Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

SOLVED
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 301 of 769

adam_WM wrote:

Is there something we can do to get 2.0 pushed through? It seems to have only come through on 1 of my 3 boxes (and of course, the one with surround sound isn't the one).

I would agree, that would be pretty nice.

(And Neal, easier than sending out XR8s I would think.. Smiley Happy

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 302 of 769

my "computer room" blueie Pace DVR has never been on 2.0 and did not have any black flashing and dropouts of audio (no sound bar just TV speakers). about noon, while watching a recording the picture 'froze' sound continued. then went black and would not respond to the remote. about 4 minutes later the 3 large o o o dots appeared on the screen then live tv began. checked the about screen and now it upgraded without a reboot to 1.49.04 (still firmware 1.3.4). This morning I checked the version as always and found it unchanged at 149.03 and f/w 1.3.4.

so now this TV/DVR location that has never been on f/w 2 never had black dropout of video and random audio dropouts, does have both now.

need f/w 2.0 to run 149.04? 

so far .. stutters/repeats first second of audio on recording playback 'start', drops video (to black) at random and audio just 'mutes' for a second or so randomly. and now without a reboot they can update the menu XRE version. So are reboots now necessary at night?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 303 of 769

Rustyben wrote:

my "computer room" blueie Pace DVR has never been on 2.0 and did not have any black flashing and dropouts of audio (no sound bar just TV speakers). about noon, while watching a recording the picture 'froze' sound continued. then went black and would not respond to the remote. about 4 minutes later the 3 large o o o dots appeared on the screen then live tv began. checked the about screen and now it upgraded without a reboot to 1.49.04 (still firmware 1.3.4). This morning I checked the version as always and found it unchanged at 149.03 and f/w 1.3.4.

so now this TV/DVR location that has never been on f/w 2 never had black dropout of video and random audio dropouts, does have both now.

need f/w 2.0 to run 149.04? 

so far .. stutters/repeats first second of audio on recording playback 'start', drops video (to black) at random and audio just 'mutes' for a second or so randomly. and now without a reboot they can update the menu XRE version. So are reboots now necessary at night?

I've seen mine do 'live' XRE updates however I always assumed that it was a coincidence with it losing connection.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 304 of 769

Appears I've been downgraded to 1.3.4 again:

XRE Server 1.49.04

XRE Protocol 2.8.0

Receiver 1.3.4

STB MX011An_1.3.4p5s4_PRODse

For the record, 2.0.0 didn't help to get surround sound via HDMI, and the X1 is the only device with this issue.  DirecTV, Roku, ps3, and even a PC are able to pass surround sound combined with hd video over HDMI to and through my sony av receiver.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 305 of 769

multicore wrote:
ComcastNeal wrote:

multicore wrote:

Well, I have a tech coming tomorrow and will let you know what they find if anything.

multicore, I've moved you to the latest 2.0 build.  Please test after the box reboots within the next hour and let me know if you're still seeing issues.  Thanks, Neal

I just manually re-booted my settop and the version numbers did indeed change.  I now have:
Receiver Native version: 2.0.0
STB Timestamp: Thu Feb 12 00:45:30 2015
STB Version:  PX001AN_2.0p9s1_PROD_HYBse
I will now listen for any audio cut-outs.

I listened to various stations for about 3 hours.  The good news is that I did not have nearly so many audio drop-outs.  The bad news is it is still happening.  Rather than every few minutes, it now occurs every 20 mins or so. 
Thanks ComcastNeal for the update, but it appears that there is still some work to do.

I will let you know if the tech finds anything tomorrow.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 306 of 769

I've read through several pages of audio threads here on the boards, but I apologize if I missed something because there is a lot of information.

I just got an X1 today. My setup is that the X1 connects via HDMI to an Onkyo 636, and then via HDMI from the Onkyo to an LG HDTV.

I usually watch TV with the Onkyo off and HDMI pass-through to the TV stereo speakers. For movies or primetime shows or sports, I usually turn the Onkyo on for 5.1 (7.1) sound.

This setup has always worked great on both Uverse and DirecTV over the past several years. But with xfinity, if I set the X1 to "surround," the sound is terrible. Regardless of whether it's the TV speakers with the Onkyo off, or sound systems speakers with the Onkyo on, the sound is harsh and unbalanced and I can't hear the voices. I only just got it today so I'm not sure if this problem is with all source content or just certain encodes. Turning up the volume seems to have little effect.

If I leave the X1 in stereo mode I don't have this problem. But of course then I'm only in stereo mode.

So is there a fix planned or something I can do as a workaround?

EDIT: I'm willing and able to run an optical cable to the Onkyo and configure it to use the optical cable for sound when the Onkyo is on, but pass through HDMI when it is off. But based on the behavior so far, I don't think this will solve the problem. I'd still need to set the X1 to surround, right? And therefore I'd still get terrible sound even on the TV speakers?

What I'm looking for here is what I believe virtually every other device I've ever had has done:  just send a decent digital audio signal to the receiver 2.0 or 5.1 based on content, and let it and/or the TV work out for themselves the best way to handle that signal.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 307 of 769

TheYar wrote:

I've read through several pages of audio threads here on the boards, but I apologize if I missed something because there is a lot of information.

