Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

X1 Audio - How does it work and what should I expect?

SOLVED
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 1 of 769

Hello!  My name is Neal.  I work for Comcast in the Technology and Product group.  My focus at Comcast is to ensure the X1 platform operates and integrates properly with 3rd party control systems, surround sound, and other non-typical environments where a set top might not be directly connected to a TV.  Before coming to Comcast I worked in the custom integration/home theater space (CEDIA).  I'm happy to be contributing on Comcast's forum to help you with your concerns and help see your comments/concerns through resolution as they apply to my area of expertise!  This being my first post, I'd like to touch on a hot topic that I've seen here; Surround Sound from X1 set top boxes.  Below are a few key points and issues I've recently dug into.  There are a number of possible configurations and hopefully these quick insights help everyone better understand how our X1 set top boxes operate in these configurations.  If you have any questions or comments or would like me to elaborate more let me know!  

This document has been created to help identify, troubleshoot, and resolve issues related to X1 set top boxes and surround sound systems. These issues could be:

• An audio mode selected under Settings>Device Settings>Audio>Audio Mode is not “sticking” or “holding” to a user’s selection in the X1 UI.
  • There are no audio modes displayed under Settings>Device Settings>Audio>Audio Mode in the X1 UI.
  • “Surround” has been selected and is displayed in the UI but only stereo audio is being sent from the set top box to the customer’s surround sound receiver.

Some of these issues are, in fact, X1 platform issues that the X1 team is working through and fixes are being generated. Others are simply customer education touch points, or a combination of both. First, below is a quick explanation of how X1 set top boxes function in regards to surround vs. stereo modes:

X1 set top boxes will check all HDMI connected devices for their surround capabilities by looking at their “EDID” (Extended Display Identification Data). If surround is not available from the end device, the box will force a stereo output. We are currently not showing any messaging when the audio mode is defaulted back to stereo mode if a surround capable device’s EDID is not detected via HDMI. Our goal is to display messaging in future software releases to inform the customer that their end-audio device is not supported for use with surround sound. If an X1 box is connected via HDMI to a surround sound receiver and a customer is still only able to output a stereo (PCM) signal a customer may experience the following.

Issue 1

“An audio mode selected under Settings>Device Settings>Audio>Audio Mode is not ‘sticking’ or ‘holding’ to a user’s selection in the X1 UI.”

• A customer will usually see this issue when HDMI is being used and the end device is not a surround capable device (example: a stereo TV that cannot decode Dolby Digital signals). If the user has a device connected to the set top box via HDMI the audio setting (including that of the SPDIF/Digital Audio port, if available) will be determined by the HDMI EDID. This configuration may be used when a surround sound receiver does not support HDMI inputs/outputs. A customer might run HDMI to a television and, in order to pass surround sound to the receiver, SPDIF/Digital Audio must be connected from the set top box to the receiver.

• Some newer surround sound receivers have an HDMI pass-through mode that can be enabled. This is sometimes called “AMP+TV” or “HDMI THROUGH.” This mode enables a user to use the TV speakers OR the surround setup when they choose. When this mode is enabled the surround sound receiver passes the EDID information through to the X1 box resulting in the box thinking it should not send surround sound out HDMI. When the pass-through mode is disabled the box only sees the surround sound receiver as the audio device and will send Dolby Digital out through the HDMI. Please refer to the manufacturer’s user manual to disable the pass-through function and allow surround mode to be enabled on the X1 set top box.

Issue 2

“There are no audio modes displayed under Settings>Device Settings>Audio>Audio Mode in the X1 UI.”

• This is a known issue with certain X1 set top boxes (Xi3 and some Arris XG1). The X1 team is working to resolve this bug and the fix will automatically be pushed to set tops when available.

Issue 3

“Surround” has been selected and is displayed in the UI but only stereo audio is being sent from the set top box to the customer’s surround sound receiver.

