Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

SOLVED
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 451 of 776

I think I know what is going on but I need to know exactly what TV you are talking about, what outboard audio components are involved and how it is all connected.

depputylynch wrote:

I have a Pace XG1v1 DVR and the Pace Xi3 satallites. My problem is that when I watch a program using On Demand it will not play in Surround Sound.

Works perfect on the main XG1v1 box but not the satellites.

Everything works fine on live or recorded programs just not the On Demand on the Xi3s!

Is this a known proplem or what setting can I change to fix it?

Please help.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 452 of 776
I don't see how everything being connected helps since it works perfectly other than on demand. Also when I hook it up exactly the same but with the main box it works. Only difference then is the box.
Here goes. I have the Xi3 going into a Vizio tv then the optical cable coming out of it into a Sony receiver.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 453 of 776

depputylynch wrote:
I don't see how everything being connected helps since it works perfectly other than on demand. Also when I hook it up exactly the same but with the main box it works. Only difference then is the box.
Here goes. I have the Xi3 going into a Vizio tv then the optical cable coming out of it into a Sony receiver.

Did you read the first post in this thread?  

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 454 of 776
I have heard that only sony tv's will transfer out a true audio signal. If thats true then all other tv's convert the audio to stereo going out. Try going from the comcast box to the receiver and then the receiver to the tv and see if that works better

Sent from my iPhone
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 455 of 776

The reason I asked is very simple. Not all TV's pass surround audio from the HDMI inputs to the digital audio outputs. Sony and Vizio are two of the only companies that are known to pass 5.1 audio: http://www.cnet.com/news/20-tvs-tested-which-sets-can-pass-surround-sound-to-a-sound-bar/

You may want to swap your X1 box locations to confirm if your particular Vizio can pass 5.1 audio.

It should be noted that not all Comcast On Demand material has surround audio. What would happen if you started a movie on your main box, confirmed it had surround audio then stopped it and started playing the exact same movie on your Xi3?

I seem to recall the RNG-150 "Companion" box having a similar issue. It was a contributing reason as to why I got rid of Companion boxes all together. As you may know, Comcast has two different Companion boxes and I have issues with both of them. That is one of the reasons I pay extra to have three Arris DVRs.

If you have your main DVR and your Xi3 both set to surround audio and the problem continues, there may be no fix for this other than getting rid of the Companion boxes having multiple X1 DVRs.

depputylynch wrote:

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 456 of 776
I bow to ricks knowledge. I didn't realize visio worked like sony. U learn something everyday.....

Sent from my iPhone
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 457 of 776

I just read in the CNET article that they had to change a setting to get the Vizio TV to pass 5.1 audio.

Robert, I am not sure if Neal's original post applies to the OP's situation. Also the 2.0 firmware now outdates some of Neal's information.

depputylynch wrote:

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 458 of 776
Yes, I have swapped out the companion boxes, as noted above, keeping everything else the same, and the main box pushes the surround sound through when using On Demand. It only happens with the companion boxes; all 3 that I have!
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 459 of 776
To RobertWy what am I missing in the first post or any others that I have searched?
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 460 of 776

It is very possible that what you are experiencing is the current normal and other than swapping out Xi3's for additional X1 DVRs there may be nothing you can do about this.

depputylynch wrote:
Yes, I have swapped out the companion boxes, as noted above, keeping everything else the same, and the main box pushes the surround sound through when using On Demand. It only happens with the companion boxes; all 3 that I have!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 461 of 776

Just background on the X1 Audio issues.  As Rick said, some issues have been addressed.  The Xi3 is a new factor and I don't have one so I don't know from experience what it can an can't do.

Maybe some of the Xi3 threads might help you.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels%2Clocation&location=forum-b...

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 462 of 776
That's what I'm trying to figure out if it is a Xi3 problem as I think it is. Using another full box with DVR would fix it but at another $10 a month and I'm done. I give them $220+ a month now and I'm not paying any more!
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 463 of 776
Maybe someone could ping ComcastNeal or NickM about this? I bet they would be interested in solving it.
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 464 of 776

Like I said, I seem to recall the RNG-150s having a similar issue but I got rid of them over 1.5 years ago so my memory of it isn't super clear.

We cut back elsewhere on our Comcast bill (ditched home phone) to make the extra $20 more tolerable.