I just got an X1 today. My setup is that the X1 connects via HDMI to an Onkyo 636, and then via HDMI from the Onkyo to an LG HDTV.

I usually watch TV with the Onkyo off and HDMI pass-through to the TV stereo speakers. For movies or primetime shows or sports, I usually turn the Onkyo on for 5.1 (7.1) sound.

This setup has always worked great on both Uverse and DirecTV over the past several years. But with xfinity, if I set the X1 to "surround," the sound is terrible. Regardless of whether it's the TV speakers with the Onkyo off, or sound systems speakers with the Onkyo on, the sound is harsh and unbalanced and I can't hear the voices. I only just got it today so I'm not sure if this problem is with all source content or just certain encodes. Turning up the volume seems to have little effect.

If I leave the X1 in stereo mode I don't have this problem. But of course then I'm only in stereo mode.

EDIT: I'm willing and able to run an optical cable to the Onkyo and configure it to use the optical cable for sound when the Onkyo is on, but pass through HDMI when it is off. But based on the behavior so far, I don't think this will solve the problem. I'd still need to set the X1 to surround, right? And therefore I'd still get terrible sound even on the TV speakers?

What I'm looking for here is what I believe virtually every other device I've ever had has done:  just send a decent digital audio signal to the receiver 2.0 or 5.1 based on content, and let it and/or the TV work out for themselves the best way to handle that signal.

What is your Receiver Native Version in Menu - Settings - About? If it's not 2.0.0 I would wait until you get that update before deciding what to do as it is supposed to solve a lot of issues with surround sound.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 308 of 769

Yup, that's what Comcast is taking forever to figure out:  it is a fool's game to try to figure out what to send devices based on feedback from those devices via HDMI.  If your system is the least bit complex, with multiple devices, splitters, etc., the HDMI protocol simply can't deal with all the permutations, or the devices don't precisely follow the rules, etc.  Much better to at least have the option of forcing the output source (the X1) to output what you know you need, rather than having it try to figure that out for you, which obviously isn't working consistently for everyone. imho

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 309 of 769

scjohnson312 wrote:

What is your Receiver Native Version in Menu - Settings - About? If it's not 2.0.0 I would wait until you get that update before deciding what to do as it is supposed to solve a lot of issues with surround sound.

It is 2.0.0. Hopefully at least true 5.1 content will sound ok in surround mode. If it does, then that means I leave it in Stereo mode and manually switch to surround when I want surround. That's a major PITA especially considering how unnecessary and unusual this all is.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 10 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 310 of 769
I agree, just today I got the 2.0 'solution' and it did 'fix' my surround not staying chosen issue. AND.........so far so good, no other audio issues
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 311 of 769

Neal, 

Back to your 11-12 post, I have the issue you eloquently describe as issue 1 - bullet 2 HDMI pass through mode and EDID. I generally concur with that comment about EDID failings and X1 being smarter than the user decides to set it the sound mode to stereo.

(Rant: from a user perspective it shouldn’t have taken 2 years to learn this detail and instead be dragged though the Comcast grist mill.  I just can’t help myself as X1 two years later is still really buggy, navigational deficient and nag message happy – the fairly recent one that pops up on every recording informing me the recording is set and that I can watch this recording anywhere with your app and that message displays for nearly 5 seconds is really a frustrating and useless one. end Rant) 

From time-to time X1 will still flip to stereo despite using SPDIF/Digital Audio.  It seems that X1 is vigilant to see stereo only but it never ever goes back to surround without me having to go hunt it down. Do I have this about right?   Doesn't it seem reasonable with its automatic hocus pocus that it does or should do both ways?

Later in this thread you mentioned Comcast was considering adding a feature to add a choice to stereo/surround and let the user select the audio stream desired regardless of EDID. Did I understand that correctly and months later is there any timetable?

-rick

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 312 of 769

I have a TX-NR626.  But I use the receiver's speakers for X1 and my Samsung BD player and my PS/3.  I never use my Samsung SmartTV speakers, so I can't tell you what to do  I do have HDMI-CEC turned off in my TV.

I can't understand why you don't want to listen to 5.1 coming from the X1.

TheYar wrote:

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 313 of 769

RobertWy wrote:

I have a TX-NR626.  But I use the receiver's speakers for X1 and my Samsung BD player and my PS/3.  I never use my Samsung SmartTV speakers, so I can't tell you what to do  I do have HDMI-CEC turned off in my TV.

I been waiting for 3 months to listen to 5.1 coming from the X1. Problem is the  audio lag present so it looks like your watching some 60' B movies all the time.
Also, My slo-motion is still not fully working, another 2.0 fix that didn't work either.
Oh, and before anyone tells me that 2.0 will fix the problem... 2.o showed up on my set top and now after waiting months for this update that was supposed to fix the lag...It did not.
I'm starting wonder how compentent Comcasts programmers are or if Comcast just pays crappy wages so they can't get good help. Maybe all the think tankers are farmed out to overseas people???!!!

