peg4 streams from one DVR to other devices (in my case DVRs). the -meg4 has streams for video, audio, closed captions all of which are sent and assembled by the DVR that is playing the asset. There are 2 different (call it failsafe) synch signals for audio to video one is (if i recall) every 1/10th of a second, the other is once every 0.7 seconds (just over a half a second). It is possible in bad sync stream situations to have the player lock in to a stream synch several seconds away (first 0.7 synch signal it can lock on). The issue on closed-captions being so far behind in same situation is directly due to the non-priority of the stream to match the video. for mpeg all 3 streams must have the same priority so that they arrive in time to be transmitted. There is no issue of bandwidth as the 200+ PHY MoCA rate (200mb/sec+) allows 180 actual mb/sec enough to support easily the 16 possible MoCA total asset streams at the same time.

 

Hopefully since firmeware is now in hands of comcast coders they have at least one audio/technology engineer that can help set the parameters of the encoder running on the DVRs. Hopefully they will change if not already changed, to the h.264 standard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?


RickGr4 wrote:

Which Mark Twain said that???  LOL


manamok wrote:

We always like to hear about successes - I'm glad it worked out for you.  

 

To paraphrase Mark Twain - "The two most important days in your life are the day you're born and the day you get your A/V equipment working just how you want it."


 


Well the more well-known Mark Twain actually said "The two most important days in your life are the day you're born and the day you find out why."   But I'm sure if he was still around he would agree with my interpretation.

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

I have the blue circle arris dvr. I'm on 2.0. It is connected to an Oppo 105d via HDMI only.  It is currently set to surround sound.

When I hit pause and various other things, I get a massive screechy noise that must be over 10 - 15k Hz, if not even higher.  Maybe it is so high, tv speakers won't play it well, so many don't hear it, not sure. Then when the show comes on there is a loud whitenoise pop.

After much internet research this is apparently a known issue where during fast forward or pause makes the dvr go into 2.0 mode, and the upstream avr interprets 2.0 while in 5.1 mode as a super high pitched screechy noise, and the pop is the system going back into 5.1 mode. I was able to confirm that this is what is going on by looking at an onscreen readout of sound mode, and you can see it switch from 5.1 to 2.0 and back.

ComcastNeal - can they either apply a mute during such operations as fast formward or pause, or keep it in 5.1? This squeal and pop situation makes surround sound not worth it. Very painful to the head and ears. Truly a torturous sound. You should sell the process to the CIA and use those funds to fix the problem. I'm sure they would love having this technology.

I spoke to Oppo and they said that this must be fixed at the dvr side of the equation, and that they hear this all the time from several vendors, not just comcast.

Thanks!
Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Are saying your OPPO has an HDMI input and you are feeding your X1 box through that?

Knowing how weird X1 boxes can be with HDMI, it does not surprise me you are having probems with that.

Why can't you run the HDMI from the X1 box directly to your TV or AV receiver???




Lightminer wrote:
I have the blue circle arris dvr. I'm on 2.0. It is connected to an Oppo 105d via HDMI only.  It is currently set to surround sound.

When I hit pause and various other things, I get a massive screechy noise that must be over 10 - 15k Hz, if not even higher.  Maybe it is so high, tv speakers won't play it well, so many don't hear it, not sure. Then when the show comes on there is a loud whitenoise pop.

After much internet research this is apparently a known issue where during fast forward or pause makes the dvr go into 2.0 mode, and the upstream avr interprets 2.0 while in 5.1 mode as a super high pitched screechy noise, and the pop is the system going back into 5.1 mode. I was able to confirm that this is what is going on by looking at an onscreen readout of sound mode, and you can see it switch from 5.1 to 2.0 and back.

ComcastNeal - can they either apply a mute during such operations as fast formward or pause, or keep it in 5.1? This squeal and pop situation makes surround sound not worth it. Very painful to the head and ears. Truly a torturous sound. You should sell the process to the CIA and use those funds to fix the problem. I'm sure they would love having this technology.