Remember your Xi3's are already costing you $10 each so replacing them with a DVR is an additional $10/month for each one you swap out.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 465 of 776
Yes my bill would go up $10+ taxes more a month because they have an equipment problem! I'm not doing it. They get over $2600 a year now from me. No more. I'm real close to building an internet tv system!
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 466 of 776

I am glad Comcast Zach chimed into your other thread. I think Comcast needs to be aware of this issue sooner than later. At first glance it reeks of a firmware issue.

Please update us.

depputylynch wrote:
Yes my bill would go up $10+ taxes more a month because they have an equipment problem! I'm not doing it. They get over $2600 a year now from me. No more. I'm real close to building an internet tv system!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 467 of 776

None of this makes since.I've been and electronic technician for many years. I've set up many home theaters.  If the home theater receiver  is connected with an HDMI cable from you XI or the XI3 and  the audio is set on the X1 or XI3 to surround and you tune to HBO live and you receiver shows that the signal is in Dolby surround and you can ear it.Then when you switch to on demand and watch the same movie and the receiver tells you the that the signal is PCM and the sound is no longer Dolby surround and you can hear its only stereo. Then problem is the Comcast audio transmission from the on demand servers. They have to fix it.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 468 of 776

This appears to be an Xi3 issue. It is not an X1 DVR issue. I just watched last night's True Detective On Demand on one of my three Arris DVRs and the DD 5.1 was fine. But as I said earlier, this was once an issue with RNG150s.

But I did not keep RNG-150s long enough to see if Comcast ever fixed it.

To me, the problem sounds simple. When watching On Demand, Comcast is not sending 5.1 signal over the MoCA or the Xi3 isn't receiving 5.1 audio over the MoCA. The fix may not be so simple.

jfde wrote:

None of this makes since.I've been and electronic technician for many years. I've set up many home theaters.  If the home theater receiver  is connected with an HDMI cable from you XI or the XI3 and  the audio is set on the X1 or XI3 to surround and you tune to HBO live and you receiver shows that the signal is in Dolby surround and you can ear it.Then when you switch to on demand and watch the same movie and the receiver tells you the that the signal is PCM and the sound is no longer Dolby surround and you can hear its only stereo. Then problem is the Comcast audio transmission from the on demand servers. They have to fix it.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 469 of 776

I wonder if this has ever worked properly with the Xi3? We didn't start seeing posts with this specific problem with it until very recently..

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 470 of 776

Who knows? Xi3's have been around for awhile now but has it taken this long for people to start installing them in surround audio systems?

As I just mentioned, I did not stick around with RNG150s long enough to find out if Comcast ever fixed it.

I still think it is a firmware issue... Could be as simple as changing some sort of detection "flag" in the firmware. That being said, I think Comcast made a HUGE mistake in not installing a digital audio output on the Xi3.

I am curious. To those experiencing this issue, do you have a Pace or Arris DVR???

scjohnson312 wrote:

I wonder if this has ever worked properly with the Xi3? We didn't start seeing posts with this specific problem with it until very recently..

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 471 of 776

I ve just solved the audio problem.I had the newly exchanged DVR in my living room connected to a Panasonic flat panel TV because I needed  analog audio out for an old receiver  and the XI3 in my home theater.Well; I swapped the DVR to may home theater and  I now get Dolby digital surround from all sources whether is On demand or live. So the problem is the XI3's So I'm happy now!

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 472 of 776

Glad you solved your issue. HOWEVER swapping box locations was mentioned earlier in this thread and it is discussed very often in this forum. I can think of at least two other threads (dealing with the Xi3 specifically) where swapping box locations was mentioned.

I believe Comcast Nick is aware of this issue. Lets hope it gets fixed.

jfde wrote:

I ve just solved the audio problem.I had the newly exchanged DVR in my living room connected to a Panasonic flat panel TV because I needed  analog audio out for an old receiver  and the XI3 in my home theater.Well; I swapped the DVR to may home theater and  I now get Dolby digital surround from all sources whether is On demand or live. So the problem is the XI3's So I'm happy now!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 473 of 776

Swapping the boxes out will definitely work, but I have 2 surround sound systems, so I would need a second, full DVR box at an additional cost!

I'm not willing to do that when I'm convinced Comcast can fix the issue once they get the right person on it.

Also, can anyone tell me if 2 DVR's will even work with the X1 system?

Where will recordings pull from?

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 474 of 776

Please check your private messages.

deputylynch wrote:

Swapping the boxes out will definitely work, but I have 2 surround sound systems, so I would need a second, full DVR box at an additional cost!