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 314 of 769

16craig wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

I been waiting for 3 months to listen to 5.1 coming from the X1. Problem is the  audio lag present so it looks like your watching some 60' B movies all the time.
Also, My slo-motion is still not fully working, another 2.0 fix that didn't work either.
Oh, and before anyone tells me that 2.0 will fix the problem... 2.o showed up on my set top and now after waiting months for this update that was supposed to fix the lag...It did not.
I'm starting wonder how compentent Comcasts programmers are or if Comcast just pays crappy wages so they can't get good help. Maybe all the think tankers are farmed out to overseas people???!!!

16craig, please give me some details around how your system is hooked up and what gear you're using.  Please indicate your TV model, Surround Receiver model, and any other information you can provide.  I see you have a Pace XG1.  Can you also please tell me if you're using HDMI or component and optical for your surround (or a combination of both).  Thanks, Neal

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 315 of 769

RobertWy wrote:

Not sure if this was to me, but yeah, if you read what I wrote, the 5.1 sounds absolutely terrible and I can't hear the mids. All other sources, including Uverse and DirecTV, Xbox, Blu-ray, etc, sound great. The X1 sounds terrible. It sounds like a 5.1 signal that is only sending the left and right.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 316 of 769

On some channels it is sending only left and right channels. But it is probably the broadcast, not anything X1 is doing wrong. For example, The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful will both turn on the DD 5.1 light on my system but they are in fact broadcast in stereo. The same is true on DirecTV. Please remember that Comcast is primarily repeating what they are receiving from the networks.

When your AV receiver is receiving Dolby Digital 5.1 audio signals it should automatically switch to Dolby Digital audio. But not everything broadcast is in DD 5.1 and Comcast has no control over that. I have my receiver set to switch to Dolby Pro Logic Movie II when it is receiving PCM 2.0 (stereo) audio.

X1 boxes output only two different digital audio modes. Dolby Digital 5.1 surround audio and PCM 2.0 stereo audio. Your surround receiver handles each of those differently and you can change the settings for each one.

Sorry Yar but I think this is more of a setting issue on your sound system than it is an X1 problem.

TheYar wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

Not sure if this was to me, but yeah, if you read what I wrote, the 5.1 sounds absolutely terrible and I can't hear the mids. All other sources, including Uverse and DirecTV, Xbox, Blu-ray, etc, sound great. The X1 sounds terrible. It sounds like a 5.1 signal that is only sending the left and right.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 317 of 769

RickGr4 wrote:

Sorry Yar but I think this is more of a setting issue on your sound system than it is an X1 problem.

Well, the X1 (unlike all other common sources!) is sending him stereo instead of 5.1 because the X1 thinks it knows better.  That's the problem, not the fact that his receiver is trying to convert the stereo to some form of surround sound.  If Comcast wants to continue to waste their time playing the game of trying to anticipate every possible receiver and display device and splitter combination, then that's fine -- just give us the option to turn off their foolish code and base output on content (like every other common source device does!).

MAGIC FORMULA:  user selects stereo or surround;  if surround selected, X1 outputs surround if content supports it, else stereo

If they send me the relevant code, I'd be happy to fix it for them at no cost. Smiley Happy

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 318 of 769

If you have not already received the '2.0 firmware" is will address most (but not all) of your concerns in this area.

I have had the 2.0 firmware for some time now and I forgot that many people may not have it yet.

x1hdguy wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

Well, the X1 (unlike all other common sources!) is sending him stereo instead of 5.1 because the X1 thinks it knows better.  That's the problem, not the fact that his receiver is trying to convert the stereo to some form of surround sound.  If Comcast wants to continue to waste their time playing the game of trying to anticipate every possible receiver and display device and splitter combination, then that's fine -- just give us the option to turn off their foolish code and base output on content (like every other common source device does!).

MAGIC FORMULA:  user selects stereo or surround;  if surround selected, X1 outputs surround if content supports it, else stereo

If they send me the relevant code, I'd be happy to fix it for them at no cost. Smiley Happy

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 319 of 769

RickGr4 wrote:

If you have not already received the '2.0 firmware" is will address most (but not all) of your concerns in this area.

I have had the 2.0 firmware for some time now and I forgot that many people may not have it yet.

I had the 2.0 firmware, but it did nothing to address this issue (of being able to force the X1 to output sound based only on source, not destination).  They then downgraded me back to 1.3.4.  When the time comes that they actually fix this, I'll be sure to report back here and give them credit, but for now I regret having switched from DirecTV (other differences between the systems being a wash, imho).

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 320 of 769

x1hdguy wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

I had the 2.0 firmware, but it did nothing to address this issue (of being able to force the X1 to output sound based only on source, not destination).  They then downgraded me back to 1.3.4.  When the time comes that they actually fix this, I'll be sure to report back here and give them credit, but for now I regret having switched from DirecTV (other differences between the systems being a wash, imho).

x1hdguy wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

Ever since I got 2.0.0 on my v1 Pace greenie, I have had no problem with Surround switching back to stereo, like it did with 1.3.4.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 321 of 769

This thread began in November 2014 - it is nearly March 2015 and drop-outs still occur.  How can Comcast continue to deliver sub-standard services and charge the same amount without a fix deployed?  This is totally unacceptable and it's truly sad a company of this size would allow this to go on as long as this.  The recommendation by techs to drop to component instead of HDMI is almost comical.  If you can't handle HDMI don't have a box with HDMI plugs.  Please fix this issue.  Customers are owed this.  I want my old box back.   At least that worked with my current technology - a simple Samsung & Onkyo receiver that worked for years until X1.  

