Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

SOLVED
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 751 of 776

I have mine set up to pass the X1 signal through my receiver.  The receiver then outputs 5.1 and the TV signal is sent to my TV and the TV upconverts the X1 singal to 1080p.

I think you need to change the way yours is wired.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 752 of 776

Robert - i do what you suggest.  What i have found out is the comcast signal to the receiver does not provide as much sound separation as the internet feed - ie amazon or netflix.  Further blu ray gives way better surround sound than the comcast channels. - just my 2 cents.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 753 of 776

@brianjsw - The XG1-A will output 5.1 but there might be other things at play preventing it.   I and others also notice very different sound based on channel and even the program/movie you are watching.   If you look way back in this forum it's been discussed.   The Device=>Audio settings allow you to choose between Stereo and 5.1 Sound (Surround Sound).  But the device also checks the capability of the next device connected to it.  If it is connected via HDMI to a TV that only has stereo speakers it will revert back to stereo.   If you have your X1 box connected to a Audio Receiver and then the TV and speakers are connected to the Audio Receiver, the receiver is capable of 5.1 or better but the X1 might detect the TV at the end of the line and revert back to Stereo.    The Audio Receiver hopefully will have a setting that prevents the X1 from seeing the TV - turn passthru off on the Audio Receiver.

Some people say they do also receive surround sound with the Stereo setting on the X1.  This is the mystery to me and maybe someone will explain why this occurs.  I'd think Stereo is Stereo and therefor not 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1.  

Even with the recent changes of Surround Sound top 5.1 I'm still experiencing the periodic sound fade (sounds goes low for a couple seconds and then returns to normal).

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 754 of 776

lztf37 wrote:

Even with the recent changes of Surround Sound top 5.1 I'm still experiencing the periodic sound fade (sounds goes low for a couple seconds and then returns to normal).

Is your X1 box connected to an AVR?  If so, does it have Audyssey Dynamic Volume?  Is it enabled?

If so, that's why you are experiencing sound fade.  It's because of the hiccups/glitches in the X1 surround audio stream which Audyssey cannot account for.  If you disable Dynamic Volume, the sound "fade" goes away and you'll get full blown dropouts instead.  I find the dropouts easier to listen to than the constant "fade" in volume.

That said, I've been outputting Stereo from my X1 box for months as it's WAAAAY less problematic than surround.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 755 of 776

Thanks for the tip.  Dynamic Volume was set to "Light".  I turned it off and we'll see how it works.   One thing I did notice is the sound level dropped about 40% I had to increase the volume significantly.

You say you have yours set to Stereo. I agree it's less problems but are you able to utilize at least a 5.1 speaker system?   When I set mine to Stereo sound only comes out the two front speakers.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 756 of 776

lztf37 wrote:

Thanks for the tip.  Dynamic Volume was set to "Light".  I turned it off and we'll see how it works.   One thing I did notice is the sound level dropped about 40% I had to increase the volume significantly.

You say you have yours set to Stereo. I agree it's less problems but are you able to utilize at least a 5.1 speaker system?   When I set mine to Stereo sound only comes out the two front speakers.

Dynamic Volume is definitely responsibility for the volume fade.  This only happens when there are errors in the audio stream.  I have no issues on any of my other devices (Apple TV, Blu-Ray player, Roku, etc.) - only the X1 (when outputting surround).

Yes, you'll have to increase the volume level when turning off Dynamic Volume.  I prefer to use Dynamic Volume, but Dynamic Volume doesn't work so well when their are dropouts in the audio stream.  Therefore I use Dynamic Volume + stereo output from the X1.

I currently have my X1 box set to output stereo and I use Dynamic Volume on the Day/Light setting.  I have zero issues with this configuration.  No more dropouts or audio fade and no lip-sync issues.  I have terrible lip-sync issues with surround for the past few months - not sure why.