I'm not willing to do that when I'm convinced Comcast can fix the issue once they get the right person on it.

Also, can anyone tell me if 2 DVR's will even work with the X1 system?

Where will recordings pull from?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 475 of 776

I'm sure you can get the 2nd dvr , the problem is the the 2nd DVR will cost more than $10. I think is $15 or $17. call  Comcast and find out. Oh by the way, I do'nt know  if my DVR is Harris or Pace. mine has a 2nd HDMI input. witch the the previous one did no have..

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 476 of 776

jfde wrote:

I'm sure you can get the 2nd dvr , the problem is the the 2nd DVR will cost more than $10. I think is $15 or $17. call  Comcast and find out. Oh by the way, I do'nt know  if my DVR is Harris or Pace. mine has a 2nd HDMI input. witch the the previous one did no have..

On the front by the power button.. XG1-A = Arris; XG1-P = Pace

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 477 of 776

Thaks for the information. Then mine is a Pace and works normal.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 478 of 776
I'm having this issue as well. I recently swapped my RNG150s for Xi3s, one of which is connected via hdmi to my onkyo receiver. When I had first received the RNG150, it would output 5.1 audio for live TV and on demand programs but not for recordings that were played from the DVR. My temporary solution was to use a digital coaxial audio cable (from the RNG150 to the receiver). A few months later, however, an update was realsed that allowed 5.1 audio to be outputted for XOD, live TV and the recordings from the RNG150N. Now with the Xi3, we seem to be experiencing the exact opposite issue (5.1 surround audio is outputted from xi3 when watching recordings and live TV but not when watching on demand programs). This is apparently an issue that is only experienced on the xi3 and I think, from my past experiences, this is something Comcast must resolve on their end with a future update. Any thoughts?
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 479 of 776

It's been discussed. Comcast is aware.

js029 wrote:
I'm having this issue as well. I recently swapped my RNG150s for Xi3s, one of which is connected via hdmi to my onkyo receiver. When I had first received the RNG150, it would output 5.1 audio for live TV and on demand programs but not for recordings that were played from the DVR. My temporary solution was to use a digital coaxial audio cable (from the RNG150 to the receiver). A few months later, however, an update was realsed that allowed 5.1 audio to be outputted for XOD, live TV and the recordings from the RNG150N. Now with the Xi3, we seem to be experiencing the exact opposite issue (5.1 surround audio is outputted from xi3 when watching recordings and live TV but not when watching on demand programs). This is apparently an issue that is only experienced on the xi3 and I think, from my past experiences, this is something Comcast must resolve on their end with a future update. Any thoughts?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 480 of 776

I also have a onkyo TX-NR636.with my Dolby Atoms set up.My pace X1DVR is connected to my receiver via HDMI cable and from the receiver to my BenQ 1070. I receive 5.1 Dolby surround from all movie channels including on demand.  The XI3 boxes will not output Dolby 5.1 Dolby from the on demand movies. The output is PCM stereo . Comcast is aware of it. So;set your TX-NR626 to Dolby digital surround  and you should see the the Dolby logo lit up in red and green on the TX-NR636. If the red Dolby logo does not light up, then the autput is only PCM stereo and you also can her the sound difference .It's compressed and no dynamic range. Make sure that you set the XI DVR to surround on the audio settings. I don't know if  the Harris DVR has any audio problems as the XI3's.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 481 of 776
Tried to read all posts, so I apologize if I missed something. Upgraded to X1 this week. I had optical audio from old box to receiver, and it worked just fine. I connected that same cable to my XG1-A and I don't get audio thru my receiver. I tried both stereo and surround settings on the box, but nothing. How do I enable optical audio? Do I need to set up some "pass thru" option? I seem to recall that via the on-screen menu on my old box. Tnx.
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 482 of 776

The digital audio output of the X1 boxes are on all of the time. There are no settings for it.

I suspect the issue could be with your receiver. Most receivers have the ability to select if an input is receiving it's input signal from an analog input, a digital input or both. I think your receiver may not be set correctly. Look for a button on your receiver called something like "input mode" and set it to auto.

Fiber optic cables are VERY fragile. You might want to try another one. Also, fiber optic cables need to be firmly seated in the sockets. Sometimes they require one extra little push to pop them into place. Fiber optic jacks usually have a little door that folds out of the way when you plug in a cable. I would make sure the little doors aren't broken. I've seen it before.