I spoke to Oppo and they said that this must be fixed at the dvr side of the equation, and that they hear this all the time from several vendors, not just comcast.

Thanks!




Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Oh, and I do get audio dropouts as well.  

 

And, fwiw, (I know no one cares at all what I think about this) I prefer if the dvr recordings are kept local on the dvr and replayed from there.  Comcast service interruptions while fairly rare do happen and it's nice to have all of the dvr shows available.  We had a couple of days we were out a few weeks ago and I was really surprised you couldn't do anything compared to the old system.

 

oh, and I do think the 'cloud' system has made things slower to a point that is annoying.

 

ComcastNeal - another audio problem for you related to that, if I hit pause, wait a minute, and hit play because of this 'cloud slowness' audio doesn't really get going again for long enough of a delay after the video has started that you miss the first few words of what the person is saying.  This means that you have to do the 30 second rewind button for each pause -very annoying.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Rick, do you have a display of sound status in your system? When you hit pause do you drop into 2.0?

I'm wondering if you are saying a 'better box' would not drop into 2.0 or would in fact apply mute during that time?
Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Please reread my post... I updated it.
Please provide details about your connection path...


Lightminer wrote:
Rick, do you have a display of sound status in your system? When you hit pause do you drop into 2.0?

I'm wondering if you are saying a 'better box' would not drop into 2.0 or would in fact apply mute during that time?



 

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Yes, the Oppo 105d serves as a very high quality avr.  Has superb 7.1 dac and two HDMI inputs.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Sure:

 

Comcast DVR
Oppo 105d
Front l/r signals from Oppo:
supratek preamp set to pass through mode (i.e., it does nothing here)
pass labs amplifier
magnepan 3.6qr speakers
Rear r/l signals from Oppo:
old luxman 2channel amp
adiva it rear speakers
Sub signal from Oppo:
hsu vtf3-HO

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

I am familiar with OPPO but X1 boxes do not behave normally when it comes to HDMI. 

Bypass the OPPO and run the X1's HDMI directly to your receiver or to your TV. It is very possible your OPPO and X1 simply don't like each other.

FYI, Comcast would like us to believe that X1 is a high end product intended for enthusiasts but in reality it is anything but that. It is watered down for the mass public...


Lightminer wrote:

Yes, the Oppo 105d serves as a very high quality avr.  Has superb 7.1 dac and two HDMI inputs.






 

 

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

No receiver other than Oppo 105d and tv has no sound, it's an older Panny pro model, essentially a monitor.

 

I was thinking of trying optical between the dvr and Oppo but on hearing how common this was figured it would have same issue.  I loaned out my optical cable so it will be a week or so before I can test that config.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Rick - agreed about the enthusiasts comment, but I've been very surprised how good the surround is these days.  5 years ago there was only an ocasional click or clack or the obviously-there-for-ss flyover or helicopter maneuver.  When it works, modern shows have really incorporated surround fundamentally into the shows and everything sounds incredible coming through my system, very enveloping sound.

 

But then it tries to torture/kill me with the high-pitched noise!  My wife has been known to actually jump out of her chair, it really is actually painful to hear that noise.

 

If they would apply a full mute during the 2-channel period during pause all would be good!

 

Note it is possible that other systems aren't as resolving as mine and those frequencies aren't getting through most systems, but that the phenomenon is there for everyone.  I have no idea. It is at the edge of hearing, could be 18k which I know won't get through most systems.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Oh, and a lot of people don't realize the Oppo 105d is essentially a fully functional avr with two HDMI inputs, but it is!  Just lacks variable bass crossover points between front and rear speakers, otherwise it does 99% of what most high-end avrs do.  (I.e., if you set a 100 Hz crossover on rear you can't set 50 on the front, they have to be the same.  Though you can choose no crossover in front and then apply something to rear.  This is the only functional hole I've found compared to very expensive avr's.)

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

I haven't seen it mentioned in a while, but the the problem of surround sound not sticking is still here with xre 1.50.05 and stb 2.0.12!!!  According to the X1 support team, this is still an open issue.  Ugh!