• Currently, on some Arris X1 set top boxes the UI will indicate that the box is outputting surround sound even when the end device is not capable of decoding a surround sound signal (IE a stereo, non-Dolby TV directly connected to the X1 box or connected through a surround sound receiver with HDMI pass-through enabled). This bug might cause the customer to assume the box is outputting surround sound when it’s actually being forced to stereo mode with inaccurate information in the UI. Refer to Issue 1 for an explanation of why the set top box is forcing stereo mode. A fix for this UI bug is being worked on right now and will automatically push to all Arris boxes when it’s ready.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

768 REPLIES
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 769
Thanks for that info Neal!

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 3 of 769

ComcastNeal wrote:

<snip>

Issue 4

pace x1 greenie DVR version 04e connected to sony receiver. Changed to surround, Sony receiver immediately shows dolby.. select stereo, sony receiver says pcm.. reselect surround and surround still works normally. All of that was to say it appears to work perfectly. Now hit EXIT and go back in to the audio menu. UI says "stereo" the receiver shows dolby and surround is definitely working. This is a confusing 'state' only in the UI display, the sound is working fine. Note in testing for questions on other forum threads I rebooted the box two times while in 'actual' surround and both times came back up in surround (actual) but UI continues to say Stereo. I did not try the new 'mono' mode in 04e version.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 4 of 769

Hi Rustyben thanks for your note!  This is something I also saw in testing and is on the list to correct soon in an upcoming firmware update.  Can you tell me what STB software version you're running?  Go to settings>about and the number will start with a "PX" in that menu.  Thanks!

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 5 of 769

ComcastNeal wrote:

Hi Rustyben thanks for your note!  This is something I also saw in testing and is on the list to correct soon in an upcoming firmware update.  Can you tell me what STB software version you're running?  Go to settings>about and the number will start with a "PX" in that menu.  Thanks!

px001AN 1.3.4p3s3 PRODse

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 6 of 769

ComcastAndrew wrote:
Thanks for that info Neal!

suggested forum board mods. 1) make Subject not changeable unless OP or changed by Comcast edit. (2) set option so images may be added in any reply.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 7 of 769

will the update also apply to the pace boxes? (green led version). in my case the sound seems to cut on and off while in surround mode. it even forgets its on surround mode and i only get stereo output while its in surround mode. iv had this issue for almost a year now and still no fixes. i was also told the fixes were being worked on.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 8 of 769

Neal,

Thank you for your explanation.

I have 3 X1 Pace green light boxes installed in August 2013.  

Audio problem 1 - My X1's are connected to my HDTV's with HDMI and optical to my A/V receivers.  The selection of "surround" in audio settings will not stick - always reverts to "stereo" even though it continues to output surround sound.

Audio problem 2 - When I watch a recording on a DVR that was recorded on another DVR it will not play in surround sound once I hit FF or REW - the DVR will revert to stereo.

Suggestions?

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 9 of 769
Several things.

X1 box has been freezing up recently just about every day, making it impossible to control with the remote unless I unplug and replug. Not sure if power cycling would do the same thing.

Also, I loved the slow mo feature we've had since day 1. It disappeared a while back and wonder if it's going to be brought back?

Please?!!
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 10 of 769
Also power cycling takes about 5 minutes. Is that normal?
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 11 of 769

Jonathon,

This thread is specific to audio problems and I think most of us would like to keep it that way.

1. An X1 box that is freezing is having signal issues. Call in and get a tech out to your house to check your signals.
2. Slo-mo is back as of roughly two weeks ago...

Jonothon wrote:
Several things.

X1 box has been freezing up recently just about every day, making it impossible to control with the remote unless I unplug and replug. Not sure if power cycling would do the same thing.

Also, I loved the slow mo feature we've had since day 1. It disappeared a while back and wonder if it's going to be brought back?

Please?!!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 12 of 769

Neal,

This is very hard to decipher.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR626 and my X1 DVR is connected to it by HDMI and my Samsung LED TV is connected to it by HDMI.

Some days, my X1 DVR sends Dolby Digital 5.1 48hz to my Onkyo.

Other days, it sends PCM 2.1 to my Onkyo and I lose 5.1 and have to toggle Surround/Stereo/Surround to get the X1 DVR to start sending 5.1 again.

I don't see where my issue falls into any of your issues.

What am I missing?  It appears my issue is between the X1 DVR and my receiver.  The TV has no effect on the issue.

Are you saying I should turn off pass-through from the X1 DVR to the receiver?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 13 of 769

Hi RobertWy.  Please see page 65 of your Onkyo TX-NR626 user manual to better understand what the impacts might be, but I recommend disabling "HDMI Through" and "Audio TV Out" for an optimal X1 experience today.  We are working on options on the set top side to allow for these functions to be enabled on AVR's, but today the X1 set tops are looking at the EDID recieved to determine what audio signal should be sent out.  There is a chance your TV's EDID is being sent through to the set top causing it to default to stereo.  While I understand disabling these features may not be ideal for your particular setup, they should be just temporary changes as we work through new scenarios on the set top side for deeper audio settings and options.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 14 of 769

Jonothon wrote:
Also power cycling takes about 5 minutes. Is that normal?