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 322 of 769

Vamora3 wrote:

This thread began in November 2014 - it is nearly March 2015 and drop-outs still occur.  How can Comcast continue to deliver sub-standard services and charge the same amount without a fix deployed?  This is totally unacceptable and it's truly sad a company of this size would allow this to go on as long as this.  The recommendation by techs to drop to component instead of HDMI is almost comical.  If you can't handle HDMI don't have a box with HDMI plugs.  Please fix this issue.  Customers are owed this.  I want my old box back.   At least that worked with my current technology - a simple Samsung & Onkyo receiver that worked for years until X1.  

When I got my X1 with my Onkyo receiver in June, 2013, surround worked.  It wasn't until later that surround stopped being "sticky".  The 2.0.0 firmware works with my Pace greenie but I understand there are still issues with other X! DVR's.  2.0.0 will be rolled out as soon as they fix those issues.

ComcastNeal, who started this thread, has been very open and helpful.  If you have read his first post, he is a specialist in this area and he is working with other Comcasters on the permanent fix.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 323 of 769

And I respect and appreciate his openness; however, a known issue affecting this many people that has not been resolved after 4 months is not acceptable.  There should be other alternatives than waiting for them to solve it.  Like - if this happened in my job I would credit people until it's resolved.  Are you getting a credit...every month until resolved?  Probably not.  

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 324 of 769

Four months???

There are threads in this forum discussing X1 audio problems dating back to May 2013. I started talking about audio dropouts in September 2013.

But the solution is very simple and it has been discussed in this forum more times than you could ever count. You need an XG1-A Arris DVR.

Vamora3 wrote:

And I respect and appreciate his openness; however, a known issue affecting this many people that has not been resolved after 4 months is not acceptable.  There should be other alternatives than waiting for them to solve it.  Like - if this happened in my job I would credit people until it's resolved.  Are you getting a credit...every month until resolved?  Probably not.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 325 of 769

LOL...I meant 4 months on this thread.  You further support my point.  To do right - Comcast should give each and every person a credit on their account until the true fix is deployed and confirmed it resolves the issue.  That would be the right thing to do.  Might light a fire when their loss statements grow due to customer credits.  If the solution is the Arris DVR why are people having issues with that too?  

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 326 of 769

Vamora you are new here. So slow down a little bit, take a deep breath and get ready to do some reading in this forum.

This is primarily a user to user forum. A handful of Comcast employees hang out here but they are extremely random as to when they get involved. When you post in this forum you cannot assume you are talking directly to a Comcast employee. Of the Comcast employees that hang out here, even fewer of them have authority over credits.

I STRONGLY suggest you use the forum search feature and read what has already been discussed about X1 audio. You will find an encyclopedia worth of information.

Vamora3 wrote:

LOL...I meant 4 months on this thread.  You further support my point.  To do right - Comcast should give each and every person a credit on their account until the true fix is deployed and confirmed it resolves the issue.  That would be the right thing to do.  Might light a fire when their loss statements grow due to customer credits.  If the solution is the Arris DVR why are people having issues with that too?  

Posted by
Contributor

Message 327 of 769

ComcastNeal wrote:

16craig wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

16craig, please give me some details around how your system is hooked up and what gear you're using.  Please indicate your TV model, Surround Receiver model, and any other information you can provide.  I see you have a Pace XG1.  Can you also please tell me if you're using HDMI or component and optical for your surround (or a combination of both).  Thanks, Neal

ComcastNeal,
We've been through this before when I posted in a thread last year about the video lag I was experiencing with the new X1 platform.

ComcastBrandon pinged my box ( http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Video-lag-sync-problems-only-present-on-Comcasts-own-Sports/m-p/2438... and that fixed the lag for a brief period of time.

I repsonded to him as you can read in the link) thanking him for sending the reset and also told him it helped for only a short time. No response back from him... I posted two more times in that thread asking for a permanent fix. To this day, I've never heard back from him.

Now here I am with you Neal, with the same problem but only 2 months later without a resolution.

I'll tell you what and with due respect towards you Neal.... below are my components... you direct me how to hook them up so it works and I will follow sans buying any new cables as the old ones worked just fine with the Legacy HDDVR. 

TV model.

Samsung PN65F8500

Receiver

Onkyo TX-NR616

1- Also, the set top still won't hold the surround setting I have selected many times, something we were told would be fixed after 2.0 rolled out.

2- AND I might add, Slo-motion still hasn't been full restored to full funcunality we used to have and just has slo-mo forward.

When will these all be fixed? I getting tired of paying my bill in full every month and not receiving what I pay for.

I think a credit would be order for all??

Thank you in advance.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 328 of 769

Just got X1 today, the primary cable box/TV/receiver seem to be working correctly however my basement setup has this "reversion to stereo" bug where it is outputing PCM instead of the correct signal. 

The problem set up is an Onkyo 304B receiver and Samsung PN60F5500 TV.  

I run HDMI to TV and optical digital to receiver.  The primary box (XG1-P) seems to be working but the "repeater" ( RNG150N)  is not staying in 5.1 when it should.

It looks like my "repeater" box is on version 1.3.3.   Is there any way to force it to firmware update to 2.0?  