I suppose there is a small chance the X1 box could be bad. It's rare but it's possible.

If this doesn't help, please post the exact and complete model number of the receiver.

lawnguru wrote:
Tried to read all posts, so I apologize if I missed something. Upgraded to X1 this week. I had optical audio from old box to receiver, and it worked just fine. I connected that same cable to my XG1-A and I don't get audio thru my receiver. I tried both stereo and surround settings on the box, but nothing. How do I enable optical audio? Do I need to set up some "pass thru" option? I seem to recall that via the on-screen menu on my old box. Tnx.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 483 of 776

I will check the cable and the insertion.  My receiver (Sony STR-DH510) was working just fine with the old box - and I verified that the input is set to "auto."

A different cable didn't change anything.  I did discover that the remote controls the receiver volume nicely when I select the correct input - just doesn't get the audio.  The connector door is operating fine, and the cable is snug in there.  I see a red light glowing, so something is alive!

Thanks in advance for any additional thoughts.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 484 of 776

It may have worked with the old box but something has obviously changed so you really can't rule anything out until it is fixed.

I see your Sony receiver has HDMI jacks. Why are you even using a fiber optic digital audio cable?

Run an HDMI cable from the X1 box to the Sony. 2nd HDMI cable from the Sony to your TV. Should be that easy...

The audio sent over an HDMI cable is higher quality (less compressed) than the audio sent over a fiber optic digital audio cable.

I know that doesn't yet explain why the fiber optic digital audio isn't working but you should use HDMI connections whenever possible.

As I mentioned ealier, you may have a bad X1 box. Do you have another device in the house (such as another cable box of Blu-ray player) that you can temporarily swap into that location for testing?

You may need to check Input Assignments (page 54 of your owners manual).

lawnguru wrote:

I will check the cable and the insertion.  My receiver (Sony STR-DH510) was working just fine with the old box - and I verified that the input is set to "auto."

A different cable didn't change anything.  I did discover that the remote controls the receiver volume nicely when I select the correct input - just doesn't get the audio.  The connector door is operating fine, and the cable is snug in there.  I see a red light glowing, so something is alive!

Thanks in advance for any additional thoughts.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 485 of 776

if this is this hard - then comcast should be deleted as an option.  It is 2015 - it shouldn't be this hard - surround sound has been around for 25 years 

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 486 of 776

Please chillax a little bit. In this particular case we simply don't know enough to be able to pin this issue squarely on Comcast...

I happen to think this particular customer has audio system setup issues...

applehazar wrote:

if this is this hard - then comcast should be deleted as an option.  It is 2015 - it shouldn't be this hard - surround sound has been around for 25 years 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 487 of 776

I have no idea how I happened upon this configuration.  I'm guessing that something didn't work right at some point, so i just started plugging in cables until stuff worked!

Anyway, I pulled it all apart, and used only HDMI thru the receiver.  Everything works as expected. I did learn one thing about my receiver.  When in "pass thru" mode, the input has to be set to "cable" (as opposed to BD, or other devices) in order for the signal to pass thru when I turn off the receiver (I don't always have the receiver on when I view TV shows).

So, optical is gone, so I still don't know why it works.  If it ain't broke...

Thx for the help - and the push to clean up the mess!

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 488 of 776

Well done guru...!!!

lawnguru wrote:

I have no idea how I happened upon this configuration.  I'm guessing that something didn't work right at some point, so i just started plugging in cables until stuff worked!

Anyway, I pulled it all apart, and used only HDMI thru the receiver.  Everything works as expected. I did learn one thing about my receiver.  When in "pass thru" mode, the input has to be set to "cable" (as opposed to BD, or other devices) in order for the signal to pass thru when I turn off the receiver (I don't always have the receiver on when I view TV shows).

So, optical is gone, so I still don't know why it works.  If it ain't broke...

Thx for the help - and the push to clean up the mess!

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 489 of 776

And, you are correct...I have issues...lots of issues!  Only one of them is audio-related! Smiley Happy

On to the next crisis...

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 490 of 776
It's TV. It's new technology at least to the cc support group
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 491 of 776

A good sense of humor would not appear to be one of your "issues".

Glad you fixed it.

lawnguru wrote:

And, you are correct...I have issues...lots of issues!  Only one of them is audio-related! Smiley Happy

On to the next crisis...