Jonothon I have sent you a PM to help.  Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 15 of 769

Hi ComcastNeal Smiley Happy

Just wanted to say thanks so much for bringing these audio issues to everyone's attention.

I personally have been suffering from the following.

Issue 2

“There are no audio modes displayed under Settings>Device Settings>Audio>Audio Mode in the X1 UI.”

To add to this issue when the Audio settings are missing so is the video settings. And the only way to get both back again I have to reboot the box in my case it's the Arris XG1 with the Blue power light.

Also

Issue 3

“Surround” has been selected and is displayed in the UI but only stereo audio is being sent from the set top box to the customer’s surround sound receiver.

In my case I noitced when I reboot my Arris XG1 the Surround Sound remains selected under the X1 audio settings but my Denon 1610  5.1 receiver shows "Stereo" when it should be showing "Dolby D"

Also not sure if you can answer this ComcastNeal becasue it's not really a Audio issue but I have 2 Pace DVR's with the Green power light and like I said 1 Arris XG1 with the Blue power light and for some reason the whole UI on the Arris XG1 has always been noticeably slower and more sluggish then the same UI on the Pace DVR boxes. I even had the Arris XG1 replaced once and the replacment is no better.

Is it a known fact that the X1 UI runs slower on the Arris XG1 compard to the older pace boxes with the green light. I mainly got the Arris XG1 because it fixed the very popular sound drop out/clipping issues. But the Arris XG1 is clearly more sluggish compared to the pace box.

Is there any hope that a new firmware will be released to make the Arris XG1 as speedy and smooth as the older Pace box?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 16 of 769

I am glad that someone agrees with me about how slow the arris is compared to the pace box....

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 17 of 769
Solution

ComcastNeal wrote:

Hi RobertWy.  Please see page 65 of your Onkyo TX-NR626 user manual to better understand what the impacts might be, but I recommend disabling "HDMI Through" and "Audio TV Out" for an optimal X1 experience today.  We are working on options on the set top side to allow for these functions to be enabled on AVR's, but today the X1 set tops are looking at the EDID recieved to determine what audio signal should be sent out.  There is a chance your TV's EDID is being sent through to the set top causing it to default to stereo.  While I understand disabling these features may not be ideal for your particular setup, they should be just temporary changes as we work through new scenarios on the set top side for deeper audio settings and options.

Neal,

In order to do what you recommend, I must turn off HDMI CEC for ALL my sources.

I don't consider that an option I want to choose, for obvious reasons.

My Surround setting worked for over a year (since June, 2013) with the settings I have now.

What did Comcast change to make Surround NOT work?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 18 of 769

I set up the Pandora App on my X1, and Pandora starts up and shows that a song is playing, but I have no sound.  TV sound is fine,.  X1 Box is connected to my Bose system via HDMI 

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 19 of 769

Pandora does not work over HDMI when the box is set to surround. You either need to set the box to stereo or use a TOSLINK connection for audio.

Comcast Neal... Are you aware of this issue? I have a trouble ticket on this issue and was told a fix would be released 2nd week of October.

choniker wrote:

I set up the Pandora App on my X1, and Pandora starts up and shows that a song is playing, but I have no sound.  TV sound is fine,.  X1 Box is connected to my Bose system via HDMI 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 20 of 769

Thanks, that worked, but it's kind of a pain.  Once you change the audio setting, the TV sound goes off and you have to change it back and then go to another application, on demand or recorded show and the sound comes back.  Hope they can fix this bug.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 21 of 769

I would not get too excited. X1's version of Pandora does not have a screen saver so I rarely use it. I usually use the Pandora apps built into my Blu-ray players because they have screen savers...

choniker wrote:

Thanks, that worked, but it's kind of a pain.  Once you change the audio setting, the TV sound goes off and you have to change it back and then go to another application, on demand or recorded show and the sound comes back.  Hope they can fix this bug.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 22 of 769

RickGr4 wrote:

Pandora does not work over HDMI when the box is set to surround. You either need to set the box to stereo or use a TOSLINK connection for audio.