Thanks for any guidance.  

And I agree with the thinking that this is a pretty sad state of affairs when this problem has been around 18 months plus and still doesn't seem to be solved.  Hopefully the firmware update will fix it but it seems that the boxes should be delivered with the most current firmware or at least update automatically once connected.  Maybe it will but just hasn't yet.  

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 329 of 769

There could be a bunch of things going on here but the first problem is your connections. Samsung TVs like most other current TVs do not pass 5.1 audio from the HDMI inputs to the optical output on your TV. They strip the signal down to stereo. At this point your Samsung TV is the problem, not the X1 box.

If your AV receiver does not have HDMI inputs you need to run the optical cable straight from the X1 box to your receiver. It cannot go through the TV.

FYI, the "2.0 update" for X1 Companion boxes is delayed and it might be awhile. However at this point, your connections are the problem, not the update.

firstthird wrote:

Just got X1 today, the primary cable box/TV/receiver seem to be working correctly however my basement setup has this "reversion to stereo" bug where it is outputing PCM instead of the correct signal. 

The problem set up is an Onkyo 304B receiver and Samsung PN60F5500 TV.  

I run HDMI to TV and optical digital to receiver.  The primary box (XG1-P) seems to be working but the "repeater" ( RNG150N)  is not staying in 5.1 when it should.

It looks like my "repeater" box is on version 1.3.3.   Is there any way to force it to firmware update to 2.0?  

Thanks for any guidance.  

And I agree with the thinking that this is a pretty sad state of affairs when this problem has been around 18 months plus and still doesn't seem to be solved.  Hopefully the firmware update will fix it but it seems that the boxes should be delivered with the most current firmware or at least update automatically once connected.  Maybe it will but just hasn't yet.  

Posted by
Visitor

Message 330 of 769

"If your AV receiver does not have HDMI inputs you need to run the optical cable straight from the X1 box to your receiver. It cannot go through the TV."

I apparently wasn't clear enough in my first post.  I already have it set up how you suggest.  Both HDMI and optical out of the X1 box to the TV and receiver respectively.    

My primary cablebox (an XG1-P) is set up the same way, has the 2.0 firmware, and works correctly.

The "repeater box" (RNG150N) has 1.3.3 firmware and isn't working correctly.  

Not good news though that 2.0 isn't going to get pushed to my box automatically.  

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 331 of 769

So you are saying you have HDMI going out of the X1 box into your receiver first then out of your receiver to the TV? If that is the case is should work and the optical cable is not needed, in fact it might be the problem.

However I am not sure if 1.3.3 is the correct firmware for the Companion box. Unplug it and reboot it. If there is an update available on the server it should update. However like In said earlier, 2.0 is not available for Companion boxes but 1.3.4 might be.

On the other hand, the X1 Companion boxes have always had surround audio problems and I would never recommend that anyone should have one in a nice AV system. Even if the surround audio works right, they are known to have audio sync problems.

Are you able to swap your box locations? If not you may need to swap that Companion box with another X1 DVR.

firstthird wrote:

"If your AV receiver does not have HDMI inputs you need to run the optical cable straight from the X1 box to your receiver. It cannot go through the TV."

I apparently wasn't clear enough in my first post.  I already have it set up how you suggest.  Both HDMI and optical out of the X1 box to the TV and receiver respectively.    

My primary cablebox (an XG1-P) is set up the same way, has the 2.0 firmware, and works correctly.

The "repeater box" (RNG150N) has 1.3.3 firmware and isn't working correctly.  

Not good news though that 2.0 isn't going to get pushed to my box automatically.  

Posted by
Visitor

Message 332 of 769

Thanks.  I'll try the reboot.  Swapping boxes isn't really a player because I have a receiver/5.1 or more set up in both locations.  

From X1 HDMI to TV.  From X1 optical digtial to receiver.   So no pass through the TV or receiver.

It is an older/cheaper receiver so HDMI to receiver isn't a player.

Funny you mention the sync, I did notice a nasty delay when I did get 5.1 dolby digital to work.  

Was hoping that 2.0 firmware would fix both issues.  I'll try the reboot and see, I guess if that doesn't work then I'll check into getting another DVR X1 box rather than a repeater.  

Appreciate the assistance. 

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 333 of 769

Sorry but your posts have not been clear.

Your current situation is the worst case senario for the X1 Companion boxes and it is not going to work. You have four choices:

1. Swap the Companion box for a second X1 DVR. FYI, it's worth it.
2. Buy an AV receiver with HDMI inputs.
3. Use component connections instead of HDMI.
4. Deal with it until the 2.0 update for Companion boxes arrives. 

firstthird wrote:

Thanks.  I'll try the reboot.  Swapping boxes isn't really a player because I have a receiver/5.1 or more set up in both locations.  

From X1 HDMI to TV.  From X1 optical digtial to receiver.   So no pass through the TV or receiver.

It is an older/cheaper receiver so HDMI to receiver isn't a player.

Funny you mention the sync, I did notice a nasty delay when I did get 5.1 dolby digital to work.  

Was hoping that 2.0 firmware would fix both issues.  I'll try the reboot and see, I guess if that doesn't work then I'll check into getting another DVR X1 box rather than a repeater.  