I have my AVR set to use Dolby PLII so that it does simulated surround when it receives a stereo signal.  This is a big improvement in dialogue since the center channel gets used this way.  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 757 of 776

you said - I have terrible lip-sync issues with surround for the past few months - not sure why - i also get this from time to time on dvr play - what i then do is fast forward for a couple of seconds then rewind - it seems to fix the lip-sync problem.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 758 of 776

I just set up my XiD-P set top box.  Picture fine but it's not outputting surround sound.  I have double checked everything.  Customer service was no help.  Do I need a different cable box? 

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 759 of 776
Rebuhrman,

We need know specifics about your gear and how it is connected in order to answer your questions.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 760 of 776

Sure.  I'm going HDMI Out of the set top box > to my Pioneer receiver. (VSX-1018AH).  I'm only getting stereo audio.  Can't get actual Standard Surround, such as Dolby Digital. Have tried lots of channels/programs that I think should be broadcasting in Surround.  This has worked in the past with other Comcast HD boxes.  I've checked all settings on my receiver.  The receiver gives me actual Surround sound from other HDMI sources when they are plugged into the very same HDMI input, so I feel that it's just not coming out of the set top box.  Thanks for you help!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 761 of 776

rebuhrman wrote:

Sure.  I'm going HDMI Out of the set top box > to my Pioneer receiver. (VSX-1018AH).  I'm only getting stereo audio.  Can't get actual Standard Surround, such as Dolby Digital. Have tried lots of channels/programs that I think should be broadcasting in Surround.  This has worked in the past with other Comcast HD boxes.  I've checked all settings on my receiver.  The receiver gives me actual Surround sound from other HDMI sources when they are plugged into the very same HDMI input, so I feel that it's just not coming out of the set top box.  Thanks for you help!

did you change HDMI audio settings? xfinity button >> gear(settings) >> Device Settings >> Audio >> HDMI Audio Output 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 762 of 776

did you change HDMI audio settings? xfinity button >> gear(settings) >> Device Settings >> Audio >> HDMI Audio Output 

Thanks.  I don't have those options.  I have "Audio Setup", which only controls which language. And I have "HDMI Setup", which just deals with picture resolution and aspect ratio.

FYI, I am getting sound from the HDMI, just not real Surround sound.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 763 of 776
Hopefully the X1 box is set to surround audio in the device settings.

Are you sure the input assignments are set correctly on the Pioneer?
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 764 of 776

Hopefully the X1 box is set to surround audio in the device settings.

I can't find any device setting for that on the box.
Are you sure the input assignments are set correctly on the Pioneer?

Yes I'm confident that the Pioneer is set correctly. I am getting picture and sound thru the Pioneer HDMI.
I'm wondering if my XiD-P has capability to output actual surround sound, e.g. Dolby Digital

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 765 of 776
Unplug and reboot your X1 box.
If you have an RF connection I would disconnect it.

Make sure the X1 box is set to HD resolution (720p or higher).
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 766 of 776

Unplug and reboot your X1 box. 

Done.
If you have an RF connection I would disconnect it.

Done.
Make sure the X1 box is set to HD resolution (720p or higher).

Done.  No change.  But I appreciate the help!

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 767 of 776
Swap the box for an XG2. It's the same price and a better box.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 768 of 776

Swap the box for an XG2. It's the same price and a better box.

I will do that and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 769 of 776

Got the XG2 box and everything works perfectly.  Thanks!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 770 of 776

I have read through most of this thread and based on what I've read I don't think there is a good solution but I'm hoping I missed something Smiley Happy

I have my Samsung Plasma connected to my Sonos with the digital out.  I have three devices connected to my Samsung via HDMI:

Apple TV - This is set to pass Dolby Digital and I can verify in the TV that it is receiving a DD signal (Dolby is a selectable option) and I can verify on my Sonos app that the Playbar is receiving a DD signal.

Xbox One S - Ditto.  TV passes DD no problem and Sonos confirms a DD signal.

Xfinity X1 - There is no way to set a Dolby Digital output becuase it seems to be auto-sensing stereo and not allowing any other options.  Sonos confirms a stereo signal even on channels that I know can send DD.