Comcast Neal... Are you aware of this issue? I have a trouble ticket on this issue and was told a fix would be released 2nd week of October.

choniker wrote:

when you say doesn't work I don't follow. My receiver shows Dolby 5.1 with pandora. If i change to stereo it shows PCM. The only one I have hooked up to a system is a greenie x1 pace.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 23 of 769

Do you have your X1 connected HDMI to your AV receiver??? Pandora seems to work fine when using the TOSLINK connection (this was fixed a couple months ago) but in my case Pandora does not work when using HDMI. I am not alone...

If you do use an HDMI connection and Pandora works when using HDMI and the box is set to surround, this could be a Pace vs. Arris issue.

There is another issue here. I want Pandora to work when the box is set to surround, but that does mean I want my receiver in surround mode when I am listening to two channel stereo audio. I am just enough of an audiophile that I prefer to listen to Pandora in stereo.

What my X1 box is failing to do (and probably the reason why this problem is occurring) is my X1 box is not "downmixing" surround audio to stereo. DVD players and Blu-ray players have had the ability to downmix for as long as I can remember. This appears to be just another X1 blunder...

Maybe your Pace greenie is downmixing properly...

Rustyben wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

choniker wrote:

when you say doesn't work I don't follow. My receiver shows Dolby 5.1 with pandora. If i change to stereo it shows PCM. The only one I have hooked up to a system is a greenie x1 pace.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 24 of 769

ComcastNeal,

Can you also address whether sync issues are being worked on? Specifically, the audio being late.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 25 of 769

Great catch.  I've made the team aware and it's being worked on now.  I've tested this on a Pace and Arris here and found it to only be an issue on the Arris box.  Can folks who have issues please report back here what boxes you're using?  Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 26 of 769

Arris box here and I also get no sound from Pandora when Surround Sound is selected.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 27 of 769

RickGr4 also a great suggestion that I've forwarded along to the apps group.  Thanks for the feedback!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 28 of 769
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 29 of 769

RobertWy wrote:

ComcastNeal wrote:

Neal,

My Surround setting worked for over a year (since June, 2013) with the settings I have now.

Hi RobertWy.  I can understand those frustrations for sure.  What changed is that we are now auto negotiating surround modes and stereo.  I'm working closely with the team to continue using auto modes for simple setups, but also adding features like Bit Stream to allow the audio to simply pass through the X1 box and allow an AVR to decode the audio instead.  We are, as I said in my first post, also working on messaging in the user interface around surround vs. stereo to better inform the user.  We currently do not have an ETA for these features but I'll be sure to keep you all in the loop as things progress.  Thanks very much for everyone's patience and feedback!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 30 of 769

2themax wrote:

ComcastNeal,

Can you also address whether sync issues are being worked on? Specifically, the audio being late.

2themax, can you give me details about your setup?  What box(es) are you seeing this issue on (Pace/Arris XG1, RNG150) and how is/are the box(es) connected (HDMI/optical/stereo analog)?  Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 31 of 769

Actually Robert I know that you have a Harmony 650 and if it is programmed anything like I program mine, you DO want to turn off any and all HDMI-CEC functions. If you don't you will run the risk of your Harmony getting out of sync with your gear. A Harmony remote tries to keep track of which components in your system are on or off. You don't want HDMI-CEC intervening and turning things off when your Harmony thinks they are still on.

A message to anyone using X1 with 3rd party universal remotes... I highly recommend you turn off HDMI-CEC functions for two main reasons:

1. It can confuse your universal remote and knock things out of sync.

2. X1 boxes have demonstrated very inconsistent behavior in regards to HDMI-CEC functions and they give us no way to control it. Therefore I feel it is best left turned off.

Neal, I am highly skeptical in regards to turning off HDMI pass through on AV receivers. I did nothing to improve my situation Arris DVR> 1 year old Marantz receiver> 2 year old Panasonic plasma. I can see why you would suggest it and it makes sense but in my situation it changed nothing...