Appreciate the assistance. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 334 of 769

After the reboot (power supply disconnected and reconnected) the X1 Companion box updated to version 1.3.4.  

This appears to have solved my problem (knock on wood).  The receiver is now getting Dolby 5.1.  I tried saved material, different channels, receiver off and back on, and it seemed to stay locked on with the cable box delivering appropriated digital sound out of the optical to the receiver.  

I guess I'll watch it and see how it does before upgradeing to a second X1 DVR box, although the inability to pause/rewind live TV is a little bit of a bummer, not worth extra $ per month, assuming the sound situation stays viable. 

One difference I noticed between 1.3.3 and 1.3.4 is under the menu > settings > device > audio the menu has changed. under 1.3.3 only stereo and surround are options.  1.3.4 gives an additional option of mono, which is the same as the version 2.0.0 does on my main box.  I suspect the 1.3.4 maybe got the 2.0.0 sound treatment or something.  Anyway, happy it is working without another technician visit or box swap.  

Thanks for the help.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 335 of 769

I stumbled onto something that may help others if they were having the same audio issue with sometimes there being no sound at all output via X1 box.  The only way I could regain the sound was having to reboot the X1 box by unplugging from wall each time or holding button on front for hard reset.

To recap, I have X1 box connected via HDMI to receiver and HDMI out going from receiver to TV.  I have been suffering through this problem for several months.

Recently, when having the no audio issue, I discovered that if I go into the X1 menu "settings" and change the video resolution to "1080i" from "720p" the audio suddenly returns! 

The weird thing is I want my video output to be 1080i but for some reason it keeps reverting back to 720p and I am finding I have to manually change it almost every day when I view TV through my X1 box.

Maybe this "trick" can help somebody else who is not receiving audio from their X1 box.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 336 of 769

16craig wrote:

ComcastNeal wrote:

16craig wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

ComcastNeal,
We've been through this before when I posted in a thread last year about the video lag I was experiencing with the new X1 platform.

ComcastBrandon pinged my box ( http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Video-lag-sync-problems-only-present-on-Comcasts-own-Sports/m-p/2438... and that fixed the lag for a brief period of time.

I repsonded to him as you can read in the link) thanking him for sending the reset and also told him it helped for only a short time. No response back from him... I posted two more times in that thread asking for a permanent fix. To this day, I've never heard back from him.

Now here I am with you Neal, with the same problem but only 2 months later without a resolution.

I'll tell you what and with due respect towards you Neal.... below are my components... you direct me how to hook them up so it works and I will follow sans buying any new cables as the old ones worked just fine with the Legacy HDDVR. 

TV model.

Samsung PN65F8500

Receiver

Onkyo TX-NR616

1- Also, the set top still won't hold the surround setting I have selected many times, something we were told would be fixed after 2.0 rolled out.

2- AND I might add, Slo-motion still hasn't been full restored to full funcunality we used to have and just has slo-mo forward.

When will these all be fixed? I getting tired of paying my bill in full every month and not receiving what I pay for.

Thank you in advance.

Hi 16craig.  Thanks for the link to the post from December.  Let me dig in a bit now and see what I can find.  

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 337 of 769

ComcastNeal wrote:

16craig wrote:

ComcastNeal wrote:

16craig wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

ComcastNeal,

TV model.

Samsung PN65F8500

Receiver

Onkyo TX-NR616

Thank you in advance.

Hi 16craig.  Thanks for the link to the post from December.  Let me dig in a bit now and see what I can find.  

16craig I have a few questions for you.

1) Please indicate how your system is wired today.  I recommend using all HDMI to start.  You should come out of your Pace XG1 HDMI and go directly into the Onkyo 616 receiver.  From the receiver to the TV should also be HDMI.

2) Do you have "HDMI Through" disabled in your Onkyo 616's settings?  This can be found on page 66 of the receiver's manual.  I've also included the process to disable this function here:

-From http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/SN29401019_TX-NR616_En_web.pdf

-To gain access to these menus use your Onkyo remote.  Press "Receiver" > HOME > ARROW TO SETUP > ENTER

-"HDMI Through" should be "OFF" for all inputs (or at LEAST the input you're using for your X1 box).  

-"Audio TV Out" should be "OFF"

-You also have a "Lip Sync" option here.  Let's turn that off (for now) too, so we have a baseline to test with.

-“HDMI Control(RIHD)” should also be set to "OFF"

-You should also ensure you're receiver's firmware is current.  Use your Onkyo's remote and press "Receiver" > HOME > ARROW TO Firmware Update > ENTER > Select “Update via NET” and press ENTER > Select “Update” and press ENTER.

Please confirm your setup is wired as per my recommendation and you've walked through the Onkyo's setup as per my suggestions here and we'll move to the next steps as required.  Thanks, Neal

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 338 of 769

multicore wrote:

multicore wrote:
ComcastNeal wrote:

multicore wrote:

Well, I have a tech coming tomorrow and will let you know what they find if anything.

multicore, I've moved you to the latest 2.0 build.  Please test after the box reboots within the next hour and let me know if you're still seeing issues.  Thanks, Neal

I just manually re-booted my settop and the version numbers did indeed change.  I now have:

I listened to various stations for about 3 hours.  The good news is that I did not have nearly so many audio drop-outs.  The bad news is it is still happening.  Rather than every few minutes, it now occurs every 20 mins or so. 
Thanks ComcastNeal for the update, but it appears that there is still some work to do.