Valued Contributor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?


ThomT wrote:

I haven't seen it mentioned in a while, but the the problem of surround sound not sticking is still here with xre 1.50.05 and stb 2.0.12!!!  According to the X1 support team, this is still an open issue.  Ugh!


ThomT, sorry you're seeing the surround issue with your Arris XG1.  Can you tell me how you're equpiment is connected (all HDMI/Component/Optical or a combination of the three) and what model numbers you are using for TV and surround receiver?  Also, when do you see surround revert back to stereo?  Thanks, Neal




Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?


ComcastNeal wrote:

ThomT wrote:

I haven't seen it mentioned in a while, but the the problem of surround sound not sticking is still here with xre 1.50.05 and stb 2.0.12!!!  According to the X1 support team, this is still an open issue.  Ugh!


ThomT, sorry you're seeing the surround issue with your Arris XG1.  Can you tell me how you're equpiment is connected (all HDMI/Component/Optical or a combination of the three) and what model numbers you are using for TV and surround receiver?  Also, when do you see surround revert back to stereo?  Thanks, Neal


Neal,

 

TV is connected via HDMI (supplied by Comcast) to the DVR.  It has never been disconnected since installation, almost a year ago.  I always had Surround set on the DVR since it was installed.  Surround is also set on the TV, a Panasonic plasma, model TC-P58S2.  The TV is connected via HDMI to a Panasonic Blu ray home theater, model SC-BT230.  Sound is sent from the TV to the player via ARC.  I was having lip-sync problems when sending sound to the blu ray, so I turned surround off on the TV and on the DVR to see if it would fix the lip-sync issue.  When it didn't, I set the TV back to surround and tried doing the same on the X1.  However, when I select Surround in Audio, it gets checked, but if I look at it again, it will say Stereo.  Mono stays, so I tried switch from stereo to mono to surround but surround will not stay selected.

 

Hope this helps. 

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?


ThomT wrote:

I haven't seen it mentioned in a while, but the the problem of surround sound not sticking is still here with xre 1.50.05 and stb 2.0.12!!!  According to the X1 support team, this is still an open issue.  Ugh!


I have the same issue - and the same software and firmware versions.  I have HDMI from my X1's to the TV's and optical from the X1 to my Sony receivers.  Although I get surround sound from the X1 - the X1 device settings always reads "Stereo" no matter how many times I select "Surround."

Service Expert

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?


manamok wrote:

ThomT wrote:

I haven't seen it mentioned in a while, but the the problem of surround sound not sticking is still here with xre 1.50.05 and stb 2.0.12!!!  According to the X1 support team, this is still an open issue.  Ugh!


I have the same issue - and the same software and firmware versions.  I have HDMI from my X1's to the TV's and optical from the X1 to my Sony receivers.  Although I get surround sound from the X1 - the X1 device settings always reads "Stereo" no matter how many times I select "Surround."


manamok,

 

I take it your Sony receiver doesn't support HDMI?  Does your X1 have composite?  Maybe it doesn't matter.  I'm not sure how to get surround without using HDMI from the X1 to a receiver.

 

 




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Jim,

That is because the X1 box is "auto negotiating" the HDMI audio with the next HDMI device is sees and in your case that is your TVs. Since Panasonic TVs cannot pass 5.1 audio from the HDMI inputs to the digital output, the X1 box is sensing your TV is a stereo device and it is "forcing" your X1 box to stereo.

With 2.0 firmware Comcast changed it so at least you can force the X1 box to output 5.1 audio from it's own TOSLINK digital output. Essentially, it is overriding what the settings are saying. The X1 box is still producing stereo from the HDMI output but the TOSLINK output can be "overridden" to produce 5.1 audio.

This is ThomT's problem as well. ThomT I did not read all of your posts in detail but I don't think your current hookup configuration is going to reliably produce surround audio with X1 boxes. I don't think you can use ARC and still get surround audio with X1 boxes...


manamok wrote:

ThomT wrote:

I haven't seen it mentioned in a while, but the the problem of surround sound not sticking is still here with xre 1.50.05 and stb 2.0.12!!!  According to the X1 support team, this is still an open issue.  Ugh!