ComcastNeal wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

ComcastNeal wrote:

Neal,

Hi RobertWy.  I can understand those frustrations for sure.  What changed is that we are now auto negotiating surround modes and stereo.  I'm working closely with the team to continue using auto modes for simple setups, but also adding features like Bit Stream to allow the audio to simply pass through the X1 box and allow an AVR to decode the audio instead.  We are, as I said in my first post, also working on messaging in the user interface around surround vs. stereo to better inform the user.  We currently do not have an ETA for these features but I'll be sure to keep you all in the loop as things progress.  Thanks very much for everyone's patience and feedback!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 32 of 769

RickGr4 wrote:

Do you have your X1 connected HDMI to your AV receiver??? Pandora seems to work fine when using the TOSLINK connection (this was fixed a couple months ago) but in my case Pandora does not work when using HDMI. I am not alone...

If you do use an HDMI connection and Pandora works when using HDMI and the box is set to surround, this could be a Pace vs. Arris issue.

There is another issue here. I want Pandora to work when the box is set to surround, but that does mean I want my receiver in surround mode when I am listening to two channel stereo audio. I am just enough of an audiophile that I prefer to listen to Pandora in stereo.

What my X1 box is failing to do (and probably the reason why this problem is occurring) is my X1 box is not "downmixing" surround audio to stereo. DVD players and Blu-ray players have had the ability to downmix for as long as I can remember. This appears to be just another X1 blunder...

Maybe your Pace greenie is downmixing properly...

Rustyben wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

choniker wrote:

OK good questions. I had not actually looked at the connection since changeover from legacy to X1 equipment. pulled out the pace greenie and it has power, Cable coax, and HDMI only hooked up. 

here is my screen on surround (newest 1.48.18 11/13/2014. The audio UI continues error in displaying stereo when you return to the UI after changing to Surround in that the UI still shows STEREO not "surround' even though still in surround setting. 

http://postimg.org/image/8uxjw21m9/

Message for stereo says pcm 48 and 'icon Left-center-Right only. for surround scrolls "dolby digital 3/2.1" with icon adding SL and SR.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 33 of 769

ComcastNeal wrote:

2themax wrote:

ComcastNeal,

2themax, can you give me details about your setup?  What box(es) are you seeing this issue on (Pace/Arris XG1, RNG150) and how is/are the box(es) connected (HDMI/optical/stereo analog)?  Thanks!

ComcastNeal,

I am seeing this with an Arris XG1 running HDMI directly to a Vizio TV. I'd say the audio is late by about half a second or so.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 34 of 769

Neal, I have a pace px001anm X1 box hooked up to a Marantz 1403 receiver.

I hav the issue where the x1 is set to surround sound and it works but periodically the sound seems to fade away/cutoff. i want to say this happens every 30 min for sake of having a time frame. sometimes within shorter time frames.

also, once i turn it off and then back on, my receiver reads stereo while the x1 is still set to surround. so iv learned to live with this. untill i call comcast to complain when im bored but none of the "x1 experts" know what im talking about. i jump from department to department like a frog trying to get answers or a resolution and even tried aking for a new box. but they suggest i return it at the comcast place thats worse than getting teeth pulled out. i appreciate you showing face (or font in this case) to explain and at leat show vital signs of this issue being worked on. i suggest we all get discounts for having faulty equipment that we rent out but can only use 80% of its features

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 35 of 769

Hey Everyone,

Neal is new here and I am glad Comcast decided to hire someone with his background. I have a feeling his presence will be extremely valuable. HOWEVER I wish to point out that I have some concerns about what Neal posted here. In reading "Issue 1" what Neal states is incomplete to the point of being misleading. The reason is very simple: The audio firmware in the Pace greenie and the Arris DVR behave entirely differently. The Pace Companion boxes are different yet again. The Arris DVR does not do the "auto detection" the same way the Pace boxes do. That is the reason the Arris box solves surround audio issues for so many people.

Also, Neal suggests turning off the HDMI pass through on our AV receivers. I tried that on my main system and it changed for fixed nothing. HOWEVER, after I thought about it for awhile, it occurred to me that changing the HDMI pass through setting COULD help Pace Greenie users... If you have a Pace greenie, I would follow Neal's suggestion and try turning off the HDMI pass through. You have nothing to lose by trying it.

In order to accurately address X1's surround audio issues, I feel it is CRITICAL that the X1 boxes not be lumped together as one group and be treated individually. That is the only way people with audio problems will get their problems solved.