I wanted to report back in after a visit from a Comcast tech. 

First, it was suggest I replace a couple of old coax cable runs, which I did.

This had no effect on the audio drop-outs or anything else for that matter.

Then the Pace box with the green power button was replaced with a newer Arris box with a blue power button.

STB Version: PX013AN_2.0p9s1_PROD_HYBse

The new STB has shown improvement over the former box which also had the latest FW.

I am now down to audio drop-outs of approx. 1 per hour.

So, a little better but the issue is still there.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 339 of 769

multicore wrote:

multicore wrote:

multicore wrote:
ComcastNeal wrote:

multicore wrote:

Then the Pace box with the green power button was replaced with a newer Arris box with a blue power button.

The new STB has shown improvement over the former box which also had the latest FW.

That's another Pace, not an Arris.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 340 of 769

scjohnson312 wrote:

multicore wrote:

multicore wrote:

multicore wrote:
ComcastNeal wrote:

multicore wrote:

That's another Pace, not an Arris.

Thanks for letting me know, I was told by the tech it was Arris.

How does one tell the differance betwen the models in the STB version?

And, do you think I will have better success with the Arris?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 341 of 769

Comcast has pushed out yet another "new" and "improved" (NOT TO ME) release on or about 2-19 and I think this must be the 2.0 version that is refereed to herein. The X1 display provides:

Release: 1.49.09

XRE: protocol 2.0,

Receiver: 2.0

STB: version PX009AN2.0…

X1 is connected direct to the Sony DN1030 receiver with HDMI and TOSLINK.

Since the upgrade 5.1 has been murdered and no amount of tilting into the wind, twirling, power cycling seems to able restore 5.1, which is different than in the past.  If I select Surround from X1 menu, the receiver notes this and displays LPCM and we get stereo.   The Surround setting of course doesn't stick.

I was annoyed enough over 2 years ago to learn the Comcast can't figure out how to push 5.1 though HDMI that caused me to add TOSLINK (digital optical) cable.

-rick  

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 342 of 769

Rick,

I am surprised about this. Sounds like you have Pace DVR... I have three Arris DVR with a slightly older version of 2.0 and it works fine. What I am seeing is this:

1. If you select surround in the X1 settings and it goes back to stereo, that means the X1 box is auto detecting the HDMI audio capabilities of your TV as stereo. That is why the check keeps going back to stereo.
2. However, if you highlight surround in the X1 settings and click on it, the TOSLINK output will change to surround audio and it will stick there.

At least that is what I am seeing.

Does your receiver have HDMI inputs? If it does and you aren't using them, you should. It would solve your issues.

The situation where X1 boxes seem to have the most trouble is people that have AV receiver with HDMI inputs. X1 boxes don't always handle audio right when running HDMI from the X1 box directly to the TV. 2.0 was supposed to help with this.

rgm6027 wrote:

Comcast has pushed out yet another "new" and "improved" (NOT TO ME) release on or about 2-19 and I think this must be the 2.0 version that is refereed to herein. The X1 display provides:

Since the upgrade 5.1 has been murdered and no amount of tilting into the wind, twirling, power cycling seems to able restore 5.1, which is different than in the past.  If I select Surround from X1 menu, the receiver notes this and displays LPCM and we get stereo.   The Surround setting of course doesn't stick.

I was annoyed enough over 2 years ago to learn the Comcast can't figure out how to push 5.1 though HDMI that caused me to add TOSLINK (digital optical) cable.

-rick  

rgm6027 wrote:

-rick  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 343 of 769

Rick,

Your guess that I have a Pace box is correct, sorry to have omitted that detail.  

I do output HDMI from X1 to receiver then to TV. Several years ago that configuration would result in no 5.1 and  that's why TOSLINK crept in as it did for many users as the only way to restore 5.1 functionality.

I do agree with your analysis that you make in point 1 but the autodetecting is failing at my receiver as the X1 cabled direct to the receiver.

I don't  understand your instruction in point 2 and how it is different from selecting surround referred to in your point 1. This might be a moot point (as 5.1 is now working) but I am interested to understand the differences between point 1 &  2 in selecting surround.  All I can do is navigate to surround, ok, naviage to mono, stereo, surround and select choice by clicking ok.  Never have undertood how TOSLINK became the active cable and had assumed it somehow figured it out...

Does your comment:

"Does your receiver have HDMI inputs? If it does and you aren't using them, you should. It would solve your issues."

imply that Comcast has fixed the no 5.1 via HDMI on Pace boxes?    

I did go back through my settings and I discovered despite having no use for Control over HDMI that it was toggled on, toggling it off has seemingly restored 5.1.   I don't  understand why this should make a difference but I don't need to.   BTW 5.1 worked fine with this feature toggled on prior to this 2.0 version...

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 344 of 769

Make it easy on yourself and swap that Pace DVR out for an Arris DVR. The Arris DVR is not perfect but it does not have the surround audio issues the early Pace boxes do. Please read something I posted in this forum a couple days ago:

Currently there are four X1 DVRs in circulation:

1. Original Pace or what I call the Pace greenie (XG1-P, Green power light with component outputs). You don't want one. Well known audio drops out and surround audio problems.