I have the same issue - and the same software and firmware versions.  I have HDMI from my X1's to the TV's and optical from the X1 to my Sony receivers.  Although I get surround sound from the X1 - the X1 device settings always reads "Stereo" no matter how many times I select "Surround."







 

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?


RickGr4 wrote:

Jim,

That is because the X1 box is "auto negotiating" the HDMI audio with the next HDMI device is sees and in your case that is your TVs. Since Panasonic TVs cannot pass 5.1 audio from the HDMI inputs to the digital output, the X1 box is sensing your TV is a stereo device and it is "forcing" your X1 box to stereo.

With 2.0 firmware Comcast changed it so at least you can force the X1 box to output 5.1 audio from it's own TOSLINK digital output. Essentially, it is overriding what the settings are saying. The X1 box is still producing stereo from the HDMI output but the TOSLINK output can be "overridden" to produce 5.1 audio.


 Rick - thanks again - I understand the why - you've explained this before.  I was just concerned that Comcast Neal seemed surprised when TomT brought up the "non-sticking" issue. 





 


 

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?


RobertWy wrote:

manamok,

 

I take it your Sony receiver doesn't support HDMI?  Does your X1 have composite?  Maybe it doesn't matter.  I'm not sure how to get surround without using HDMI from the X1 to a receiver.

 

 


Robert - one of my two Sony receivers supports HDMI.  As Rick explained above - I'm getting surround sound using an optical cable from my X1's to the receivers.

Service Expert

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?


manamok wrote:
Robert - one of my two Sony receivers supports HDMI.  As Rick explained above - I'm getting surround sound using an optical cable from my X1's to the receivers.

Yep...that's how my system stays on Surround....Optical to the Receiver.... no audio to TV.....  it has stayed in Surround mode since I made that switch and am very happy!

 

-=Ray=-




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Service Expert

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

My greenie pace DVR still has surround (per receiver digital display) but the user interface menu in X1 audio always 'displays' stereo as if it was selected. I can put it into stereo and the Receiver changes to 2 channel. When I change it back goes to surround. But the user interface says still in stereo mode. I suspect it is a user interface (menu) display of the current set option (at least on this greenie).




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Valued Contributor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

Rick's statements are correct.  If you are using HDMI to a non surround compatible TV and optical to your receiver the UI will read Stereo.  This line in the settings refers to the HDMI output only, not the optical.  Optical will always output the highest level of surround possible and will not be reflected in the UI (yet).  We are working on better user interfaces for audio and that will come in a future release.  I'm working VERY closely with that team.  As for ARC, Rick is also correct.  If you send AV to a non-surround TV via HDMI it WILL NOT output surround to the TV.  I would need to hook up a setup to test with but I've never used ARC for sending set top box audio back to a receiver.  Ideally, you'd want to use a separate input on your AV reciever for the X1 box and only use audio return for things like Netflix and other apps on a smart TV that you want to hear through the surround speakers rather than the TV speakers.  Let the receiver do the heavy lifting/decoding of audio signals from the cable box, not the TV.




Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

sorry but when i pay $284 a month - i dont feel i need a phd in surround sound.  class action suit coming against comcast  aka xfinity aka - take my $$- i suppose this post will be eliminated - go ahead !

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

OK. This is the fifth time I have said this today alone...

Comcast has heard this a million times before. People threaten to leave them all the time. Comcast like all big telecom companies budget to lose a certain amount of customers every single day. It is called churn. Threatening to leave them falls on deaf ears and is pointless.

What you could do is provide details. What reading have you done in this forum? Which X1 box do you have? What brand of TV do you have? How is it connected? What research have you done?

The more details you provide, the more help you will receive.


applehazar wrote:

sorry but when i pay $284 a month - i dont feel i need a phd in surround sound.  class action suit coming against comcast  aka xfinity aka - take my $$- i suppose this post will be eliminated - go ahead !