I urge everyone to state exactly which X1 box they are talking about and please remember they have different sets of issues.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 36 of 769

I have an "original" Pace greenie from June 2013.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 37 of 769

RickGr4 wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Neal is new here and I am glad Comcast decided to hire someone with his background. I have a feeling his presence will be extremely valuable. HOWEVER I wish to point out that I have some concerns about what Neal posted here. In reading "Issue 1" what Neal states is incomplete to the point of being misleading. The reason is very simple: The audio firmware in the Pace greenie and the Arris DVR behave entirely differently. The Pace Companion boxes are different yet again. The Arris DVR does not do the "auto detection" the same way the Pace boxes do. That is the reason the Arris box solves surround audio issues for so many people.

Also, Neal suggests turning off the HDMI pass through on our AV receivers. I tried that on my main system and it changed for fixed nothing. HOWEVER, after I thought about it for awhile, it occurred to me that changing the HDMI pass through setting COULD help Pace Greenie users... If you have a Pace greenie, I would follow Neal's suggestion and try turning off the HDMI pass through. You have nothing to lose by trying it.

In order to accurately address X1's surround audio issues, I feel it is CRITICAL that the X1 boxes not be lumped together as one group and be treated individually. That is the only way people with audio problems will get their problems solved.

I urge everyone to state exactly which X1 box they are talking about and please remember they have different sets of issues.

Thanks for your comments RickGr4.  You're correct that the Arris XG1, Pace XG1v1, Pace RNG150, Samsung RNG150, and the newest Xi3 all have their own firmware versions.  Some users may experience different issues across those platform boxes.  The reason for this is due to the differences in chipset manufacturers from box to box.  That said, each one of the boxes I've listed do in fact use the EDID information to determine how sound should be processed.  

I would, however, like to point out that your concerns are valid when it comes to my Issues in the first post.  For issue 1, there is a known issue today that will force an Arris XG1 box into stereo after a reboot even if it's set to surround prior to the reboot.  Even though the box is outputting stereo audio the user interface still indicates it's in Surround mode.  This is being worked on and will be fixed in the next major release or set top firmware so stay tuned there!  I have tested and validated that this issue is resolved in this next major build as it is in pre-release right now in my lab environment.  Even after this release a user COULD still see the issue I bring up in the first post.  The best way to solve it will be to follow my instructions there.  

What we're working on right now is sort of two fold:  First, we want to get all boxes to perform exactly the same way in regards to audio, and we're close here.  My focus is to help the X1 team validate and test several scenarios in these areas to ensure consistancy here.  Second, we will shortly be expanding the audio capabilities of each box allowing for more flexability on every box across both HDMI and optical outputs.

As for your issue in particular, can you give more details in terms of what you're seeing as a problem in your setup?  I understand that you have a Marantz receiver and Panasonic plasma.  I have a few qualifying questions I'd like to be sure I understand though (and allow for others to better understand in case they are seeing the same issues); 

1) Please explain the issue you're seeing in as much detail as you can.  Provide STB software version and XRE Server Version if you can.  I'd like to replicate it in my lab if I havent already.  I keep a very detailed spreadsheet of all combinations I've tested to date.

2) Is your Marantz receiver in "Auto Surround" mode or are you using the receiver to process the audio coming from the STB into PLII or a smilar surround mode?

3) If you have a sit to upload and share photos of your front panel displays on your Marantz receiver when in Stereo and also when the Arris STB is outputting surround it would be very helpful to me.

Thanks again RickGR4!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 38 of 769

Also not sure if you can answer this ComcastNeal becasue it's not really a Audio issue but I have 2 Pace DVR's with the Green power light and like I said 1 Arris XG1 with the Blue power light and for some reason the whole UI on the Arris XG1 has always been noticeably slower and more sluggish then the same UI on the Pace DVR boxes. I even had the Arris XG1 replaced once and the replacment is no better.

Is it a known fact that the X1 UI runs slower on the Arris XG1 compard to the older pace boxes with the green light. I mainly got the Arris XG1 because it fixed the very popular sound drop out/clipping issues. But the Arris XG1 is clearly more sluggish compared to the pace box.

Is there any hope that a new firmware will be released to make the Arris XG1 as speedy and smooth as the older Pace box?