2. Arris (XG1-A, blue power light with no component outputs) I have three of these and they remain my X1 DVR of choice. The Arris DVR has the fewest "faults" of the X1 DVRs. It's one weak spot remains IR remote control performance. It would seem the Arris does not like being located near glass doors or glass shelves. A few people of reported the Arris is functionally slower but that is not the case in the MSP market and I have always disagreed with this assessment. For me, the Arris DVR INSTANTLY solved the audio drop out and surround audio problems the Pace greenie had.

3. Newer Pace or what I call the Pace Blueie (XG1-P, blue power light with component outputs) My best buddy has a Pace blueie and he thinks it works fine. He has not noticed any issues with it nor have I. I have used his Pace Blueie extensively. I can confirm the Pace blueie is no faster than the Arris, at least in the MSP market.

4. Newest Pace or "V3" (XG1-P with blue power light and no component outputs). The V3 Pace was released with an early version of the 2.0 firmware and that may have been a mistake. Early reports have said the ethernet port is partly open but making a network connection to the V3 Pace is causing problems. There may be other issues with the V3 Pace. If for some reason anyone has an ethernet connection on their V3 Pace I strongly suggest they disconnect it. I have not used a V3 Pace myself but from the few reports I have heard about it, I do not recommend it.

The Arris DVR (XG1-A) has been around for a little over a year now. I believe it has the fewest faults and drawbacks of all the X1 DVRs. It remains the X1 DVR I have and the only one I will recommend. For those you that need component outputs, I have no big concerns about the Pace Blueie.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 345 of 769
This is an unfortunate suggestion. New to posting; not new to reading. Indicating I'm new and to slow down is demotivating for others to join into discussions. I, for one, hope that does not occur. A known issue that has not been resolved for this length of time has run its course. At some point there has to be solutions provided outside forcing customers to continue swapping equipment. Would this long standing, unresolved issue be acceptable in your workplace? It would not be in mine. It's not inappropriate to look for the same level of customer service those of us provide in the workplace from Comcast. The encyclopedia of solutions in forums and even through their associates encompass some basic, but downgrading technological options (HDMI to component) or again spending more time to change out a box. In my case that would be the 3rd time. While I am appreciative of Neal and his communication by way of the forum it is right and justified to ask for a permanent solution or for Comcast to refund either the cost of the DVR or a % each month back its consumers until that time resolution exists.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 346 of 769

It's been awhile since I tried to get an Aris here in the Chicago suburbs and at that time they claimed they didn't have them.  I will give it another whirl as I have the Pace greenie.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 347 of 769

Comcast would like us to believe that all X1 DVRs are the same and I understand why. The problem is the that is simply not the case. They have subtle differences that in the right surroundings those subtle differences can evolve into being much larger differences.

I know this is a very strong thing to say but IN MY OPINION the original Pace greenie is a POS and I would do what ever I needed to do in order to get rid of it.

I recently learned (not from this forum) that Comcast is quietly trying to replace Pace greenies and get them out of peoples houses.

rgm6027 wrote:

It's been awhile since I tried to get an Aris here in the Chicago suburbs and at that time they claimed they didn't have them.  I will give it another whirl as I have the Pace greenie.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 348 of 769

Rick,

Do you know if the different flavors of Pace or the Arris X1 boxes use the same IR codes?

Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge, Comcast (and CEO Roberts) should be embarrassed (but they won't be) that a user is the go to solution provider...

-rick

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 349 of 769

Rick,

They appear to use the same IR codes but the answer to your question is not that simple. X1 boxes can respond to more than one set of IR codes and Comcast has been playing games with those IR codes.

When I first got X1 in September 2013, X1 boxes would not respond to the old silver remote. But somewhere along the line that changed. For most of 2014, X1 boxes would respond to the old silver remote. HOWEVER it would appear with the 2.0 firmware changed it again. My old silver remotes no longer control my X1 boxes. Nor do I care.

I am a veteran of the AV industry and many years ago I learned the value of higher end programmable and universal remote controls. I have a wide assortment of Harmony and URC remote controls. When I read in this forum about all the problems that people have with the Comcast remotes I can only chuckle because I know how ridiculously easy it is to find a FAR more capable solution.

I have three systems in my house with X1 boxes. My current remote of choice is the Harmony 900. Even though I have three entirely different systems in my house, I have my three Harmony 900s programmed to control them identically. Once you learn one of them, you have learned all of them. The value of this cannot be underestimated.

The moral to my rant is people have NO IDEA what they are missing until they try a properly programmed universal remote.

The Harmony 650 is readily available for under $50 and it is a VASTLY better solution than any of the Comcast remotes...

rgm6027 wrote:

Rick,

Do you know if the different flavors of Pace or the Arris X1 boxes use the same IR codes?

Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge, Comcast (and CEO Roberts) should be embarrassed (but they won't be) that a user is the go to solution provider...

-rick

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 350 of 769

Couldn't agree more, long-time Harmony One and a 900 user - all sadly discontinued along the way.  but your right as a a product line they all beat the tar out of any Comcast remote.