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 492 of 776

I now remember why I had such a bizarre config.  As you know, HDMI-CEC can be a headache, and apparently the X1 system is not immune.  I recall having problems with signals, and optical was a way around it.  Now that I'm "all HDMI," I have to leave CEC on if I want my receiver to pass HDMI signals when it's off.  So, now I'm stuck with CEC in my current config.  If I have any more problems, and CEC/X1 compatibility is the culprit, I have to rip it all apart again...and the audio problems will most likely reappear.  Alas...

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 493 of 776
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 494 of 776

i have a bose cinemate 120 and the sound cuts in and out with my x1 box.  i have the sap off, and video description as the sap language.  i had no issues with my previous box and my cinemate.  ideas?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 495 of 776

My guess is that you are using HDMI between the X1 box and the Bose?

X1 does sound differently than the legacy RNG200/150 series.

X1 attempts to read the EDID info over the HDMI connection.  If it deciphers it incorrectly, something might not work.

I know someone who bought some kind of EDID device to overcome this issue.

But I can't be certain what I say applies to you.  I don't have any Bose equipment.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 496 of 776

I have read most of the posts in this thread regarding the fact that the X1 boxes detect EDID info from HDMI, and force PCM if they don't detect surround in the final device in the chain. Here is my setup: XG1-P DVR ---> HDMI to Mits 65" DLP ----> Coax out to Sony A/V receiver. Using this setup I can only get PCM to the receiver.

Using the older Comcast Motorola DVR, I could get the Dolby Digital Bitstream to pass through the Mits TV to the Sony A/V receiver. My work around is to use the Toslink output on the XG1-P.

OK - so I understand the limitation, and I have a work around, but.... why can't Comcast simply add a setting to the XG-1P to force a bitstream output instead of PCM? This would solve a large percentage of the reported issues in the 10 pages of this thread.

Yes... I know that I can use Toslink.... the point is that I use the TV to control inputs instead of the AV receiver. If I rewire to the AV Receiver, I will now have to deal with another remote, and totally re-wire the entire system. I will also give up my separate calibration for my discrete inputs on the TV. (Cable, Antenna, Blu-ray, and DVD Changer)

Is there any update in the works to allow a setting to force bitstream and override the EDID info?

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 497 of 776
Expect a lot of issues with the X1 box and a bunch of COMCAST ppl that don't give 2 Craps about it long as you pay your bill to keep their salaries there cool otherwise I've been having issues for over a month and they refuse to send a tech to work on it I just can't flucking wait for my contract to be over and get away from them
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 498 of 776

Which XG1-P do you have? If you have the old one with the green power light that is probably your problem.

Get your hands on an XG1-A (Arris made) X1 DVR. It has been known to solve many audio issues for many users. The Arris made X1 DVR has been around for over 1.5 years and in my opinion it remains the best X1 box.

Comcast has no plans to change how X1 boxes auto detect. I asked them over a year ago to turn off the auto detection of audio devices and I was told that won't happen.

smith399 wrote:

I have read most of the posts in this thread regarding the fact that the X1 boxes detect EDID info from HDMI, and force PCM if they don't detect surround in the final device in the chain. Here is my setup: XG1-P DVR ---> HDMI to Mits 65" DLP ----> Coax out to Sony A/V receiver. Using this setup I can only get PCM to the receiver.

Using the older Comcast Motorola DVR, I could get the Dolby Digital Bitstream to pass through the Mits TV to the Sony A/V receiver. My work around is to use the Toslink output on the XG1-P.

OK - so I understand the limitation, and I have a work around, but.... why can't Comcast simply add a setting to the XG-1P to force a bitstream output instead of PCM? This would solve a large percentage of the reported issues in the 10 pages of this thread.

Yes... I know that I can use Toslink.... the point is that I use the TV to control inputs instead of the AV receiver. If I rewire to the AV Receiver, I will now have to deal with another remote, and totally re-wire the entire system. I will also give up my separate calibration for my discrete inputs on the TV. (Cable, Antenna, Blu-ray, and DVD Changer)

Is there any update in the works to allow a setting to force bitstream and override the EDID info?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 499 of 776
I have 2 green boxes and pay 278 a month comcast only wants to suck me dry and won't change the boxes
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 500 of 776

I would never accept that. You need to make a friend at a Comcast retail location...

applehazar wrote:
I have 2 green boxes and pay 278 a month comcast only wants to suck me dry and won't change the boxes