Hi gate1975mim.  Thanks for your question and comments!  I just took a look at your Arris box and noticed it was running an older FW version.  The box is downloading the latest FW now (MX011AN_1.3.4p5s4_PRODse) and should be done within the next half hour.  Please try again after you see the STB Version in settings>about change to MX011AN_1.3.4p5s4_PRODse and let me know if you see an improvement in performance.  If not I have a few other tricks up my sleeve!  Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 39 of 769

Thanks 2themax.  Are you using hte TV speakers or a soundbar connected from the TV?  I just want to be sure I understand your setup 100%.  Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 40 of 769

My Pace firmware version is 1.3.4p3s3.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 41 of 769

Neal - I hope you haven't forgotten about me in post #8.

If you have I'll repeat my issue - 

Neal,

Thank you for your explanation.

I have 3 X1 Pace green light boxes installed in August 2013.  

Audio problem 1 - My X1's are connected to my HDTV's with HDMI and optical to my A/V receivers.  The selection of "surround" in audio settings will not stick - always reverts to "stereo" even though it continues to output surround sound.

Audio problem 2 - When I watch a recording on a DVR that was recorded on another DVR it will not play in surround sound once I hit FF or REW - the DVR will revert to stereo.

XRE Version 1.4.7.18  11/13/2014             STB Version:  PX001AN_1.3.4p3s3

Suggestions?

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 42 of 769

Hi manamok.  Sorry for my delay in responding to your post.  Thank you for the details in your post.  Issue 1 from your post is a known issue and we are currently working through it.  You should see this resolved after your STB Version moves to 2.0.x.  For issue 2, I will put this on my list to test in my lab environment with 3 Pace XG1 boxes next week.  I've been traveling for business and will be back in the office Thursday of next week so I'll try my best to get on this either Thursday or Friday next week.  Thanks again!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 43 of 769

ComcastNeal wrote:

Hi manamok.  Sorry for my delay in responding to your post.  Thank you for the details in your post.  Issue 1 from your post is a known issue and we are currently working through it.  You should see this resolved after your STB Version moves to 2.0.x.  For issue 2, I will put this on my list to test in my lab environment with 3 Pace XG1 boxes next week.  I've been traveling for business and will be back in the office Thursday of next week so I'll try my best to get on this either Thursday or Friday next week.  Thanks again!

Thank you - I appreciate the effort.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 44 of 769

Hi ComcastNeal,

Thanks for sending my Arris XG1 the latest firmware. I saw it downloading and it just installed. Unfortunately there is no change in performace with this new firmware update Smiley Sad

I will try my best to explain what I mean by noticeably slower and more sluggish.

When I first got the Arris XG1 perhaps over a year ago can't remember for sure the UI was fast and smooth just like the Pace box. But then it downloaded a new firmware update the very night I got it and the UI became noticeably slower and more sluggish right after that. Now what I mean is when you bring up "Recordings" for example all the Show names in the recordings list when first displayed is "Jumpy" like it's skipping frames instead of displaying really smooth like on the Pace boxes. And it's the samething with the Last 9 tiles and also all TV/Movie tiles in the On demand and For you sections.

I wish I could explain it better it's easy to see the difference if you had both boxes and  2  tv's side by side.

I would be greatful if you can get this fixed for me Smiley Happy

Thanks

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 45 of 769

Hi gate1975mim.  I'll put two boxes (Arris and Pace) and TVs side by side next week and take a look at performance differences and report my findings to the X1 team for review.  I'll also test with 1.3.5 vs 2.0 firmware and let you know what I find.  Thanks for the report!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 46 of 769

Hi again ComcastNeal,

Just wanted to also let you know I found an old post I made about this issue and the firmware build was dated NOV 13 when I first got that box when it was fast and smooth. Then it got a newer firmware update date "STB Timestamp Fri Dec 13 0057:43 UTC 2013" and that caused the UI to become much slower and sluggish. Some of those issues that I talked about have been fixed since then but soem remain.

Here was the thread from almost a year ago

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/New-Arris-XG1-fixes-Audio-Drop-Outs-but-major-slow-down-and/m-p/2053...

Thanks again

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 47 of 769

ComcastNeal wrote:

Will 2.0 fix my problem with switching to stereo when I have X1 set to Surround?  Or will it just say something like "you need to change your A/V receiver's settings"?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 48 of 769

ComcastNeal wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your comments RickGr4.  You're correct that the Arris XG1, Pace XG1v1, Pace RNG150, Samsung RNG150, and the newest Xi3 all have their own firmware versions.  Some users may experience different issues across those platform boxes.  The reason for this is due to the differences in chipset manufacturers from box to box.  That said, each one of the boxes I've listed do in fact use the EDID information to determine how sound should be processed.  