Perhaps you can say this is the TVs problem for somehow responding to the auto-detect as a stereo device but the fact that the X1 box doesn't allow me to override this is far too limiting.  All other devices work as expected.  Any suggestions other than creating an octopus of wiring with an optical switcher?

Thanks,

Jeff

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 771 of 776
Comcast removed the "auto detection" you mentioned quite some time ago.

Something else is wrong. Which X1 box are you talking about?

FYI I have a Playbar. I was using a remote controlled optical switch box. I programmed the switch box into my Harmony 900 so it is completely automatic and invisible to the user.

I decided that I needed more HDMI inputs on that particular TV so I replaced the optical switch box with a remote controlled HDMI switch box that also has on optical output for the Playbar. Once again I programmed the switch box into my Harmony 900 and once again the box is totally automatic and invisible to the user.

Obviously I get Dolby Digital 5.1 from the X1 box...
Posted by
New Poster

Message 772 of 776

My device is listed as a Pace PX013ANM.  I'm not sure what else could be happening but I'm open to any and all suggestions.  

When I first purchsed the Samsung Plasma it didn't pass 5.1 from HDMI inputs and I had a setup with a HDMI switch.  They released a firmware update years ago that fixed the 5.1 pass through and I was able to simplify my wiring.  I also had frequent issues with the switch and I tried three different models.  Overly complex and I want to avoid going back to that.

The only options I see in the setup menu for my Xfinity box are stereo and auto-detect (stereo).  Again, other sources are passing 5.1 and I have confirmed that with Sonos.  Any and all suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 773 of 776

jjonesx86 wrote:

My device is listed as a Pace PX013ANM.  I'm not sure what else could be happening but I'm open to any and all suggestions.  

When I first purchsed the Samsung Plasma it didn't pass 5.1 from HDMI inputs and I had a setup with a HDMI switch.  They released a firmware update years ago that fixed the 5.1 pass through and I was able to simplify my wiring.  I also had frequent issues with the switch and I tried three different models.  Overly complex and I want to avoid going back to that.

The only options I see in the setup menu for my Xfinity box are stereo and auto-detect (stereo).  Again, other sources are passing 5.1 and I have confirmed that with Sonos.  Any and all suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks.

If the auto-detect is only showing (stereo), then the X1 box is detecting that the next device in the chain only accepts stereo as an input.  Is the next device in the chain your Samsung plasma?  Or do you have an AVR or switch in the chain?

The only thing I can suggest if your X1 is connected directly to your TV is to reboot the X1 box while the TV is powered on.  Sometimes the X1 boxes don't properly "see" what the next device is capable of if that device is powered off when the X1 box reboots (which occurs every night).  If that doesn't fix your issue, there is nothing you can do - your display and the X1 box are simply miscommunicating.  Nothing you can do about that.

That said, you can force 5.1 from the optical/SPDIF connection in the settings on the X1 box if you really need/want to and route the audio over optical instead.  Personally, I think that surround sound works terribly on the X1 boxes so I use stereo anyway despite having a very nice 5.1 system.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 774 of 776

Thanks for the quick responses.

Nothing is inbetween, the X1 goes directly to the TV.  I was hoping there was a known way to override this auto-detect behavior with HDMI.  I don't need the box trying to outsmart me...I know what the TV can pass through Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Jeff

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 775 of 776

jjonesx86 wrote:

Thanks for the quick responses.

Nothing is inbetween, the X1 goes directly to the TV.  I was hoping there was a known way to override this auto-detect behavior with HDMI.  I don't need the box trying to outsmart me...I know what the TV can pass through Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Jeff

Yeah, there is no way to force the X1 box to output a particular signal and override the auto-detect unfortunately.  Also, I was making revisions to my post above while you were responding if you want to take a look again.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 776 of 776

Thanks!  Good to know that I may not be missing out on much if the surround output is problematic.  I'm using cable less and less anyway...