I would, however, like to point out that your concerns are valid when it comes to my Issues in the first post.  For issue 1, there is a known issue today that will force an Arris XG1 box into stereo after a reboot even if it's set to surround prior to the reboot.  Even though the box is outputting stereo audio the user interface still indicates it's in Surround mode.  This is being worked on and will be fixed in the next major release or set top firmware so stay tuned there!  I have tested and validated that this issue is resolved in this next major build as it is in pre-release right now in my lab environment.  Even after this release a user COULD still see the issue I bring up in the first post.  The best way to solve it will be to follow my instructions there.  I am very aware of this issue. I was one of the very first to spot it. In fact I started a thread on it. RobertWy and myself (along with others) have been monitoring this closely and are anxiously awaiting a fix.

What we're working on right now is sort of two fold:  First, we want to get all boxes to perform exactly the same way in regards to audio, and we're close here.  My focus is to help the X1 team validate and test several scenarios in these areas to ensure consistancy here.  Second, we will shortly be expanding the audio capabilities of each box allowing for more flexability on every box across both HDMI and optical outputs. This is great news but long overdue. Complaints in this forum about these issues can be found dating back as far back as May 2013.

As for your issue in particular, can you give more details in terms of what you're seeing as a problem in your setup?  I understand that you have a Marantz receiver and Panasonic plasma.  I have a few qualifying questions I'd like to be sure I understand though (and allow for others to better understand in case they are seeing the same issues); 

1) Please explain the issue you're seeing in as much detail as you can.  Provide STB software version and XRE Server Version if you can.  I'd like to replicate it in my lab if I havent already.  I keep a very detailed spreadsheet of all combinations I've tested to date. I sent you a PM on 11/12 with that information however my DVR now has XRE 1.47.18.

2) Is your Marantz receiver in "Auto Surround" mode or are you using the receiver to process the audio coming from the STB into PLII or a smilar surround mode? I don't use Auto Surround. My Marantz is set to DD 5.1 when available and Dolby PLII when the material is PCM 2.0

3) If you have a sit to upload and share photos of your front panel displays on your Marantz receiver when in Stereo and also when the Arris STB is outputting surround it would be very helpful to me. I am not able to attache them here. I will try to PM them to you.

Thanks again RickGR4!

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 49 of 769

ComcastNeal wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

Hey Everyone,

I would, however, like to point out that your concerns are valid when it comes to my Issues in the first post.  For issue 1, there is a known issue today that will force an Arris XG1 box into stereo after a reboot even if it's set to surround prior to the reboot.  Even though the box is outputting stereo audio the user interface still indicates it's in Surround mode.  This is being worked on and will be fixed in the next major release or set top firmware so stay tuned there!  I have tested and validated that this issue is resolved in this next major build as it is in pre-release right now in my lab environment.  Even after this release a user COULD still see the issue I bring up in the first post.  The best way to solve it will be to follow my instructions there.  Neal it should be noted that prior to this bug appearing a few months ago (and the above mentioned Pandora audio bug), the audio on all three of my Arris DVRs worked properly in all situations...

What we're working on right now is sort of two fold:  First, we want to get all boxes to perform exactly the same way in regards to audio, and we're close here.  My focus is to help the X1 team validate and test several scenarios in these areas to ensure consistancy here.  Second, we will shortly be expanding the audio capabilities of each box allowing for more flexability on every box across both HDMI and optical outputs.

1) Please explain the issue you're seeing in as much detail as you can.  Provide STB software version and XRE Server Version if you can.  I'd like to replicate it in my lab if I havent already.  I keep a very detailed spreadsheet of all combinations I've tested to date.

2) Is your Marantz receiver in "Auto Surround" mode or are you using the receiver to process the audio coming from the STB into PLII or a smilar surround mode?

3) If you have a sit to upload and share photos of your front panel displays on your Marantz receiver when in Stereo and also when the Arris STB is outputting surround it would be very helpful to me.

Thanks again RickGR4!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 50 of 769

I can't believe that turning off "HDMI Through" amd "Audio TV Out" will make any difference whether I am receiveing PCM or Dolbly 5.1 from my Pace greenie DVR.

Shouldn't this thread be pinned?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon